Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
From experience: Accountants are very protective of their old school Windows 2003 physical servers running accounting software built (if you're lucky) in the early 90's.

Ours is still Win 2003 but at least I finally managed to retire it's physical essence a few months ago. (It's still sitting behind me in my cube "in case we need it") :downsgun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

PremiumSupport posted:

From experience: Accountants are very protective of their old school Windows 2003 physical servers running accounting software built (if you're lucky) in the early 90's.

Ours is still Win 2003 but at least I finally managed to retire it's physical essence a few months ago. (It's still sitting behind me in my cube "in case we need it") :downsgun:

Cross training as an accountant and then forcing these assholes to migrate to modern software should be worth cash money

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

mewse posted:

Cross training as an accountant and then forcing these assholes to migrate to modern software should be worth cash money
You don't need to be an accountant to perform a cost-benefit analysis on lost man-hours waiting for old, slow/broken equipment vs the cost of upgrading said equipment.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

anthonypants posted:

You don't need to be an accountant to perform a cost-benefit analysis on lost man-hours waiting for old, slow/broken equipment vs the cost of upgrading said equipment.

This argument falls down when you have to tell the board that no, after the switch you will not be able to get last years numbers on the same sheet as this years to compare. You'll be lucky if the account structure is similar enough to compare last year to current year on two separate sheets of paper. This is even more of an issue in publicly traded companies where by SEC regulation the statements have to be comparable. It costs a huge amount in terms of man-hours to upgrade an accounting system.

Full disclosure: I am an accountant.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Just have them enter each transaction twice, one in each system until you have enough history on the new system to meet regulatory standards.

Don't tell me that it's too much extra work, any accountant can handle double entries.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Does database import export not exist in this hypothetical world?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Kurieg posted:

I can copy this Excel file to an external drive and move it to another system if that's what you mean.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
An urgent request came in! Client needs their domain controller NAT'ed to an external ip and ports 389 and 636 unblocked at the firewall!

Our nat. director butted in and said nobody do this without telling the client why this is a horrible idea first.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:gonk:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

hihifellow posted:

An urgent request came in! Client needs their domain controller NAT'ed to an external ip and ports 389 and 636 unblocked at the firewall!

Our nat. director butted in and said nobody do this without telling the client why this is a horrible idea first.
WHY :allbuttons:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Someone wants an external service to do ldap authentication or directory lookup against their domain controller.

Basically the worst idea ever.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Use Azure AD DS

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
God damnit somebody laugh at my dumb accounting joke.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I can copy this Excel file to an external drive and move it to another system if that's what you mean.

And then from Excel to a .csv, which any SQL server worth it's salt can digest?

Or are you saying that your 'database' is just an insanely large group excel spreadsheet?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

PremiumSupport posted:

This argument falls down when you have to tell the board that no, after the switch you will not be able to get last years numbers on the same sheet as this years to compare.
I'm not an accountant, so this sentence looks far too vague to mean anything.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Use Azure AD DS

We don't have Azure AD set up yet (:sigh:), so I have 636 open, but I mean it's not a direct DC connection so I guess it's good enough?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

You'll never get my laughs out of receivable.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Antioch posted:

We don't have Azure AD set up yet (:sigh:), so I have 636 open, but I mean it's not a direct DC connection so I guess it's good enough?
:cripes:

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
It passes through an F5 with a very specific rule about incoming traffic so it's good enough. Or at least good enough for the director that signed off on it, making it officially Not My Problem ™. I'm still fixing it as soon as Azure AD DS is running in a few months.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I’m pretty sure he means Apple computers and not Media Access Control.

Or Message Authentication Code.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What are ports 389 and 636 usually used for?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

iospace posted:

LDAP and LDAP over SSL/TLS

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

iospace posted:

Services that use LDAP usually want them. Used to be one was for SSL/TLS transmission and one wasn't but some services are using both for secured transmissions.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

it's a bad idea to have two taskbars at the bottom of the screen.

Yup. I once removed my machine from the domain rather than the one I was working on.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Proteus Jones posted:

LDAP and LDAP over SSL/TLS

So in other words, the response should be "hahahah no. You moron."

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

iospace posted:

So in other words, the response should be "hahahah no. You moron."

Absolutely.

That's to go to response for any hole that gets punched through the firewall to the Domain Controller, to tell the truth.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MANime in the sheets posted:

Yup. I once removed my machine from the domain rather than the one I was working on.

use non standard colors for your machine.

i hear the hotdog stand scheme is nice

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

use non standard colors for your machine.

i hear the hotdog stand scheme is nice
This is what I do, though an arbitrary blue-gray. I miss pranking people by switching their theme to hotdog stand and telling them their monitor was broken.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I use a periodic inventory system for my laughs, sorry; I'll let you know how many laughs I used at year-end.

anthonypants posted:

I'm not an accountant, so this sentence looks far too vague to mean anything.

It is a relatively big thing in accounting to produce financial statements (income statement, balance sheet, etc.) showing at least this year's numbers and last year's numbers (and potentially further back as well). This is sort of for good reason: if you change how you're calculating or presenting the numbers, by recalculating last year's numbers the same way you still have some sort of basis for comparison. Of course, that means if you're changing accounting systems, you have to bring across enough data that the new system can calculate multiple years' worth of statements... and you'd better get it to come to the same numbers, the owner/investors/whatever probably don't want to hear the excuse of "oh, the new system added things up differently."

