Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Generic Monk posted:

$70796 according to my extensively researched wikipedia calculations

well there you go, you shouldn't have watched the movie in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

l

m

a

o

kill me, im ded now!! that was so much dumber than I had ever even imagined lol

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

wow i wonder how they did the water in real-time

oh its a movie?
oh wow

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
gettin real i, claudius era bbc drama vibes from that poo poo

like 'yeah it's fake, gently caress you'

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I never saw any of the Hobbit movies but watching that clip is, like, distressing to me on some visceral level. Like my brain keeps trying to reject it

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

how did peter jackson get hold of my theme park water ride videos???

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
it looks like a loving video game, and not in a good way

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

that must have been...something...seeing it in a hfr 3d theater

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

the gopros were always horrible trash but i maintain that the hobbit movies don't make sense without 48fps

also man, hi-8. i transferred a bunch of hi-8 tapes earlier this year and they are a bad, bad format.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
its loving bullshit garbage that the hobbit was shot in 48 fps instead of a proper 60 fps

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Should have gone the full Billy Lynn and gone 120fps

48fps is a fun framerate since it's completely unsupported on Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray. Peter Jackson should do a truly classic New Zealand release at 50fps with PAL speedup.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

yeeah it's 48fps so they could half it and mush it up a little bit for the 24fps version, which sucks. 120fps would have been better but billy lynn was pushing the boundaries out even for today. still mad i didn't get to see the preview showing of a scene in 120fps/HDR/3D

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

josh04 posted:

also man, hi-8. i transferred a bunch of hi-8 tapes earlier this year and they are a bad, bad format.

I think there's still a couple of 767s which are close to retirement that have Hi-8 decks for inflight movies because it didn't make financial sense to put "modern" inflight systems in them.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:spergin:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

josh04 posted:

the gopros were always horrible trash but i maintain that the hobbit movies don't make sense without 48fps

same actually. rescued some family memories that would have wasted away with that terrible format. i used a camcorder i bought from an amazon seller and it worked well

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

josh04 posted:

yeeah it's 48fps so they could half it and mush it up a little bit for the 24fps version, which sucks. 120fps would have been better but billy lynn was pushing the boundaries out even for today. still mad i didn't get to see the preview showing of a scene in 120fps/HDR/3D

right but there's no point to that, the 24 fps release i mean. all the digital projection systems already in place could at least handle 30 fps display, film distribution was nearly entirely dead, etc.

Jimmy Carter posted:

I think there's still a couple of 767s which are close to retirement that have Hi-8 decks for inflight movies because it didn't make financial sense to put "modern" inflight systems in them.
yeah they have lovely sub-SD resolution displays in the seatbacks for the system, and they're only connected by lovely composite wiring iirc.

and of course a cheap projector for the wall display of the movie but they rarely use that.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

fishmech posted:

its loving bullshit garbage that the hobbit was shot in 48 fps instead of a proper 60 fps

if you are making your film look like a video game might as well go all the way. make sure to drop frames when it gets really intense.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

fishmech posted:

right but there's no point to that, the 24 fps release i mean. all the digital projection systems already in place could at least handle 30 fps display, film distribution was nearly entirely dead, etc.

there's a lot of grody film types in hollywood who are convinced 24fps is a totally unique, magic frame rate. they're generally people who are pretty unhappy with the advent of digital capture/distribution full stop.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

josh04 posted:

there's a lot of grody film types in hollywood who are convinced 24fps is a totally unique, magic frame rate. they're generally people who are pretty unhappy with the advent of digital capture/distribution full stop.

yeah but peter jackson could have told them to go to hell at that point

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

he's probably one of them

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
ALDS Postseason branding package looks like someone left one of the component video cables unplugged on a plasma TV circa 2006

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

he's probably one of them

wouldn't have done the 48 fps shooting then

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

josh04 posted:

pagancow on collision course, brace brace brace

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

pagancow is an ad guy/gal though

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

pagancow is an ad guy/gal though

definitely a guy

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

cows are girls

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

can I shoot a good movie on a lovely camera?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

paganbull

pagansteer?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BONGHITZ posted:

you can shoot a bad movie on a good camera, same thing right?

known directors sometimes get up to weird projects, visitor q (i'm not calling it "good" but it's competently put together for what it is, and what it is is seriously hosed up) which i mentioned earlier was the result of some sort of bet/stunt between takeshi miike and some other directors where they would make a full-length movie using only a minidv camera and some tiny budget (i heard $3k but i'm not sure if that's right and can't find specifics at work), although this was specifically done when digital film was just getting into affordable territory and largely as an exploration of that

shooting on film back in the day was expensive as gently caress (especially in color but b&w could be pretty pricey too) and was notoriously hard to experiment or do independently because of the costs involved on your recording medium alone

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

BONGHITZ posted:

what's your budget?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

a. about 3 million.

b. I'm Neil breen

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

univbee posted:

shooting on film back in the day was expensive as gently caress (especially in color but b&w could be pretty pricey too) and was notoriously hard to experiment or do independently because of the costs involved on your recording medium alone

this is me being zen and not having flashbacks of all the whiny film students I used to have to deal with that just couldn’t believe they had to shoot their movies on film and that the cameras weren’t just like their dad’s camcorder that they shot their little action/gangster short “films” on when they were 15.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Doc Block posted:

this is me being zen and not having flashbacks of all the whiny film students I used to have to deal with that just couldn’t believe they had to shoot their movies on film and that the cameras weren’t just like their dad’s camcorder that they shot their little action/gangster short “films” on when they were 15.

I, too, believe that cultural production should be the exclusive realm of the wealthy (and those poors with wealthy patrons).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
film looks like poop from a butt and doesn't even have 4ks

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I'm amazed that movies were able to be made in the 20th century

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

there was only ever one hobbit movie made and it's the Rankin/Bass one

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Schadenboner posted:

I, too, believe that cultural production should be the exclusive realm of the wealthy (and those poors with wealthy patrons).

:rolleyes: you’ll never guess what societal class film students overwhelmingly belong to. :ssh:

16mm film wasn’t that expensive, B&W 16mm film was even cheaper (both the film and the processing), Kodak gave film students a discount, and the school had a discount from FotoKem for film processing so the students used the school’s account.

these were dumbass (mostly) rich kids over 15 years ago whose main complaint was that shooting on film was ~too hard~ and why can’t they shoot on video like they did for all the little shorts they made when they were 15, it’s so much easier etc etc etc.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
we're all living on video and film skills are worse than useless hth

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
cool yeah ityool 2017

not so much in 1999/2000. like I said, over 15 years ago.

but go ahead and make a big deal about an offhand remark I made about rich kids not wanting to have to learn anything or put in any effort back in 2000.

“you expect us to shoot on film at a time when even TV shows are still shot on film? :argh:

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Doc Block posted:

cool yeah ityool 2017

not so much in 1999/2000. like I said, over 15 years ago.

but go ahead and make a big deal about an offhand remark I made about rich kids not wanting to have to learn anything or put in any effort back in 2000.

“you expect us to shoot on film at a time when even TV shows are still shot on film? :argh:

learn for the future not the past.

digital video already existed. film's days were already numbered. gently caress lugging around all that film poo poo for a bunch of toy projects which is all they'd ever have been doing in class.

• Locked thread