Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

You are my favorite poster about these topics because you bring nuance and rationality where others just bring vitriol. Thanks!

You seriously have zero room to pretend like you have any moral high ground on this.:nallears:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Just because something is an "open secret" in Hollywood doesn't mean "everyone knows and talks about it like the weather." Think of how gossip works in your friend group. Is there someone you've heard bad rumors about but don't know whether they are true or not? Does everyone in your friend group know about the gossip?

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

In anecdotal "State of the Party at the local level" news, I attended a fundraiser for the county dems. It's in a heavily Republican area in southern Indiana, that kinda went purple in 2008, but went full racist last time. We don't have too many Democrats around except a mayor, some council seats and a well-respected county commissioner running on inertia at this point.

I don't anticipate a tectonic shift here, but there IS quite a bit more energy to the local party lately and a lot of people are expressing interest in running and organizing that weren't before. More importantly, we had a bunch of younger adults at the cookout, which was nice to see. We've also got a 30-year-old vocational teacher who's running for state representative, and local educators in general are incredibly pissed about DeVos and poo poo. Sometimes its just nice to see Democrats with a country accent to ward off the sense of isolation that comes from being surrounded by chuds.

We probably can't swing the county blue, but we might be able to hold down the GOP advantage and MAYBE keep Donnelly healthy enough for the cities to do their part. They also had some kickass burgers and hot dogs.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

JeffersonClay posted:

I have no doubt that Weinstein gave her the internship as a means to curry favor.

I do doubt Condiv's assertion that Obama knew Weinstein was a rapist and let his daughter do the internship anyway as a means of securing weinstein's cash.

Rapist don't rape literally every woman they come in contact with; someone can know someone else is a rapist and still feel secure about sending their daughter to work for them given their position and the power they wield.

Still pretty hosed up Obama whored his daughter out to Weinstein.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Grammarchist posted:

In anecdotal "State of the Party at the local level" news, I attended a fundraiser for the county dems. It's in a heavily Republican area in southern Indiana, that kinda went purple in 2008, but went full racist last time. We don't have too many Democrats around except a mayor, some council seats and a well-respected county commissioner running on inertia at this point.

I don't anticipate a tectonic shift here, but there IS quite a bit more energy to the local party lately and a lot of people are expressing interest in running and organizing that weren't before. More importantly, we had a bunch of younger adults at the cookout, which was nice to see. We've also got a 30-year-old vocational teacher who's running for state representative, and local educators in general are incredibly pissed about DeVos and poo poo. Sometimes its just nice to see Democrats with a country accent to ward off the sense of isolation that comes from being surrounded by chuds.

We probably can't swing the county blue, but we might be able to hold down the GOP advantage and MAYBE keep Donnelly healthy enough for the cities to do their part. They also had some kickass burgers and hot dogs.

don't lose hope! a bunch of dems just got elected in my blood red homestate

and they aren't just normal dems, they're actually to the left of the establishment!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

MizPiz posted:

Rapist don't rape literally every woman they come in contact with; someone can know someone else is a rapist and still feel secure about sending their daughter to work for them given their position and the power they wield.

But why did Sasha escape punishment?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

MizPiz posted:

See this isn't racist because you said whored instead of pimped, and anyone suggesting you shouldn't make evidence-free accusations about obama that are indistinguishable from vile racist poo poo on Breitbart is the real racist. I assume Condiv is now writing a sternly worded post about the sexist implications here because that's something he really cares about when he can't use it as a cudgel against democrats.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

See this isn't racist because you said whored instead of pimped, and anyone suggesting you shouldn't make evidence-free accusations about obama that are indistinguishable from vile racist poo poo on Breitbart is the real racist. I assume Condiv is now writing a sternly worded post about the sexist implications here because that's something he really cares about when he can't use it as a cudgel against democrats.

You, also, have no room to pretend like you hold any high ground. You are easily the worst offender in D&D for cynically using issues as cudgels.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

MizPiz posted:

yeah can you not, thanks

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

MizPiz posted:

This is a really dumb loving take that assumes Obama is a robot who ran a risk assessment and determined it was safe for his daughter to be in the same position as other people who got raped because there was only a 2% chance of her getting raped or sexually assaulted. It's not a hill you wanna die on, dude.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

This is a really dumb loving take that assumes Obama is a robot who ran a risk assessment and determined it was safe for his daughter to be in the same position as other people who got raped because there was only a 2% chance of her getting raped or sexually assaulted. It's not a hill you wanna die on, dude.

