Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Ashrik posted:

Are you able to change the difficulty mid-game or do you have to start anew if normal isn't challenging/fun enough?

You can change it. Nemesis was wrecking my poo poo a little too much so I bumped it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I have an awful nemesis who blocks everything from the front. Almost killed him, he got a second wind, enraged and then he adapted to me using "a" to jump over him.

I haven't seen him since he killed me but I know he's out there. :ohdear:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nemesis doesn't seem that bad to me yet. Everything feels manageable as long as I'm not an idiot but at least it requires me to actually try unlike the previous game that you could sleepwalk through.

My biggest problem is that I have been playing a lot of nintendo games lately so the A/B and X/Y positions are reversed in my head.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
It gets kinda nuts once you go up in the ranks I find. Orcs level 30+ start getting some nasty traits.

For people who can't vault, remember there's an upgrade that lets you spend focus to do short teleports. Very useful for getting behind vault breaker dudes.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Zore posted:

You upgrade your assault forces and fort with Mirian. The best walls take 3k to buy for instance, adding seige weapons is like 750 etc.

You should really get to act 2. Its so good.

I got all the collectibles in Minas Ithil so I think I'm probably fine to move on to Act 2, but I'm just having so much fun randomly jumping in on orc groups and having captains appear out of nowhere.

Thanks for the tip about Mirian, I figured there had to be some other sink for it besides the war chests and loot boxes.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

It took me about 12 hours to get to act 2, I... get sidetracked easily.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Obviously, you're not a golfer.
so did we ever get a confirmation on the collectibles in act 1? do i need to do all this side content before moving on to act 2? if i forget something, am i locked out of getting the completionist trophies (yeah, yeah)?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

jeffLebowski posted:

so did we ever get a confirmation on the collectibles in act 1? do i need to do all this side content before moving on to act 2? if i forget something, am i locked out of getting the completionist trophies (yeah, yeah)?

No. You can go back at any point.

Hell a bunch of act 1 collectibles dont unlock till act 2.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Everyone should just ignore side stuff unless you need the bonus skill points for a power boost and push forward to Act 2 by following the main quests. The game mechanics don't fully unlock until you reach Act 2 and do 1-2 more main quests. You get Dominate + Dominate Captain and unlock Conquest (taking over a region's fortress) + online Conquest.

You can't miss anything due to progression. You can hop between regions at will.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Had an orc today who was actually in love with me, called be beautiful and everything.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How you you unlock the last Fortress Upgrade slot?
It says I should complete the "Fight Pits - Champion" mission and I did, several times even, but the slot is still locked.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

How you you unlock the last Fortress Upgrade slot?
It says I should complete the "Fight Pits - Champion" mission and I did, several times even, but the slot is still locked.

You unlock it per region iirc.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I had to kill my legendary machine orc because on a mission to capture a legendary unashamed orc I killed the machines blood brother so he rushed in to betray me :stare: He got iron will too and yelled "I DIED KNOWING I DID THE RIGHT THING" just before I chopped off his other arm. I'm looking forward to him coming back with more machine parts.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Finally made it out of Act 1 this morning. To even do that I had to send a death threat and kill Hishrash the Dam. Dude was/is a tank with stealth and execution immune as well as the combat regen skill. Took me forever because anytime I got him below half health he'd adapt to vaults and everything else. Then he'd regen his health any time I had to bail and recover

I tried the final mission of Act 1 with him alive but he would reliably show up and wreck my poo poo every time.

:allears:

Love this game.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Is there an easy mode too? Last games combat kicked my rear end, but playing orc keeper was fun.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zore posted:

You unlock it per region iirc.

I have won that mission two times in Nurnen specifically and the slot isn't unlocked.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Sup guys.since *my waifu* is 8 months pregnant this might literally be the last game i ever play , so if you get a friend request on steam from a homicidal looking duck, thats probably me. I promise to avenge all your deaths by dying a lot,and cause a infinite death spiral of vendettas.

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?

Avalerion posted:

Is there an easy mode too? Last games combat kicked my rear end, but playing orc keeper was fun.

Yep, there's an easy mode which is supposed to be about as hard as the last game was. Normal is supposed to be harder and of course nemesis even harder.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

how come there arent any lady orcs? arent orcs just hosed up elves?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

nopantsjack posted:

They're bred in vats so sexual reproduction isn't necessary.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

nopantsjack posted:

They look the same as the bro-orcs

life finds a way

Is this game fun? Sounds like it is.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Obviously, you're not a golfer.

Zore posted:

No. You can go back at any point.

Hell a bunch of act 1 collectibles dont unlock till act 2.

Gyoru posted:

Everyone should just ignore side stuff unless you need the bonus skill points for a power boost and push forward to Act 2 by following the main quests. The game mechanics don't fully unlock until you reach Act 2 and do 1-2 more main quests. You get Dominate + Dominate Captain and unlock Conquest (taking over a region's fortress) + online Conquest.

You can't miss anything due to progression. You can hop between regions at will.

great. thanks for the info.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Andrast posted:

Nemesis doesn't seem that bad to me yet. Everything feels manageable as long as I'm not an idiot but at least it requires me to actually try unlike the previous game that you could sleepwalk through.

My biggest problem is that I have been playing a lot of nintendo games lately so the A/B and X/Y positions are reversed in my head.

Ugh, me too. Playing Zelda for the last few weeks have reversed everything in my brain so I have failed EVERY SINGLE LAST STAND so far. It's very frustrating.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Holy poo poo skulking around Gorgoroth is amazing. Chilling under Mount Doom itself and being able to see Barad-dur in the distance is awesome.

