Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I did not know the jealousy/envy differe difference either

I also like the grizzled look..very Canadian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

I eventually came to a realization that I'm just not cut out for secks. The best I could do is have some sort of charity secks (orchestrated by Mr. Weed) but when you think about it, is that really something you should pine for? Really?

In the end, I JUST DON'T CARE. Sometimes I get myself wondering about these things and eventually come to a realization that I'm motivated only by jealousy ("dammit that guy can do it while I can't") and, as much as I hate using the word, I actually like being in the friend zone. After all is said and done, yeah, secks just ain't my thing. But at the same time, it sort of bugs me watching my life go by while I'm doing nothing. Not everyone is cut out for those things I suppose, and I'm one of them. :)

It's cool if you have a low sex drive, as long as you're honest from the very beginning with your potential partner. You may end up meeting someone whose needs are similar. You may also meet someone who prefers to be more active; in that case, you'll have to communicate about how you want to address the issue. Some couples do semi-open relationships, in which the partner with the higher sex drive is "permitted" to have no-strings attached sex with other people on the down low; some couples break up. Either way, as long as you and your partner communicate honestly, you can find a good, healthy relationship no matter your sex drive.

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

I really need to find me a girlfriend. Mr. Weed almost got me a kitten the other day but ultimately decided against it because surprising someone with a living animal is never a good idea. I'm borderline asexual and lonely (thus the kitten). Basically, have a few pics mr. Weed took of me couple of days ago. Do you think I'm looking good enough to start dating? I don't even know where to begin!

It's interesting to note that beards are currently fashionable, but I've always sported a bushy beard - not because I wanted to make a fashion statement or some poo poo, I'm just too lazy to shave. :haw:

Lol you look like a non balding version of myself.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Beard it kinda just sounds like you're lonely and want someone to hang out with. No need to assume companionship needs to include sex.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
It's done, I sold the Uncle Bruno house to my cousin and collected the money. :getin:

It was a classic Gypsy Troll; give me money so I'd go away. I didn't expect to extract a lot of money from him, and I bet right now he's laughing about how he screwed me over - but he's not gonna be the last person to laugh. First of all, the unrealistically low asking price is going to rise quite a few eyebrows over at the Croatian version of IRS, and when they catch you cheating on taxes - or just suspect you doing so - you're screwed. They're going to send out a property value assessment team which will wring him dry - and when (if) he somehow gets them off his neck, then there's the house itself - he's not gonna do the sensible thing and demolish it, oh no, he's gonna try to painstakingly repair the ruin and bring the building back to code which will have him hemorraging money and the whole thing is still going to suck even after he blows countless thousands on it. And if he tries to build something next to the old house, he's not gonna be able to do that either as the yard was nationalized in 1957 and he'll have to spend the next ten years suing the government to return the confiscated plot of land to him. In the meantime, he can either erect a new structure illegally (which is dumb for a variety of reasons) or he will have to wait a long, long time for the him vs. Croatia lawsuit verdict - and even then, it's not guaranteed that the government would indeed give the land back to him.

Who's the last one to laugh again? :)

I bought me a new computer, paid all of my denbts and I'm gonna spend the rest of my inheritance on hookers & blow. :getin:

By the way, can someone cast some light on what the hell happened here?

There was an ashtray out on my AC compressor unit outside and yesterday the thing sort of... exploded. :stare: I was lying in bed when I heard a loud snap and... hell, I have no coherent explanation for this. The ashtray was made out of black tempered glass and the afternoon sun was directly upon it... I blame thermal expansion or something. :staredog:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ya glass will have stresses inside of it due to uneven cooling when solidifying and if the glass is not tempered correctly this can happen.

Congrats on selling the house.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
If the tax office decides that the reported price was too low they'll calculate the market price and what would be the tax for it and demand that the buyer pays the tax difference. Which is still much cheaper for the buyer than paying the market price for the house. You sure showed him! PM me if you got any other real estate that you want to sell under price.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Doctor Malaver posted:

If the tax office decides that the reported price was too low they'll calculate the market price and what would be the tax for it and demand that the buyer pays the tax difference. Which is still much cheaper for the buyer than paying the market price for the house. You sure showed him! PM me if you got any other real estate that you want to sell under price.

