Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

thatguy posted:

New bug from Ian. Not a fan of the new watermark censor to be honest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n45dKzJb0aQ

This is a weird one. We can tell the particle systems are set to "world space" which means once the particles leave the particle emitter, they are not effected by translation or rotation of the emitter (which is attached to the ship). Standard practice for thrusters.

The question is, why do the particle trails jank hard left and right like that? Is the ship de-syncing hard and being whipped left and right in the game world? Maybe, but if that were the case, I would expect the "destination" icons to jiggle or shift wildly when he cuts to cockpit view.

So what else could it be? Are the forces which are applied to the particle system calculated by the server (not by the ship it's attached to), and those forces are out of sync with the ship? Maybe the PS still thinks it's in QD and is rubberbanding in and out of "apply QD forces to particles" and "apply normal flight mode forces to particles".

Looks like a fun one, would like to see the Bugsmashers for that.

Edit: Perhaps the particle system is actually a cat, which are notoriously unpredictable.

Toops fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Maybe they should understand the difference between strict liability, and mens rea.

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe
god i'd rub anyone to read the amd letter

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Toops posted:

This is a weird one. We can tell the particle systems are set to "world space" which means once the particles leave the particle emitter, they are not effected by translation or rotation of the emitter (which is attached to the ship). Standard practice for thrusters.

The question is, why do the particle trails jank hard left and right like that? Is the ship de-syncing hard and being whipped left and right in the game world? Maybe, but if that were the case, I would expect the "destination" icons to jiggle or shift wildly when he cuts to cockpit view.

So what else could it be? Are the forces which are applied to the particle system calculated by the server (not by the ship it's attached to), and those forces are out of sync with the ship? Maybe the PS still thinks it's in QD and is rubberbanding in and out of "apply QD forces to particles" and "apply normal flight mode forces to particles".

The particle entity system is probably not part of the ship's dynamics, that's why they appear to operate independently. They basically did them like you would exhaust effects.

Watch 1-2 mins of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EatDs9Q-WYM&t=24s

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 11, 2017

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

That watermarking.....isn't that WOPR?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Foo Diddley posted:

This checks out

Also lol if you read this poo poo in 2012 and thought it sounded legit

I'm the sand in the 42nd gear on your helmets "lift off my face automatically" mechanism because pulling a helmet off your head is not very futuristic in this WW2 space saga.

Unfortunately I cause you to asphyxiate because the helmet will not come off your head and your air supply is out.

Sorry. I didn't mean to. I was just trying to avenge my sand family from an npc who stepped on us while we were taking a scenic vacation to a floating city over a gas giant. My apologies for your loss. :(

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Toops posted:

If the rings spin off due to collisions with player ships, that would be because the rings are created as physics objects (which makes them conserve momentum during collisions), and are configured with a preposterously small amount of mass relative to the ships. It would be incredibly stupid to make those rings physics objects at all. They should be normal game objects with normal colliders which basically give them infinite intertia (think Doom-style walls).

This is yet more evidence for me that CIG has massively downscaled all objects in the game world. An example would be, if a humanoid model is ususllay 1 CryEngine unit in FarCry, making a human 0.001 unit and scaling everything relative to that would effectively make your level 1000x bigger. 1 meter turns into 1km.

Of course, any loving freshspawn game developer right out of college looking for apples on the coast knows not to do this, because it breaks your physics engine (everything acts like it doesn't have enough mass) and it fucks with collisions (because collision detection is only accurate down to roughly the centimeter depending on how fast the object is moving and what your framerate is). Any of that sound familiar?

That's why I always rail on the SC devs. They appear to have made almost every possible rookie mistake in the book and they don't seem to be fixing any of it, just building more floors on top of the burning wicker foundation which was built on a landfill which once was a sacred Native American burial ground.

Star Citizen is fundamentally doomed and will, imo, never be salvaged into a playable game.
I love posts like this, it's cool to see the plausible "under the hood" explanations as to why everything in Star Citizen is so hosed.

It also reinforces that no amount of "tweaking" will be able to solve problems like this, the fuckup is something that's at a base level, and you'd have to literally start from scratch to "fix" it.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

big nipples big life posted:

You spent 3500 dollars on star citizen :lol:

Brutal. I feel bad.

Just so we're clear, when this is all done, I think it will likely be mentioned that a senior developer for Star Citizen has been to various different parts of the world on a year plus vacation.

For the other stories, BB, NC, DD, some may never be revealed in public, those are just the memorable ones to me

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
[quote="“TheAgent”" post="“477273397”"]
Funding Talk

September was an awful, awful, awful month for funding. An absolutely dismal loving September; the third worst month so far this year, barely edging out January 2017 ($1,753,012).
code:

September 2017: $1,771,934
September 2016: $2,315,704
Difference: -$543,770
Percentage: -24.5%

Although the X1 wasn’t much of a crowd pleaser, bringing in around $478,000 in three days, it helped save CIG from September being the worst month so far this year (that honor goes to March with $1,310,900).

