Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Seriously, that character took only a few episodes to become of the dumbest, most annoying Trek characters ever written.

It's like Roddenberry rose from the grave and started writing again.

She wasn't that bad. One-dimensional sure but she was no Neelix.

That said, as a stand-in for how hosed up Captain Angry was making his crew, she served her purpose as "metaphorical stand-in for everything going wrong on Discovery."

My tick with her was I kept seeing her as Tory from BSG and couldn't shake it since both characters had the same "give no-shits" attitudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is there a voyager season 8 Twitter?

When B'Elanna Torres becomes trapped on the holodeck with Werewolves, she must become Belladonna Torres. Neelix appears to Chakotay in a spirit vision.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Have some DS9 baseball gifs

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
baseball episode is the best episode of star trek that will be made

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Hector Beerlioz posted:

baseball episode is the best episode of star trek that will be made

Baseball episode and In The Pale Moonlight are so god drat good. DS9 owns.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

DS9 is so loving good and baseball episode is amazing. gently caress I love DS9. I thought only a couple years was too soon to watch it through again but we decided it was time. It's some how better.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Baseball episode and In The Pale Moonlight are so god drat good. DS9 owns.

In The Pale Moonlight is probably my favorite episode out of any Trek. Is good.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Baronjutter posted:

DS9 is so loving good and baseball episode is amazing. gently caress I love DS9. I thought only a couple years was too soon to watch it through again but we decided it was time. It's some how better.

Are you saying it’s aged like a fine DSwine?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I mean, you have to let Trek shows hit their stride, Season 1 TNG was, well:

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A Shipful of Tashas

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

COMRADES posted:

A Shipful of Tashas

Nothing would ever get done because they'd all be explaining how X isn't important because rape-gangs.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Nothing would ever get done because they'd all be explaining how X isn't important because rape-gangs.

Also winners don't do drugs. Even if they do make you feel really good.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

angerbeet posted:

There's something about these aliens, they have a unique similarity to an ancient Earth culture, which we all admire.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Baronjutter posted:

There's something about these aliens, they have a unique similarity to an ancient Earth culture, which we all admire.

The same vessel that transported the hadrosaurs to the Delta quadrant also swung back around and littered the Beta quadrant with funk band album covers on their way out of the galaxy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MA-Horus posted:

why does the saucer section of the discovery spin around like a loving turntable

what possible loving function does that have

You spin me right round, baby
Right round like a record, baby
Right round round round

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Oh dear, I'm starting to think the spinny bits weren't well thought out at all. I was looking for a gif or something that would show the ship, found this from april:

The saucer is all one peice like every other federation ship. But since it is CGI rather than a physical model, some studio exec probably came along and was all "That's dull, can you sex that up a bit?"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

angerbeet posted:

Anyone that tries to defend a show's first season being bad as an okay thing because TNG did it is basically saying the showrunner is (equivalent in their faculties to) a senile, incoherent old man strung out on pills and liquor. That's a huge part of why TNG's first season was a trainwreck: Gene Roddenberry was practically out of his mind by 1987, and between his raging insecurity and his attorney's treachery, the show had no firm direction or leadership and burned through over thirty writers in the first year.

If a modern team of showrunners can't do any better, that's a pretty damning indictment of their talent and ability in my opinion.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

Oh dear, I'm starting to think the spinny bits weren't well thought out at all. I was looking for a gif or something that would show the ship, found this from april:

The saucer is all one peice like every other federation ship. But since it is CGI rather than a physical model, some studio exec probably came along and was all "That's dull, can you sex that up a bit?"

Yeah it looks like they tweaked the design a little. It used to look like this

Now it looks like this

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
At this point in existence, shows should be awesome out of the gate. It's not like this is some magical mystery.
Look at what works, and go with that.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
im enjoying discovery and will continue to watch it

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Now it looks like this

Huh, I guess it is impossible to walk from the inner ring to the outer ring? You need to take a turbolift so the computer can time the transition when lift shafts on the rings are lined up. I can't wait for the crawling through the jeffries tubes episode where someone has to make it around the dumb ship manually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqRdT8m1Suo&t=22s

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hector Beerlioz posted:

im enjoying discovery and will continue to watch it

:eyepop:

THS
Sep 15, 2017

It sucks and it's embarrassing, it's grimdark Star Trek and it'll get cancelled after one season because CBS is betting on their own streaming network taking off, which it won't.

