Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

CopywrightMMXI posted:

A Nightmare on Elm Street IV (1988)

I really liked part 3, but this one was a pretty big step back. The plot if fine, and the effects are great, but it just doesn't seem to bring anything new to the table. It doesn't help that they weren't able to retain most of the cast from the previous movie. Freddy's a little more wise-cracking this time around, and that really deflates a lot of the horror that can be drawn from the character. I do like some scenes, but it's clear that they were just pumping these out as quickly as possible at this point. I was planning on watching part 5 this year but I don't think I'll bother.

if it helps at all, 5 is definitely the low bar for the whole series, and I think had the most MPAA cuts as well. The plot doesn't make a huge amount of sense, and kinda undoes everything that happened in the end of part 4. At the same time I wouldn't say skip it, just only watch it for the crazy/cartoony kill scenes. SUPER FREDDY!!.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

4 and 5 are definitely the low points for me as they just start abandoning continuity while throwing in their own massively big continuity changes all in the name of more wacky Freddy deaths. Which is fine. Freddy can be fun that way. But it gets to a point where trying to care about the story or characters feels like a giant waste of time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

4 and 5 are definitely the low points for me as they just start abandoning continuity while throwing in their own massively big continuity changes all in the name of more wacky Freddy deaths. Which is fine. Freddy can be fun that way. But it gets to a point where trying to care about the story or characters feels like a giant waste of time.

It's what makes what Craven did with New Nightmare so impressive. He saw that the world of NOES that Freddy had been a part of up to that point had been watered down to the point that it couldn't possibly be scary anymore, and so he figured out a way to literally take Freddy out of that world and place him in a brand new one. The lazy, uninspired way to do that of course is a reboot, but we saw how that went.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

October 11 - The Witches

I'm just a little too old to have this movie be a childhood staple which is why I had never seen it before. But I wanted something light this evening and it felt like a good pick.

A recently orphaned child and his sick grandmother go to a British seaside resort for some rest. Unfortunately for him, the resort is also the site of a convention of witches who have plans to deal with all the children of Britain. They're going to turn them into mice and the boy becomes one of their test subjects.

I can see why this movie would have had a huge impact on kids at the time. It's freaky and weird and scary in all the ways that would delight children. Even as an adult some of the scenes were a bit disturbing (that first kid turning into a mouse, for example). I'm still wondering what happened to that housekeeper who may or may not have been turning into a mouse after she got into the formula.

The adult cast is fantastic, especially Anjelica Huston who must have been entering the "witch roles" phase of her career. The kids... well, the kid playing the lead tries pretty hard but can't really carry all the weight of the film like he has to. He's not bad all the time, but there are moments.

I guess the elephant in the room is that the very ending of this movie is terrible and it feels like the studio demanded a deus ex machina to make sure there was a "happy" ending. If it had ended a minute earlier it would have been fine, but then a fix for everything comes out of literally nowhere.

Still, overall it was a decent movie and definitely one to scar children with.

Basebf555 posted:

It's what makes what Craven did with New Nightmare so impressive. He saw that the world of NOES that Freddy had been a part of up to that point had been watered down to the point that it couldn't possibly be scary anymore, and so he figured out a way to literally take Freddy out of that world and place him in a brand new one. The lazy, uninspired way to do that of course is a reboot, but we saw how that went.

I know what Craven was trying to do in New Nightmare, but I think he completely failed at it and the film is a clunker. I would have really loved to see Peter Jackson's revamp instead since that would have been fun.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

Yeah, New Nightmare is a favorite of mine i think largely because it manages to really rebound the franchise and give the scary, story stuff a really satisfying and out of the box ending. I didn't even mind Freddy vs Jason since that was just that other Freddy that Wes made a movie to counter.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Choco1980 posted:

if it helps at all, 5 is definitely the low bar for the whole series, and I think had the most MPAA cuts as well. The plot doesn't make a huge amount of sense, and kinda undoes everything that happened in the end of part 4. At the same time I wouldn't say skip it, just only watch it for the crazy/cartoony kill scenes. SUPER FREDDY!!.

Oh I've seen them all before but I'm just not in the mood for more Freddy. Besides, there's plenty of other movies to watch.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

16. The Dark Half-1993: 8/10 (Rewatch)
17. XX-2017: 9/10
18. Deep Rising-1998: 9/10 (Rewatch)
19. The Puppet Masters-1994: 8/10 (Rewatch)
20. The Black Cat-1934: 9/10 (Rewatch)
21. Island of Lost Souls-1932: 9/10 (Rewatch)
22. Piranhaconda-2012: 1/10
23. Candy Stripes-2006: 7/10
24. Little Evil-2017: 9/10
25. The Devil Inside-2012: 8/10 (Rewatch)
26. Boogeyman-2004: 6/10 (Rewatch)
27. House of Usher-1960: 8/10 (Rewatch)
28. The Pit and the Pendulum-1961: 8/10
29. Dracula-1931: 7/10 (Rewatch)
30. Boogeyman 2-2007: 7/10
31. Dracula's Daughter-1936: 8/10 (Rewatch)
32. Dark Signal-2016: 7/10
33. War of the Worls-2005: 10/10 (Rewatch)
34. The Return of Dracula-1958: 6/10 (Rewatch)
35. Witchcraft-1964: 8/10 (Rewatch)
36. Jeepers Creepers-2001: 9/10 (Rewatch)
37. The Deadly Mantis-1957: 7/10
38. The Devil's Candy-2015: 9/10
39. Truth or Dare-2017: 8/10
40. Jeepers Creepers 2-2003: 8/10 (Rewatch)
41. The Frighteners-1997: 10/10 (Rewatch)
42. Boogeyman 3-2008: 4/10