To put my cards on the table, I agree with this, and I don't think it makes sense to project ill intent or apathy towards his daughter's welfare onto Obama. I think it's much more likely that the dude really was personally clueless about, and insulated from, Weinstein's criminal behavior.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Don't need complex algorithms to figure out that someone won't rape the president's daughter when they want to curry favors from the president.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jaxyon posted:

That's not the dialog though. It's mostly going as hard as possible on Dems and not being constructive.

This is the most loser loving mentality I've ever seen in my life.

Does it upset you when Elizabeth Warren says Democrats need to ween off Wall St.?

Does it upset you when Democratic congressmen say Pelosi needs to step aside?

Does it upset you when Keith Ellison says Democrats aren't the party of the people like they used to be?

All of these "attacks" are coming from within and without the party. If you think people criticizing the Dems is bad then what the gently caress are you even doing in a political forum?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

That's not the dialog though. It's mostly going as hard as possible on Dems and not being constructive.

That's just confirmation bias on your part. Lots of left-wing posters here come up with constructive ideas, or show support for left-Dems' actions, and then get met with, "Heh, you leftists just don't know how the world works!:smug:" from centrists.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Again, rich people kept sending their kids and relatives to work for and with Berlusconi even though it was a matter of public record that he was a sex criminal.

It's a function of privilege, not to have to worry enough to take disconcerning rumors seriously.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Imagine a Dem party convention where nobody can talk about reforming the internal structures because doubting their efficacy is a bad look.

Imagine saying that it's bad to talk about the flaws of Obamacare because it might play into right-wing framing to admit that PPACA was anything less than total perfection. (of course, many people made that exact argument during the election)

Angry_Ed posted:

Funny how certain people here are only worried about the rapist who gave money to a political party vs. the party of rapists running the government. Funny how certain people here are perfectly fine with adopting republican arguments designed to depress Democrat turnout and distract from the usual GOP fuckery.

Plenty of us were pretty concerned about the Trump sexual assault stuff when it came out an entire year ago, even though the Dems have barely mentioned it since then. Hell, since you're so outraged about the "party of rapists" running the government, I'm sure you remember which currently-sitting Cabinet member was once a prosecutor who gave a slap-on-the-wrist sweetheart deal to a billionaire accused of sex crimes, a scandalous case of prosecutorial corruption comparable to the one being raised in the Weinstein case?

It was Alex Acosta, the current Secretary of Labor, who gave Jeff Epstein just 13 months in prison, yet cleared Senate confirmation anyway with the help of eight Democratic senators who crossed the aisle to vote for him. Not that anyone seems to remember, since I don't think anyone from the "but what about Trump's sexual assaults!" camp has thought to bring up this extremely comparable case. Epstein was a good friend of Trump, and allegedly recruited several of his victims at Mar-a-Lago, where he was a regular.

That poo poo's been practically forgotten by the Dems, who haven't bothered to bring it up in months. But as soon as there's a sex assault scandal with a Dem-leaning billionaire, it's really important that everyone ignores it and pays attention to Trump's scandals, even though the people who are urging that don't even remember any of Trump's scandals other than the pussy tape.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Frijolero posted:

Does it upset you when Elizabeth Warren says Democrats need to ween off Wall St.?

Does it upset you when Keith Ellison says Democrats aren't the party of the people like they used to be?

All of these "attacks" are coming from within and without the party. If you think people criticizing the Dems is bad then what the gently caress are you even doing in a political forum?

Slight difference between those criticism and saying Obama "whored out his daughter."

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

That poo poo's been practically forgotten by the Dems, who haven't bothered to bring it up in months. But as soon as there's a sex assault scandal with a Dem-leaning billionaire, it's really important that everyone ignores it and pays attention to Trump's scandals, even though the people who are urging that don't even remember any of Trump's scandals other than the pussy tape.