Anything less than $2m a month is a disaster for CIG. That barely covers the operating costs of F42 in England, let alone the myriad of other studios across the globe.

Let’s take a look at a yearly breakdown:
code:

Total Funding in 2017 (to date): $20,281,970
Total Funding in 2016 (January 1st 2016 to October 11th, 2016): $23,261,594
Difference: -$2,979,624
Percentage: -12.9%

Not that big of a difference! Strange though, considering that by this time last year, CitizenCon had it’s big, big reveal and the money absolutely was pouring into CIG’s coffers.
code:

Total Funding in 2017 (to date): $20,281,970
Total Funding Achieved in 2016 (entire year): $36,100,538
Difference: -$15,818,568
Percentage: -43.9%

Yowza. That looks a little bit more problematic, doesn’t it? CIG has to make almost $16m in the next 11 weeks to hit their funding from 2016. That’s almost $1.5m every week until the end of the year.

I can tell you right now: that’s not going to happen. Why?

Last year you had a massive Gamecom reveal, pulling in almost $5m in August 2016 (this years August funding was an anemic $2,751,149 by comparison). That Gamesom SC demo had everything every backer wanted: cool new quests, mission givers, AI, planets, everything! Everything that Chris promised was Right. loving. There. In fact, it was coming before the end of the year! This built a lot of hype around the project and basically backers told doubters “Haha, you dumb fuckers! See! We were right! Pledge more!”

Months later, in October, you had Citcon and the Polaris pre-sale. The Polaris pre-sale brought in about $1,750,000 — that’s just the pre-sale for subs and concierge level backers. We were heading into a hype spiral, trades on r/starcitizen_trades were loving magical and all was right with the Verse. Citcon then generates another (approx) $2.4m just on it’s own, helping to make October 2016 a huge month for funding at $5,215,403.

After that: November, with the Anniversary sale bringing in over $6m, making November 2016 a loving amazing month for CIG at $7,776,767.

And then...radio silence about 3.0. 2.6 is released on December 23rd, 2016 but funding, even with two new concept sales and a bevy of other sales throughout the month of December, is low. It brings in a serviceable $3,021,676 total, but nothing like the juggernaut of the previous months.

This, right here, is when the hype train starts to derail and funding begins to loving dry up. Backers realize that 3.0 might be months and months and months away; maybe, just maybe, they were watching a scripted demo created by an outside contracted studio specifically for Gamescom.

Unless 3.0 is launched in a perfect state, with every promise made over a year ago, you’ll see absolutely nothing like last years insane funding. People are getting wise and actually want the game they were promised and pre-ordered.
[/quote]

I wish I understood the ability for people to want to keep paying for something they don't have to the extent of literally funding a multinational corporation who's job is to literally gently caress up at every opportunity.

It's not even an mmo where at least you get to play something another month. It's just giving money for dlc that probably won't be available for years, if ever.

It's $700 horse armor, but there is no horse, only a picture of the armor, and the gameworld itself is just some guy saying "yeah and that too" to everything and everybody.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I have a p good feeling we will see the AMD letter by the end of 2018 or 2019

there's some serious people sniffing around, and I don't mean gaming sites n stuff

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

TheAgent posted:

there's some serious people sniffing around, and I don't mean gaming sites n stuff

:munch:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Phase 3 of the E.L.E

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/918253054725623814

----------------

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Titanic posted:

I wish I understood the ability for people to want to keep paying for something they don't have to the extent of literally funding a multinational corporation who's job is to literally gently caress up at every opportunity.

It's not even an mmo where at least you get to play something another month. It's just giving money for dlc that probably won't be available for years, if ever.

It's $700 horse armor, but there is no horse, only a picture of the armor, and the gameworld itself is just some guy saying "yeah and that too" to everything and everybody.

Belief does weird things to people.

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
So they are also denying people who have had open tickets for a while, even backers who were exchanging emails with CS, proving identity, valuation of account etc.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...H3Z&sh=f1872ab7

lol

13k backer denied:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...T9I&sh=3d8d3c39

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

big nipples big life posted:

there's like 5 dudes there that make nearly all the comments

Yeah, there's a list in his sig.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

Serious people have been sniffing around for over a year, in my experience the issue is the fact that they are experienced means they take legal issues seriously too, which limits what the can write.

I don't expect anything major in the media until CIG miss payroll or major layoffs happen.

I was interviewed for a major site, 3+ years ago because I was selling so much Star Citizen crap, I popped up on somebodies radar and he contacted me direct. I have no doubt that people in the business know what's happening, how they can safely present that information to the public is a different problem.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
One the one hand I feel bad for the people who wised up and decided to go the refund route...