Too lazy to do each one but anything rated 9 or 10 is definitely worth watching if you haven't seen or even if you have, see it again.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

14 (22). Splinter (2008)

A couple out camping get abducted by another couple on the run but all four end up running afoul of a deadly and shocking creature on the road and end up holed up together fighting or each other’s lives.

A solid little creature film. Nothing out of this world or anything but it excels in staying simple. A trapped location, a simple but dangerous and unknown monster, and a few solid characters just doing their best. I don’t know. I don’t have a lot to say on this one. The monster wasn’t anything revolutionary but it was relatively unique, the director does a good job kind of obscuring it, its little mini monsters were creepy as gently caress, and when you do finally get to really see it its pretty ugly. It reminded me a bit of The Thing in that basic sense although I think you could argue it took from a lot of classics like Alien or The Blob or whatever. Maybe none of them. Like I said, it was just a simple little idea without trying to do too much so maybe it just reminds me of other movies that worked in a similar way or with a similar threat because it hit that right, known chord.

And in terms of “body horror” this one had some really effective usage of it for me. Where something like Society just kind of had me staring in shock of it all and something like The Void kind of had me wondering what I was seeing at all… Splinter’s body horror had me cringing and wincing in sympathetic pain. It was simple and not done for super shock value or maximum gore. There was shock and gore but it found the right balance for my tastes.

I guess I had a little to say about it. It was a nice little film but I’m not sure it was much more than that. It is the sort of movie that was good enough in a way that made me curious about the director. Apparently he made a straight to video Grudge 3 a year later and then nothing in almost a decade. Huh. There was a third Grudge? I’m not even sure I knew there was a second one. Nah, of course there was a second one. It was a commercially successful horror film. There’s always a second one of those.

October Tally - New (Total)
- (1). V/H/S (2012) / - (2). V/H/S/2 (2013) / 1 (3). Let Us Prey (2014) / - (4). The Crazies (2010) / 2 (5). The Boy (2016) / 3 (6). Beyond the Gates (2016) / - (7). Child’s Play (1988) / - (8). Jennifer’s Body (2009) / 4 (9). Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension (2015) / - (10). Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988) / 5 (11). The Void (2016) / 6 (12). Nightbreed: The Director’s Cut (1990) / - (13). Grave Encounters (2011) / 7 (14). Grabbers (2012) / 8 (15). Get Out (2017) / 9 (16). Society (1989) / 10 (17). The House of the Devil (2009) / 11 (18). Hell Baby (2013) / 12 (19). Ghostwatch (1992) / 13 (20). Let Me In (2010) / - (21). Child’s Play 2 (1990) / 14 (22). Splinter (2008)

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

#16 Siren (2016)
This was simple, but a lot of fun. It feels a bit amateurish at times, but in a way that adds to the chaos of some guys celebrating a bachelor party at a satanic stripclub and getting in trouble.

#17 Shivers (1975)
This was very rough and while you recognize some of Cronenberg's handiwork it wasn't enough to make it anything more than a messy execution of a decent idea that lacked budget. I hoped for more.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

17. Bad Taste: Starts rough but you quickly get into it and ulttimately find the nonexistent production value endearing. This is how Attack of the Killer Tomatoes should have been made.

Anyway, this does work best when paired with the behind the scenes BBC special. A wind-up camera good for 30 seconds of filming explains a lot. Working around it wound up being a benefit as cheap props, stunts, and effects never had time to become too obvious or outright lame. Prosthetic design was a genuinely good effort, especially for things baked in mum's oven.

Anyway, Bad Taste is an enjoyable gonzo invasion flick even with nothing else taken into consideration. "I'm a Derek and Dereks don't run!"

