Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

dmboogie posted:

it isn't fantastic, but the writing's legit solid esp. if you care at all about poetry or writing

it's a pretty good experience that is free and also only a few hours long; which is almost certainly why it's blowing up

the character art is off in a weird way. the rendering is better than the proportions/anatomy which makes it look very strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Stexils posted:

the character art is off in a weird way. the rendering is better than the proportions/anatomy which makes it look very strange.

won't argue against that but i think the icon versions of the characters you see in the poem screen are still cute

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
male protagonist, no sale

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

FractalSandwich posted:

you aren't quite right

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm just gonna come out with it and say that the game is intentionally playing it up for a good reason. Play to find out.

[quote="“FractalSandwich”" post="“477232558”"]
[/quote]

I had the same reservation, but it works out in the end.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Things seem generally normal at the moment at the start of Doki Doki Literature Club, but there's definitely an undercurrent of...something worrying. All 4 girls seem to have angst going on and it is just being glossed over for now.

Edit: Oh there we go.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 11, 2017

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm pretty close to just starting to read VNs via Remote PC at work, music\voice be damned. I've got a backlog a mile long and it gets worse every time I even look in the direction of the genre. :sigh:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Both RDP and chome remote desktop support sound. Buy some headphones, go wild.

I wish more VNs were fully voiced, they're perfect audiobook material, but usually at least the protag and narrator/inner thoughts things aren't.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Truga posted:

Both RDP and chome remote desktop support sound. Buy some headphones, go wild.

I wish more VNs were fully voiced, they're perfect audiobook material, but usually at least the protag and narrator/inner thoughts things aren't.

I find the sound kinda choppy for my home connection vs my work connection but yeah, I'll never make a dent if I don't.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Slight double post but 1st hour thoughts on Doki Doki Literature Club:

Holy gently caress, Yuri's a god drat murderer isn't she? Monika's being abused by someone. Childhood friend is depressed and hiding it\on meds. Shorty's the only one I haven't pegged yet.

I'm trying to only read this 1 hr a day but that may go out the window here in a very very short while. The prompts about not letting kids under 13 and sensitive people tell me something is very very wrong but figuring it out is driving me nuts in a way breaking it up to read is making a lot worse.

Slight edit: I gave in and read some more. Monika knows she's in a VN. She's dropped references to translation and humans not being two-dimensional. I didn't expect that. If the game keeps playing with me like this, I'm going to end up loving it more than I already do.

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 11, 2017

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Irritated Goat posted:

Slight double post but 1st hour thoughts on Doki Doki Literature Club:

Holy gently caress, Yuri's a god drat murderer isn't she? Monika's being abused by someone. Childhood friend is depressed and hiding it\on meds. Shorty's the only one I haven't pegged yet.

I'm trying to only read this 1 hr a day but that may go out the window here in a very very short while. The prompts about not letting kids under 13 and sensitive people tell me something is very very wrong but figuring it out is driving me nuts in a way breaking it up to read is making a lot worse.

Slight edit: I gave in and read some more. Monika knows she's in a VN. She's dropped references to translation and humans not being two-dimensional. I didn't expect that. If the game keeps playing with me like this, I'm going to end up loving it more than I already do.
Thank you for saying words about the video game instead of expecting everyone to play it on blind faith.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

Thank you for saying words about the video game instead of expecting everyone to play it on blind faith.

i don't think it's unreasonable to be vague when 1. the game is free, 2. it only takes like 45 minutes to get to the weird parts, and 3. talking about the actual premise inherently spoils it for people who wanna be surprised

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I just finished it. That was some real good stuff. I look forward to if the team does more VNs in the future.

I can see people not talking much about certain VNs because there's an emotional punch to going in blind. No one gives two shits if Yumiko has a sad girl route in generic VN but stuff like Fata Morgana, Higurashi, etc do better on a complete blind go rather than seeing discussion. I know jack about Fata Morgana so when I actually get to buy it, I just know I'm in for a good VN that isn't like most others. :shrug: Just how I see it I guess.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
All this talk of DR3 is making me want to finally get into the series. And with holiday season starting up, I'll probably have a lot more down time to plug away at them.

I kind of avoided everything about it knowing that I'd probably play the games at some point. So, with that in mind, what are the common pitfalls to the first game that I can avoid to make the experience a little better?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

FractalSandwich posted:

It has its own thread and the Steam thread has already been bombarded with far too much of it. That and also:

dmboogie posted:

i don't think it's unreasonable to be vague when 1. the game is free, 2. it only takes like 45 minutes to get to the weird parts, and 3. talking about the actual premise inherently spoils it for people who wanna be surprised

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Irritated Goat posted:

I just finished it. That was some real good stuff. I look forward to if the team does more VNs in the future.

