Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Ebola Roulette posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6clj5u/29757882_in_student_loan_debt_on_paye_plan_with/

:psyboom:

tldr; OP makes $65k and has $300k in medical school debt because he waited until he finished med school to figure out he didn't want to be a doctor. He lives with his parents and spends $1600 a month on useless poo poo.

Guaranteeing yourself a place in heaven is GWM ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'm "Restrictions: I want to start a business"

e: Wait no I'm "I started two e-commerce companies but couldn't even launch them"

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

How ironic, he did all that medical school, but he can't treat his budget hemorrhaging. :(

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

You forgot to bold the most important part.

quote:

active in /r/entrepreneur

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
What a moron. That is an impressive rapsheet of stupid decisions.
His goal is to pay back those loans in 3 years, so he wants to put $10k/mo towards them.
He could have done that on a doctor's salary, had he actually finished.
Then he could have stopped being a doctor to go live his dream of being a junior software developer for a healthcare company.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Rich uncle probably has no kids or lovely kids and just wants to give his favorite nephew a chance to learn how to invest consequence-free with real money. The 50% cut isn't important except to make it more a team effort and maybe hide it's real educational purpose. He's not expecting the kid to make any money and will probably give him the whole balance at some future time.

Because no other answer makes sense. This isn't a Disney channel TV show where the kids are all smarter than the adults.

n8r posted:

The irony of the bodybuilder that is not overcompensating...

Not trying to impress us. He probably impresses the gently caress out of lots of beautiful people at the club while drinking $1000 bottles of Grey Goose.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

canyoneer posted:

His goal is to pay back those loans in 3 years, so he wants to put $10k/mo towards them.
Then he could have stopped being a doctor to go live his dream of being a junior software developer for a healthcare company.

Somebody buy him an account and get him to the Student Loan thread stat.

He'll understand "stat," so all that school wasn't a total waste.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

how am I supposed to stand up with this BWM Boner?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

How does your credit score impact your required payments? Might have made a mistake and need help. [20M]

I signed up on Credit Karma last year and it said that my credit score was "Excellent" at 751.

I got a new credit card and have been putting all my regular and daily spending on it for the past 11 months or so. I also bought some stuff for fun and made some investments (hardware for investing in digital currency) with the card.

I've been paying the minimum payments each month. They are like $35 on Autopay. But recently I had my card declined and couldn't figure out why.

Somehow, I had hit my credit limit already. It says that I have $12,000 and can't make any new charges. But I have barely put $9,500 on there total.

I called and got a credit increase when this happened before, but now they say that they can't do it again.

They said it was because of my loan terms, but my credit score was "Excellent" when I signed up and I checked it again today and it is still good.

I was told that if you have good credit, then you don't need to pay interest. I would think that "Excellent" would qualify as good credit, no?

I told them that they made a mistake by charging me so much and they said that they will review it and get back to me soon. But until then, I have no spending money and they won't lift my credit limit to let me buy food or gas.

Is there some way to get them to fix this ASAP or lift my limit? I have never missed a payment and my credit is still "Excellent" rated. Is it worth it to work with these guys or should I just get a card with a less scummy bank?

Edit: My current score is actually BETTER than it was when I originally signed up. So, would this make a difference to show them? It seems insane that my score could be better than before and this is happening.

I'm working on becoming financially independent through digital currency production and that is my full-time job. That means I can't just work overtime and clear some space. Besides, I don't want to "clear space" for bullshit charges because then they have even less incentive to fix it once they have my money.

Anything I could do before this weekend would be ideal. Their Customer Service is slow and I have already provided them with my payment history and credit score to show that they shouldn't have been charging me interest. I think that since they've been doing it for almost a year that they are trying to cover their asses.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/75r4jr/how_does_your_credit_score_impact_your_required/

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

quote:

I was told that if you have good credit, then you don't need to pay interest. I would think that "Excellent" would qualify as good credit, no?