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 16, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Suspiria
1977, dir. Dario Argento | theaters; 4k Restoration

A classic film and one of the best horror film experiences I've had. Absolutely gorgeous visuals. The sound design is amazing (there was a moment where it felt like someone spoke in my ear from behind, causing me to jerk my head), the soundtrack one of the best in the genre. If you have an opportunity to see the new restoration, do it.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky: / 5

Movies Watched
NEW: I Walked With A Zombie, Dead & Buried, The Mummy ('59), The Resurrected, Critters, Cemetery Man, Roadgames ('81), mother!, Christine, Willow Creek, Castle Freak, Wait Until Dark, Curse of the Mummy's Tomb, The Mummy's Shroud, Blood from the Mummy's Tomb, The Uncanny, Venom
REWATCH: The Return of the Living Dead, Pumpkinhead, Night of the Creeps, Demons, Demon Knight, Suspiria
SHORT FILMS (not counted in goal): Junk Head 1;
TOTAL: 23

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
#22: Antibirth

This one's weird as heck. Blending the nightmarish terror of a child you're not sure you're ready for from Eraserhead, the goopy special effects from Society, and the paranoid lower classes of Repo Man, this film's a unique blend of weirdness. Although you can tell where the director pulls his elements from, it nevertheless feels like a fresh voice, and he makes it his own. As Lou discovers the origin of her pregnancy, the movie ramps up the weirdness and the grossness of the special effects; she pukes, pus leaks from a foot wound, a man's corpse is completely rotted, this film doesn't shy away from ugly things, including the dingy neon lighting and dirty locales. The mystery behind the pregnancy is not rape, but the film leaves this open as a possibility for awhile; it also makes statements about Lou's body and how higher-ups seek to control her body for their own purposes. The film makes a strong stand for the bodily autonomy of women, especially poor women who are marginalized and left out of society. You can tell at some points that it's the director's first attempt at a feature-length movie;the editing in dialogue scenes lacks rhythm, and a lot of the lighting and cinematography fall flat, but it's still a bold, interesting, unique movie.

Completed: Beyond the Black Rainbow, Rabid, The Driller Killer, Phantasm*, Phantasm II, Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead, Phantasm IV: Oblivion, Phantasm V: Ravager, The Prowler, The House of the Devil, From Beyond, Gremlins 2: The New Batch, Apt Pupil, Wait Until Dark, Gerald's Game, Hell House LLC, Black Swan*, Happy Birthday To Me, Pieces, Trollhunter, As Above So Below, The Devil's Candy, Antibirth

*denotes rewatches

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
#36. Dr. Giggles (1992)

Our titular character is an asylum escapee who thinks he's a doctor and goes around killing people with medical instruments, sometimes comically oversized and spouting off bad one liners that are doctor themed. He becomes obsessed with a local girl who has a heart condition because it reminds him of his late mother. So he starts stalking her to give her a transplant.

You know, I'm honestly surprised it took me this long to see this one, considering its notoriety. I'd say it's probably the zenith of the cartoony slashers of the late 80s and early 90s, with all its stupid humor, and the lack of a real motive, not to mention it seeming to hit like, every single trope that Scream would make fun of just a few years later. I don't say all this to make it sound like a bad thing, as I quite love it. If a dumb 80s/90s horror movie is what you're looking for, look no further, this will scratch your itch.

I give Doctor Giggles :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: out of Five

#37. Circuitry Man (1990)

It's the future, where pollution has become so widespread that cities move underground. Lori is a bodyguard, trying to get out of the business and become a dress designer. She gets roped into one last job--protecting a mob boss, Juice, during a deal to sell some contraband microchips to another boss, a man with electronic plugs covering his scalp, who will in turn take them to a buyer across the country in New York. Only the cops show up and things turn sour. Which leaves Lori's boss dead, and her with the chips and on the run from Plughead and his goons. She ends up recruiting a synthetic man programmed for love to drive her the distance to sell the chips herself, leading to a road trip adventure.

I expected this to be a lot more horror style than it is, mostly from having seen clips of the sequel, which I think has little to do with this one besides the character of Plughead. This is more a sci fi road trip movie, and not a particularly bad one either. It actually goes quite a ways into trying to make a believable cyberpunk world, and I admire it for that. On the other hand, a lot of the plot is predictable, and far too much of the action happens off-camera, belying its cheap roots. Also, the cover art, which stared off the shelves of untold video stores back in the day, does almost nothing to tell you about the tone or point of the movie, which definitely hurt it, I'm sure.

I give Circuitry Man :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: out of Five

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

19. Trick R Treat (2007)

I've seen this twice this season and I'm not complaining a bit. I'm a sucker for the atmosphere and how the stories all weave together. This is another one of those movies I can break out for friends who may not totally love horror but want to watch something festive during the Halloween season. Hell, I might end up seeing this one more time before the month is out.

20. Near Dark (1987)

Now I'm not sure how this slipped past me until literally this year but I'm so happy I've finally seen it. Which it was a real pain to track down. This is officially up there with The Lost Boys as a favorite vampire flick, even though I don't think they ever use the word in the movie. Bill Paxton is just a treat as always and I'm not sure anyone could have been better in his role. This is so far my favorite thing I've watched for my personal marathon.