Did you see the credits?

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

AlternateNu posted:

All this talk of DR3 is making me want to finally get into the series. And with holiday season starting up, I'll probably have a lot more down time to plug away at them.

I kind of avoided everything about it knowing that I'd probably play the games at some point. So, with that in mind, what are the common pitfalls to the first game that I can avoid to make the experience a little better?

Honestly I don't know if there's any bad stuff you can actively avoid; mostly DR1 is more "basic" than the others, that try to subvert everything that you expect, which is why people go crazy over them. But you only have a "what to expect" after you played the first.
The trials are a lot easier, so there's nothing there to avoid. The relationship mechanics are mostly the same. There's not a lot to do in DR storyline mode other than hang out and have investigations/trials. It's not like in persona where you can make your life harder if you don't do certain s. Links first. Yeah, you'll miss out on certain skills when you don't get to max a character in DR too, but you don't really need Them, and any sort of guide to max relationships in DR is bound to have spoilers in some way.
At most I recommend you follow a non-spoiler present guide and nothing else.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Pollyanna posted:

Did you see the credits?

Yup, heard the ending theme and everything :3: I wasn't sure that was the True End so I went looking around and read "If you saw the credits, you're done".

Did I miss something in the credits?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Irritated Goat posted:

Yup, heard the ending theme and everything :3: I wasn't sure that was the True End so I went looking around and read "If you saw the credits, you're done".

Did I miss something in the credits?

Nope, just checking whether or not you got japed by any of the sanity effects or Monika's fuckery and thought you hit an end that wasn't truly the end! Just a compulsion, I guess.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Meallan posted:

At most I recommend you follow a non-spoiler present guide and nothing else.

Don't even do this because the loving framing image of a "spoiler free present guide" for DR2 was a huge goddamn spoiler. Christ, that was frustrating.

Honestly some of the gifts seemed a little nonsensical but it's not a game where you'll have opportunities to max everyone or even most people. Just try some stuff out and if you max someone and get their skill consider it a bonus.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I will say that some of the free times can get locked out, even if the respective characters don't die, because plot happens. At least for the first game.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I'd say just try DR1 without a guide. There's a post-game mode that will let you see whatever free time events you might miss during your actual playthrough of the game.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'd just meet whichever characters you like most. It's not really a hard enough game that metagaming is required, and you'll inevitably end up soft-spoiling who dies if you do.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Please play DR1 and DR2 blind

These games are stupid easy to get spoiled for.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Double Punctuation posted:

I will say that some of the free times can get locked out, even if the respective characters don't die, because plot happens. At least for the first game.

It happens for every game and I've been a victim to it in every game. But it's impossible to guide someone into maxing relationships without spoiling *something*. So I always just recommend people hang out with whoever they feel like.

As for present guides, honestly they're not necessary, but I usually link them to friends who are playing the game after me. But they require someone who has played to go through them just to check if they're really spoiler free; so it's hard to recommend to someone who hasn't played to Google them.

In fact, if there's some advise you want it's this: do not Google anything. Not a thing. No matter how safe you might think it is.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I was discussing VNs with my brother in law, when my wife (who works at a used media place) asked if I'd heard of something called "Ever17". I told her I'd been looking for a copy for ages, and she said one came in....and sold immediately. :smith:

...any good recommendations for divorce lawyers?

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Wow, that's brutal. I've always wanted to own a physical copy of Ever17 too. I'm surprised it got bought so quickly, but then I guess it's actually kind of rare and valuable.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

you should further illustrate your frustration by crushing a chicken sandwich in your hand

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Don't invite your wife to kick the can sessions anymore.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Naturally she knows the collectibles.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sea Sponge Run posted:

you should further illustrate your frustration by crushing a chicken sandwich in your hand

And kick a can in her general direction.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Oh hey, VN thread. My favorite of all time is the Muv Luv trilogy. My favorite recent one is Fata Morgana. I've read and enjoyed:

-Steins;Gate
-FSN
-G-Senjou
-DDLC

I tend to like stories with protagonists that experience decent character growth and stories that feature cool plot twists and a healthy dose of despair.