I'm not saying to ignore it. In fact the Democrats aren't ignoring it. They are in various forms disavowing Weinstein and giving the money he donated to more worthy causes. Things that the BothSiders in this thread have been constantly screeching about even though they were already in the process of doing it. Somehow that's not good enough, almost as if that isn't the point of their complaints and they just want to continue issuing worthless ideological purity tests. If you want a party that represents the majority of the country in a progressive manner, you're going to have to understand sometimes people might not agree with you and that throwing them out on their rear end or trying to depress them into staying home isn't the solution if you need their votes.

Also, little clue. The Republicans are the ones in power right now, they're the ones that need to have the lens focused on them much loving harder rather than devolving into this "Dems are just as bad" bullshit.

Frijolero posted:

They are 100% correct, but you know what they didn't do? They didn't go "we're just as bad as the Republicans.". They didn't both sides it. Because that's useless.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Trabisnikof posted:

Slight difference between those criticism and saying Obama "whored out his daughter."

:ssh: they don't see a difference :ssh:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Angry_Ed posted:

They are 100% correct, but you know what they didn't do? They didn't go "we're just as bad as the Republicans.". They didn't both sides it. Because that's useless.

has anyone? where are the both siders you're referencing?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

quote:

Schools in Charlottesville, Va., are on lockdown Wednesday morning after FBI officials warned local police about an online threat targeting the school system.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/354900-charlottesville-schools-locked-down-over-internet-warning#.Wd58P_uJ8il.twitter

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

white supremacists just cant help but terrorize that town

they should hurry up and remove the lee memorial, it only attracts murderous nazis

Condiv fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 11, 2017

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

To put my cards on the table, I agree with this, and I don't think it makes sense to project ill intent or apathy towards his daughter's welfare onto Obama. I think it's much more likely that the dude really was personally clueless about, and insulated from, Weinstein's criminal behavior.

Majorian posted:

You, also, have no room to pretend like you hold any high ground. You are easily the worst offender in D&D for cynically using issues as cudgels.

So it's cynical to suggest unfounded attacks on Obama's character that are consistent with racial stereotypes reinforce those stereotypes and indicate, at minimum, subconscious internalization of those stereotypes?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Is social media message board what they’re calling /pol/ these days

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Trabisnikof posted:

Good thing this argument doesn't exist outside the victim complex ridden skulls of bad dems.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/_jessicabarth_/status/918199805905719296

A tweet for this thread.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I withdraw my criticism completely, Democrats indulged a sex pervert out of a deep respect towards the victims. (Is this the new argument now that everybody involved has pretty much admitted they had been talking about it behind the scenes for years)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

So it's cynical to suggest unfounded attacks on Obama's character that are consistent with racial stereotypes reinforce those stereotypes and indicate, at minimum, subconscious internalization of those stereotypes?

Nope, I'm talking more about your overall pattern of cynically using racism and sexism as cudgels against the left, pretty much all over D&D.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

:siren: warning! stealth trump supporter alert!! warning! :siren:

https://progressivevoicesofiowa.com...-committee/amp/

Laura L. Hubka posted:

I sent an email late last week resigning my positions on the Iowa Democratic State Central Committee, the 1st District and my Chair position in Howard County. Now that I have taken care of my duties within the party I would like to be more specific on why I left. I will concede that these are my opinions but I know through the time I spent talking to the people of Iowa in many different locations though-out the state that I am not alone in my opinions or feelings.

We say “the truth is on our side” but what if we are part of the lie?

From the first time I took on being a volunteer for the Democratic Party for Barack Obama I was excited and thrilled to be part of something so big and being able to “change the world”. I imagine that many feel l this way. “Stars in the eyes and dreams in our hearts”. I plugged away for years and years. We all know the story of the losses and the “investigation” and “rebranding” we tried to do over the years as we got our asses handed to us.

We blamed “money” and “outside” sources. Everyone in leadership kept looking past the problem. The “party” was anything but a party. The power struggle within was getting bigger and bigger and we watched really good candidates get squashed out of the game because no one wanted to face the hard truth that America was changing. We say that the republicans want to “take us back” but the democrats don’t want to change either. They are not brave enough to try something different because “that won’t win races”. Well, were we winning? Maybe I missed that? No, we lost a RECORD number of seats. More than ever before. Still, we saw back slapping and old ways used over and over again. “Wink and nod”

We want to “celebrate” that Secretary Hillary Clinton got the “popular vote”. We want to put a “W” in our column? Really? That shows the desperation we have gotten accustomed to. We are so proud that we “won” even though half of the players on our team (The USA) did not even want to play?

