Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
MaxWiggy confirmed-ish:

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/918199708488753158

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

misdirectomy posted:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...arcuterie-board

In which we learn about the fun backstory of the birth of the Warriors offensive scheme and also doxx the Kevman

I always knew Kevman was a hero.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsNBA/status/918218261732278272

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

lol

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
By inspiring Kerr, Kevman made himself a lot of money selling season tickets.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

If Kevman had just brought pita chips Golden State would be playing the triangle and Lebron would have 5 rings.

isme
Oct 13, 2004
ZombiePugs
If Kevman had just brought brick toast, Golden State would be playing like the 2017-2018 Chicago Bulls.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's really shocking to me that most teams don't do the simple concept of "move when you pass the ball."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jota posted:

Never fear:

https://twitter.com/NBCSPhilly/status/918201403365101574

Even if they just show the Nets feed with their announcers, it will be much, much more tolerable than when they did that with the Celtics crew last game. Oh my god they are so bad

Wow that's fantastic !!!

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
lol I read that kevman article this morning before catching up on the the thread and when I got to his post I didn't connect the dots at first and was wondering why the gently caress he was stealing some dude's story

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Tae posted:

It's really shocking to me that most teams don't do the simple concept of "move when you pass the ball."

Last year the second best offense in the league has the 4th least amount of movement.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

dokmo posted:

Last year the second best offense in the league has the 4th least amount of movement.

Yeah, I don't think every team has the personnel to play like the Warriors. Sometimes, you just don't have guys who are able to make those passes/cuts/drives/shots that make an offense like theirs work.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Lebron re-aggravated his ankle injury during his preseason debut and is skipping the rest of the preseason and may miss his first season opener ever. It feels like end times

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Cool Buff Man posted:

Lebron re-aggravated his ankle injury during his preseason debut and is skipping the rest of the preseason and may miss his first season opener ever. It feels like end times

Man, if this is the beginning of the end of LeBron the Eastern Conference Finals are going to be boring.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
For the non-Raptors fans :getin:

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

The raptors won't even make the playoffs

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Oh, they will, and they're gonna look like dogshit in them while stumbling their way to the ECF. It's the Raptors way.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cool Buff Man posted:

The coasting begins early this year

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

misdirectomy posted:

In which we learn about the fun backstory of the birth of the Warriors offensive scheme and also doxx the Kevman

Kevman did you just blurt out Will you implement the triangle offense? Or did you lead into it a little. I respect either choice.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

G:

https://twitter.com/Dcorrigan50/status/918275688448348160

V: Joel Embiid, if healthy, will be really good, possibly even in the MVP race if he gets a good dose of #narrative

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/bleacherreport/status/918277763760394240

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Carlosologist posted:

G:

https://twitter.com/Dcorrigan50/status/918275688448348160

V: Joel Embiid, if healthy, will be really good, possibly even in the MVP race if he gets a good dose of #narrative

We might have spend a good chunk of some future season arguing whether a dude playing 25mpg should be allowed to win MVP

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

And 35 games a season

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Folks,
https://twitter.com/JCameratoNBCS/status/918278338082426881

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He had 2 blocks

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Possibly the most hype I've ever gotten watching a preseason game in any sport smh. When he actually plays basketball he's so good.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Please stay healthy Embiid :pray:

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

misdirectomy posted:

:eng101:

Stevie Lee posted:

excellent read.

gently caress the warriors.

Fair both ways

Space Camp fuckup posted:

What an awesome story. I'm happy for you Kevman.

Thanks, I had no idea this was going to be as big as it was in terms of front page of ESPN.com and on The Jump/in the magazine. It's surreal!

Dejan Bimble posted:

Kevman is the genesis of the best offense in basketball. He's a true news viewer. He's a real man. God bless him.

Hahahaha

Athanatos posted:

Congrats Kevman, they are talking about you on The Jump.

Such a cool story.

Thanks, that was the real surprise for me, I didn't think this would really transition to TV but there was Baxter Holmes breaking it down.

predicto posted:

Kevman living the dream. I'm flat jealous.

