Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Jaxyon posted:

Leftists, liberals, centrists, and alt-right trolls.

If you're arguing that the percentages aren't the same, you're missing the point.

This is a place where people who have political beliefs talk. The way they talk here is the same way they talk elsewhere.

"but this is a message board, you guys aren't important" is more or less the most obvious and dumb take and I have to laugh at people making it.

loving lol if your actually putting effort into the arguments you make here

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

MizPiz posted:

loving lol if you're attempting to try and feel superior to a message board you post on

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I'm mainly disappointed because it's such a missed opportunity to really look tough and serious and strong at no cost to themselves. They really dropped the ball on getting ahead of this scandal, the first anyone should have heard of it should have been Obama wearing a Weinstein-skin hat to back up his speech on how gravely disappointed he was with HW's actions. It'd show the American public that the Democrats are serious politicians, that they're not to be hosed with, and it'd serve as a sufficiently intimidating display to keep the donor class in line.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

MizPiz posted:

*you're

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Democrats spent more effort promoting Obama killing a fly, than stopping Weinstein's terror.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Condiv posted:

that's pretty hosed up of you to say jc. not surprising considering the racist poo poo you've said in defense of dems before

Condic i am on your sude. Once again JC is being a racist. But you have no proof of your claims. This isn't like the Clintons.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Condic i am on your sude.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

botany posted:

Condic i am on your sude.

it's the thought that counts

edit: removed accidental derogatory slang :doh:

Condiv fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 11, 2017

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

that's pretty hosed up of you to say jc. not surprising considering the racist poo poo you've said in defense of dems before

Pretty hosed up for you to accuse the people calling out racism of being the real racists, but this isn't the first time.

I'm sorry that you don't understand how your crazy unfounded accusations about obama's character and motivations interact with his race to reinforce ugly stereotypes.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

Pretty hosed up for you to accuse the people calling out racism of being the real racists, but this isn't the first time.

I'm sorry that you don't understand how your crazy unfounded accusations about obama's character and motivations interact with his race to reinforce ugly stereotypes.

it might help if i had suggested any such thing about obama. too bad you were too busy trying to say racist poo poo huh?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Condiv posted:

it's the thot that counts

Whoa, I don't think you are supposed to call people that.

Women are people, Condiv.

JeffersonClay posted:

Injecting racism into other people's words that isn't there isn't "calling out" anything bud.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 11, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Nevvy Z posted:

Whoa, I don't think you are supposed to call people that.

Women are people, Condiv.

whoa. i literally did not know about that slang :prepop:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jaxyon posted:

Leftists, liberals, centrists, and alt-right trolls.

If you're arguing that the percentages aren't the same, you're missing the point.

This is a place where people who have political beliefs talk. The way they talk here is the same way they talk elsewhere.

"but this is a message board, you guys aren't important" is more or less the most obvious and dumb take and I have to laugh at people making it.

It's not, it's a place where one point of view clearly dominates, to the point that the other is not even present, it makes no sense to use the argument of "what if the opposition sees us arguing" when the opposition isn't present. According to this logic nobody should ever admit any fault under any circumstances.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
There's no racism in the suggestion a black man, obsequiously loyal to the white oppressor, would give his daughter to a white rapist in order to eke out a little more financial benefit, no sir. That's certainly not anything like the Uncle Tom archetype, not at all. It is in fact very racist to suggest such an outrageous connection.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Imagine a Dem party convention where nobody can talk about reforming the internal structures because doubting their efficacy is a bad look.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

JeffersonClay posted:

There's no racism in the suggestion a black man, obsequiously loyal to the white oppressor, would give his daughter to a white rapist in order to eke out a little more financial benefit, no sir. That's certainly not anything like the Uncle Tom archetype, not at all. It is in fact very racist to suggest such an outrageous connection.

truly it would be the first time in history a child was placed under the authority of a pervert

it's a sign of privilege that nobody in obama's circle felt like digging into the past of the man who would be associated with his family members even though there were objectively thousands of people with first or second hand knowledge that something was afoot

it's a sign of oligarchy that the donor and political classes are intertwined in an incestuous freak show

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 11, 2017

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

Imagine a Dem party convention where nobody can talk about reforming the internal structures because doubting their efficacy is a bad look.

The centrist ideal world.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

It's not, it's a place where one point of view clearly dominates, to the point that the other is not even present, it makes no sense to use the argument of "what if the opposition sees us arguing" when the opposition isn't present. According to this logic nobody should ever admit any fault under any circumstances.

Especially when we have a vast avalanche of recent examples to the contrary that refute the implication that a party debating itself somehow weakens it. If anything it draws people in, either to see the spectacle, see if the party has a chance of reforming, or if the party is holding to its integrity.