Couldn't get into Umineko (got all the way to chapter 4, it just didn't hook me) but I did enjoy the Higurashi anime, so I guess I gravitate more towards horror than mystery.

Recommendations?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Barent posted:

Oh hey, VN thread. My favorite of all time is the Muv Luv trilogy. My favorite recent one is Fata Morgana. I've read and enjoyed:

-Steins;Gate
-FSN
-G-Senjou
-DDLC

I tend to like stories with protagonists that experience decent character growth and stories that feature cool plot twists and a healthy dose of despair.

Couldn't get into Umineko (got all the way to chapter 4, it just didn't hook me) but I did enjoy the Higurashi anime, so I guess I gravitate more towards horror than mystery.

Recommendations?

For a pure VN: Dies Irae, since you've enjoyed Muv Luv and Fate/Stay

For game/VN hybrids, there is Zero Escape and Danganronpa.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.

MegaZeroX posted:

For a pure VN: Dies Irae, since you've enjoyed Muv Luv and Fate/Stay

For game/VN hybrids, there is Zero Escape and Danganronpa.

Ok cool, these are the ones i've been looking at. They're all on steam correct? What about Vita?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh I don't think it got mentioned here, but speaking of FSN, Fate/hollow ataraxia not only got translated a while back but also got an All-Ages/Voiced patch if you hunt around a bit (I think I saw it on Beast's Lair).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So this is a little old now but I was just looking at Idea Factory's website and they just posted it about a week ago. It's an interview with the localization team of Hakuoki Kyoto Winds. It's It's an interesting read but I mainly looked at it for some confirmation that they were localizing the second half. Sure enough:

http://operationrainfall.com/2017/10/05/interview-hakuoki-kyoto-winds-localization/
[b]NN: We listen to both sides’ opinions and we are taking measures to improve on areas where we could so the fanbase has an even better experience with the second half of this game. I can’t wait for you guys to get your hands on it. I literally just finished translating it before I started answering these interview questions and I have all the feels. Looking forward to hearing my otomes giving me their feedback on which scenes they loved the most.

I remember when I first got KW someone said they had already confirmed Part 2 was coming Westward ut I couldn't find any links or sources on that. So this makes me very happy. I've been thinking I'll start up KW again and go for a few more scenarios.

I stopped after Sanan and Saito because I just can't do what a fellow poste rin here did and play through every last scenario. I feel like that robs the story of its power, you know? I actually played through the game three times 'cuz I got a Bad Ending the first time but it's like, you will be seeing so much of the same stuff that you naturally skip through it for the new content. But by doing that, you're basically blazing through a lot of the story and missing out on atmosphere. To each their own but for me, I just couldn't stand the idea of playing through every scenario immediately because I'd be "dulled" to most of the story and events due to seeing it so frequently and skipping passed it.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Is there anything similar to Kindred Spirits (PC)?

I liked how wholesome/positive (for the most part) it was, with Yuna as an indisputable force for good even while dealing with her own issues. I know there are things like The Nonary Games (which I have played and liked) and Steins;Gate (bounced hard from it, probably because trying to read a VN on a TV wasn't for me) but I'm looking for good wholesome fluff, not mystery right now.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Barent posted:

Ok cool, these are the ones i've been looking at. They're all on steam correct? What about Vita?

Yes, they are all on Steam.

All of Danganronpas are on Vita, and all of the Zero Escapes are as well. The Vita version for Dies Irae will hypothetically eventually exist, but that has to wait until whenever they fulfill on that goal (VN kickstarters are bad at that).

For the Zero Escape games, make sure you get the "Nonary games" version of the first two games. Make sure you play on novel mode in 999, as you will miss out otherwise.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

gmq posted:

Is there anything similar to Kindred Spirits (PC)?

I liked how wholesome/positive (for the most part) it was, with Yuna as an indisputable force for good even while dealing with her own issues. I know there are things like The Nonary Games (which I have played and liked) and Steins;Gate (bounced hard from it, probably because trying to read a VN on a TV wasn't for me) but I'm looking for good wholesome fluff, not mystery right now.

The answer is sadly no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

The answer is sadly no
Why not? Serious question. This thread is my pretty much my only point of contact with the VN subset of the game dev community, so I don't know what problems people run into when they try to make them. Imagine I were to say, right now, "I'm going to make a female-led and possibly very gay friendship drama. I can handle everything on the production and technical sides, so I just need to find some creative types who want to work on something like that." Would I flat-out not be able to find anyone to collaborate with?