Edit: Also my nemesis appears to have followed me there, after cheating death from our first encounter. Leave me alone you jerk!

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 11, 2017

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

bgreman posted:

Overall, I think the increased use of orc gimmicks is great. I've had two different orcs ambush me while doing normal collectathon stuff and I've read about several others here. I really like the idea of tying orcs showing up to other game mechanics, and I'm barely into the story at all.

I agree, the sheer number of triggers even this early into the game is really cool, and fairly surprising. I had an ambusher who's trigger was to show up just as I had gotten away from some other orcs.

Does anyone know if drops work similar to the first game? Garantee a certain drop via kill weapon? I've only ever gotten one basic bow drop and I'm guessing it's because I basically never use the bow because I'm playing on PS4.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Ugh, me too. Playing Zelda for the last few weeks have reversed everything in my brain so I have failed EVERY SINGLE LAST STAND so far. It's very frustrating.

Pretty much. All of the normal combat comes from muscle memory no problem but when it's QTE time (or any variant counter button) it's gently caress-up city.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Aquasnake posted:

I agree, the sheer number of triggers even this early into the game is really cool, and fairly surprising.

I think this must be at least partially in response to people complaining that it was too easy in SoM to disconnect from the Nemesis system. I don't recall being ambushed in that game very often, so it was always a very explicit decision to go find a captain and mess with him. Here, the orcs are clearly trying to mess with me as much as I'm messing with them and giving me no choice but to interact with the Nemesis system.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Drakes loving own, holy gently caress. :allears: :supaburn:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Just met Dush Thunder-Bowels

GOAT

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Without spoiling too much, could anyone tell me how many areas we visit/how deep into Mordor we go? I'm in the second area, but still in Act 1, I guess.

Spoil one thing for me, do we go back to the Black Gate or the Sea of Nurn?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

"I don't want the fort. I don't want the fort. I never wanted the fort."

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Snuffman posted:

Without spoiling too much, could anyone tell me how many areas we visit/how deep into Mordor we go? I'm in the second area, but still in Act 1, I guess.

There are five areas, each of them very distinct. They're also all over Mordor. As far as I know you never revisit the SoM areas, but I'm only in Act II.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I had to kill my legendary machine orc because on a mission to capture a legendary unashamed orc I killed the machines blood brother so he rushed in to betray me :stare: He got iron will too and yelled "I DIED KNOWING I DID THE RIGHT THING" just before I chopped off his other arm. I'm looking forward to him coming back with more machine parts.

I had a surviving poison assassin come back after me with a fake hand. Ended that with losing the other arm and his leg. I hope he made it and comes back so I can hack off the other leg. :allears:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SettingSun posted:

There are five areas, each of them very distinct. They're also all over Mordor. As far as I know you never revisit the SoM areas, but I'm only in Act II.

You revisit Nurn, the second area from SoM. It's not the same map though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Snuffman posted:

You go to the island you could see off the coast in Nurn in the first game, but you don't return to the Black Gate. There are five areas total right now, apparently six with the DLCs.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I killed an ork while he was pissing last night, he's probably going to come back and give me the Trump isn't he?

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
On bringing orcs with you between zones: I don't have branding yet, but the Poisoner I mentioned earlier ambushed me shortly after entering the second area. He tracked me across regions because he just wants to keep experimenting on my body with poisons soooo much.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Hihohe posted:

Just lol if you arnt blasting this when you are sieging a fort

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqvb_n8NZJ8

This tark knows what the gently caress is up

[quote="“FactsAreUseless”" post="“477276674”"]
I don’t want to pick this up at full price, what are some fun ways I can make Shadow of Mordor more challenging?
[/quote]

[quote="“Shalebridge Cradle”" post="“477276857”"]
Cdkeys.com has it for $48

Alternatively: never upgrade your health, stick your hands in ice until they are numb, wear boxing gloves.
[/quote]

This man-filth also knows what the gently caress is up. I missed the green man gaming bandwagon but now I got it at about the same discount through cdkeys. Thank you!

To Mordor! :black101:

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
OK, haven’t gotten far in yet, but the arena bit in Act 1 was awesome. End cutscene in particular was great. Got a kick out of my nemesis returning, although probably not for the usual reason. See, I had a habit in SOM of trying to avoid dying and tending to revenge myself any time I did die. So didn’t really have any memorable Nemesis orcs for Forge until I finally picked one captain to try to pump up on the principle he was a Poet so he’d be amusing at least. But, since it went against the grain to die to him deliberately, I started boosting him up by using his fear of fire against him. I’d shoot a nearby explosive and let him go up in flames, get terrified, and flee from me a bunch which with successfully escaping got him up the ranks as a Nemesis. Was kind of a habit - “Oh hello again!” TWANG BOOM AHHHH! “See you next time!”. So when he popped up in the arena with a mortal vulnerability to fire, there was really only one course of action. RIP Zunn the Poet, you died how you lived; running around burning and screaming.

Though plot wise I’m getting annoyed with Talion. Dude I expect Celembrimbor to be all about terrible decisions, that’s his family schtick really. I did not realize I’d be nursemaiding TWO morons through the game. Seriously, stop trusting the giant evil spider. It may feel good every time she snuggles up to whisper her latest BS, but those aren’t tits they’re probably poison glands!

EDIT: Oh, if folks haven’t already seen it, I got a laugh from watching ologs drink from grog barrels, they basically stick their heads inside it. Though they can survive the poison it seems.

MadDogMike fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MadDogMike posted:

It may feel good every time she snuggles up to whisper her latest BS, but those aren’t tits they’re probably poison glands!

I'm pretty sure they're just full of smaller spiders.

• Locked thread