On the other hand, LOLOLOLOL! The gently caress you think was going to happen? Did anything in the last year inspire hope that any decent release was possible? Were the hundreds of warning signs not enough to get you to refund earlier?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I wouldn't be surprised if refund denials are happening because they don't have the money to accommodate them.

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if refund denials are happening because they don't have the money to accommodate them.

This is my thought as well.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

TheAgent posted:

Warhawk109 posted:

So they are also denying people who have had open tickets for a while, even backers who were exchanging emails with CS, proving identity, valuation of account etc.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...H3Z&sh=f1872ab7

lol

13k backer denied:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...T9I&sh=3d8d3c39
:stare: Well I'll be damned, the ELE really is beginning.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Just as predicted, now legit whales are being denied refunds who have the means and understanding to seek legal recourse. Countdown to missed payroll begins now.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
I wonder if it's too late to apply for that Office Assistant/Barista job

fritzgryphon
Jul 15, 2017

by Lowtax
Good this will let CR fire all the people who are holding back his vision.

Lazy coders haven't even started on the drink mixing and in-flight movie mechanics yet.

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

Saladin Rising posted:

:stare: Well I'll be damned, the ELE really is beginning.

Like really, these are not new refund requests, but ones from almost a month ago, after having been answered to by CS, had them jump through the hoops of identifying themselves (providing ID), and giving them current PayPal address for depositing the funds, then BLAM, nope we changed our minds, you are no longer entitled to your refund.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Justin Tyme posted:

Just as predicted, now legit whales are being denied refunds who have the means and understanding to seek legal recourse. Countdown to missed payroll begins now.

:lesnick: Chris, you promised me all I could eat donuts. Forever. As long as I kept the whales in line

:supaburn: Yes Ben, my most loyal and trusted associate. You will have all the donuts you could ever want soon enough

:lesnick: Where are they Christopher, I want them now. Why is everyone leaving?

:supaburn: Shhh shh, it will be ok. Just look over here into the fire, concentrate on the fire now Ben

*the sound of a revolver being cocked*

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Right, before we all get carried away here and start posting about ELEs and running out of money, there's something that everyone is missing or has completely forgotten about. So take a deep breath and slowly read through what I'm about to say, and I mean really slowly take in each and every single word and please think about it before responding. Can we be absolutely sure, and I mean beyond any and all reasonable doubt whatsoever, taking everything we know into consideration, that this means that combat stances, sliding around, pole vaulting and parkour are not confirmed for the next patch?

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
I feel grief. No wait, I mean all giddy inside. Giddy with the anticipation of schadenfreude.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

SomethingJones posted:

Right, before we all get carried away here and start posting about ELEs and running out of money, there's something that everyone is missing or has completely forgotten about. So take a deep breath and slowly read through what I'm about to say, and I mean really slowly take in each and every single word and please think about it before responding. Can we be absolutely sure, and I mean beyond any and all reasonable doubt whatsoever, taking everything we know into consideration, that this means that combat stances, sliding around, pole vaulting and parkour are not confirmed for the next patch?

Of course they will be, just as soon as Chris returns from the mocapping studio situated in Diyarbakır

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Toops posted:

Makes no sense. Totally ridiculous to send position data about a single child game object, unless that object is moving relative to the parent object (like a turret rotating relative to the ship it's attached to). I assume this is what stock CryEngine netcode does by default but gently caress dude... The first thing they should have done is modify the netcode to only send root gameobject (in this case, "ship") data when a ship is translating or rotating, and let the client figure out where the child objects should be relative to that.

But you see, this is the cost of CRFS (Chris Robert Fidelity Syndrome). Ships have all these stupid frivolous moving parts like ladders, 4-part spacebike doors, individually rotating thrusters, etc, and while to a manchild this is "awesome," it creates tons and tons of complexity on the backend, and especially in the netcode.

That's why this game isn't coming out. Needless complexity due to unmitigated wow-factor "Visionary" bullshit creates an exponentially cascading nested russian doll of impossible, unmaintainable code.

There are some really good posts buried in the noise. This exchange actually makes me understand what's happening in SC, how deep the problems lie, and why they can never be fixed.

Lol that the FPS for this supposedly realistic retro-futurist Anglophile alien outer space game will never be more than suboptimal due directly to its unnecessary "fidelity"

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Haha!

It's just easy to blame goons as opposed to the fact the dream is still decades away.

It's a good thing goons are here to fail because CR can't fail, only be failed.

I hope that guy spite pledged to make up for the loss.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So far nobody knows what is going on. My one credible source was the one who told me that he has to check around because they (devs) have no clue wtf management is even doing from one minute to the next. Then he came back about an hour go and basically said that's the policy going forward.

