Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The electric chair's too good for em I say.

e: taxed again? gently caress my life.

ee: There's a cat in there somewhere. gently caress the IRS.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/americansatan/status/917573882399166471

fritzgryphon
Jul 15, 2017

by Lowtax

Lladre posted:

No. I meant 6Gb/s .

I mean, for an individual player, if they were looking at resource monitor for network traffic while playing.

My DSL caps at 25Mb/s down.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

I wonder how many of the user submitted reviews are going to mention the memorable character "VIC'S MOM"?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

fritzgryphon posted:

My brain still can't accept the netcode. I mean, syncing everything-always is a cliche for babby's first game, but no, not for a 100mil project. Like, even if a ship has 6 doors and 5 turrets and 3 ladders and 12 lockers and 10 damageable/detatchable parts, these things shouldn't send anything unless their state or position changes. It sounds too broken good to be true.

I know it's a really specific question, but does anyone have a clue how much connection traffic there is for a player, just while flying 1 ship around the space station?

edit: and a 'storage grid' for 0.5m boxes in the hold, and a manifest of items you throw on the floor.

Yes several us do.

It would take several station wagons full of backup tapes traveling above the constant c to deliver Robert's vision.

With that said, that's the easy part. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the atomic level DB stuff on their global/economic/super_server that records everything.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

hot balls man no homo posted:

I wonder how many of the user submitted reviews are going to mention the memorable character "VIC'S MOM"?

Literally all of them. Our Dereks will blot out the sun.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I just hope the scenery can survive malcolm mcdowell chewing on it continuously and at full force for 2 hours

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
This poo poo just writes itself now. FF to 5:55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTynrGcUI6Q

quote:

"...for some reason performance is in the toilet on today’s build” – CIG Dev, AtV 10/05/17 (recorded 10/02/17)

3.0 patch released to Evocati on 10/05/17 anyway.

gently caress it. Everything is fine. Backers will never know. :negative:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

AP posted:

I just hope you're ready with an apology for having doubted him.

lmao, yeah i'll write a blog

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

D_Smart posted:

This poo poo just writes itself now. FF to 5:55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTynrGcUI6Q
Intentional or not - but probably so- he makes it sound like he'd just heard about this huge performance issue that is specific to that day's build.

Like, it wasn't a problem with any of the (at least recent) previous builds and will probably be fixed soon, in a future build, because it's a new bug or something that's causing it.

YEAH RIGHT.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Meanwhile on the internet in a video entitled "I Stand for CIG, and I Support Star Citizen, and Always Will!"
11:45 - "I do not want to talk a lot about turrets right now; I do not want to really get into heavy game mechanics when there is no game that I can play."

:allears:

How do you hold those two thoughts simultaneously?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

big nipples big life posted:

lmao, yeah i'll write a blog

I'm just messing with you, I doubt he'd care if you spontaneously combusted.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AbstractNapper posted:

Intentional or not - but probably so- he makes it sound like he'd just heard about this huge performance issue that is specific to that day's build.

Like, it wasn't a problem with any of the (at least recent) previous builds and will probably be fixed soon, in a future build, because it's a new bug or something that's causing it.

YEAH RIGHT.

Yup. They've known about it for MONTHS because, shockingly, I've been writing about that because sources have been saying that since LAST YEAR.

But that's just FUD though. They totally only found out. Right then. Literally minutes before they spliced in his camera segment.

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Meanwhile, my subjects over at the /r/ds farm/quarantine/wank-factory are wondering why I didn't add Evocati vids to my latest blog.

----------------

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

AP posted:

I'm just messing with you, I doubt he'd care if you spontaneously combusted.

drat, I guess I'll never get to be his little warprince, whatever shall I do.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Virtual Captain posted:

Meanwhile on the internet in a video entitled "I Stand for CIG, and I Support Star Citizen, and Always Will!"
11:45 - "I do not want to talk a lot about turrets right now; I do not want to really get into heavy game mechanics when there is no game that I can play."

'people will pay to know what they really think' -jr "bob" dobbs

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

MinorInconvenience posted:

Isn't this, plus the ol' floating point error, the reason why the spinning sections of port olisar end up attaching themselves to player ships that get too close and twirling off into the distance?

If the rings spin off due to collisions with player ships, that would be because the rings are created as physics objects (which makes them conserve momentum during collisions), and are configured with a preposterously small amount of mass relative to the ships. It would be incredibly stupid to make those rings physics objects at all. They should be normal game objects with normal colliders which basically give them infinite intertia (think Doom-style walls).

This is yet more evidence for me that CIG has massively downscaled all objects in the game world. An example would be, if a humanoid model is ususllay 1 CryEngine unit in FarCry, making a human 0.001 unit and scaling everything relative to that would effectively make your level 1000x bigger. 1 meter turns into 1km.