You're forgetting that only half the property belonged to me and that the circumstances dictated that my cousin was the only potential buyer. The price would've been higher if the plot of land was cleared up (ie no old house to demolish) and if it had any papers whatsoever. I'm just happy I got rid of that hot potato. :)

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Doctor Malaver posted:

Yes, they will "calculate" the "market price" by taking a peek into their tables with inflated prices dating from the peak of the 2007 bubble.

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

How about now? Trimmed the burns. Sorry for extremely poo poo picture quality, it was taken with a brickphone because I borrowed the camera to Mr. Weed and I didn't want to badger him at this hour just to take a picture of my face. :shobon:

i think a Croatian elvis tribute career but yes on the fuckability scale no sideburns is a improvement

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Y'know you can grow a beard and it looks good. Keep shaving and if you ever find a partner with female parts then they like a smooth face on that. Probably.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I remember reading this thread years ago with great pleasure than kinda forgot about it and now wandered back into ask/tell aout of boredom and here it is. This is incredible and reminds me of Belarus back in late 90ies/early 00s when the country was experiencing drugs boom and had 0 experience dealing with this kind of thing.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Hello ASF, and thread too i suppose. I have a few croatian questions for you!

First, are there protestants in croatia, i know its very catholic but am curious. A good friend of mine got married in Cleveland, ceremony was in a croatian catholic church.

Second and related question: after the ceremony in the downstairs of the church they had snacks and food set out. There were these "hamburger" looking things, really more like a rectangle ground beef patty/sausage which were delicious, any idea what they are called? Very subtle spicing, was served with side of onions and tomatos if i recall correctly.

Also at the reception later that night food was awesome, as in everything, very impressive for event of that size. The wifes family is croatian, and boy are they proud of it, is that a common thing?

As some of us say in America "stay up homey"

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
There is a negligible number of protestants in Croatia, less than half percent by 2011 census. I think there were more pre-WW2 because there were more Germans then. My great-grandparents converted in a sense from Catholicism to Protestantism because great-grandmother's parents didn't like her fiance and were convinced that their marriage will end in a divorce. Since that's easier in protestant church, they allowed the marriage under the condition that the young couple does it as protestants.

As for the meat, maybe chevapi? It's very common food here but not really served at weddings since it's cheap and the onion makes you smell.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Tnuctip posted:

There were these "hamburger" looking things, really more like a rectangle ground beef patty/sausage which were delicious, any idea what they are called? Very subtle spicing, was served with side of onions and tomatos if i recall correctly.

Maybe it was pljeskavica?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pljeskavica

Personally I love this stuff. And yeah Croats tend to be extremely proud of themselves and their country, whether this sentiment is truly warranted considering the circumstances, that's something I'd rather not go into right now.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

The square shape gives it away as banjalucki cevap

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

With some goonie starter hints i have determined they are ćevapčići (copied from google so unsure of exact spelling/pluralization). Chevapi it is! Very tasty! Now i just need to find someplace in central Ohio (the armpit of the midwest) that makes them.

Also the croatian-american center in Cleveland made an awesome dinner. Not sure if they have a regular restauraunt on the side of the building, but i would definitely reccomend it if they did!

Pretty sure some guys i did shots with in the croatian church basement had prison tattoos, but was not the right circumstances to ask.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Tnuctip posted:

With some goonie starter hints i have determined they are ćevapčići (copied from google so unsure of exact spelling/pluralization). Chevapi it is! Very tasty! Now i just need to find someplace in central Ohio (the armpit of the midwest) that makes them.
If I can find them (and similar) in metro Detroit, you should be able to if you dig around a bit. Good luck! As you know, they're worth it. :)

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Been reading this great thread for a long time so might be misremembering but were you in the war? There's a great and fairly well known book in the US called My War Gone By, I Miss It So. Pretty drat intense. Not sure if you are familiar with it.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Sten Freak posted:

Been reading this great thread for a long time so might be misremembering but were you in the war?