In the cultural zeitgeist of the era (forgive me for that phrasing) why does anyone want to watch some brown miserable show where everyone is lovely to eachother when we live on planet hell already?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Now it looks like this

First one looks like an IDIC medal with nacelles attached.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Facebook Aunt posted:

It looks like a roulette wheel with nacelles glued to it.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
they pretty much just copied the unused design from the 70s tv series that never materialized

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Now they have a canon reason why they stopped using it. :rimshot:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
it showed up in that tng two parter in the ship graveyard, lower right

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Hey, spoiler thar poo poo.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Yandat posted:

It sucks and it's embarrassing, it's grimdark Star Trek and it'll get cancelled after one season because CBS is betting on their own streaming network taking off, which it won't.

In the cultural zeitgeist of the era (forgive me for that phrasing) why does anyone want to watch some brown miserable show where everyone is lovely to eachother when we live on planet hell already?

It'll get a second season because Netflix and because ditching it after a single season would bruise too many of the wrong egos at the studio level, I mean these are people that paid to astroturf the loving Star Trek reddit after the initial teaser went out and everyone called it for looking like trash

and because there is no such thing as a just and loving god in our universe

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It is totally salvageable. The magic fungus works on some kind of quantum level or poo poo, right?

Discovery: Woops we've accidentally been fungi teleported to 2399! Our ship is heavily damaged and all the records of how this happened have been destroyed!

Captain Nog: Hello Discovery, welcome to 2399. Your disappearance was a real mystery, glad to have that solved.

Discovery: Oh no, we have to go back, we have to win the war!

Captain Nog: What? No, you can't go back, that would disrupt the timeline. Besides, the war is long over and everything was resolved just fine without you. We're allies with the klingons now.

Discovery: Whaa?!?

The federation is still a little low on hulls, so Discovery is sent to a nearby starbase for a refit instead of being scrapped.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Facebook Aunt posted:

It is totally salvageable. The magic fungus works on some kind of quantum level or poo poo, right?

Discovery: Woops we've accidentally been fungi teleported to 2399! Our ship is heavily damaged and all the records of how this happened have been destroyed!

Captain Nog: Hello Discovery, welcome to 2399. Your disappearance was a real mystery, glad to have that solved.

Captain Nog: What? No, you can't go back, that would disrupt the timeline. Besides, the war is long over and everything was resolved just fine without you. We're allies with the klingons now.

The federation is still a little low on hulls, so Discovery is sent to a nearby starbase for a refit instead of being scrapped.

Harry Kim is still an ensign on Captain Nog's ship though, right? Or has he finally made Lieutenant J.G.?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Either way he still doesn't have any balls because every time he tries to schedule an appointment to get replacement balls implanted, it keeps getting blocked and denied by Admiral Janeway. :v:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I assume the redesign was because the reaction to the original ship reveal was so negative. The changes are ...less bad.

As for the spinning, are you guys being purposely obtuse or do you actually not notice how only a thin layer of the saucer sections move, it's not like the entire thing with all the decks is moving.

https://i.imgur.com/qlG7m53.gifv

Facebook Aunt posted:

Discovery: Those are Klingons??

Worf, out of nowhere: We don't discuss it with outsiders.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

for fucks sake that looks so goddamn retarded why are a few sections of hull just spinning

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

MA-Horus posted:

for fucks sake that looks so goddamn retarded why are a few sections of hull just spinning

ya know, science stuff

counterfeitsaint posted:

are you guys being purposely obtuse

Hello and welcome to somethingawful.com

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Tighclops posted:

It'll get a second season because Netflix and because ditching it after a single season would bruise too many of the wrong egos at the studio level, I mean these are people that paid to astroturf the loving Star Trek reddit after the initial teaser went out and everyone called it for looking like trash

and because there is no such thing as a just and loving god in our universe

i thought netflix had already pulled out by this point and it's entirely up to CBS to put up the money for any more episodes

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Why does it spin? Why does it have pieces cut out of the saucer section? Looks terrible. I prefer the chunky design that actually looks like it would work.

I also hate Romulan D'deridex warbirds.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

The General posted:

Why does it spin? Why does it have pieces cut out of the saucer section? Looks terrible. I prefer the chunky design that actually looks like it would work.

I also hate Romulan D'deridex warbirds.

It only does that when it's about to use its magic space spore warp drive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

It only does that when it's about to use its magic space spore warp drive

But why? Just looks dumb. I do like the barrel roll they do before they go though.