Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I know that wrong thread but

https://deadspin.com/the-usmnt-got-exactly-what-it-deserved-1819355441

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

nice meltdown lol

https://twitter.com/ActualFutbol/status/918160731752816641

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
since videos of home commentators going nuts over qualifying for the world cup is the best part about this time of year, here's some good poo poo from Panama's TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yifKTgb3lDo&t=307s

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

lol I'm all the tweets asking what language Chileans speak

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
lol at the American obsession with college sports.

How many Heisman Trophy winners flopped at Pro level? Lebron James skipped college entirely & became the best basketball player of his generation. Track & Field is different, probably because there's not much strategy involved in "run quickly" or "throw this object a long way"

It's common sense that 19 year olds need to be training with & playing against seasoned athletes in order to properly develop their skills.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

dsriggs posted:

lol at the American obsession with college sports.

How many Heisman Trophy winners flopped at Pro level? Lebron James skipped college entirely & became the best basketball player of his generation. Track & Field is different, probably because there's not much strategy involved in "run quickly" or "throw this object a long way"

It's common sense that 19 year olds need to be training with & playing against seasoned athletes in order to properly develop their skills.

With American football, a lot of the argument is that most people's bodies aren't developed enough for a contact sport like football at that age and having them sit around working on developing physically on an NFL bench is not as beneficial.

Football is probably the only major college sport where capable players at 18 or 19 aren't arguably regressing by playing NCAA sports.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
We seem to be straying in to lovely American football/college sports territory. Keep the discussion about actual international football please.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
How has Bruce Arena not quit or been fired by now?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Pook Good Mook posted:

How has Bruce Arena not quit or been fired by now?

He should have had the decency to announce his resignation at the post match press conference imho

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the other vid got blocked so here's the obligatory vid of the home commentators going nuts and crying

https://twitter.com/rpctvpanama/status/917961105955344384

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Hey the US missed a WC. Post in this thread about it here instead of everywhere else

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837194

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 11, 2017

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

camoseven posted:

He should have had the decency to announce his resignation at the post match press conference imho

He said they don't need to change anything, just execute better.

I hope FIFA gives the 2026 World Cup to loving Morocco. Or better yet Mexico and Canada with an auspicious dead zone teams and fans must fly over. America doesn't deserve to enjoy soccer if we're satisfied with this poo poo.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Seltzer posted:

Hey the US missed a WC. Post in this thread about it here and everywhere else

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837194

gently caress off

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

How about you gently caress off idiot. The topic is clogging up other threads

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

African AIDS cum posted:

Think of the GDP boost we will see as millions of office workers churn documents instead of watching the World Cuck

Ahahaha Why would ...hahahaha...they be watching....*snorts and adjusts glasses* you !!!!!

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Just got my 23andme test back I'm 100% Icelandic

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Does America even have any sort of a youth system? Do they realise that by the time their kids are in their teens, they're already a decade behind the underprivileged, impoverished youth of South America, who are literally playing football for their lives, or European powerhouses who have played this sport for a century, with literally thousands of football academies, each with a network of scouts that pilfer kindergartens for raw talent?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

mackintosh posted:

Does America even have any sort of a youth system? Do they realise that by the time their kids are in their teens, they're already a decade behind the underprivileged, impoverished youth of South America, who are literally playing football for their lives, or European powerhouses who have played this sport for a century, with literally thousands of football academies, each with a network of scouts that pilfer kindergartens for raw talent?

We don't really care about soccer that much and the ones that do are mostly childless city dwelling libs. And if they do have a kid a nerdy scarf & utilikilt IT dad is not going to pass down the right genes to make a good athlete. Pulisic is good because his dad was a pro and his mom played in college. Need a lot more normal people to get into the sport.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm Egyptian

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Nice try El Shaarawy.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

African AIDS cum posted:

We don't really care about soccer that much and the ones that do are mostly childless city dwelling libs. And if they do have a kid a nerdy scarf & utilikilt IT dad is not going to pass down the right genes to make a good athlete. Pulisic is good because his dad was a pro and his mom played in college. Need a lot more normal people to get into the sport.

do we really need that though

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

its ok that america didnt go to the world cup, there are much bigger footballing nations that arent going and i look forward to seeing new countries taking their place, imo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bogan Krkic posted:

its ok that america didnt go to the world cup, there are much bigger footballing nations that arent going and i look forward to seeing new countries taking their place, imo

i was kind of sad but seeing the panama supporters go nuts and the players lying weeping in joy on the field kind of made me feel this way. they appreciate it much more than we ever will.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i was kind of sad but seeing the panama supporters go nuts and the players lying weeping in joy on the field kind of made me feel this way. they appreciate it much more than we ever will.

Watching Egypt and Iceland celebrate made me a fan. We didn’t earn a bid, but there are some fun teams that did.

I’m still sad, though. I like having the US there, but I have my mom’s home country to cheer on.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Panama partied so hard and so late that the President was forced to accept the inevitable and make the next day a national day of celebration because nobody would be in a fit state to work. Frankly it owns.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

FartingBedpost posted:

Watching Egypt and Iceland celebrate made me a fan. We didn’t earn a bid, but there are some fun teams that did.

I’m still sad, though. I like having the US there, but I have my mom’s home country to cheer on.

Egypt is not a fun team

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

African AIDS cum posted:

Egypt is not a fun team

I didn’t watch them win, I just watched the post game celebration, which was fun. But there are some actual fun teams that are in.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The real question is not how the US can be so bad, but how 1.3bn Chinese people can't produce a team of non-wastemen

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

WeAreTheRomans posted:

The real question is not how the US can be so bad, but how 1.3bn Chinese people can't produce a team of non-wastemen

because they don't play football and aren't interested in football?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

RideTheSpiral posted:

because they don't play football and aren't interested in football?

Neither do American men though

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

WeAreTheRomans posted:

It's almost as if thats why america is also extremely bad at football despite being extremely wealthy and populous

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Oh 500 posts since i last checked in what happ

:stare:

Hey dont feel bad American fans, Canada didnt even make the Hex!

And they lost a friendly to el salvador as well!

Hehe

Eheh

:smith:

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Yet for some reason they expect to qualify for the World Cup.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Bruce Arena remains unfired.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

WeAreTheRomans posted:

There's a book called Soccernomics that I think we all should read. I don't think many people have heard of it, though.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Are there any vids/reactions from the t&t side? Kinda wonder how they felt after returning the favor to US

e: here
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/11/world/americas/usmnt-trinidad-world-cup.html

Jack Warner :laffo: http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20171011/news/jack-feels-like-partying

Ignis fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 12, 2017

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
guys have we already discussed the burning question of who will replace gordon strachan to manage scotland and keep the proud tradition of never ever winning anything?

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Pook Good Mook posted:

Bruce Arena remains unfired.

lol Bruce Arena must have some dark poo poo on somebody.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

FartingBedpost posted:

Maybe Gulati realizes that if he fires Arena it's a tacit acknowledgement that he should be fired to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

FartingBedpost posted:

Arena is from New Jersey maybe he has mob ties and threw the match against Trinidad for big $$$$.

• Locked thread