Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

One of my life goals is to be able to drown while standing up in the shower from the shear volume of water assaulting me from every angle. So, what they have there sounds like a start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bad Munki posted:

One of my life goals is to be able to drown while standing up in the shower from the shear volume of water assaulting me from every angle. So, what they have there sounds like a start.

Death to flow restrictors.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yawgmoth posted:

Actually, it looks like it's post-stressed.

:haw:

I see you.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Crosspost from the comic strip megathread

I do some engineering and had a client ring up today and whine about the fact I put piles under his 300m2 monstrosity due to it being on slightly dodgy ground and 'The existing house has been there for 50 years and hasn't settled!' gently caress off.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Who would be mad at that? Is he trying to go as cheap as possible?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Owner doesn't want to spend more money and/or builder is doing a fixed price job for the owner and doesn't want to spend more money.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

Actually, it looks like it's post-stressed.
:haw:
I didn't see it until your post (:haw:), so thank you for explaining the image with a terrible joke.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013

Jaded Burnout posted:

Owner doesn't want to spend more money and/or builder is doing a fixed price job for the owner and doesn't want to spend more money.

The builder told him it was over engineered so that may well be it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
As far as I'm concerned, a little over-engineered is probably engineered just enough and should be over-engineered slightly more.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Robo Captain posted:

The builder told him it was over engineered so that may well be it.

Could also be professional pride on the builder's part. I've stood in the middle of some simultaneously interesting and tedious bouts between the builder, building control officer, and structural engineer where they're all waving their dicks around about who's stepping on each other's balls.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

tetrapyloctomy posted:

As far as I'm concerned, a little over-engineered is probably engineered just enough and should be over-engineered slightly more.

Nothing wrong with building to the lifetime of your materials. At least around here, chances are your house will still be standing in fifty or a hundred years, so build it like you're going to need it that long.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Bad Munki posted:

We have just what you need.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Great, I'll take six.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Chunderbucket posted:

Twenty-foot ceilings. In a bathroom.

When I fart, I want to hear the echo, god drat it!

PainterofCrap posted:

We have just what you need.

Speakman is still around making shower heads. They probably still make that same model too.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

kid sinister posted:

When I fart, I want to hear the echo, god drat it!
There's an echo if you sit on a duck?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Not sure how I feel about this.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'd say the biggest crime there is the half-round trim.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

they already cut out the half circle for the towel rail, might as well put the trim in

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Looks like there's no need for the door to swing into the shower. I think it would be more clever to end the trim an inch from the edge and let it double as a door stop.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

The Twinkie Czar posted:

Looks like there's no need for the door to swing into the shower. I think it would be more clever to end the trim an inch from the edge and let it double as a door stop.

But then it would smack the towel rack.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Who ever laid the tile mosaic sure did a good job.... for their first time.

e: and I wonder how many doors they shattered before getting the cut done...

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Bad Munki posted:

Not sure how I feel about this.
What you should feel is bad, for not linking the gifv version:
https://i.imgur.com/nkJwC1T.gifv

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Maybe while they're getting rid of the half-round trim and replacing the tile mosaic they can add somewhere to keep the shampoo off the floor.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Picturing a little shelf where the trim used to be and a corresponding cutout in the door complete with the outline of the shampoo bottle.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That trim looks nice, but it will collect so much grime and dirt.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Yea, if there's one thing I've learned is try to get for larger and smooth tile for your shower. Trying to clean that poo poo sucks rear end.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

GotLag posted:

What you should feel is bad, for not linking the gifv version:
https://i.imgur.com/nkJwC1T.gifv

Ehh, I was phone posting and couldn't get it to embed otherwise. v:shobon:v

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bad Munki posted:

Ehh, I was phone posting and couldn't get it to embed otherwise. v:shobon:v

In preview gifv never looks like it embeds. The preview lies. When you hit post it will be embedded.

The something awful forums: a crappy construction tale.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Isn't that going to stop me from putting my big oversized fluffy towels on the towel rack?

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

blugu64 posted:

Isn't that going to stop me from putting my big oversized fluffy towels on the towel rack?

The oversized fluffy towels are for guests dear, you know that.

And you need to have friends in the first place to have guests.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Bubblyblubber posted:

The oversized fluffy towels are for guests dear, you know that.

And you need to have friends in the first place to have guests.

We didn't want to tell you, but we just didn't want you to come over, sorry :shobon:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Remember my terrible asphalt job from a few pages back? They came back and "fixed" some bad patches yesterday as well as the fence they broke. They couldn't find the right style blocks for the 2 glass block windows they broke and used the wrong size pickets. I naively paid them after getting them to knock off $200 for the window they couldn't fix. Today I was cleaning the gravel out of the cut they made along my yard so I could put in topsoil and grass seed later, when I discovered that I could pry up this asphalt up with my bare hands. On a day when it wasn't even 80 degrees. Oh, and there's no gravel underneath.

I also discovered why I didn't like realtor/flipper that bought the place next door, the one who hired these yahoos that did our shared driveway. I couldn't put my finger on it then, but this guy gave me the creeps. He's a former chiropractor.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

kid sinister posted:

I naively paid them after getting them to knock off $200...

Ahahahahahahah you what?!?!?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

High Lord Elbow posted:

Ahahahahahahah you what?!?!?

They did my half of the driveway for $2000. They couldn't fix 2 blocks of my glass block basement windows, so I got them to deduct $200. Then I noticed how lovely a job they did for the asphalt and stopped payment of the remaining $1800.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
It's ok dude, gypsies have been bilking people out of reasonable driveways for literally years at this point. Like, you should have known better and all, but at least you're in good company

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Stalizard posted:

It's ok dude, gypsies have been bilking people out of reasonable driveways for literally years at this point. Like, you should have known better and all, but at least you're in good company

Yo unless there's an in-joke here I'm missing this is extremely racist.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Chard posted:

Yo unless there's an in-joke here I'm missing this is extremely racist.

The in-joke is that most Americans don't realize "gypsy" is a slur.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Proud Romany travelers have been ripping people off for years with substandard driveways, is that better?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A few years back there was a lot of concern about devious criminal Irishmen who went round neighbourhoods here and conned home-owners out of money for supposed renovations. Haven't heard about it in a few years though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jerry Cotton posted:

A few years back there was a lot of concern about devious criminal Irishmen who went round neighbourhoods here and conned home-owners out of money for supposed renovations. Haven't heard about it in a few years though.

I'm not racist but I don't think you should hire this man: