Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

temple posted:

What is Laci Green's politics? There is a subgroup of people that never really state their opinion but hover around the alt-right like Boogie or h3h3 ( I guess Fantano now too).

I think Green is still fairly liberal, but seems to fallen for the "if a couple of feminist are irrational, then all feminists are irrational" and now she's friends with the anti-SJW crowd which in turn led to her being verbally harassed online which in turn cemented her beliefs further. I think Boogie is also relatively liberal, but tends to keep is politics to himself. Both of them value "can't we all just get along" over politics, especially Boogie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

boner confessor posted:

joss whedon used his cred as a male feminist to repeatedly cheat on his wife. he's definitely a sexual predator, at best he's not an outright rapist or assaulter but he used his position of power to have sex with many women while married which is, charitably, extremely disturbing and sleazy behavior

why anita sarkeesian specifically needs to denounce him, is a mystery that only internet nazis can answer

Just to be clear, he cheated on his wife with women who worked on his shows with him, so literally his employees and people who depended on him.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Archer666 posted:

Look when you decide to make your livelyhood with internet videos only, the chances are good you're broken in some way or are on the verge of breaking.

Yeah, if you want to make a living from home doing something you enjoy, you're probably a pretty hosed up individual.

fallenturtle posted:

I think Green is still fairly liberal, but seems to fallen for the "if a couple of feminist are irrational, then all feminists are irrational" and now she's friends with the anti-SJW crowd which in turn led to her being verbally harassed online which in turn cemented her beliefs further. I think Boogie is also relatively liberal, but tends to keep is politics to himself. Both of them value "can't we all just get along" over politics, especially Boogie.

I don't Boogie is very liberal. When you're willing to see being a white supremacist as "trying on different hats," I don't think you're being from liberal.

mrbotus fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 11, 2017

selec
Sep 6, 2003

boner confessor posted:

joss whedon used his cred as a male feminist to repeatedly cheat on his wife. he's definitely a sexual predator, at best he's not an outright rapist or assaulter but he used his position of power to have sex with many women while married which is, charitably, extremely disturbing and sleazy behavior

why anita sarkeesian specifically needs to denounce him, is a mystery that only internet nazis can answer

He's scummy, but predatory? Plenty of dudes cheat without it becoming a power situation, and I've never heard of someone saying or rumors about him using that power the same way people like Weinstein did. It's like saying my friend who used to be serially unfaithful used his charm and big dick to have sex with many women while in committed relationships.

Was the power the attractant, or the lever? That's the difference. I don't know, and I don't think any of us do. Was it scummy and inappropriate? Absolutely. Predatory? That's a higher bar.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

boner confessor posted:

loving milkshake duck is ruining milkshakes.

And while I really enjoyed Firefly, would any of us know who Adam Baldwin was if it wasn't for him being cast in that? (though I guess I'm banking the assumption that he wouldn't have gotten a role in Chuck if he wasn't in Firefly, which is flimsy)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fallenturtle posted:

Both of them value "can't we all just get along" over politics, especially Boogie.
This is a type of Boogie Liberalism.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

boner confessor posted:

Right wingers operate almost entirely on "gotcha!" politics.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ClancyEverafter posted:

He's scummy, but predatory? Plenty of dudes cheat without it becoming a power situation, and I've never heard of someone saying or rumors about him using that power the same way people like Weinstein did. It's like saying my friend who used to be serially unfaithful used his charm and big dick to have sex with many women while in committed relationships.

Was the power the attractant, or the lever? That's the difference. I don't know, and I don't think any of us do. Was it scummy and inappropriate? Absolutely. Predatory? That's a higher bar.

you're right im sure being their boss was just a crazy coincidence

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

temple posted:

What is Laci Green's politics? There is a subgroup of people that never really state their opinion but hover around the alt-right like Boogie or h3h3 ( I guess Fantano now too).

I don't know man Boogie seems like he just DGAF anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaVB_QH3Ndw

selec
Sep 6, 2003

little munchkin posted:

you're right im sure being their boss was just a crazy coincidence

If you read the original post from his wife, it was people he worked with, friends, and fans.

Is Joss Whedon the boss of all people who enjoy his work?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ClancyEverafter posted:

If you read the original post from his wife, it was people he worked with, friends, and fans.

yes, that's what I think

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ClancyEverafter posted:

your friend with a big dick was probably picking up women in bars and stuff who were his socioeconomic equals

whedon was predating on women whose jobs and livelihoods he could impact. the power dynamic was way different. it's unlikely he would have had nearly as much attention or success if he wasn't the buffy the vampire slayer guy

at this point it doesn't really matter if he was forcing his way onto women weinstein style or if he was just a hapless horny nerd who kept having women accidentally fall on his dick, he abused his power to exploit women sexually (even if they were fully consenting) and destroyed his wife psychologically

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

ClancyEverafter posted:

Brings new meaning to that "Joss Whedon is my master now" comic from a few years ago.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
me: joss whedon used his position of power to cheat on his wife, which is bad

galaxy brain-level woke person: i'll have you know that some of the time he actually cheated on his wife in a different way. checkmate.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ClancyEverafter posted:

The "post" his wife wrote for a major newspaper quotes his letter where he specifies being a tv producer as a situation in which he is surrounded by beautiful, needy women, which sure sounds like employees to me. If he also had sex with the neighbor or whatever, that doesn't negate the awfulness of sleeping with your directors or writers or whoever who are just starting out on your junky WB teen vampire show.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

boner confessor posted:

whedon was predating on women whose jobs and livelihoods he could impact. the power dynamic was way different. it's unlikely he would have had nearly as much attention or success if he wasn't the buffy the vampire slayer guy

Were the fans and friends he also cheated on his wife with people who also depended on him for their livelihood?