JeffersonClay posted:

It's a good thing that he never said he 'gave his daughter' to Weinstein. Only that her interning for him suggests a level of closeness that doesn't fit with "anonymous hollywoodite donor"

I don't even think Obama is important to Weinstein making democrats look bad, but at least be honest with your retorts.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Jesus. Now I know why USPOL is always closed. might as well get it over with and move this chat to the thunderdome.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

it'd help if i actually suggested that

too bad you were in such a rush to make racist posts that you forgot to check that i did!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
it turns out the second there is anything to either debate or discuss people demand debate and discussion cease

real fuckin' hard

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah D&D where nobody disagrees on anything and is a hive mind.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Jaxyon posted:

I don't think that's true.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jaxyon posted:

It is a good thing when there is conflict among like minded people. A party with no factionalism is a farce. The point is, the conflicts here do not in any shape or form reflect the conflicts in society as a whole, they take place on a tiny little segment of the spectrum.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Angry_Ed posted:

Yes you're right only Democrats ever nurtured a relationship with Weinstein. Oh wait, no.

This is one of those funny "so close yet so far" posts.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

It is a good thing when there is conflict among like minded people. A party with no factionalism is a farce. The point is, the conflicts here do not in any shape or form reflect the conflicts in society as a whole, they take place on a tiny little segment of the spectrum.

Is it this segment?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Condiv posted:

it'd help if i actually suggested that

too bad you were in such a rush to make racist posts that you forgot to check that i did!

People should keep in mind that ambitious kids and parents kept competing for internships and jobs with Berlusconi and his corps even years into his very public stint as a manwhore, child molester and a serial rapist.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Sadly, corruption in politics is expected, but this makes them look weak and out of touch. I mean, it's basically the age of strongman politics - dramatic gestures to demonstrate strength are what counts in this day and age.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

This is one of those funny "so close yet so far" posts.

Funny how certain people here are only worried about the rapist who gave money to a political party vs. the party of rapists running the government. Funny how certain people here are perfectly fine with adopting republican arguments designed to depress Democrat turnout and distract from the usual GOP fuckery.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

steinrokkan posted:

It depends on what the conflict is. Some conflicts that happen here are pretty broad.

I don't see people in this conversation talking about Maoism vs Hoxhaism right now they were talking about non-republicans adopting republican framing which is indeed a larger problem outside of a message board.

But some folks are trying to present themselves as the adults in the room by saying it's only a message board like that's a hot take

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
okay somebody explain horseshoe theory to me. i see it referenced a lot but i never saw an explanation for it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

Funny how certain people here are only worried about the rapist who gave money to a political party vs. the party of rapists running the government.

Publicly exorcizing the rapists out of the former party will help remove the latter party from power.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jaxyon posted:

It depends on what the conflict is. Some conflicts that happen here are pretty broad.

I don't see people in this conversation talking about Maoism vs Hoxhaism right now they were talking about non-republicans adopting republican framing which is indeed a larger problem outside of a message board.

But some folks are trying to present themselves as the adults in the room by saying it's only a message board like that's a hot take

It's not a right wing framing, it just happens to be an issue that the right wing exploits, and the left has to tackle as a problem. Talking about this poo poo helps ensure it won't happen again and won't provide the right wing with ammo. Deal with the fact that nobody and nothing is above criticism.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

Getting the rapists out of the former party will help remove the latter party from power.

Which you will not accomplish by adopting GOP messaging tactics. Stop feeding their narrative, it's as simple as that.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

botany posted:

okay somebody explain horseshoe theory to me. i see it referenced a lot but i never saw an explanation for it.

It's bunk. But people get mad about it.

Sometimes leftists get crazy ideas that randomly align with right wing ideas. Sometimes leftists adopt right wing arguments against Democrats uncritically when they shouldn't. Sometimes literally insane people are just insane.

Horseshoe theory says that "extremism" on either side is just like extremism on the other, so let's not eat rich.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
So am I supposed to believe there are big money donors that aren't sketchy af? If you got rid of all the criminals who would fund our democracy?!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

steinrokkan posted:

It's not a right wing framing, it just happens to be an issue that the right wing exploits, and the left has to tackle as a problem. Talking about this poo poo helps ensure it won't happen again and won't provide the right wing with ammo.

OK how does that not apply outside of a message board?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Nevvy Z posted:

It's bunk. But people get mad about it.

Sometimes leftists get crazy ideas that randomly align with right wing ideas. Sometimes leftists adopt right wing arguments against Democrats uncritically when they shouldn't. Sometimes literally insane people are just insane.

Horseshoe theory says that "extremism" on either side is just like extremism on the other, so let's not eat rich.

well that sounds dumb as hell.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

botany posted:

Both extremes are equally shrill and wrong, the only way to be a reasonable adult is to be a centrist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Ze Pollack posted:

it turns out the second there is anything to either debate or discuss people demand debate and discussion cease

real fuckin' hard

It is the liberal way.

• Locked thread