Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

STD is terrible but so is most modern TV so who am I to judge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Peachfart posted:

STD is terrible but so is most modern TV so who am I to judge?

We are all to judge

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Star Trek is a delicious cake.

Some parts are a little dry, some a little underdone, but it's all recognizably cake.

Discovery (so far) is a chicken thigh that someone has iced. They did a pretty good job.

Some people like it. To them it has a good flavor and a meatiness that they think the cake has been lacking.

Some people say they like cake, and they like chicken, and they would gladly eat both separately, but together they're fundamentally wrong.

I don't care for chicken thighs. I'm a bit resentful that they might have used the last of the icing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I like my pizza / hot dog metaphor (in the bad thread) better because frosted chicken sounds far worse than Discovery but I agree with your sentiment

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

STD inspired me to rewatch the Enterprise.

Very good first 2 seasons, Crappy post 9/11 Discovery-lite season 3 and surprisingly fun 4th season.

Even the Fat Riker wasn't that bad Second time around.

Now unto TNG season 1.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

hahahahahahahaha

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:jerkbag:

I like Discovery, even if 70% of it is pretty half-baked and stupid. Still better than Voyager and early Enterprise.

I don't fault you for enjoying the show so far (in fact I'm pretty jealous of this remarkable ability because I haven't been able to consistently enjoy this stupid franchise since right around the time my balls dropped) but I really, really don't know that that's true.

Principally, ENT and Voyager were boring and stupid. So far, STD is boring and stupid, except this time with a modern "prestige" TV veneer slathered overtop of the blandness. For me, this propels STD into borderline parody since it's trying so hard to be serious and to be taken seriously that it loops back around to stupid. ENT's third season where they tried to go all 24 In Space gave me the same douche-chills.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Beachcomber posted:

Star Trek is a delicious cake.

What flavor cake?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
[quote="“CPColin”" post="“477284281”"]
What flavor cake?
[/quote]

Cellular peptide with mint frosting, duh.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

adhuin posted:

STD inspired me to rewatch the Enterprise.

Very good first 2 seasons, Crappy post 9/11 Discovery-lite season 3 and surprisingly fun 4th season.

Even the Fat Riker wasn't that bad Second time around.

Now unto TNG season 1.

:thunk:

You should check out dates for when ENT first aired. Not sure how anyone could have missed the name Suliban but here we are

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

CPColin posted:

What flavor cake?

At first it was chocolate, but when I looked again it was yellow!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You should check out dates for when ENT first aired. Not sure how anyone could have missed the name Suliban but here we are

Ent premiered 2 weeks after 9/11, all of that would have been established and filmed months beforehand. He is correct that the 3rd season is when they went all post 9/11, specifically with the Xindi attack at the end of Season 2.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Broken Bow first aired on September 26, 2001. Unless Paramount has one HELL of a turnaround time, I think that's likely a coincidence.

e:f,b

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Heck, I remember hearing that the Suliban were supposed to show up in some Voyager episodes, as a thing to reference in the next series to follow. Sort of like how the Maquis turn up in TNG specifically for use in DS9 and Voyager.

Also, that they were named after the Taliban, but because it sounded exotic. I mean, people knew who the Taliban were before 2001.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Sash! posted:

Heck, I remember hearing that the Suliban were supposed to show up in some Voyager episodes, as a thing to reference in the next series to follow. Sort of like how the Maquis turn up in TNG specifically for use in DS9 and Voyager.

Also, that they were named after the Taliban, but because it sounded exotic. I mean, people knew who the Taliban were before 2001.

TNG and Voyager are such different entities to me that my brain finds it weird their productions overlapped so much. Like the character of Chakotay existed somewhere on paper while they were pumping out Sub-Rosa.

...okay no now it makes more sense.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why did they make the first black woman lead in Star Trek a slave prone to violence with a starship with spinning rims?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Why did they make the first black woman lead in Star Trek a slave prone to violence with a starship with spinning rims?

Slave is a bit strong but she is a convicted criminal who was saved by a white man.