21. Boys In The Trees (2016)

Saw this browsing Netflix and the trailer was intriguing. I'll say upfront that this was a lot less horror than I expected but it does take place on Halloween night and have a lot of horror themes so I didn't feel lied to, the drama elements were more dominant though. All that out of the way, I really really enjoyed watching this. It was tragic, sweet, nostalgic (takes place in 1997), has lots of Halloween atmosphere, and the actors do great work with some decent chemistry between the characters. Despite Netflix toying with my expectations this was solid and one of the better low budget films I've seen in a while. I really recommend this one.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 12, 2017

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

TheKingslayer posted:

20. Near Dark (1987)

Now I'm not sure how this slipped past me until literally this year but I'm so happy I've finally seen it. Which it was a real pain to track down. This is officially up there with The Lost Boys as a favorite vampire flick, even though I don't think they ever use the word in the movie. Bill Paxton is just a treat as always and I'm not sure anyone could have been better in his role. This is so far my favorite thing I've watched for my personal marathon.

The only thing I dislike about that movie is the incredibly dumb cure for vampirism, lol complete blood transfusion, easy peasy

Other than that, it rules.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

For some reason this series eluded me as a kid, I've never seen a single one of them. They must have been on cable at some point? I dunno but I was always aware of them because of how unafraid they always were to just put the monster right there on the cover for all to see(which is why I chose this particular poster, its very different from all the others). Definitely walked by them many times at the video store.

It's a great visual design for a creature, but I think part of the reason they make for such a fun poster is that they work a lot better in still photos than they do when they're actually doing their thing in the film.

The Critters just don't move well enough to be at all threatening, I'm not sure they'd have scared me even as a kid. And I can see that they are intended to be funny as well(I love that they can roll around like tumbleweed), but the best creature features manage a balance of both.

The unsung heroes of the movie are the two bounty hunters who come to take care of the Critter problem. They're bizarre and hilarious characters, and their team-up with the main character is probably the coolest part of the film. Others in this thread can let me know if any of the sequels stand out amongst the rest, because I'm not exactly running to check them out unless there's a compelling reason to.

Grabbed this for $7 at Best Buy on my way home from work yesterday. It's always a fun watch, lots of bright colors everywhere and it has a real mean streak that is a great combination with how ridiculous the clowns are. As strange as it might be for such a low-budget B-movie, the big draw is really the production design. The sets and the props never stop being fun and interesting to look at, I especially love the look of the clowns ship, both inside and outside.

One more night before Friday the 13th, which will be my unofficial start to the final run of all-time favorites that I watch every year.

Completed:1.The Wicker Man, 2. Deadly Blessing, 3. Night Creatures, 4.Shock Waves, 5.Slugs, 6.Venom, 7.Maximum Overdrive, 8.Christine, 9.The Tingler, 10.The Masque of the Red Death, 11.The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, 12.The Funhouse, 13.Poltergeist, 14.Lifeforce, 15.Invaders From Mars, 16.The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, 17.The Seventh Curse, 18.The Mummy, 19.Curse of the Mummy's Tomb, 20.Hellraiser, 21.Hellbound: Hellraiser II, 22.Child's Play, 23.Cult of Chucky, 24.Leviathan, 25.Pumpkinhead, 26.Phantasm, 27.Murders in the Rue Morgue, 28.The Abominable Dr. Phibes, 29.The Devil's Candy, 30.The Visitor, 31.Prince of Darkness, 32.Critters, 33.Killer Klowns From Outer Space

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 12, 2017

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Bruteman posted:

The only thing I dislike about that movie is the incredibly dumb cure for vampirism, lol complete blood transfusion, easy peasy

Other than that, it rules.

Yeah that actually confused the hell out of me at first because it wasn't made too obvious.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

You should have made this a triple feature with Ernest Scared Stupid, since the creature design team was the same for each of them. Especially since they just re-used some of the clown designs for trolls with new paint. (I assume that's why you did this double feature.)

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
16. A Dark Song (2016)
A woman hires an occultist to perform a complicated ritual. They do a great job of instilling the ritual with a definite weight and substance, which helps create a general tense paranoia about what might happen and what is happening. Like a lot of the genre the ending kind of falls flat.
:spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

17. Dr. Giggles (1992)
Good lord this movie is punny. I don't think the titular Dr. Giggles utters a single line that wasn't some sort of play on the medical profession. Other than the puns it felt like an exceedingly generic slasher.

There were two main story points worth noting, otherwise it is a very, very formulaic slasher. The boyfriend character cheats on the final girl, which...seemed like an odd choice. The way the villain survives the initial attack that drives his vengeance is fully insane and completely impossible but worth seeing.
:spooky::spooky:/5

18. House II: The Second Story (1987)
Not really horror at all, and completely unconnected from the first film. (WAIT: both take place in a house!) This movie has the best subtitle of just about any movie ever made and...that's kind of the only thing going for it.

This guy moves into an inherited house, and digs up his undead great grandfather, and there's a crystal skull for some reason, and a caveman and a few alternate dimensions and an old girlfriend and just a giant pile of what the hell is going on.
:spooky:/5

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

You should have made this a triple feature with Ernest Scared Stupid, since the creature design team was the same for each of them. Especially since they just re-used some of the clown designs for trolls with new paint. (I assume that's why you did this double feature.)

