Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'this guy who raped and murdered women is redeemable and deserving of personhood, unlike this fat girl who committed the grave crime of being fat and wanting to gently caress'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

In hindsight I guess it's kind of dumb for me to expect positive messages from a video game where the main non-battle mechanic is you lying to and manipulating your friends for personal gain

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

U-DO Burger posted:

In hindsight I guess it's kind of dumb for me to expect positive messages from a video game where the main non-battle mechanic is you lying to and manipulating your friends for personal gain

persona has issues but that is a ludicrously cynical read of the social link mechanic

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

unless its persona 3, which in that case is 100% accurate.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Roobanguy posted:

unless its persona 3, which in that case is 100% accurate.

excuse me, the female protagonist loves and cherishes her friends, you egg

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

My first persona game was 3, where social links tended to reward you for saying what the other person wants to hear instead of what they need to hear (Moon and Magician were so loving bad). Also in order to max out the social links you had to bang all the women on your team, ideally without them finding out you're six-timing them

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

dmboogie posted:

excuse me, the female protagonist loves and cherishes her friends, you egg

not canon :smuggo:

also friggin were gonna make a whole new main character with all new social links/platonic relationships with boys but you better believe you still gotta bang all the girls if you're the dude MC.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Yeah it’s hard to do a 100% link run of 3 and come out the other end thinking the male protag is anything but a manipulative sociopath crazed with his lust for more demon powers.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Getsuya posted:

Yeah it’s hard to do a 100% link run of 3 and come out the other end thinking the male protag is anything but a manipulative sociopath crazed with his lust for more demon powers.

he is supposed to be a sociopath though

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm glad I never played original p3, because I would hate the series then

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Tae posted:

I'm glad I never played original p3, because I would hate the series then

I can confirm personally that this is true.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

U-DO Burger posted:

(Moon and Magician were so loving bad)

magician is great, it's like "ok brah you do you"

sometimes all you can do is shrug and watch, people can be bull-headed like that

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
persona 3 has more consistent and interesting thematic concepts than persona 4 but minato is definitely a weird guy

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

seeing a bunch of people, including your parents, die would probably gently caress you up.

actually, scratch that, i guess the girl mc turned out fine.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

magician is great, it's like "ok brah you do you"

sometimes all you can do is shrug and watch, people can be bull-headed like that

High school teachers dating their students is really gross and it took me forever to finish that social link because I kept trying to tell the guy that his situation is terrible and he needs to break it off.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
she was never dating him, she was straight up just his tutor and he took it the wrong way because he's an idiot

sometimes a cigar is just a cigar

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
you do date your teacher who moonlights as a sex worker in persona 5 though

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I haven't played three but judging by 4 and 5 I doubt it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

she was never dating him, she was straight up just his tutor and he took it the wrong way because he's an idiot

yeah the teacher is the victim in that s. link, because she's just tutoring him and her student keeps creeping on her no matter how much she shuts him down

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

cheetah7071 posted:

you do date your teacher who moonlights as a sex worker in persona 5 though

Which is just incredibly hosed up on every level.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

ah whoops, I remembered that one wrong. Still wish the game didn't punish you for trying to tell the guy that he should stop trying to bone his teacher.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Zore posted:

Which is just incredibly hosed up on every level.

yeah who dates a sex worker?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
anyway all the modern persona games have problematic elements but the "persona 5 is actually bad" hot take is a bad one imo. At its worst it's a very good game with some bad parts

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

anyway all the modern persona games have problematic elements but the "persona 5 is actually bad" hot take is a bad one imo. At its worst it's a very good game with some bad parts

i don't think anyone is actually saying that

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
modern persona games are well-made games with great music, decent-ish character writing and zero self-awareness

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

dmboogie posted:

i don't think anyone is actually saying that

Endorph has in other threads at least even if she didn't fully voice that thought here

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

persona 5 is a 7.5/10. thats not me saying its bad thats me saying its above average but not stellar. the writing is insanely spotty and inconsistent in a way that is rivaled by such greats as sonic 2006 and, like, tales of zestiria, half the party is really bland and the other half doesnt get any real development or a consistent arc, except for futaba, about half of the dungeons have really bland, boring villains in a game where the premise only really carries you forward if the villain's good, it goes on about twenty hours too long, and the social system is balanced terribly becuase if you don't abuse wheel of fortune you're totally hosed and if you do abuse wheel of fortune you get everyone maxed with a month to spare.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Endorph has in other threads at least even if she didn't fully voice that thought here
ive never said that persona 5 is bad, just that it's not great. persona 5 is a good game with a lot of deep flaws.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

ive never said that persona 5 is bad, just that it's not great. persona 5 is a good game with a lot of deep flaws.

guess I've misunderstood you in multiple threads then

"Persona 5 is merely above average" is still a bad hot take imo but I don't really care enough to die on that hill

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I cannot believe you compared a Persona game to Tales of Zestiria.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

I cannot believe you compared a Persona game to Tales of Zestiria.
persona 5 has a trip to hawaii where the entire game forgets who's aware of what plot information, and then when you get back to japan you immediately go on a different beach trip and nobody ever mentions that they literally just went on an entire overseas trip to a big beach

persona 5 is definitely a way better game than zesty but in terms of insane inconsistency and obviously rushed writing/feeling like its slapped together from three different games, it gives it a run for its money

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

cheetah7071 posted:

guess I've misunderstood you in multiple threads then

"Persona 5 is merely above average" is still a bad hot take imo but I don't really care enough to die on that hill

I think you might want to take a step back if the opinion a good game with flaws is a hot take.

It's the mildest take possible.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

IMO Persona 5 might have been better if it hadn't used "and a character is going to get sexually assaulted!!" as the deadline for half the dungeons.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont even get how thats a hot tak because 'persona 5 is a good game with flaws' seems to have been the barometer that the internet has landed on, i havent seen much of the lavish praise that p3 and p4 got upon release. like maybe im just looking in the wrong places but even people who really love it think ann's underwritten and that the third palace sucks and such.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Maybe I stopped reading people's stone-cold takes on the game too soon then I guess? Maybe it is I, still in "persona 5 goty" mode, who have the hot take

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

have you played tales of berseria

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Endorph posted:

i dont even get how thats a hot tak because 'persona 5 is a good game with flaws' seems to have been the barometer that the internet has landed on, i havent seen much of the lavish praise that p3 and p4 got upon release. like maybe im just looking in the wrong places but even people who really love it think ann's underwritten and that the third palace sucks and such.

Third palace can't suck, it has the second best dungeon theme! Like yeah its place in the plot is pretty pointless but its gameplay presence was pretty alright, even if the final vault segment goes on way too long.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I asked in this thread a million pages ago if I should have bought it on sale if I was lukewarm on tales games and everyone said no it's just the zenith of tales, not subgenre defyingly good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
berseria is absolutely the best game in the series and one of the best games this year

it's hard to know if you wouldn't like it without knowing what games you're lukewarm on because it's pretty different from a lot of them tonally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I asked in this thread a million pages ago if I should have bought it on sale if I was lukewarm on tales games and everyone said no it's just the zenith of tales, not subgenre defyingly good
ive changed my mind, its subgenre defyingly good

unless you really hate tales combat i guess

but its a game about broken angry people that actually A) allows them their anger, B) takes some actual narrative risks that work and C) has actually charming, likeable characters who bounce off each other well and have natural conflict with each other due to differing world views and experiences instead of really forced melodrama like the ryuji/morgana thing and D) consistently hates the idea of men making decisions for women

so what im saying is its better at being persona 5 than persona 5