Of course, any loving freshspawn game developer right out of college looking for apples on the coast knows not to do this, because it breaks your physics engine (everything acts like it doesn't have enough mass) and it fucks with collisions (because collision detection is only accurate down to roughly the centimeter depending on how fast the object is moving and what your framerate is). Any of that sound familiar?

That's why I always rail on the SC devs. They appear to have made almost every possible rookie mistake in the book and they don't seem to be fixing any of it, just building more floors on top of the burning wicker foundation which was built on a landfill which once was a sacred Native American burial ground.

Star Citizen is fundamentally doomed and will, imo, never be salvaged into a playable game.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Making games is expensive. Let me rephrase that: making games is really, really expensive.

No poo poo.

----------------

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

AbstractNapper posted:

YEAH RIGHT.

Guys, I just now heard that today's build is a $160M broken heap of poo poo, we should look into fixing this issue

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

big nipples big life posted:

drat, I guess I'll never get to be his little warprince, whatever shall I do.

Double down, obviously.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

You spent 3500 dollars on star citizen :lol:

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Foo Diddley posted:

Guys, I just now heard that today's build is a $160M broken heap of poo poo, we should look into fixing this issue

Okay, but only after we finish the demo reel for Citcon. That takes top priority

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
In the dullness of CIGs barren, grey, tumbleweed fields there always shines the beacon of idiocy that is giogetmoney

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tSiacrZHiQ

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

In the dullness of CIGs barren, grey, tumbleweed fields there always shines the beacon of idiocy that is giogetmoney

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tSiacrZHiQ

I don't do all that give me money, like, subscribe and all that lovely stuff. Now, please give me money, subscribe, buy some keys from me, check my affiliates. I just don't do youtube for the money. -Giogetmoney.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I have my own evocati account, recording software, host, video editing software, and numerous blogs to support me going forward with a plan to expose CIG's vile villainy but I think I'm being called for supper and my taekwonjitsu class is after that and im busy this weekend wow where does anyone find the TIME to do anything?

Oh by the way heres 4000 tweets for you to read up on and a couple of blogs for good measure.

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I have my own evocati account, recording software, host, video editing software, and numerous blogs to support me going forward with a plan to expose CIG's vile villainy but I think I'm being called for supper and my taekwonjitsu class is after that and im busy this weekend wow where does anyone find the TIME to do anything?

Oh by the way heres 4000 tweets for you to read up on and a couple of blogs for good measure.

The only reason I could think of derek not releasing vids is because 3.0 is so good and gamechanging.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

D_Smart posted:

Meanwhile, my subjects over at the /r/ds farm/quarantine/wank-factory are wondering why I didn't add Evocati vids to my latest blog.

At first I thought you were screen shot quoting yourself from here, but no. You're screen shot quoting yourself from some other forum.
:sad:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

BloodyScab posted:

The only reason I could think of derek not releasing vids is because 3.0 is so good and gamechanging.

This is 100% true and factual and I am glad of it

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
New bug from Ian. Not a fan of the new watermark censor to be honest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n45dKzJb0aQ

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

trucutru posted:

But did you or beer ban him? You are well-known persons who follow a set of practices associated with the 20th-century Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei and other far-right groups, after all.

Technically I've banned him twice now :eng101:

I really had to polish the poo poo outta my jackboots that day.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

Technically I've banned him twice now :eng101:

I really had to polish the poo poo outta my jackboots that day.

But now there won't be any neutral voice at /r/starcitizen_refunds! Did you consider that?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

trucutru posted:

But now there won't be any neutral voice at /r/starcitizen_refunds! Did you consider that?

I had not considered the implications of my vile actions, no.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

toanoradian posted:

Derek's posts evolved into blogs once it reached certain length, like Pokemon. There's equally as many.

This is thread cannon now

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

thatguy posted:

New bug from Ian. Not a fan of the new watermark censor to be honest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n45dKzJb0aQ

Have there been any leaks of anything new / of note? I seem to remember seamless planetary bollocks and walking around near rocks being a thing or something

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Will there be leaves, jungles with thick vegetation? Lakes, rivers, flowing water with physics simulation? Tall grass? Wheat fields?

These types of complex environments are the ones people want to see.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

:lol:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

TheAgent posted:

maybe , just maybe, they were watching a scripted demo created by an outside contracted studio specifically for Gamescom.

lmao cig is such a poo poo house studio my god. I really hope evidence of this leaks because it would be as good as the amd letter :jackbud:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Virtual Captain posted:

Easy, by being a loving moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

I just hope you're ready with an apology for having doubted him.

well I'm rubbing