Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

viral spiral posted:

Disney is known for their market research, and boy, would I like to see the dislike ratio for the prequels.

Hint: if you're under 25 you probably like them. If you're over 25, you don't. Unless you're a member of the Something Awful forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Maxwell Lord posted:

Good job moving those goalposts.

This response is usually what people resort to when they don't have an argument in defense of lovely filmmaking and filmmakers.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

feedmyleg posted:

Hint: if you're under 25 you probably like them. If you're over 25, you don't. Unless you're a member of the Something Awful forums.

If this was true, then Disney would have included some elements of the prequels in their respective fanboy films. It's simply not the case that the prequels are (mostly) universally liked. Lucas himself even admitted that he sucks at scriptwriting, particularly with dialogue; after the negative reception of Attack of the Clones.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

viral spiral posted:

This response is usually what people resort to when they don't have an argument in defense of lovely filmmaking and filmmakers.

Okay, to be fair it's more strawmanning/excluding the middle.

"I don't think prequel hatred is as widespread as you think."

"Yeah everyone loves Jar Jar Binks just as much as R2D2."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

viral spiral posted:

If this was true, then Disney would have included some elements of the prequels in their respective fanboy films.

Whose voice is it saying "These are the first steps..."?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

viral spiral posted:

If this was true, then Disney would have included some elements of the prequels in their respective fanboy films. It's simply not the case that the prequels are (mostly) universally liked. Lucas himself even admitted that he sucks at scriptwriting, particularly with dialogue; after the negative reception of Attack of the Clones.

Bail Organa being in Rogue One doesn't count?

Also, as has been pointed out, prequel era stuff is all over the place in the non-movie media. Like the new Battlefront II game coming out. Or the TV show Rebels, which has plenty of call backs to the prequels (first episode has the message Obi-Wan recorded for the remaining Jedi during Revenge of the Sith, Darth Maul shows up, Bail Organa is all over the place, etc.)

Disney is absolutely not running from the prequels.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

viral spiral posted:

You're right, Jar Jar Binks and Hayden Christensen (ahem, Anakin) are revered just like R2D2 and Luke Skywalker.

I think "they're just okay/they're not that great" is a pretty widely held sentiment. "They're among the worst movies ever made and I wish they didn't exist" is not a mainstream sentiment.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Leia and Luke and death Vader are all prequel characters in Disney/Lucasfilm movies

Oh also bail organa. And that's just superficial characters . As has also been mentioned the new movies contain space ships and Jedi and sith and laser swords and all of these things are in the prequels .

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Let's talk about something more important- are the sequels going to incorporate Luke's computer girlfriend from the EU at any point?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The one thing I'd point to as a clear reaction to the backlash against the prequels is that Disney seems to be going out of their way to make sure there's no politics in these new movies. That seems like their main takeaway from the prequels, "people hated all the politics".

I think TFA really suffers as a result of that because it needed a bit more of the backdrop filled in than what we got. A New Hope at least had several scenes of Vader and Tarkin meeting with other officers and talking about the Empire's plans.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

[quote="“General Dog”" post="“477279457”"]
Let’s talk about something more important- are the sequels going to incorporate Luke’s computer girlfriend from the EU at any point?
[/quote]
I read almost all of those EU novels when I was a kid, but even I couldn't finish that one

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

FlamingLiberal posted:

I read almost all of those EU novels when I was a kid, but even I couldn't finish that one

Children of the Jedi. Yeah, that was my least favorite of all the old EU books. Though I bailed out partway through the New Jedi Order. I understand they got worse after that.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Expanded Universe will no longer be of any concern to us. I've just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the old continuity have been swept away.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Bongo Bill posted:

The Expanded Universe will no longer be of any concern to us. I've just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the old continuity have been swept away.

"Permanently, you say?"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Maz talks about the sith, the baddies talk about clone troopers, and the republic is based on Coruscant. Kyle is blatantly a version of Anakin, and Luke going missing after his Jedi school is destroyed is a direct reference to Revenge Of The Sith.

Jimmy Smitts appears in Rogue One, and the entire plot is about the aftermath of Episode 3. The narrative of Rogue One also addresses the specific issues raised by the prequels (droid personhood, the failure of the Republic's liberal centrism, etc.).

All the 'force worshippers' are a reference to midichlorians (i.e. to the fact that only people with midichlorians can use psychic powers). Rey's powers are presented as literal biological traits, not aspects of any religious belief/meditation/whatever.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I liked that the episode 3 clone wheel tank showed up in R1, repurposed into an imperial prisoner transport. made me say "neat"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

All the 'force worshippers' are a reference to midichlorians (i.e. to the fact that only people with midichlorians can use psychic powers).

