Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Hey here comes a hot fuckin take for you guys

1) Super Paper Mario
2) Color Splash
3) N64
4) 1k Year Door
5) Sticker Star

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Primpin and Pimpin posted:

I just saved your night out and your life.

Man this console is so good. I've been buying new games every week since Steamworld Dig 2 came out (to go with BotW, Splatoon 2, and Rabbids).

I applaud your effort, but that's not included in the official Nintendo promotional material. If Nintendo didn't want me plummeting to my death in spergy despair they would've included some provision for tabletop charging out of the box. :colbert:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

just run the power cable up through the umbrella hole in the middle of the table and center the switch over it

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

why is 1k Door hated so much, is it because of the story? I've never played that one but assume that is the case

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

DLC Inc posted:

why is 1k Door hated so much, is it because of the story? I've never played that one but assume that is the case

Nah you're thinking of Sticker Star, which was bland and had zero redeeming gameplay.

N64 Paper Mario was the best one.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

Why is the most popular and beloved Paper Mario game hated so much? That is a head scratcher all right

(I do like PM64 a tiny bit better but it's insanely close they're both so great)

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The Nyko Portable Docking Kit that comes out this month can charge in tabletop mode when the HDMI cable is unplugged.

I'm hoping the build quality is good as it's pretty versatile at $50 when a good switch AC adapter is at least $25.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

No one worth listening to hates thousand year door

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The Nyko Portable Docking Kit that comes out this month can charge in tabletop mode when the HDMI cable is unplugged.

I'm hoping the build quality is good as it's pretty versatile at $50 when a good switch AC adapter is at least $25.

Looking forward to seeing reviews of this and then how expensive it'll be to get in Australia. I travel a shitload and it'd be awesome to hook my switch into the hotel TVs.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
bayonetta and mad world but they're on the switch, hire me

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

dog nougat posted:

I applaud your effort, but that's not included in the official Nintendo promotional material. If Nintendo didn't want me plummeting to my death in spergy despair they would've included some provision for tabletop charging out of the box. :colbert:

Sorry for you loss; the rooftop tiki bar I went to had 8 other diverse, millennial Switch owners, so we did local wifi 16 player Mario Kart races with one Switch set aside charging. At the end of the night everyone exchanged phone numbers, friend codes, and fetlife ids.

The Switch is good.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0765SZ1VC
Look at this!
LOOK AT IT!

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 12, 2017

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Which Paper Marios are good and which ones are bad depends on whether you liked the fun worldbuilding and writing and art or you liked Math

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Japan is a thousand years ahead of us. :eyepop:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Preordered.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Why is the most popular and beloved Paper Mario game hated so much? That is a head scratcher all right

(I do like PM64 a tiny bit better but it's insanely close they're both so great)

gently caress I meant Super Paper Mario

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

gently caress I meant Super Paper Mario

SPM is disliked because it's not an RPG. Rather it's a weird kind of sort of platformer with RPG elements, but it still controls like a paper mario game. So it's not a great platformer and it doesn't really know what it wants to be.

I still like it anyway because it does do some cool things with the 3D vs 2D flipping gimmick. And unlike the later Mario RPGs which are criticized for genericization and dull stories, SPM has as good and funny a story as the first two.

It also has two sections which use tedium as a source for humor and they get tiresome as they continue a good bit past when they stop being funny. Not that that's a first for Paper Mario.... General White....

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 12, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I used my brand new Switch to buy Stardew Valley so I would have something to play on the road. I played it for about 2 hours and noticed this horrible crackling coming from the game. At first I thought it was the TV, but it does this in handheld mode as well. Resetting the game temporarily fixed the issue but it came back again.

Is this a known issue with Stardew Valley?

Regy Rusty posted:

SPM is disliked because it's not an RPG. Rather it's a weird kind of sort of platformer with RPG elements, but it still controls like a paper mario game. So it's not a great platformer and it doesn't really know what it wants to be.

I still like it anyway because it does do some cool things with the 3D vs 2D flipping gimmick. And unlike the later Mario RPGs which are criticized for genericization and dull stories, SPM has as good and funny a story as the first two.

It also has two sections which use tedium as a source for humor and they get tiresome as they continue a good bit past when they stop being funny. Not that that's a first for Paper Mario.... General White....

I don't think its just because its not an RPG. The level design in SPM simply isn't as good and a lot of the chapters aren't as interesting, both in terms of visuals and writing. Also I think the writing is way worse; it has a lot of dumb melodramatic bullshit. Everything involving that stupid butterfly made me roll my eyes.

Also you're right that "tedium=humor" isn't new to the series, but SPM takes it to a whole new level. That game has 3 separate Pit of 100 trials equivalents and makes you do one of them twice. That game hates completionists.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 12, 2017

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Internet Kraken posted:

So I used my brand new Switch to buy Stardew Valley so I would have something to play on the road. I played it for about 2 hours and noticed this horrible crackling coming from the game. At first I thought it was the TV, but it does this in handheld mode as well. Resetting the game temporarily fixed the issue but it came back again.

Happens to me too in docked mode. Game has a shitload of bugs and problems

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Internet Kraken posted:

It is, and the next patch is gonna fix a lot of stuff.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Cool, I was worried that my new console was already broken :regd09:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

Cool, I was worried that my new console was already broken :regd09:

Rest assured, your Switch is Perfect

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't think its just because its not an RPG. The level design in SPM simply isn't as good and a lot of the chapters aren't as interesting, both in terms of visuals and writing. Also I think the writing is way worse; it has a lot of dumb melodramatic bullshit. Everything involving that stupid butterfly made me roll my eyes.

Also you're right that "tedium=humor" isn't new to the series, but SPM takes it to a whole new level. That game has 3 separate Pit of 100 trials equivalents and makes you do one of them twice. That game hates completionists.