So we stand around being “proud” and pointing fingers at Clinton, Bernie and the Russians. Who do you really think lost this thing? The 99% of American people who are struggling to work, live, eat and find some sort of “American dream”. WHY? Because we stopped talking to them and instead assumed they were “ours” because, well, you know “people that vote republican are deplorable”. We let the internet talk to them. The internet told them nothing but that “we” were not the republicans.

So they looked over at the republicans and it appeared they had a candidate that wanted to bring jobs back, make America first, get us health care and was saying what they were feeling- mad, bad, awful things.

So the choice was vote for the republicans who were saying things they wanted to hear or the democrats that were saying nothing new.

I could not get ¼ of the volunteers to knock doors or make phone calls that I had been able to get before. I told you and SO many others told you as well. You shook your heads and just acted like it was the people that just did not get it. You did not invest time or money in finding out what was going on. The lie being told was there was no way Trump was going to win. Full stop.

So many young people were involved. Tech savvy and invested. There was no hiding from mistakes and the doors were wide open on everything. They were reading state party constitutions and by-laws. They came to meetings prepared after sharing information on how things were supposed to be done only to find that nothing was done the way it was written on most occasions. People that had been involved for a long time took this to be an “invasion” of the party. A huge divide started that was much larger than the “Bernie v Hillary” thing but everyone likes to blame it on that and continue to do that to this day. Do you see it? Do you see it that way? Or is it just still a “Bernie v Hillary” thing to you?

We play our own game of “the rules apply only to those outside our circle”

Our state party is the 1st in the nation. 1st on the list of committees that get attention from the powers that be at the DNC. They don’t live here but yet we take marching orders from them. We take in kids from all over the nation ready for some Iowa action.

It’s the place to be if you want to shine up your political resume. These kids are often from big cities and places nothing like Iowa. We throw them into supporter housing and make them work 20 hours a day and give them a couple of vacation days. WE make them wait for re-imbursement for mileage and any other thing they need. More times than not their basic needs are not met in any way. Either physically and emotionally. I think this is the price they pay although we are the party of “equal rights” and “equal pay” and the party for the underpaid and overworked. Granted some of them eat it up, come back and move their way up the chain.

We get consultants and build more and more levels to each campaign as they arrive. More housing, more money and more TV time. YAY Iowa! Money!! It’s great for our economy. No harm no fail.

Now back to my point. My exit.

I have seen and dealt with sexism, racism, misogyny, accessibility denial, name calling, snickering, bullying, classism and inequality since I started but even more so as I climbed up the ladder to the leadership. One story is told to one person and another version is told to someone else.

There were people getting overly upset because we wanted to make sure we had a vegetarian option on our work-shop menu. Backstabbing and obvious sabotage to others plans because they are “not part of a certain group”. One person was told to take their items to another area just because another person did not get along with them. Email chains that purposely exclude others on a certain committee because the “gang” doesn’t like them then blaming that person for not knowing what is going on. Accessibility not being taken into account when meetings and events are taking place (even when reminded and called out on it) So wrong and discouraging. Snickering and “just a little too loud” conversations taking place right behind the person that is being talked about. Derogatory remarks made about our LGBTQ and people of color.

Younger folks and those who had not been involved before were standing up to ask questions about procedures that they just wanted to understand (considering those procedures were NOT being followed in many instances). They simply wanted answers. Those people, new comers with new and good ideas and questions, were now put into the “troublemaker” category.

The people that have been involved the longest were being called out on procedures and amendments that they themselves voted on within the last 5 years. They were arguing and challenging their OWN words. They started talking about how this was not “fun” anymore. It is so childish and discouraging.

I took a seat on the State Central Committee with other like-minded people thinking that we could change it from the inside. I have always been the middle of the road person. Always trying my best to encouraging both sides of this democratic divide to see the others point of view. I did it as long as I could. About a year.

