Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

botany posted:

what the gently caress. i legitimately haven't heard a word about this.

Wow same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Boon posted:

Was it widespread or was it just kind of like the Bernie Bro thing where a small minority drove the narrative? I'm asking because this seems odd and while I don't doubt it, it doesn't strike me as particularly widespread or concerted since I tend to be pretty active in pursuing information just like you guys but am kind of at a loss?

Yes, it didn't get that much traction, especially since Dem Congresspersons sponsored the bill. It was promoted by the Peter Daous and Neera Tandens of the world. It just drew home the point that the idea of resisting Trump should not be used to boycott political proposals and debates, even those that come from non-orthodox places, it should be used to inspire and nurture them.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 11, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Boon posted:

Was it widespread or was it just kind of like the Bernie Bro thing where a small minority drove the narrative? I'm asking because this seems odd and while I don't doubt it, it doesn't strike me as particularly widespread or concerted since I tend to be pretty active in pursuing information just like you guys but am kind of at a loss?

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, it didn't get that much traction, especially since Dem Congresspersons sponsored the bill. It was promoted by the Peter Daous and Neera Tandens of the world.

This, but it was also a bit of a refrain from a few Democratic leaders, like Pelosi, Feinstein, and Klobuchar.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

botany posted:

what the gently caress. i legitimately haven't heard a word about this.

It got posted a while back and I think most of us shrugged and moved on at the fact some guy in North Carolina wanted to start domestic war with a bang.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Boon posted:

it happened with the healthcare debate in this thread too. when bernie was going to debate graham and cassidy, there was a lot of handwringing about he'd focus too much on medicare for all and then make the republicans stronger and then we'd have trumpcare cause of bernie

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

not at all surprising. even calling it terrorism seems to be too much for american media. they all just say "lone wolf!" and move along

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Boon posted:

It was a big point from democrats before bernie's televised debate on healthcare. So yeah a small minority of people.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
"This is a distraction from the real issues" is also the standard attack on the Russia investigation from the left. It's an argument that you can make about literally any issue in politics and it's almost always a perfect example of the false dilemma logical fallacy. It's also closely related to arguments about political capital and the bully pulpit which most people rightly think are full of poo poo.

The better argument against criticizing democrats from the left using the same arguments and language as attacks on democrats from the right is that we shouldn't amplify arguments from the right, even if those arguments are less than utterly false. See: Bill Clinton, rapist or Bernie Sanders, pinko.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

"This is a distraction from the real issues" is also the standard attack on the Russia investigation from the left.

That's because there's very little that discussion on the Russia investigation can achieve, in any concrete sense, at this point. Investigating the Trump Administration on collusion with Russia is Muller's, the intelligence committees', and the IC's job, not ours. Our time is better-spent figuring out what we, as Democrats, leftists, progressives, etc, can do to make the Democrats stronger.

The reason why you, personally, hear "this is a distraction from the real issues" so much, JC, is because you yourself regularly use it as a distraction from real issues. You do not want to have an honest discussion on what needs to happen with the Democratic Party. You've shown that time and time again.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I swear I was not trying to get a dumb leftist to take the bait there, but in hindsight I erred in thinking they'd read the whole post before responding.

I don't really hear "this is a distraction from the real issues" very often but that's probably because it's a more coherent argument than my critics are wont to make.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

I swear I was not trying to get a dumb leftist to take the bait there, but in hindsight I erred in thinking they'd read the whole post before responding.

The entirety of your post doesn't undermine or disprove anything that I wrote.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Majorian posted:

But you keep directing your criticisms at specific people here, without regard for whether or not those criticisms are fair. People like Condiv and Kilroy and steinrokkan might not be as unproductive as you think.

Actually I'm pretty sure I've been making general criticisms and then people jumped in to say #notallleftists

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

Actually I'm pretty sure I've been making general criticisms and then people jumped in to say #notallleftists

Okay, so then when you make posts like this...

