Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think literally every small-time studio in the xbox/ps2 era thought they could make a big epic trilogy and all of them just collapsed on each other's faces

hell, even some people at rare thought they could create an epic gritty perfect dark duology without even getting approval from microsoft early in the 360's life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

tbh it's probably more of a survival thing. If you're the team that made a successful game and hinted at future titles then there's a better chance they keep your team on for making stuff in the future.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm pretty sure it literally never worked, unfortunately

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

al-azad posted:

Well poo poo Everybody's Golf looks like the spiritual successor to Camelot's Mario Golf and will probably be the first sports game I've purchased since... Mario Golf on the GBA.
other way around actually, camelot made the first everybody's golf before they went on to make mario golf

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

also lol if you expected the ratings board that's self run by the games industry to say "no actually this thing that we're making a lot of money from is bad"

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

homeless snail posted:

other way around actually, camelot made the first everybody's golf before they went on to make mario golf

It made it real weird in the E3 presentation when they were making bold claims about how that series has evolved since it's "been with the same developer since the beginning".

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Colonel posted:

i think literally every small-time studio in the xbox/ps2 era thought they could make a big epic trilogy and all of them just collapsed on each other's faces

hell, even some people at rare thought they could create an epic gritty perfect dark duology without even getting approval from microsoft early in the 360's life

The Matrix and its multimedia assault were very influential throughout this time period and soon every video game franchise had to tell its story in an expansive trilogy with corresponding comic books, promotional tie-ins, and the inevitable MMO adaptation.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

al-azad posted:

The legal distinction is that the distributor isn't involved in any way with the after market. Some states require hobby shops to follow pawn store laws but Hasbro's interaction with you ends when your store sells you a pack of boosters.

Good point! Also as far as Mark Rosewater's blog and other official sources go I've seen them dance around the existence of a secondary market (talking about reprinting cards to make them "easier for new players to acquire" etc) but I have literally never seen them ever come out and explicitly acknowledge it by saying "X card has become really expensive" etc

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/GameHistoryOrg/status/918193471474647041

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

One thing that people seem to take for granted is that the cost of games needs to be going up at all when there's are countless counter examples that come out like, every week, and the largest AAA publishers putting Loot boxes in every is just another pin in their board of reasons to stop developing and releasing games. All the biggest companies are like one or two bad years away from going the way of Konami, and any publicly traded one doesn't give the slightest crap about game design. Everybody wants to be Blizzard who has to make one bad game every 5 years and print 100 million dollars a week off people gambling on cosmetics. Well I guess every Japanese company wants to be that but on Mobile bc that's what their gaming culture has been for like a decade now

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sweden will save us

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

sweden is paradox games who have their own dlc fiasco right now

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In 2017 paradox has shifted to my No list

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gamings dying cloud.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

gaming is still good, because of nintendo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Super Mario Odyssey

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

In Training posted:

One thing that people seem to take for granted is that the cost of games needs to be going up at all when there's are countless counter examples that come out like, every week, and the largest AAA publishers putting Loot boxes in every is just another pin in their board of reasons to stop developing and releasing games. All the biggest companies are like one or two bad years away from going the way of Konami, and any publicly traded one doesn't give the slightest crap about game design. Everybody wants to be Blizzard who has to make one bad game every 5 years and print 100 million dollars a week off people gambling on cosmetics. Well I guess every Japanese company wants to be that but on Mobile bc that's what their gaming culture has been for like a decade now

That's capitalism.

Movie industry is the same poo poo.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/Swery65/status/918259212408389632

it's not fair, it's not right

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/Grounding_Inc/status/918114488234078208

swery.............................. !!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

an actual dog posted:

Just you wait, in five years they'll get complacent and put out Flip D Doo a controller-less tablet tethered to your belt and everyone will hate Nintendo until they pull their poo poo together again.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Poor swery. Probably would have made the money if the mc was more york-like

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think if he had ever put his name on a good game more people would have been willing to back it lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

an actual dog posted:

Amiibo and hard mode dlc is nintendo already infected and loving it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well I shouldn't poo poo talk D4 it seems kinda neat, I just never played it. Also it's funny to think about it as a sequel to D/D2

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

Well I shouldn't poo poo talk D4 it seems kinda neat, I just never played it. Also it's funny to think about it as a sequel to D/D2

d4 is actually pretty sick and didn't break when i was like five hours away from the end but unfortunately legal stuff means he'll never get to finish it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Deadly p is great whenever its not a combat segment

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rest assured when I become a millionaire I'll personally fund Swery's next project. I've been studying Dragon Quest to figure out a game winning strategy on slot machines.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

an actual dog posted:

:lol:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

al-azad posted:

Rest assured when I become a millionaire I'll personally fund Swery's next project. I've been studying Dragon Quest to figure out a game winning strategy on slot machines.
make a game where people can pay real money to open boxes with things inside

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Loot boxes suck but they don't hit the legal definition of gambling.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
loot box crate, get a crate full of loot boxes every month

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Gamings dying cloud.

as long as Mario Odyssey comes out before the robo guards come.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Colonel posted:

please be an overwatch loot crate *crosses fingers and opens box, pulling out a paladins loot crate*

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Loot boxes are almost the pinnacle of capitalism, but the seller still has to put something ostensibly of value in them. Once they figure out how to get rid of that second part they will have ascended.

homeless snail posted:

please be an overwatch loot crate *crosses fingers and opens box, pulling out a paladins loot crate*

Don't you mean Lawbreakers? People actually play Paladins I think.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

the switch owns bro

and amiibo are cool but there's literally nothing they've unlocked that's worth a drat lol. The only exception was the co-op mode for Shovel Knight but they've reversed that decision.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

One could argue that life itself is the ultimate lootbox.....

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

The Colonel posted:

The latest humble monthly includes digital card packs and fake currency to buy lootboxes with for a couple of the latest Bethesda games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Help Im Alive posted:

I got a blue rarity tier one then

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm definitely against lootboxes, in that case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Help Im Alive posted:

The Forrest Gump remake is sounding pretty awful

• Locked thread