Wow, actually no I had no idea. I just thought the creatures in both had a similar feel but I really didn't realize they were done by the same people.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

9. Purge: Election Year

Most recent film in the Purge series. One day a year is declared purge day where regular laws are suspended and people are allowed to commit basically any crime they want (which ends up basically being just murder, apparently). In Election Year, the rule that made high-level government personnel immune to the purge is suspended to allow the ruling party the chance to kill off a political opponent who's gaining support and is anti-purge.

The first Purge movie worked ok as a home invasion movie. The next two have almost felt more like action movies than horror (including this one). The idea behind them seems ripe for a bit deeper exploration, and I'd like to see it given a bit more intellectual treatment (I could see a mini-series or something similar dealing with the idea and the fallout) but that's not what this movie's really all about. Most of what passes for social commentary is ham-fisted, clumsy, and/or not really developed at all. And the characters really have little depth, so you're not too invested in seeing if they even make it through the night. It moves along briskly enough, but I couldn't help but think that I wish someone had done something more with the idea of the purge (and since it's not really happened over three movies, I don't expect it to)

2/5

10. The Phoenix Tapes '97

One of three(!) found footage movies about an incident of mysterious lights that appeared in the Arizona desert. This one is about a group of friends who are headed into the outskirts of Phoenix on a fishing trip. On the way, they see mysterious lights in the sky and as they travel, strange things start happening.

As a found footage movie, it works pretty well. Everything is shot fairly "authentic", and you don't have many (if any) situations where you're wondering who's filming and/or why they're still filming. However the pacing suffers a bit with long lulls before anything happens, and between strange occurrences once stuff starts happening. And while the main performances are realistic enough, there's not really enough character development to make you really care what happens to these dudes. They all kinda seem to be a generic, slightly unlikeable "bro"-y dude. It feels like a film that could've used more of...pretty much everything. More character development, more actual spooky stuff, etc. Even for found footage fans I'm not sure I could really recommend this, although it's fairly inoffensive.

2/5

Total: 10 (7 new)
2 Jennifer [1.5/5] Gifts From Strangers [3.5/5] The Alchemist's Cookbook [4/5] Roadgames [3/5] The Gateway [3.5/5] The Thing [10/5] Phantasm II [3.5/5] Gerald's Game [2.5/5] Purge: Election Year [2/5] The Phoenix Tapes '97 [2/5]

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Which one is the good Phoenix incident movie, I'll watch it. Maybe the bad ones should too

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

18. Cooties: It was okay. Best as background as you do other things.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 16, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Movie #15: Contagion

I wasn't originally planning to include this rewatch in my list, but I'm going to because this movie is scarier than most of what I've watched so far. It's clinical and procedural, which it uses to ground its scares. Jennifer Ehle dispassionately describing the virus is punctuated with Laurence Fishburne's apocalyptic asides. You go from shots of people going about their jobs to a corpse lying on the ground.

Also, it's fantastically edited and manages to make a lot of fairly dry activity interesting and propulsive. A good movie.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I don't need a prize or anything I decided to do 31 movies in 31 days before I knew this thread existed.

I'm one behind but here is what I've seen so far:

Creep-8/10
More funny than scary but a perfect ending imo. Excited to see the 2nd one.

It Follows-6.5/10
Been wanting to catch this one for awhile. It was alright, definitely gave me a Halloween vibe. I don't think the guy following them at the end was "It" because he's looking around instead of being singularly focused

Zombie's Halloween-6/10
I'd seen this one before and it was exactly as I remembered. The Prequel section is awesome and when the "remake" starts it can't hold a candle to the original

The Ring-7/10
Again, had seen this in theatres and always enjoyed it. Hasn't aged so well due to the plot being dependent on having to watch a VHS tape. Naomi Watts is a good looking lady.

Friday the 13th-8/10
I don't think I'd seen this all the way through before. Kevin Bacon's death startled me a bit actually. I imagine this move was terrifying in the theatres in 1980.

Friday the 13th Parts 4,5,6,7-6 or 7 out of 10 respectively.
Exactly what you'd expect from F13 movies. Camp Counselors boning and dying. Personally enjoy 5 the best oddly enough.

Friday the 13th Part 3-3/10
Didn't realize it was suppose to be in 3D but really this was a slog to get through. Acting is as bad as I've seen, nobody worth caring about dies until well over an hour in. Shelly.

Just doing the F13 series cause as much as I love horror movies I'd never seen them (or the Hell Raisers) and I've gotten addicted to the game.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Curse and Cult of Chucky

These are much better than they should be. Cult kinda goes a little gonzo for my tastes, reveling in its fanservice, but the fact that not only are these the DTV 6th and 7th installments of a Killer Doll movie from 1988, but are entertaining movies is really impressive.

Movies Watched: (19) Midnight Meat Train, IT, Nightmare on Elm Street (2010), Saw 7, Phantasm, Demons, Rockula, House of the Devil, 31, Deathrow Gameshow, Nine Miles Down, The Carrier, Halloween (1978), Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama, Nightbreed, Pumpkinhead, What we do in the shadows, Curse of Chucky, Cult of Chucky

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bruteman posted:

That's taken directly from Dracula.