Jaxyon posted:

It could be, but it could also be that many leftists would rather criticize to make themselves feel superior rather than acknowledge the grim realities of politics.

I never said that my fellow leftists can't be constructive, I said that there's way more non-constructive vitriol and pretending like that doesn't exist doesn't help anything.

...or this...

Jaxyon posted:

Speaking as a leftist(because otherwise I'll get called a liberal for criticizing leftist):

I see about a 2- or 3-1 ratio of criticizing dems to republicans, and much stronger vitriol.

I've seen a ton of usually white leftists be way way more angry at hillary than Trump, who's an actual white supremacist in office, and then they don't do anything but criticize. Though that's repeating myself, because they're white leftists.

...who, exactly, are you talking about, then? Because it sounds an awful lot like you're criticizing leftists who post here.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Majorian posted:

Okay, so then when you make posts like this...

...or this...

...who, exactly, are you talking about, then? Because it sounds an awful lot like you're criticizing leftists who post here.

Actually none of those posts mention people who post here.

Are you making the argument that the leftists I'm talking about don't exist at all? This sounds a lot like conversations I've had about any other criticism of leftists, like sexism or racism.

"You are attacking all leftists/None of those exist."

And if I remember correctly you and a couple other people got pissy the last time I talked about that too.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Boon posted:

Politico had an article with some blind quotes from dem congresscritters mad that Bernie was supposedly distracting everyone from protecting the ACA

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

Actually none of those posts mention people who post here.

Oh please. Be an adult and own your argument. You wanted to suggest that leftists here only criticize, and don't offer up anything constructive. If you didn't want to condemn leftists here, you wouldn't have painted with as broad a brush, and you would have been specific about the leftists who don't post here who you were criticizing.

e: Here, I'll give you a couple examples: I think Jimmy Dore is a moron. I also think H.A. Goodman is a moron. When I want to criticize these idiots, I name them or their followers. I don't just lump them all together as "leftists."

Majorian fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 12, 2017

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Here's how things went down with DeAndre Harris & the arrest warrant:

https://twitter.com/kt_thomps/status/918217771946831872

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Frijolero posted:

PLEASE STOP

Y'all are giving the GOP more power!! If you don't stop these right-wing talking points the GOP might end up controlling both chambers of Congress and an overwhelming majority of state governments.

This, we, in this dead gay forum, by not just pretending nothing is wrong are giving the GOP even more power.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

JeffersonClay posted:

The young Socrates sighed softly towards his peers and their barbs, and from his lips spoke words that shook the ground and pierced the sky, for not even the mighty Zeus could find fault in his retort:

"In fact, I intentionally covered my face in feces to repel the false wenches, for I am actually really hot"

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Majorian posted:

Oh please. Be an adult and own your argument. You wanted to suggest that leftists here only criticize, and don't offer up anything constructive. If you didn't want to condemn leftists here, you wouldn't have painted with as broad a brush, and you would have been specific about the leftists who don't post here who you were criticizing.

Oh we're doing this thing where I'm not a leftist if I criticize leftists.

While we're at it there are no racists or sexists in leftism that's a liberal construct of the message board to promote hillary disingenuously.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Here's how things went down with DeAndre Harris & the arrest warrant:

https://twitter.com/kt_thomps/status/918217771946831872

these vile nazi shitbags....

i don't even know why the charlottesville police are honoring this loving bogus warrant. why does harris have to remand himself to police custody? why does he have to be loving arrested after he was on the receiving end of a brutal beating. the magistrate who issued the warrant should be disbarred and impeached. the nazi confederates should be embronzed with the melted down remains of that robert e lee statue they love so much

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

jesus loving christ, people

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

R. Guyovich posted:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

R. Guyovich posted:

jesus-loving christpeople

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

R. Guyovich posted:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

R. Guyovich posted:

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

R. Guyovich posted:

jesus loving? christ, people!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

R. Guyovich posted:

:yikes:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Is this the part where I reference a mod to affirm the value of my opinion? Awesome!

