Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Zeruel posted:

Fuckin poo poo I'm gonna have to lay down the queerbaiting card. Just let them loving kiss or interlock fingers or SOMETHING.

It's not really queerbaiting, KyoAni just doesn't really do explicit romance plotlines. Just look at Haruhi or Hyouka and watch them just really try to completely ignore any actual romance in favor of just implying it.

I still find it generally annoying, though, and kind of wish KyoAni would just have a couple actually kiss or something (kisses they pretend never happened don't count).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Someone's forgotten CLANNAD :mad:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

AnoHito posted:

I still find it generally annoying, though, and kind of wish KyoAni would just have a couple actually kiss or something (kisses they pretend never happened don't count).

Haruhi and Kyon get a somewhat ridiculous kiss in what is one of the best scenes of the show.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Agronox posted:

Haruhi and Kyon get a somewhat ridiculous kiss in what is one of the best scenes of the show.

AnoHito posted:

(kisses they pretend never happened don't count).

:colbert:

E: v It definitely does, and I even really liked how they ended it with them both just very blatantly refusing to make a move. But it still kind of forms a pattern when the studio does it so drat often.

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 29, 2017

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Also I think Hyouka does what it does with the understated romance really, really well. You don't realize it after the first viewing but by the second or third watch it's pretty clear that Oreki and Chitanda are very, very thirsty for each other. But it is in neither of their natures to make too direct a move.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
on the bright side, you can't accuse them of having a show about lesbians just for the sex appeal

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

hoobajoo posted:

Kyo-Ani is too pure to allow that kind of lewdness in their shows. Tohru has openly said she's sexually attracted to Kobayashi, they sleep together, and have clearly kissed off-screen though, I don't think it's ambiguous what's going on.

Plus they held hands in the OVA. It's just that Kobayashi is still gonna be Kobayashi. She's so repressed she'd consider kissing on-screen to be a public display of affection.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Agronox posted:

Also I think Hyouka does what it does with the understated romance really, really well. You don't realize it after the first viewing but by the second or third watch it's pretty clear that Oreki and Chitanda are very, very thirsty for each other. But it is in neither of their natures to make too direct a move.

Yeah. I've soured pretty hard on the way Euphonium turned out, largely due to some rather gross undertones from the novels making themselves increasingly difficult to adapt around, but for the most part KyoAni's understated way with romance really jives well with me and they're really good at writing characters in ways that justify it. I've said before in this same thread, but Kobayashi isn't so different from Oreki in a lot of ways.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Agronox posted:

Mooooooooollllleeeeee.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Agronox posted:

I got you fam

What the actual gently caress. Why does this exist, and why did it need to be posted here.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

serefin99 posted:

What the actual gently caress. Why does this exist, and why did it need to be posted here.

you ok?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

serefin99 posted:

It's the best thing our dead anime forum has produced in years, that's what.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

serefin99 posted:

It is not so very different from the fractal Tohrus in the OP, is it not?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Agronox posted:

It is not so very different from the fractal Tohrus in the OP, is it not?

The Tohru's are all smiling, at least

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

Agronox posted:

I got you fam

Whats the context for this thing?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

El Padrino posted:

Whats the context for this thing?

The promo art for Hibike Euphonium showed a lot of leg.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/thumbnails/hotlink-max1000x1500/cms/news/82680/001-30.jpg
Photoshop happened.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's a classic by old adtrw poster .jpg who made lots of funny gifs and edits before falling off the face of the earth

he also made this

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Plom Bar posted:

Why do I like this dumb anime about domestic lesbians and their dragon daughter so much? Bah, no matter.

This show is a wretchedly dumb silly idiotic thing that I watched as a palette-cleanser after 74 episodes of Monster. :colbert:

Now, when the gently caress do we get a second cour? :f5:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've been catching up on the manga and they actually made Iruru into a decent character, I'm surprised. Still a walking bundle of NWS, but the candy shop job thing and her reasons for taking it were good. Her character design's still problematic at best, but at least the author's done some good with writing for her if she's going to be sticking around.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I've been catching up on the manga and they actually made Iruru into a decent character, I'm surprised. Still a walking bundle of NWS, but the candy shop job thing and her reasons for taking it were good. Her character design's still problematic at best, but at least the author's done some good with writing for her if she's going to be sticking around.

I think her height changed a little to adjust her intended appearance of a teenager. I vaguely recall her originally appearing not too much larger than Kanna. I might be remembering wrong though.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

I think her height changed a little to adjust her intended appearance of a teenager. I vaguely recall her originally appearing not too much larger than Kanna. I might be remembering wrong though.