It should be simple still, frankly, but for the systems you'd really want to move off of, you're suffering from the worst of all the vendor lock-in problems along with a bunch of users who don't really want to be helpful because the way they did things 25 years ago worked then and it's good enough today, dammit. If you want to know how things 'should' be (or just suffer from insomnia), look up XBRL GL, I guess.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Kurieg posted:

Sure, assuming that the old system used something even remotely resembling a modern database, and all the fields in the old database match up to fields in the new database 1:1, and you have SQL, Oracle, and/or DB flavor of the month in 1992 experts handy. In most cases you're either going to have to spend a lot of time massaging old data to fit into the new system and hoping you get it right, or just plain re-entering poo poo.

Max Peck posted:

It is a relatively big thing in accounting to produce financial statements (income statement, balance sheet, etc.) showing at least this year's numbers and last year's numbers (and potentially further back as well). This is sort of for good reason: if you change how you're calculating or presenting the numbers, by recalculating last year's numbers the same way you still have some sort of basis for comparison. Of course, that means if you're changing accounting systems, you have to bring across enough data that the new system can calculate multiple years' worth of statements... and you'd better get it to come to the same numbers, the owner/investors/whatever probably don't want to hear the excuse of "oh, the new system added things up differently."

It should be simple still, frankly, but for the systems you'd really want to move off of, you're suffering from the worst of all the vendor lock-in problems along with a bunch of users who don't really want to be helpful because the way they did things 25 years ago worked then and it's good enough today, dammit. If you want to know how things 'should' be (or just suffer from insomnia), look up XBRL GL, I guess.

Well put :)

PremiumSupport fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 12, 2017

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

hihifellow posted:

Good news! The client has external IPs they can filter for, so the only risk is potentially unencrypted credentials being passed over the internet :tif:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

hihifellow posted:

Good news! The client has external IPs they can filter for, so the only risk is potentially unencrypted credentials being passed over the internet :tif:

If they absolutely have to use the Internet, is there some sort of allergy to setting up a small-bandwidth P2P VPN to carry the traffic between sites?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
my boss is loving retarded

if 55 out of the last 58 tickets in the past year were done one way because a supervisor told us to, don't tell me the "way it's always been done" is the way the odd 3 tickets were.

I cut him off while he was trying to blame me and said "Then there's a communication issue and you're not communicating to us"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
"Well I'm telling you now" great what about the other 21 employees who aren't listening to this conversation

send an e-mail

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

If they absolutely have to use the Internet, is there some sort of allergy to setting up a small-bandwidth P2P VPN to carry the traffic between sites?

No idea, I'm just an observer since they sent the request to my group by accident when we have little to do with routers and firewalls.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
The art teacher emailed me informing me that it is time for the annual "Contour Project" that I help her with. I responded saying I have no clue what she's talking about.

The deadline for this project is tomorrow, and she doesn't know what it is, what it consists of, or how she did it. She just knows the IT department helps her with it.

Long story short, the computer science teacher runs student selfies through a Photoshop filter and then she prints them out. The computer science teacher is out with food poisoning after eating raw chicken at his desk (yes).

I refuse to do this project for her, telling her that if she has an assignment or project that she is requiring, she'd better know how to actually do it herself, and maybe next time don't wait until the day before to bring it up.

Now I get to have a talk with the director this afternoon. I wholeheartedly plan on pointing out that I have a planned deployment of $489k worth of new technology that will cost the school absolutely nothing, as well as a future expansion that will save us $30k a year. If he wants to crawl my rear end about a lazy luddite art teacher who should have retired 8 years ago then I will gladly allow him to make his point to my back as I head out the door with every contact and deal I've spent the last two years working on.

I've officially hit the point of no more fucks to give with this bullshit job.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

larchesdanrew posted:

The computer science teacher is out with food poisoning after eating raw chicken at his desk (yes).

sometimes I think about doing the same thing for the same reason.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

larchesdanrew posted:

The art teacher emailed me informing me that it is time for the annual "Contour Project" that I help her with. I responded saying I have no clue what she's talking about.

The deadline for this project is tomorrow, and she doesn't know what it is, what it consists of, or how she did it. She just knows the IT department helps her with it.

Long story short, the computer science teacher runs student selfies through a Photoshop filter and then she prints them out. The computer science teacher is out with food poisoning after eating raw chicken at his desk (yes).

I refuse to do this project for her, telling her that if she has an assignment or project that she is requiring, she'd better know how to actually do it herself, and maybe next time don't wait until the day before to bring it up.

Now I get to have a talk with the director this afternoon. I wholeheartedly plan on pointing out that I have a planned deployment of $489k worth of new technology that will cost the school absolutely nothing, as well as a future expansion that will save us $30k a year. If he wants to crawl my rear end about a lazy luddite art teacher who should have retired 8 years ago then I will gladly allow him to make his point to my back as I head out the door with every contact and deal I've spent the last two years working on.

I've officially hit the point of no more fucks to give with this bullshit job.

Does your school not have a desktop person? I get that you job has morphed into more important work, but does this teacher have no other resource to get help with computers?

If you are it , that kind of request sounds annoying but not totally unreasonable considering. If you indeed spoke to her that way I would crawl up your rear end too.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sickening posted:

Does your school not have a desktop person? I get that you job has morphed into more important work, but does this teacher have no other resource to get help with computers?

If you are it , that kind of request sounds annoying but not totally unreasonable considering. If you indeed spoke to her that way I would crawl up your rear end too.

if it's not an outage, anyone who demands a <24 hour turnaround can get hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

gently caress that. If someone called me to do Photoshop work, I'd tell them that's not my god damned job. Sure let me go model some Solidworks too while I'm at it.

• Locked thread