R. Guyovich posted:

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
https://twitter.com/dougbrown8/status/918252440448667648
https://twitter.com/NLG_Portland/status/918282474383224832

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016
what the flying gently caress

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

supposedly, it's cause they're using tools to cut protestors off of stuff they've chained themselves to. dunno if that's actually what they're doing, still seems p hosed regardless of reason

https://twitter.com/NLG_Portland/status/918289796400689153

yeah... dunno what dhs is loving up to

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
You can see the homeland security guys also have ear protection on, I think the power tools thing is legit

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Condiv posted:

these vile nazi shitbags....

i don't even know why the charlottesville police are honoring this loving bogus warrant. why does harris have to remand himself to police custody? why does he have to be loving arrested after he was on the receiving end of a brutal beating. the magistrate who issued the warrant should be disbarred and impeached. the nazi confederates should be embronzed with the melted down remains of that robert e lee statue they love so much

I'd love to run a protection agency to protect people who are supposed to be arrested for this bs. Cops come to arrest em,hog tie the police for following an illegal warrant

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/918243249436758018
https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/918243002333761536

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://twitter.com/JesseLehrich/status/918249599613177856
Dems are really good at compromises: Strain Obama's only legacy (the iran deal) to get sanctions on russia that like 5% of americans actually care about and then watch the republicans just not do them.

What we need are more bipartisan solutions people!

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
I want to get pissed off as much as the next person but we need to be mindful of OSHA standards for PPE. Permanent hearing loss is not funny.

Whilst that whole transaction seems kind of hosed, the thought that police are putting PPE on protesters is almost heart warming. Like I have no knowledge of the context but if police were cutting protesters away from the thing they chained themselves to and the Police deployed PPE to do that; that's pretty righteous.

Edit: Im assuming they took the hoods and earmuffs off after this.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 12, 2017

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

The Washington Post posted:

Deaths rise to 23, with hundreds missing, as wildfires scorch California wine country. The killer wildfires that have scorched Northern California remain almost completely uncontained. Officials warned Wednesday that some of the big fires could merge.

Officials with the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (Cal Fire) said they have yet to determine the cause of the fires, which have killed at least 23 people in Napa, Sonoma, Yuba and Mendocino counties.

The conflagrations have led tens of thousands of people to flee their homes. Evacuations continue, including one order Wednesday afternoon covering the entire city of Calistoga in Napa County. About 4,400 are in shelters and will not be able to go home for many days, officials said. The Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office said of the 600 people reported missing, 315 have been located safe. Another 285 are still reported missing, but many may have lost cellphones or Internet access and may not have been able to reach friends or family.

Statewide, 8,000 firefighters are working to contain 22 wildfires that cover 170,000 acres — a collective area larger than the city of Chicago. The worst are in Napa, Sonoma and Mendocino counties, where 4,500 homes and businesses had been burned at last count.

The fire has put a strain on federal resources, too. Coming on the heels of catastrophic hurricanes, the California wildfires in total represent just one of 22 disasters that the Federal Emergency Management Agency is managing across the nation. Eighty-five percent of FEMA’s 9,900 full-time employees are working “in the field,” away from their assigned offices, agency spokesman Mike Cappannari said.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

My hometown.:smith:

My family's house seems to have miraculously been spared, but basically all their neighbors' houses are gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Majorian posted:

My hometown.:smith:

My family's house seems to have miraculously been spared, but basically all their neighbors' houses are gone.

Holy poo poo, Santa Rosa is your home town? I just moved away from there and I'd be homeless right now if I hadn't. Everyone I know has been affected by this, and it is a tragedy. I hope you and your friends and family stay safe and are able to bounce back. You and I spar plenty, but people matter much more than politics.

It's very surreal to see the place I still consider home to be affected this way and I can't help other than a small donation.

• Locked thread