I didn't mean it in the sense that people don't like it "just" because it's not an RPG, but rather that it's not a good whatever it's trying to be instead of an RPG. Which I agree with. It's why even though I do like a lot about it I've only ever replayed it once.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I thought the 100 warrior tourney in SPM was hilarious but I recognize that's a not commonly held opinion

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Still waiting for Sonic to be patched to allow the Home button to work properly

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zelder posted:

I thought the 100 warrior tourney in SPM was hilarious but I recognize that's a not commonly held opinion

It's pretty funny the first time through for the story but holy poo poo doing the full thing is miserable

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

creationist believer posted:

Sorry for you loss; the rooftop tiki bar I went to had 8 other diverse, millennial Switch owners, so we did local wifi 16 player Mario Kart races with one Switch set aside charging. At the end of the night everyone exchanged phone numbers, friend codes, and fetlife ids.

The Switch is good.

:shepicide:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zelder posted:

Its funny that they wrote unique dialogue for all 100 of the warrriors.

Its less funny that the game has 3 separate 100 fight challenges.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Internet Kraken posted:

tbf completionists deserve all the punishment they've got coming to them

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

iajanus posted:

Still waiting for Sonic to be patched to allow the Home button to work properly

That already came out. Manually update your game.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Japan is a thousand years ahead of us. :eyepop:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1446251

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

My issue with a few of the Paper Mario games is that some of them aren't really interested in being Mario games. Like, the original Paper Mario has a nice balance, but while TYYD is objectively good in many respects, it's kind of frustrating how it sends Mario to a place that doesn't feel as much like a Mario world and seems more concerned with its own mythology. Then Super Paper Mario doubles up on it and sends him to an alternate universe of all things and it's a multiverse spanning adventure. It gets to the point where Mario himself feels superfluous in these games - I get that he's a silent protagonist but I think the Mario & Luigi games do a better job of keeping that while also letting the brothers be characters in their own story.

I dunno. I kinda see the logic in the new focus on established Mario characters, because like... they're very basic archetypes at their core, but in the same way the Disney animated staples are. Their characterization is broad enough and they're weirdly simple enough that you can do a surprisingly good amount with them. Too often the first three PM games feel like they want to do something different for the sake of doing something different.

A good example of this is Kammy Koopa. Like, why does Bowser have two Magikoopa characters who are old and get treated like crap? She and Kamek are pratically identical, so why not just use Kamek and let us learn more about Kamek?

I know I'm probably gonna get "lol, story in Mario games" but these are rpgs, so. I think it's worth discussing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

My issue with a few of the Paper Mario games is that some of them aren't really interested in being Mario games. Like, the original Paper Mario has a nice balance, but while TYYD is objectively good in many respects, it's kind of frustrating how it sends Mario to a place that doesn't feel as much like a Mario world and seems more concerned with its own mythology. Then Super Paper Mario doubles up on it and sends him to an alternate universe of all things and it's a multiverse spanning adventure. It gets to the point where Mario himself feels superfluous in these games - I get that he's a silent protagonist but I think the Mario & Luigi games do a better job of keeping that while also letting the brothers be characters in their own story.

I dunno. I kinda see the logic in the new focus on established Mario characters, because like... they're very basic archetypes at their core, but in the same way the Disney animated staples are. Their characterization is broad enough and they're weirdly simple enough that you can do a surprisingly good amount with them. Too often the first three PM games feel like they want to do something different for the sake of doing something different.

A good example of this is Kammy Koopa. Like, why does Bowser have two Magikoopa characters who are old and get treated like crap? She and Kamek are pratically identical, so why not just use Kamek and let us learn more about Kamek?

I know I'm probably gonna get "lol, story in Mario games" but these are rpgs, so. I think it's worth discussing.

Kammy Koopa is better than Kamek, telling new stories in new locations is exactly what's so cool about the Mario RPGs.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I played the Odyssey demo for a couple minutes today and it seemed pretty dope. Looks beautiful. It seemed like Mario has some motion control moves like flicking the hat up in the air that I couldn’t replicate with standard controls. Not sure if that’s how it is or if I didn’t play long enough to figure it out! Anyone else try it yet?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Regy Rusty posted:

Kammy Koopa is better than Kamek, telling new stories in new locations is exactly what's so cool about the Mario RPGs.

That's the thing; it's not really telling anything new when both characters are almost exactly the same.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Those are two separate thoughts I only put the Kammy Koopa part in because I am a passionate Kammy Koopa fan.

But basically everything in your post is you listing as a bad thing what I and many others love about the Mario RPGs

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
yeah Mario games have a pretty sterile, boring mythos that has been explored to hell and back, even Super Mario RPG deviated heavily from the standard fare because eh, it's cute and aesthetically pleasing for action games but just not engaging enough for a deeper experience

I like that TTYD still remained true to its predecessor while tossing us in a fresh new environment with its own quirks and vibe

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's not that I don't like new characters, or new situations. I love Superstar Saga, and it's only in the Mushroom Kingdom for like 10 minutes. Every original character it introduces both feels like a Mario character and has a role that can't be filled by someone who already exists.

It's about balance and I think that TYYD somewhat has a problem with that, and that SPM has a MUCH bigger problem with that.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Regy Rusty posted:

Kammy Koopa is better than Kamek

wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fun Times! posted:

I played the Odyssey demo for a couple minutes today and it seemed pretty dope. Looks beautiful. It seemed like Mario has some motion control moves like flicking the hat up in the air that I couldn’t replicate with standard controls. Not sure if that’s how it is or if I didn’t play long enough to figure it out! Anyone else try it yet?

Where/how/when can I play this demo?

• Locked thread