I feel bad for leaving because I encouraged so many to stay. I feel bad because I told them we could change it. I feel bad that we had to deal with the road blocks that I think will not move. I am just wondering what it will take?

I am sure I am not the first to come up against this problem. Some just sit back and watch but I will always refuse to do that. We are not the people we have been waiting for.

Who are we and what do we stand for if not for each other?

i can't believe how rude this person is being. doesn't she realize that trump is so much worse?

did anyone in the thread attack seth macfarlane? i'm not sure why you think this tweet is topical, at all

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Frijolero posted:

LOL you're attempting to make me a liberal who doesn't want democrats to be criticized instead of addressing my post.

Majorian posted:

That's just confirmation bias on your part. Lots of left-wing posters here come up with constructive ideas, or show support for left-Dems' actions, and then get met with, "Heh, you leftists just don't know how the world works!:smug:" from centrists.

It could be, but it could also be that many leftists would rather criticize to make themselves feel superior rather than acknowledge the grim realities of politics.

I never said that my fellow leftists can't be constructive, I said that there's way more non-constructive vitriol and pretending like that doesn't exist doesn't help anything.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

I'm not saying to ignore it. In fact the Democrats aren't ignoring it. They are in various forms disavowing Weinstein and giving the money he donated to more worthy causes. Things that the BothSiders in this thread have been constantly screeching about even though they were already in the process of doing it. Somehow that's not good enough

It won't be good enough until it is the rule, and not the exception, within the Democratic Party. We're not asking too much in asking Democrats at all levels to divest themselves of whatever Weinstein contributions they can, and we're not being unreasonable in saying, "Good, glad some Democrats are doing it already. More should do it, though."

Jaxyon posted:

It could be, but it could also be that many leftists would rather criticize to make themselves feel superior rather than acknowledge the grim realities of politics.

I never said that my fellow leftists can't be constructive, I said that there's way more non-constructive vitriol and pretending like that doesn't exist doesn't help anything.

Okay, well, let me help you then: it's confirmation bias. That's the answer. You are only seeing the posts from leftists that fit the narrative you've constructed here.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

It won't be good enough until it is the rule, and not the exception, within the Democratic Party. We're not asking too much in asking Democrats at all levels to divest themselves of whatever Weinstein contributions they can, and we're not being unreasonable in saying, "Good, glad some Democrats are doing it already. More should do it, though."

Once again you're assuming I disagree. I'm saying that's exactly what should be happening. What I am saying is don't do it in a way that validates anything the GOP says in bad faith. It's not really that difficult to do so. Acknowledge that yes, they're doing the right thing, but say "we need to do more". Make it as clear as possible that, even though it should've been obvious, doing the right thing will bring more votes.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 11, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Jaxyon posted:

LOL you're attempting to make me a liberal who doesn't want democrats to be criticized instead of addressing my post.

you should read that resignation letter i posted! it's so non-constructive and superior in tone

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

Once again you're assuming I disagree. I'm saying that's exactly what should be happening. What I am saying is don't do it in a way that validates anything the GOP says in bad faith. This isn't that hard, believe me.

In what way are people validating anything the GOP says? No one here is saying, "The GOP is morally superior to the Democrats on this issue," or that they are less hypocritical, or anything of the sort. And I'm pretty sure no one reading this conversation is coming away from it thinking that Republicans are somehow less-bad than the Democrats.:psyduck:

I mean, good lord, dude, go back and read your posts over the past few pages. You're the one losing his poo poo over some pretty anodyne criticisms of the Democratic Party, acting like there's some sort of nefarious motive behind them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Majorian posted:

Okay, well, let me help you then: it's confirmation bias. That's the answer. You are only seeing the posts from leftists that fit the narrative you've constructed here.

Confirmation and focusing bias are like the entirety of this discussion today, from different angles.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Confirmation and focusing bias are like the entirety of this discussion today, from different angles.

Yeah, to be fair, they're pretty common in most political debates.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

What is the "grim reality of politics" that we should be acknowledging here?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Majorian posted:

Yes you've clearly convinced me with this argument.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

WampaLord posted:

What is the "grim reality of politics" that we should be acknowledging here?

That they need to work with democrats given the current political system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The grim reality Obama knew.

• Locked thread