20: The Fearless Vampire Killers (1966)

Amazingly I hadn't actually seen this before. It hasn't aged well at all, and it doesn't really help to know that this movie is where Sharon Tate met Roman Polanski.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’m definitely on the same Chucky craze everyone else seems to be and today was Child’s Play 3, hardly my favorite. I see once again the toy company has made the questionable decision to keep making their dolls connected to a series of high profile satanic murders and disturbed kids. That’s smart. And Andy’s been sent to boarding school because of all the murders so I guess his mom is still hosed. You know, on some level the Child’s Play movies are a biting commentary on our system. Capitalism with no sense or morals. Cops who throw a single mother and child to the wolves to protect the blue line. A mental health system them keeps a sane woman locked up and away from her child because of one totally real “delusion.” A kid who get shuffled around places and ultimately discarded in a military school of delinquents. And Chucky finds a new victim of the system in Tyler - the african american kid tossed into a southern military school with delinquents twice his age and no peers. I think I even saw Confederate reenactors. Anyway, the setting sucks, Tyler is lame (but I don’t blame him, he’s clearly the victim of some really awful parenting), and new Andy is a poor “adult companion.” I wonder what happened to Kyle after all the murders and mayhem. Given everyone else’s fate it can’t have been good. Chucky’s now shifting into “the Freddy Zone” but the movie hasn’t caught up to him which makes for a weird deal where they seem to be trying to make a serious horror but Chucky is basically mocking it. The weird part is that not only is Chucky transitioning into the character he’s known for but the effects on him have improved to the point where he's now this pretty kick rear end robot and not some puppet with a short person body double. But all the effort was probably spent on him and none on a story. I don’t know. It sucks. I just want to get to the Chucky films I haven’t seen.

Oh, and maybe we shouldn’t give a military high school with apparently limited adult supervision access to live weapons and grenades. And why did the amusement park grim reaper have an ACTUAL blade on his scythe? What the gently caress? I’m telling you, there’s someone yearning for reform behind the Child’s Play movies. I mean the end of the movie is Andy being loaded into a police car saying “I’ve been here before.”. There’s a “Fight the Power” subtext in here somewhere.

15 (24). Apollo 18 (2011)

The recovered footage of a classified lunar mission that went wrong when the astronauts discovered they weren’t alone on the moon.

Ultimately this is probably a movie that is hurt by the found footage format, or at least the found footage formula. It spends too much time in the first half trying to be Paranormal Activity or Blair Witch and set up tension and fear with small noises and movements. It doesn’t work. Nothing is big enough and there’s almost an aspect where the idea of being on the moon is already perilous and chaotic enough that “strange noise” or “strange movement that only gets scene by the audience” just doesn’t register. Our two astronauts aren’t spooked for a long time and then they’re just concerned there’s some kind of Cold War military conspiracy in play. There’s an interesting story in here and thinks pick up in the second half when the moon rock spiders show up but ultimately this one would have probably benefited more by being a full creature feature instead of a slow build tension piece.

Its a bit of a disappointment since I had wanted to see it for a few years and the setting really appealed to me as something unique. And really, I did like the designs, the acting jobs, and elements of it. It just never really came together. But it avoids the “boring” category for me because just as I started to really get bored with things they picked up and kept me involved till the end.

October Tally - New (Total)
- (1). V/H/S (2012) / - (2). V/H/S/2 (2013) / 1 (3). Let Us Prey (2014) / - (4). The Crazies (2010) / 2 (5). The Boy (2016) / 3 (6). Beyond the Gates (2016) / - (7). Child’s Play (1988) / - (8). Jennifer’s Body (2009) / 4 (9). Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension (2015) / - (10). Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988) / 5 (11). The Void (2016) / 6 (12). Nightbreed: The Director’s Cut (1990) / - (13). Grave Encounters (2011) / 7 (14). Grabbers (2012) / 8 (15). Get Out (2017) / 9 (16). Society (1989) / 10 (17). The House of the Devil (2009) / 11 (18). Hell Baby (2013) / 12 (19). Ghostwatch (1992) / 13 (20). Let Me In (2010) / - (21). Child’s Play 2 (1990) / 14 (22). Splinter (2008) / - (23). Child’s Play 3 (1991) / 15 (24). Apollo 18 (2011) /

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

The unsung heroes of the movie are the two bounty hunters who come to take care of the Critter problem. They're bizarre and hilarious characters, and their team-up with the main character is probably the coolest part of the film. Others in this thread can let me know if any of the sequels stand out amongst the rest, because I'm not exactly running to check them out unless there's a compelling reason to.