And yes, if the famous guy wasn't famous, he'd probably get less tail, thank you for this piece of sage wisdom, boner confessor.

I think it's probably a case of Horny Dude Found A Way, not some weirder darker power thing like what was obviously going on with Weinstein.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

also poo poo like "he abused his power to exploit women sexually (even if they were fully consenting) and destroyed his wife psychologically" is basically buying into a right wing conception of women hating sex and submitting to men's filthy sex wanting.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Basically, if you're a man with power and status, it's probably a good idea to date outside of your sphere of influence. Otherwise, it's immoral.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Yes, certainly lets delve in to giving Whedon a pass for repeatedly using his status to pursue women whilst lying to his wife. That certainly wouldn't be a predatory behaviour given it wasn't straight up rape.

Seriously it's ridiculous how many logical contortions that are required to give men a pass on their behaviour. It's not like all these folks are suddenly becoming sleazebags, it's that they were repeatedly given a pass for it, and in show business that is specifically due to social power dynamics of being the top of the totem pole. Maybe the first time was a mistake, let's give that shred of doubt? But you don't then repeatedly capitalise on those power dynamics and then get to go, 'oops'.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ClancyEverafter posted:

Were the fans and friends he also cheated on his wife with people who also depended on him for their livelihood?

And yes, if the famous guy wasn't famous, he'd probably get less tail, thank you for this piece of sage wisdom, boner confessor.

I think it's probably a case of Horny Dude Found A Way, not some weirder darker power thing like what was obviously going on with Weinstein.

lol

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Extremely Progressive Director Who Only Fucks His Subordinates Some Of The Time

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ClancyEverafter posted:

it seems the problem here is that you're trying to draw a distinction between explicit crimes (weinstein) and just ill advised and destructive horniness that isn't illegal (whedon) but the issue here is that anyone exploiting a power dynamic to obtain sex they would not otherwise obtain is a sexual predator in one way or another

like it's not any better of a look that he slept with the president of his fan club or whatever. there's a reason that's a pretty common mockable trope

i dunno what the particular bug for you here is with this argument but please don't defend or minimize sexual predators

selec
Sep 6, 2003

nickmeister posted:

Basically, if you're a man with power and status, it's probably a good idea to date outside of your sphere of influence. Otherwise, it's immoral.

100% on this one. Power and status only gets you so far, once you're outside of the hierarchy and nobody respects your power and status you're just another guy who smells like cheeseburgers 24/7 giving crabs to underage Pizza Hut employees you oversee.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

little munchkin posted:

Extremely Progressive Director Who Only Fucks His Subordinates Some Of The Time

I hosed A Random Woman Who Was In Love With A Media Constructed Fantasy Of Me But Thats Ok Because No Money Changed Hands

ClancyEverafter posted:

also poo poo like "he abused his power to exploit women sexually (even if they were fully consenting) and destroyed his wife psychologically" is basically buying into a right wing conception of women hating sex and submitting to men's filthy sex wanting.

she got counseling for PTSD when she learned her husband was lying to her for years

being damaged because your husband was a dishonest philanderer is not right wing propaganda, what is wrong with you

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He did it serially for the entire 20 years of his marriage. It's not like he just fell in love with Marti Noxon and they couldn't help themselves because they worked together for so long. It's right there in his admission that he just couldn't help himself because he was surrounded by young women looking for approval from him—he thinks of women as objects. Look no further than what he thought of his wife for all those years.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
ClancyEverafter makes a good point, if we take everything that whedon said at face value in the letters he wrote with the specific intent of manipulating his wife emotionally, then he's *does a bunch of calculations* still a piece of poo poo

selec
Sep 6, 2003

boner confessor posted:

it seems the problem here is that you're trying to draw a distinction between explicit crimes (weinstein) and just ill advised and destructive horniness that isn't illegal (whedon) but the issue here is that anyone exploiting a power dynamic to obtain sex they would not otherwise obtain is a sexual predator in one way or another

like it's not any better of a look that he slept with the president of his fan club or whatever. there's a reason that's a pretty common mockable trope

i dunno what the particular bug for you here is with this argument but please don't defend or minimize sexual predators

I think, crazily enough, that yeah we shouldn't call people sexual predators without any kind of evidence short of "got dick wet outside of marriage with people they worked with/over." Yeah, it's sleazy, but haven't we all been horny for a boss at some point in our lives? I certainly felt like I was expressing some agency when I slept with a supervisor at a previous job. It felt awesome, because I was attracted to them, but also because nobody at work could know, poo poo like that.