Point of order: Qui-Gon specifically states that midichlorians exist in all living cells, and that without them life could not exist. So while a high midichlorian count might be helpful, they're part of the mechanism which generates the "energy field" that the Force is called in the first movie. Life creates the Force because all life includes the little buggers.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Point of order: Qui-Gon specifically states that midichlorians exist in all living cells, and that without them life could not exist. So while a high midichlorian count might be helpful, they're part of the mechanism which generates the "energy field" that the Force is called in the first movie. Life creates the Force because all life includes the little buggers.

Still need an unusually high concentration of them for telekinesis, however.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Bongo Bill posted:

Still need an unusually high concentration of them for telekinesis, however.

Possibly. There's every possibility that Qui-Gon's fussing over midichlorian counts is bullshit and that everyone has some Force potential, even if the Force is stronger with some people. The New Age part of the philosophy that Lucas was cribbing from firmly believed that everyone could achieve their potential and learn to levitate and shoot lasers with their mind or whatever.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

i tried to do all of that and it never worked, lucas chats poo poo

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The ability to levitate a spaceship is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rip Testes posted:

So the Porgs hang out on Luke's little island. Does he feast on them?

Porgs are friends, not food

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Jimmy Smitts appears in Rogue One, and the entire plot is about the aftermath of Episode 3. The narrative of Rogue One also addresses the specific issues raised by the prequels (droid personhood, the failure of the Republic's liberal centrism, etc.).
Also Genevieve O'Reilly reprises her role as Mon Mothma from ROTS, and Mustafar and Coruscant make appearances in the movie.

For a movie set just before ANH, Rogue One really does a nice job of using both the PT and OT in good measure to craft its setting.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 11, 2017

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Rogue One extends the ending montage from Revenge of the Sith all the way to the opening shot of A New Hope.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Lord Hydronium posted:

Also Genevieve O'Reilly reprises her role as Mon Mothma from ROTS, and Mustafar and Coruscant make appearances in the movie.

For a movie set just before ANH, Rogue One really does a nice job of using both the PT and OT in good measure to craft its setting.

To be fair, the Mon Mothma scenes from ROTS were cut, so they're not really part of the PT.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Bongo Bill posted:

Rogue One extends the ending montage from Revenge of the Sith all the way to the opening shot of A New Hope.
I like this take.

thrawn527 posted:

To be fair, the Mon Mothma scenes from ROTS were cut, so they're not really part of the PT.
Apparently she does make an non-speaking cameo in the final cut of the film, but I'm not sure where (I'd guess either the big crowd of Senators at the beginning or Palpatine's speech at the end). But yeah, O'Reilly finally getting a speaking role in Rogue One was a nice touch after her ROTS material was cut.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Maz talks about the sith, the baddies talk about clone troopers, and the republic is based on Coruscant. Kyle is blatantly a version of Anakin, and Luke going missing after his Jedi school is destroyed is a direct reference to Revenge Of The Sith.

Slight correction; Coruscant doesn't appear in TFA. The Hosnian system is the one housing the government and gets destroyed by Starkiller Base

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Of course Tarkin as well

And the droids lol. How could we forget them!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think this has probably been answered before but does Coruscant still technically exist? Or was it erased with the rest of the EU but then brought back by the newest novel kinda like Rebels did with Thrawn?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Uh it's in a bunch of Star Wars movies. 4? 5?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

euphronius posted:

Uh it's in a bunch of Star Wars movies. 4? 5?
Five. All the PT, flashback in R1, ending montage in ROTJ.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
As a named planet though?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Qui-Gon says it aloud in The Phantom Menace.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Seems like an arbitrary requirement esp considering Star Wars does not use location titles . Or maybe R1 did ?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Basebf555 posted:

I think this has probably been answered before but does Coruscant still technically exist? Or was it erased with the rest of the EU but then brought back by the newest novel kinda like Rebels did with Thrawn?
It was in the prequels

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The prequels aren't EU, my friend. They're as canon as canon gets.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

It's named in the prequels a lot. :confused:

I may be misunderstanding your question.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh yea definitely, I just don't remember it coming up in the prequels. I don't have every line memorized.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Basebf555 posted:

Oh yea definitely, I just don't remember it coming up in the prequels. I don't have every line memorized.

Vast amounts of all three PT films take place on Coruscant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

Slight correction; Coruscant doesn't appear in TFA. The Hosnian system is the one housing the government and gets destroyed by Starkiller Base

SMG has made this argument before, that it doesn't matter if it's technically not called Coruscant, it looks and acts AS Coruscant for the purposes of the movie, so for the audience, it being a city planet is a call back to the prequels. It is meant to evoke Coruscant, in appearance and in function, and this only works because we see Coruscant in the prequels.

Whether you agree or not, that's where he's coming from, and arguing technicalities won't get you anywhere.

But you're you, so you will. (You know I love you, jivjov.)