Watch Critters 2 as soon as you can, especially if you want to see more of the bounty hunters kicking rear end and teaming up with Brad & Charlie. It's funnier, weirder, gorier, larger in scope and generally more memorable than the first. It's one of my top 10 horror movies ever.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Critters 2 is the one that always stuck in my memory. Its kind of where they find their sweet spot of horror and comedy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh yea? Ok I'll definitely do that then, but tomorrow is Friday the 13th so...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I'm going off memory since i haven't seem them in awhile but its definitely the one I remember most enjoying and rewatching, and it basically does away with the family and focuses on a grown Brad, Charlie, and the bounty hunters. The Critters also are more mobile (if I remember correctly) and develop some tricks to become more menacing. Its also written by and the first movie directed by Mick Garris, for whatever that may or may not be worth to you.

But yeah, tomorrow like so many of you I'm planning to throw myself into Jason. Which should be interesting because unlike so many of you I actually don't know if I've ever seen any Friday the 13th movies. I mean, I'm sure I HAVE to have but the only ones I actually remember are Jason X and Freddy vs Jason.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

October 12 - The ABCs of Death

I remember a few years ago when it seemed like every other person doing the horror movie challenge was watching this. And since they were generally going, "Ugh, this is poo poo," I didn't bother joining their ranks. But here I am, needing something I don't really care to dedicate my full attention to and it was available, so what the hell.

26 international film makers got assigned a letter and each made a short film about a word starting with that letter.

I'm not going to talk about all 26 segments because that would be really stupid. Instead let me go on with trends: these were really bland segments. Most of them are something like a first draft, immediate response to the chosen word. Too many of them go on for far too long which given that the average is a bit under five minutes is saying something. And there's a lot of "this segment has been going on too long so... everybody now dies, I guess." These are the ideas that should have been brought up, and then thrown out when the brainstorming went on and a better concept came up. There's also way too much filmmakers deciding to put their fetish on display.

In conclusion: what the gently caress, Japan!?

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Made time for a horror musical triple feature last night out of Little Shop of Horrors, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, & Cannibal! The Musical. Little Shop of Horrors is just a blast through and through, with a ton of fun '50's style musical numbers courtesy Alan Menken and Howard Ashman, and to this day still absolutely mesmerizing puppetry on Audrey II (not least of all during the Director's Cut ending). Sweeney Todd structurally feels the most like a traditional musical of the bunch with more of the dialog sung than not and crafts it's bleak, industrialist world through strong set/costume design and copious use of greyscale and sepia colour palettes, and is used to mirror Sweeney's downfall from a decent man turned monster through his embitterment and thirst for revenge. Cannibal! The Musical is an early independent student film from Matt Stone and Trey Parker, steeped in B-movie trappings and laying the seeds for Parker's songwriting ability that would come to prominence in later projects. Though lacking in some of the polish in present in their later works, it's a film that I still have a real soft spot for and find absolutely hilarious regardless.

Movies Watched (14): It, Werewolf (MST3K), Army of Darkness, Frankenweenie, Corpse Bride, Paranorman, Coraline, The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Shining, Room 237, Teenagers from Outer Space (MST3K), Little Shop of Horrors, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, Cannibal! The Musical

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
1)Ghostwatch
2)Willow Creek
3)Mother!
4)Q
5)Vampyros Lesbos
6)Saw the final chapter
7)Trilogy of Terror
8)train to busan
9)The living Skeleton
10)Light’s Out
11)Gerald’s Game
12)31
13)The Monster

14)Little Evil

It's no Tucker & Dale vs evil, but not a bad watch either

:devil::devil::devil:/5

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Since Dr. Giggles is being brought up, I will now share an anecdote where Jay Bauman once witnessed a woman burst into a video rental store, completely out of breath, and ask in a panicked tone "Do you have a copy of Dr. Giggles 2?"

The only thing that makes sense is that she saw the movie's generic sequel bait jump scare at the end and ran all the way to the video store, because she NEEDED TO KNOW.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I used to see ads for Dr. Giggles in comic books all the time and I’ve always wanted to see it based on those ads alone.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

31. The Similars - A random Netflix pick, because I don't do that very often. This is basically an episode of the The Twilight Zone that turns out to secretly be a different episode halfway through. Or maybe it's a full three episodes mashed together? There's some ambiguity since none of the characters who talk about it are really in a position to know, and you could read the closing narration either way. It's kind of clumsy and I don't think it's really going to scare anyone, but there's a fairly strong focus on the unnatural rainstorm that leads our cast all to seek shelter in this bus station and I am always in the market for horror that pays real attention to rain so I'm inclined to forgive a lot of sins here. It's also pretty weird in implementation even if the broad strokes of the story feel too familiar, and weird is like halfway to good.

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?
So I'm behind in posting in here, but I'm doing the full 31, all new to me, and started on the first of the month. Here's what I've watched so far:

Flatliners - The original version, this is a solid film carried by some strong performances from an impressive cast of young stars. I really enjoyed the sort of neo-gothic atmosphere, although the resolution felt a bit hokey to me.