Joss Whedon is a scumbag, but let's not define down sexual predator. Or you do you, I guess, whatever works.

edit:

I'm going to go out even further on a limb and say that due to my life experience I don't see infidelity as a sexist or misogynist act in and of itself; that it has no explanatory value short of "can't keep a promise or be honest when it comes to sex stuff".

selec fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 11, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ClancyEverafter posted:

I think, crazily enough, that yeah we shouldn't call people sexual predators without any kind of evidence short of "got dick wet outside of marriage with people they worked with/over." Yeah, it's sleazy, but haven't we all been horny for a boss at some point in our lives? I certainly felt like I was expressing some agency when I slept with a supervisor at a previous job. It felt awesome, because I was attracted to them, but also because nobody at work could know, poo poo like that.

Joss Whedon is a scumbag, but let's not define down sexual predator. Or you do you, I guess, whatever works.

really this sounds like you don't want to give up your internal definition of sexual predator or change it, which is odd

personally i'm very comfortable with labeling a dude a sexual predator if he admitted to being a serial cheater and who repeatedly abused the trust of his wife as well as his position of power in hollywood. i also don't really care if you have a problem with this, my perception is that your definition is incorrect and you're doing a terrible job of convincing me otherwise

selec
Sep 6, 2003

boner confessor posted:

really this sounds like you don't want to give up your internal definition of sexual predator or change it, which is odd

personally i'm very comfortable with labeling a dude a sexual predator if he admitted to being a serial cheater and who repeatedly abused the trust of his wife as well as his position of power in hollywood. i also don't really care if you have a problem with this, my perception is that your definition is incorrect and you're doing a terrible job of convincing me otherwise

Yeah, I do not want to start labeling merely sleazy behavior as predatory, as somebody who was the victim of sexual predation in the past. Weird!

I also, I guess, think you're wrong and unconvincing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ClancyEverafter posted:

"Hey this guy sexually exploited his dependents"

"Not all the people he slept with were his dependents!"

Like if someone assaults people you call them violent, that they don't assault 100% of people they meet all the time is not a defence.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
ok thanks for registering your disagreement with the thread, this task is now complete

Maluco Marinero posted:

Seriously it's ridiculous how many logical contortions that are required to give men a pass on their behaviour. It's not like all these folks are suddenly becoming sleazebags, it's that they were repeatedly given a pass for it, and in show business that is specifically due to social power dynamics of being the top of the totem pole. Maybe the first time was a mistake, let's give that shred of doubt? But you don't then repeatedly capitalise on those power dynamics and then get to go, 'oops'.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

"Hey this guy sexually exploited his dependents"

"Not all the people he slept with were his dependents!"

Yeah? Heuristically, if they were all people who depended on him, it'd be a stronger piece of evidence.

Otherwise, he might just be an opportunistic cheater, which is what to me the fact that it's not restrained to just people he had power over indicates. I could be wrong.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ClancyEverafter posted:

Yeah? Heuristically, if they were all people who depended on him, it'd be a stronger piece of evidence.

Otherwise, he might just be an opportunistic cheater, which is what to me the fact that it's not restrained to just people he had power over indicates. I could be wrong.

Protip: Whether you meant to do a thing does not impact whether or not you are a person who has done that thing a bunch.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Protip: Whether you meant to do a thing does not impact whether or not you are a person who has done that thing a bunch.

Oh, agree totally, but the difference here is if it's about "man I'm really horny" vs. "what gets me really horny is having power over people."

That's a pretty big gap to leap across.

edit:

Also I'm realizing there's no way in modern Woke Intersectional Theory to talk about people who get horny for power short of teens on twitter calling Bill Nye "zaddy" or whatever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ClancyEverafter posted:

Oh, agree totally, but the difference here is if it's about "man I'm really horny" vs. "what gets me really horny is having power over people."

That's a pretty big gap to leap across.

If the former is sufficient to get you to cross the line with your subordinates it really isn't.

You're essentially arguing that it isn't wrong because poor jossy wossy didn't mean it.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

If the former is sufficient to get you to cross the line with your subordinates it really isn't.

Where do the subordinates desires fit into all this. Do people, in your experience, ever get horny for their bosses, and is that okay?

If it's not okay for my boss to gently caress me, is it okay for me to gently caress my boss?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ClancyEverafter posted:

not sure if Ted Bundy was a serial killer or not. if he murdered 100% of the people he came across, it'd be a stronger piece of evidence

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
are we really going to talk about whether or not it's ok to gently caress your boss itt

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ClancyEverafter posted:

Where do the subordinates desires fit into all this. Do people, in your experience, ever get horny for their bosses, and is that okay?

If it's not okay for my boss to gently caress me, is it okay for me to gently caress my boss?

Your boss has an obligation to you, and you both have an obligation to your bosses SO. It is far more wrong for them, it is wrong for both of you.

Assuming you are unattached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Your boss has an obligation to you, and you both have an obligation to your bosses SO. It is far more wrong for them, it is wrong for both of you.

Assuming you are unattached.

Well thanks for ruining my childhood.

• Locked thread