I was up super late last night (my parents are about 7 miles from the North Bay Area fires and I've been worried sick about them + one of my best friends got evac'd) and didn't wake up til late but people from WAY back were blowing up my phone. One of them was a Patriots fan and never knew I was cousins with Rob Ninkovich.

Rick posted:

I always knew Kevman was a hero.

:911:

Spacebump posted:

By inspiring Kerr, Kevman made himself a lot of money selling season tickets.

You're the sharpest of them all. The silverest of linings. Nothing more can ever be said about this :ninja:

BWV posted:

If Kevman had just brought pita chips Golden State would be playing the triangle and Lebron would have 5 rings.

Outstanding post hahaha

isme posted:

If Kevman had just brought brick toast, Golden State would be playing like the 2017-2018 Chicago Bulls.

Close second

chunkles posted:

Kevman did you just blurt out Will you implement the triangle offense? Or did you lead into it a little. I respect either choice.

Fairly close to accurate, but after a bit of introduction and small talk first about remembering watching his game 6 shot as a kid and remembering about how much he raved about the We Believe atmosphere first. Basically it started with "Hey coach I'm a huge fan, been a season ticket holder for 7 years, can't wait to see what you've got planned, so tired of Harrison Barnes ISO's are you thinking about trying to implement the triangle offense?" Then I told him I didn't quite understand exactly how it worked and that's when the charcuterie demonstration began. And he just jumped right into it, without any hesitation. Any questions, anything I wanted to know at all he was forthright and super loving cool.

I think that the best part was how humble and gracious he was/is about it. Baxter said that when he first interviewed him about the origination of the offense, Kerr straight up told him "It was at Vino Volo in the Oakland Airport on a charcuterie board" without any hesitation. For months/years afterward I'd casually bragged that I helped build the Warriors offense just as a total joke but I'd feign seriousness every now and then just for shits, but the fact that he not only remembered the details but mentioned it as a the 'birthplace' makes it so much better now. and when Baxter told me that I was totally floored :)

TheKevman fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 12, 2017

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Ha, when I saw your last name I was wondering if you were related to Rob.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Bobby Digital posted:

Ha, when I saw your last name I was wondering if you were related to Rob.

Haha yeah my whole family loves the Raiders but we've each got a Ninkovich #50 in our closets that we'll wear at family reunions or if we're watching a Pats game together. I've never actually met him, our families split when they immigrated from Yugoslavia, but I think that the family figured out that he's my Dad's cousins son. We just call him a cousin.

I took a prop bet for $100 at 2.4 to 1 odds in Reno during the Seahawks/Pats Superbowl about whether or not Rob Ninkovich would record a sack.

Of course he did!

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

that article rules. curry needs to adopt the nickname Almond Stephen Curry

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Aye Doc posted:

Almond Green

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
sweet story, kevman

Cool Buff Man posted:

Almond Green

very chuckle-worthy

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!
Question for the stats nerds in here: what team-level statistics show the most correlation with winning basketball games? My gut tells me it'd be something like team true shooting percentage or opponents' true shooting percentage. Maybe something having to do with win shares, which I don't completely understand?

On a related question, what your favorite (free) place to find good statistics, with a no nonsense presentation and a robust set of filters?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Basketball reference is the gold standard for people not in the industry. As for the first question, I'm not sure there's an answer to it. The dumb answer would be points scored :colbert:. Looking for stats that have a correlation with winning championships/playoff series is probably a more meaningful correlation. Zogo likes posting about certain correlations between some advanced stats and championship wins, but I can't remember the exact figures offhand.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

"The secret service couldn't guaaaard me."

Edit: Cool Buff Man, how did the Celtics look tonight? I missed it due to a softball game and it wasn't on league pass.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Point differential duh

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah, Kevman, that is a great story.

Aye Doc posted:

Unfortunately Muscle Milk may have an exclusivity deal with other types of milk-like products.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
To expand more, looking for stats to predict a single basketball game is not a very accurate because it's too small a sample size. You generally have to look a bit larger. Stats are good at analyzing long term trends. Asking "will this given team win this given game" is honestly not typically the most meaningful question. Or necessarily the easiest one to answer.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I have never wanted a non-rocket to be healthy and good more than Joel Embiid

• Locked thread