And the answer is because there's a difference between progressive executives and executives trying to be progressive but stepping on all sorts of landmines (possibly hidden in corpses by ARE HEROES) because they are not sufficiently woke to even hire and trust people who are.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think it's fair to say she's a slave, she has to do this job or go to prison. The captain basically has control of her autonomy

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The guy who plays Lorca was on TV earlier in a different show and I'm one of those people who goes 'Ohhh it's that guy we saw last night on xyz'.

Wondering if they're gonna tackle any of the other species in Discovery, Klingons are a bit meh, but the Federation hadn't seen a Romulan or Cardassian at that point had they?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Al Borland Corp. posted:

lol jfc

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Flipswitch posted:

The guy who plays Lorca was on TV earlier in a different show and I'm one of those people who goes 'Ohhh it's that guy we saw last night on xyz'.

Wondering if they're gonna tackle any of the other species in Discovery, Klingons are a bit meh, but the Federation hadn't seen a Romulan or Cardassian at that point had they?
Romulans were a big mystery, I think Cardassians are an unknown; if the Feds had met them they were presumably not sharing a border yet. Would this have been before they went turbo-fascist, timeline wise?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Flipswitch posted:

Romulans no, though they had fought a war with them (but who knows if STD showrunners care to pay attention to that). Cardassians, who knows.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Gimme some loving Andorians!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:jerkbag:

I like Discovery, even if 70% of it is pretty half-baked and stupid. Still better than Voyager and early Enterprise.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, watching it as a comedy actually makes it a good show for the most part. I mean that doesn't fix the wonky action but the skip button is right there.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Gimme some loving Andorians!
I hope they put some in this season. They have mentioned both them and the Tellarites but so far they have not been seen.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The Andorians on ENT were so loving good I almost hope they don't put them on for fear of what they'll look like and act like. Plus their ships will probably be giant flying koosh balls made of blue Shrek ears or something equally loving stupid.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I hope they put some in this season. They have mentioned both them and the Tellarites but so far they have not been seen.

New Andorians will have enormous wigs and RC antennae that occasionally cover the actor's eyes, blinding them in the process.

New Tellarites will be literal pigs with dubbed dialogue.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Big Mean Jerk posted:

New Andorians will have enormous wigs and RC antennae that occasionally cover the actor's eyes, blinding them in the process.

They'll take it in a new direction, similar to the alternative glimpse of Andorians we got in popular TNG episode "The Offspring"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't expect we'd see members of established species other than Vulcans and Klingons. They'd cost money and would probably confuse the narrative (from their perspective). We already have that death guy and Daft Punk Lady.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The Bloop posted:

Plus their ships will probably be giant flying koosh balls made of blue Shrek ears or something equally loving stupid.

I'd be fine with adding the Spathi to Star Trek.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They might put them in the background, they have plenty of weird alien crewmembers. And they've been doing some pretty drat deep continuity cuts, like the Federation logo this week having the Franz Joseph faces.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Delsaber posted:

I'd be fine with adding the Spathi to Star Trek.

lol and agreed but just like with the klingons make them a new drat race completely rather than being a known one in name only

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nessus posted:

I don't expect we'd see members of established species other than Vulcans and Klingons. They'd cost money and would probably confuse the narrative (from their perspective). We already have that death guy and Daft Punk Lady.
There have been background aliens that are more complex makeup jobs than either of those species would be to do

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

There have been background aliens that are more complex makeup jobs than either of those species would be to do
It's not a makeup thing, it's because I'm thinking if they use an Andorian they have to explain who Andorians are and why we care, and based on their portrayals aren't they just Federation-allied Klingons but different, this will confuse people, let's just make them a human or maybe come up with some new Mean Fight Guy Alien with a cheaper makeup job.

Background extras and such are entirely possible, of course.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Make Andorian antennae be the eyes and come out of their heads from their eye sockets, thus blinding all the Andorian actors when they're on set.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Time's Arrow part II, baby. Mark Twain is publicly blabbing that time travel exists. Why don't I remember him ever saying that.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Did these subtitles make an extremely obscure joke

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Shame on you, Mr. Clemens

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Riker: "I just want you to know that I have the utmost respect for the law. *Punches policeman*"

This is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Telling a bunch of mayo boys in a Trek thread that prison labor is modern slavery?

That's bravery my friend. Much respect.