:eyepop:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

canyoneer posted:

I have a hunch that he got to the residency part, went "wait you mean being a doctor involves interacting with people?!?" and ran away screaming, hence the second choice of computer janitor

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

some investments (hardware for investing in digital currency)

"investing" :allears:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

This has to be fake, right?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/75ko8c/need_advice_about_whether_to_file_a_complaint_for/
Need advice about whether to file a complaint for unethical behavior by a nurse (self.legaladvice)
submitted 20 hours ago by grumpyterrier

quote:

Hello All,
I'll try to keep this brief. This took place in Boston earlier this year. My husband has a chronic health condition for which he needs monthly IV infusions which are given in our home. They typically take about 5 hrs to complete, with an infusion nurse being present the entire time to get everything set up and then monitor vitals approx. every hour, plus change out meds for new bags of fluid, etc.
We had the same infusion nurse for maybe 1.5 years and got comfortable with her and felt her to be very qualified and professional. I'll call her "Kate", not her real name. In feb of 2017 she showed up for the treatment very excited bc she had started selling these amazing lipsticks (Lipsense MLM). Kate proceeded to excitedly proselytize about how great they were and what a good business opportunity this was to both me and my husband during the entirety of the treatment. I was 7 months pregnant at this time and had no interest in selling lipsticks for what seemed like a pyramid scheme.
Over the next few treatments she continued to proselytize about them, mostly to me, bragging about how much money she had made. My husband would normally pass out on the sofa and I would dread being left alone to awkwardly try to avoid discussing Lipsense.
As the months went on she wore me down and I stupidly decided to join her selling team after she promised there was no risk and she would buy back anything I could not sell. We had no money, were about to have our first baby, and I have an ill husband. It felt like it could help our family.
I attempted to make it work but really was not comfortable with the selling techniques or product. It felt sleazy to me trying to sell to friends and family, looking at everyone I knew as an opportunity.
Fast forward to now and I have voluntarily revoked my "distributorship" and am selling the product back to the company. She refused to buy any of the colors back from me when it indeed did not work.
The advice I need is in regards to this: This feels like a predatory and unethical practice by a nurse who spent many hours with us in our home at a time when both my husband and myself were in vulnerable states. She had gotten other patients of hers to sign up in the MLM scheme as well. One is a mom with a terminally disabled daughter who also needed extra income.
Should I file a complaint with the nursing board in Massachusetts or take some other action? She is probably doing this to every patient she has as she thinks it is the greatest thing ever and is extremely driven to succeed in the MLM.
We recently moved to another state so Kate is no longer my husband's nurse.

A home health care nurse preying on a vulnerable population to sell $80 lipstick

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I read tons of books on astrophysics so I'm obviously entitled to be an astronaut.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

ate all the Oreos posted:

I have a hunch that he got to the residency part, went "wait you mean being a doctor involves interacting with people?!?" and ran away screaming, hence the second choice of computer janitor

jackass posted:

I can't continue the residency process. I have 5 failed attempts of the exams required to go into residency.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

canyoneer posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/75ko8c/need_advice_about_whether_to_file_a_complaint_for/
Need advice about whether to file a complaint for unethical behavior by a nurse (self.legaladvice)
submitted 20 hours ago by grumpyterrier

A home health care nurse preying on a vulnerable population to sell $80 lipstick

And you killed the thread's collective boner with a super depressing one, thanks :sigh:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh I missed that, even better :laugh:

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Teeter posted:

I can't continue the residency process. I have 5 failed attempts of the exams required to go into residency.

I'm glad that someone who only fails the test 4 times still gets to be my doctor. And then inevitably get all bitchy with me when I dare to question their opinion on something they spent 30 seconds looking at.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

I have a hunch that he got to the residency part, went "wait you mean being a doctor involves interacting with people?!?"

If that was his problem, that's why radiology is a field. Or surgery.

Folly
May 26, 2010

STAHP! You're gonna give Photex a priapism.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

There are many specialties with minimal patient interaction. One of the best things about medicine is that there's a specialty for everyone.