When I glanced through it, she looked a little bit shorter than Kobayashi. I also couldn't really find a shot of her standing up straight, though so :shrug:

Seriously, her character design in the manga looked generally fine (aside from having tits big enough to be an abomination, and being extremely rough, like the entire manga looked), which just made all the complaining about her that much more confusing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I will vehemently disagree with you on that. Her initial design was straight up What's Wrong With Anime: the character

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I haven't read the manga, but do you think Iruru is something Kyoani can potentially 'rescue' with some changes?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Fangz posted:

I haven't read the manga, but do you think Iruru is something Kyoani can potentially 'rescue' with some changes?

Character design alone? Definitely. The anime looks pretty much nothing like the manga anyway.

From what little I've heard of her personality/subplots? No way in hell.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I thiiiiink they could maybe rework Iruru into something decent, but it would require slashing and burning parts of her characters and gags with more impunity than I'm entirely sure KyoAni has. There's one short arc in particular that I'd say is basically unsalvageable.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
^ that.

I hope CK saw how ... cool people thought the anime was and decided to add that to the cool that he follows. People will read cute, weird slice of life stories. So do that more.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

a cardcaptors style slash and burn

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'd be curious to learn how much of the perviness was because the author genuinely wanted it and how much was because the author thought it was necessary to sell.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

I'd be curious to learn how much of the perviness was because the author genuinely wanted it and how much was because the author thought it was necessary to sell.

Dude's a pretty big pervert going by his doujin background, I'd assume it's like 90% him.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, given how, er, specific a lot of MaiDragon's kinks get I'd say the mangaka's pretty earnestly into that poo poo.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
He 100% draws what he wants.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's no way cool isn't just a giant perv

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

I thiiiiink they could maybe rework Iruru into something decent, but it would require slashing and burning parts of her characters and gags with more impunity than I'm entirely sure KyoAni has. There's one short arc in particular that I'd say is basically unsalvageable.

If it's the arc i'm thinking of Iruru isn't even around that much for it though she's the catalyst. It's one of the worst chapters of anything i've read though and I can't imagine Kyoani adapting it. I'd also say Iruru's gags are basically just Lucoa's so that'd be not super hard to change. She has big breasts and gets naked for jokes about "wow what big breasts". Except she's a teen so it's weirder though she doesn't have strange scenes with a 10 year old at least. There's one other joke that is bad but it only exists for a chapter and later chapters have just removed it.

Anyway the latest translated volume before the season aired was volume 4, which was Iruru's introduction and it legitimately had several really bad chapters, that could turn you off the series as a whole. Since then two volumes have been translated and if I didn't already know the chapters from those volumes must have been released before the anime I might've thought the manga was taking some inspiration from the show for tone and stuff. Just lots of sweet stories with some of the worst gags disappearing and generally being really solid chapters. The author just writes whatever he wants though so it could go back to being super pervy at any time but if Kyoani just uses the recently translated volumes for the basis of Iruru in the anime then it'll be more than fine imo.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 11, 2017

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
The best Iruru joke by far is (spoiler tagging it because it's fuckin hilarious) when she transforms into a human she can't do hands properly so her arm just ends in a nub. Then she learns how to do hands but they're microscopic on the ends of her nubs, then she grows millions of them.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Zeruel posted:

The best Iruru joke by far is (spoiler tagging it because it's fuckin hilarious) when she transforms into a human she can't do hands properly so her arm just ends in a nub. Then she learns how to do hands but they're microscopic on the ends of her nubs, then she grows millions of them.

They were fractal hands! :v:

Schwarzwald posted:

One of his other mangas is about a college guy that looks like Shouta who finds himself rooming with a girl who makes Lucoa look small and can basically be summarized as Boobjobs: The Manga.

Dude might like cute slice of life stories like Komori, Danna Wakaranai, Maidragon, Ojojo, etc, but he's also a massive pervert for some very specific fetishes: Girls with really huge boobs getting it on with young-looking boys, girls with really huge boobs getting it on with young-looking girls and monster girls with really huge boobs, possibly getting it on or at least trying to.

And sometimes he mixes it up and does stuff like Fukumaden, which is about what the other girls chat about when the harem doujin MC is busy.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I guess that answers that.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Has this been posted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bbk_60OQmk

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

free her

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Congratulations, Mrs and Mrs Kobayashi

Also I liked the gag with the Aztec idol letting out a disappointed moan when Kobayashi offers it a beer instead of a human heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The Aztec skit was pretty much the best Lucoa gag.

• Locked thread