Phantasm 3 - I decided that this would be the October when I polished off this franchise. This one picks up right where number two leaves off, with Reggie and Mike getting ambushed by the tall man. Shortly thereafter, Mike is abducted by the tall man and Reggie sets off in a search for him that will last the rest of the series.

This film marks a long decline in quality for the series, as Coscarelli's ambitions for the film never line up with his budgets, and the performances from the supporting casts get more and more wooden.

Phantasm 4 - The decline in quality in this one definitely line up with an obvious drop in the budget, as the settings switch from old colossal mausoleums to barren desert landscapes. Reggie continues his search for Mike through the American west, as Mike pursues the tall man, while feeling the effects of what the tall man did to him at the end of the last film.

Bringing time travel and interdimensional travel into the story may have seemed like a good idea at the time, adding back story to the story of the tall man was not a good idea, although incorporating the unused footage from the first film was an interesting idea and used fairly effectively.

Phantasm 5 - The Phantasm series comes to its muddled, incomprehensible end as Reggie drifts back and forth between realities. In one, he continues his search for Mike, while under assault by the tall man's forces at every turn. In the other, Reggie is in a medical facility where Mike is visiting him as early onset dementia is bringing about a rapid decline in Reggie'a health.

Now let me be clear, this is not a good movie. That being said, it does have a certain charm to it, as this series was clearly a passion project for all involved. It's kind of remarkable that these guys kept coming back to this property for all these years, even though the money was clearly getting harder and harder to come by. It's nice that at least they were able to reach some kind of conclusion before Angus Scrimm passed away.

Dark Water - An American remake of a Japanese film starring Jennifer Connelly as a mother going through a divorce who moves into a new apartment with her daughter on Roosevelt Island that has some strange water issues. This was a really effective and sad little ghost story that I really enjoyed.

Lights Out - Based on a short film of the same name, this one was a bit of a one trick pony, and the trick was only so-so to begin with. Also, that ending is... something.

Stir of Echoes - A late nineties film starring Kevin Bacon as a Utility worker in Chicago who can suddenly see ghosts after being hypnotized at a party by his sister-in-law. He suddenly finds himself trying to solve the mystery of a young girls disappearance from the neighborhood. Also, it turns out his son can see ghosts too, which is amusing given that this was released one month after The Sixth Sense came out. The film is carried by a strong performance from Bacon and while nothing special was still fairly enjoyable.

The Void - A small town sheriff comes across an injured man on the side of the road and rushes him to the nearest emergency room, where his estranged wife is working. When a nurse goes mad and kills a patient, a collection of hooded cultists appear outside and trap everyone inside, as things get crazier and crazier inside. This one got mixed reviews in the horror thread, but I really enjoyed it. It was a tense film with some good practical effects, even if it does crib it's ending from the Beyond.

The Church - Originally intended to be the third entry in the Demons franchise, the film is set in the titular church, an ancient gothic cathedral built atop the site of a massacre of a village suspected of being host to a demonic plague. Centuries later, the newly hired librarian for the cathedral unleashes the plague, setting in motion a defense mechanism meant to contain the plague which traps several groups of tourists inside as all hell breaks loose. Definitely a worthy successor to the first two Demons films, even if Soavi wanted it to be its own thing.

The Blackcoat's Daughter - A good slow burn following the story of two teenage girls stuck at a boarding school during break when their parents don't arrive to take them home. Meanwhile, the film cuts to a young woman at a bus station who appears to be in some kind of trouble. She's offered a ride by a seemingly well-intentioned middle aged man and his wife, and we the watch as the two stories intersect. It's a slow moving film but does a good job of building an atmosphere of dread as it arrives at its conclusion.

Hell House, LLC - A well executed take on the found footage genre with a clever framing device, this film is set up as documentary about a mysterious mass killing at a Halloween haunt in a small town an hour outside of NYC. The filmmakers seemingly strike gold when the only survivor of the crew at the haunt contacts them and agrees to be interviewed and provides them with all of the footage recorded by the team behind the haunt. While the film doesn't do anything particularly groundbreaking, it manages to be an effective and creepy little film.

Bride of Re-Animator - Picking up where the first film left off, this sequel follows Herbert West as he returns to Miskatonic Hospital to further his work. While not quite as fun of a ride as the first, Jeffrey Combs still puts in a fantastic performance that makes the film.

The Hills Have Eyes - The 1977 version from Craven tells the story of a family stranded in the desert being stalked by a crew of backwoods cannibals. This is kind of an ugly movie all around, as Craven does a good job of making our protagonists kind of hard to root for. The father is a loud, aggressive, racist jerk, and the rest of the family enable him and laugh along at some pretty monstrous stuff. For instance, the lunch scene where the mother and her two kids sit down and have a laugh while recollecting how one of their vicious dogs killed a woman's poodle goes a long way to show that these people are monsters themselves. I feel like without this characterization, the movie would have felt even more gratuitous than it already was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Those descriptions of the Phantasm sequels make it sound like they were just bootleg adaptions of King's Dark Tower series. Now I'm weirdly curious to watch these and see if I can get further through them than the books.

• Locked thread