He did say that the person who notified him, said that she was told that it was always the policy, but that they were issuing refunds on a case by case basis all this time and not something they were required to do.

What's puzzling is that this whole "refund dump" on Reddit happened within the span of 48 hrs following not only my latest article, but also my Tweet reminding people that refunds were going away. I would hate to think that CIG are still reacting to what I'm saying.

Fact is, they apparently are clearing their refund backlog and someone probably hit the "bulk" check mark and hit the send button on "gently caress you, no moah refunds". Of course not everyone is going to run off to Reddit.

The wording of some of those CS emails though, is highly suspect as well, which is why I am stil l not entirely sure that all of them are real. But CIG hires largely incompetent people, so there's that.

----------------

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 12, 2017

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I'm curious to see if they continue to stonewall on refunds in the face of legal action, or if they do something else, like promise refunds but fail to deliver in the hopes that people won't follow up right away, buying them more time.

I can't even imagine the pressure that CRobbles must be under at this point, knowing that he has to knock people's socks off at CitizenCon or finally become the laughingstock of video games. Not that he doesn't deserve every bit of it.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
What's all this about an AMD letter?

Because there are clearly 3 of them

idgi

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Warhawk109 posted:

Like really, these are not new refund requests, but ones from almost a month ago, after having been answered to by CS, had them jump through the hoops of identifying themselves (providing ID), and giving them current PayPal address for depositing the funds, then BLAM, nope we changed our minds, you are no longer entitled to your refund.

That's probably because the directive just recently came down, and they were told that any refunds which hadn't been granted, were also to be refused along with new ones.

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SomethingJones posted:

Well, it doesn't need a whole company to implement those. So I think we're safe for now. Totally getting implemented. They already have exploding heart valves implemented. It's just a matter of changing some config files now to get the rest of those features done.

----------------

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

D_Smart posted:

The particle entity system is probably not part of the ship's dynamics, that's why they appear to operate independently. They basically did them like you would exhaust effects.

Watch 1-2 mins of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EatDs9Q-WYM&t=24s

Right on, like that vid. That's what I meant by setting the particle system to world space, they generate their own forces and aren't effected by translation/rotation of the ship. I assume the emitters are child objects attached to the root ship gameObject, and if CIG didn't do that, and instead added them with some kind of "follower" logic, well, lol, CIG bad.

Now that I say that, it's probably what they did, due to CIG...

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I sincerely hope this isn't the end.

I've spent so long procrastinating in this stupid thread I won't know what to do with myself.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

tak posted:

idgi
Chris allegedly had a nice meltdown while corresponding with AMD before one of their big events. AMD and Star Citizen are no longer friends so it's assumed that the letter was hilarious.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

tak posted:

idgi

TheAgent posted:

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

AMD dude who is part the AMD game promo thing posted:

We're partnered with them [CIG], of course. We are. It's four months before E3 and we're getting our PC showcase set up. We're reaching out to get demos, sizzle reels, all kinds of different promo stuff. We hear back from a lot of people; there's some new stuff, new games, new partners, all that. Absent is a response from CIG.

Someone else here handles all that, she's calling and calling thinking there's some mistake or she's not getting through to the right people. It's now three months until the PC Gamer showcase and there's nothing on the table from CIG. She's trying to set up a conf call or a face to face with CIG and there's nothing solid set up.

She finally talks to someone over there and is assured we'll get a slice of scripted gameplay and some cutscene stuff with the big name A listers on the project. E3 is what, six weeks away? Maybe seven at this point.

A week later what we get a package with a disc, no explanation, table of contents, nothing. On it, there's nothing new, [its] a mashup of all their previous trailers. It's not even cut differently. We have the Hamil one, the Oldman speech, some fighters shooting things and some FPS segments that were lifted straight out of the last con they did. They're all just dumped into a "Promo" folder on a blu-ray.

She's thinking this is a mistake, they sent us the wrong material -- easy mistake to make, you throw in an old disc instead of the one you just cut, it got handled differently, an intern misunderstood what we wanted, whatever. So she calls them up again, no response, emails, nothing.

Two weeks later we get what is referred to around here as the "Letter." Capital "L" letter. The email is addressed to everyone high up at AMD, not even the gaming guys but the chip designers and the heads of departments. The PDF attachment is a rambling statement from Chris about how we're pushing him into something he doesn't think is necessary, he has a vision and that it's "too important" to be disrespected like this.

The decision was made to drop them from the show after that. Probably from our partnership as well, but that's above my head.
if this is true then loving lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

tooterfish posted:

I sincerely hope this isn't the end.

I've spent so long procrastinating in this stupid thread I won't know what to do with myself.
There's always more and it's always worse.