Oh I missed that, even better :laugh:

Yeah he's just a dumbass.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
65k touching computers
i've never had a computer touching job that paid less than 6 figgies

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Ebola Roulette posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6clj5u/29757882_in_student_loan_debt_on_paye_plan_with/

quote:

Interest alone is $1,656.14/mo, but I can't do it with my salary.

st. loan: $400 (which can increase to $1100)

tldr; OP makes $65k and has $300k in medical school debt because he waited until he finished med school to figure out he didn't want to be a doctor. He lives with his parents and spends $1600 a month on useless poo poo.

So wait, are his student loans just compounding into infinity?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Lead out in cuffs posted:

So wait, are his student loans just compounding into infinity?

They will eventually be forgiven and he will then be saddled with a HUGE tax bill for the forgiven amount.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

H110Hawk posted:

They will eventually be forgiven and he will then be saddled with a HUGE tax bill for the forgiven amount.

which can eventually be bankrupted out of. it's the route that dozens of people I know personally are going, plus tens? hundreds? of thousands across the country. probably 20+ thousand new lawyers a year going that route plus who knows who else

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

which can eventually be bankrupted out of. it's the route that dozens of people I know personally are going, plus tens? hundreds? of thousands across the country. probably 20+ thousand new lawyers a year going that route plus who knows who else

Nothing says structural failure of a generation like a long-term financial plan for your life and professional career that consists of being underemployed relative to your colossal student loan debt, on income based loan repayment for 20 years and then committing intentional bankruptcy in your 40s

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Phanatic posted:

If that was his problem, that's why radiology is a field. Or surgery.

Unfortunately both of those fields require not only passing your boards but doing a reasonably good job at it

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

65k touching computers
i've never had a computer touching job that paid less than 6 figgies

In TYOOL 2017 you have to be super lovely to make less than that. It's pretty much the only reason to touch computers professionally (and making less than 6 figures is your hint that you suck at it and should do something else).

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
drat, now I have to either move to the bay area or accept that I'm worthless.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Sokani posted:

drat, now I have to either move to the bay area or accept that I'm worthless.

Don't worry, friend! You'll be worthless wherever you live!

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't take this website's word for it. There are plenty of others where you can look at the average salaries for your area to find out how worthless you are.

And yeah, the low-end of the pay scale in SF is higher than the high-end for my job here in Cleveland.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

a messed up horse posted:

Don't take this website's word for it. There are plenty of others where you can look at the average salaries for your area to find out how worthless you are.

And yeah, the low-end of the pay scale in SF is higher than the high-end for my job here in Cleveland.
Shout out to the Negotiation Thread if you feel like fixing this.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Motronic posted:

In TYOOL 2017 you have to be super lovely to make less than that. It's pretty much the only reason to touch computers professionally (and making less than 6 figures is your hint that you suck at it and should do something else).

Guess 90% of the people in ops should find new work.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Dustoph posted:

Guess 90% of the people in ops should find new work. seize the means of production

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Dustoph posted:

Guess 90% of the people in ops should find new work.

if you stick the three letters d e v in front, SF companies will pay you 140k pretty routinely
outside of the bay area, still lots break the sixth figgie

the largest bwm and the hardest one to see is not getting paid what you're worth, i think
if the guy was getting paid a proper 120k he wouldn't have to give a poo poo about money even with the idiot med school

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Oh I know. I'm just kind of referencing that people in non dev ops touch computers too and there's a poo poo ton of those jobs across the US (I would assume way more than development jobs since pretty much every company needs IT but not all need developers).And they still make more than 80% of the population so it seems kinda silly to talk poo poo about those jobs as unworthy just because you make more doing a completely different job but in the same field?

Edit: this is in direct reference to the idea that if you don't make six figures but have an IT job you hosed up.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
guess all those contractors who account for most of the tech workforce in Austin all done hosed up, every single last one of them

well, wait maybe

poo poo

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Motronic posted:

please don't troll or sincerely post stupid things in the bwm thread

feller fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
That's for sure. It's a very snobbish and out of touch generalization.

Most generalizations that broad are.