Not really, I spent the war years being more or less safe in Zagreb.

On the other end, Mr. Weed and his mom had it very rough; they had to flee Bosnia for their lives from kebab removalists (Mr. Weed is a muslim) while his brother was less lucky, he was murdered by the Chetniks. Mr. Weed renounced Islam and had his name legally changed to a Christian-sounding name while taking his wife's surname. He's now an atheist, because he feels that religion and multiculturalism in the Balkans caused spectacular amounts of misery and strife, and he didn't want to have anything to do with bullshit religion anymore.

Anyway, I bought me some drugs at the Jakuševac flea market two days ago. You can find all kinds of wild stuff there, but this was in fact the first time I saw a guy openly selling opiates and benzos; he just had a bunch of drug boxes on his chunk of cardboard, with zero fucks given, apparently unaware that he's selling prescription opiates for peanuts and that this was extremely illegal for him to do. I naturally bought me some Tramadol and paid only $10 for 40 capsules of bootleg trams. :getin:

I went to buy a wrench but came home with dope (and no wrench). Such is life. :ughh:

By the way, have a picture of Bobbie the cat, getting ready to purr herself to sleep on my lap. :)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Aw, she looks just like my cat, right down to the spot on her nose. :3:

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

That's a cute cat.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Hirayuki posted:

Aw, she looks just like my cat, right down to the spot on her nose. :3:

She's a retired show cat, Cornish Rex breed. As mr. Weed puts it, "she wouldn't have survived ten minutes outside" because she's way too trusting of strangers and I've never seen her using her claws, not even while doing her lap kneading stuff. :3: She'll walk up to just anybody and demand belly rubs. :)

Mr. Weed spent the war years in Croatia as a refugee, and being an angsty, angry teenager he did the usual teenager stuff: shooting stuff with his AK, building pipe bombs and blowing poo poo up, looting and torching abandoned houses; the standard fare. He and his mom lived in a burned-out shell of a house in a village near Slavonski Brod, with nylon sheets covering the windows, with no electricity, heating or running water. He told me that he was full of aggression and hate in those years, but has since managed to leave all of that behind himself, drowning his aggression in a barrel of beer and drugs. :)

By the way, do you believe in karma? I've caught wind of the news that Nicholas the real estate flipper, who repeatedly tried to scam me, went bankrupt. I spoke to my friend who lives in the CrackDen apartment building from where I moved out in 2012, and he told me that Nicholas fell victim to the real estate bubble crash. He's so impossibly broke these days that he can't even afford to finish rebuilding my apartment which has been sitting as an unfinished, empty shell ever since. It's a disaster for Nicholas, because what should have been a huge moneymaker (just think AirBnB) turned into a bottomless money pit literally overnight. Now he's stuck with that unfinished piece of poo poo and he can either sell it at a HUGE loss, or keep paying the taxes and utilities for an empty shell, with barren brick walls and stuff.

I know it's a seriously rear end thing to gloat over this poo poo, but goddammit sometimes I love me a bit of schadenfreude. :D

edit for clarity.

A SWEATY FATBEARD fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Oct 11, 2017

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Have you ever played This War of Mine?

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

By the way, have a picture of Bobbie the cat

Don't doxx me, OP

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I'm probably just hosed up, but the more you talk the more I want to go to Croatia. Collecting empty bottles for beer money and being able to (I assume relatively safely) buy drugs at a flea market is extremely my poo poo.

I've also been 'studying' Russian for 4 years and although I imagine I would be totally lost in a Russian speaking country, I would learn more in a week than I have in the last 4 years

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Dr.Caligari posted:

I've also been 'studying' Russian for 4 years and although I imagine I would be totally lost in a Russian speaking country
Good thing they speak Croatian, then!

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

spankmeister posted:

Have you ever played This War of Mine?

Never heard of this. Is that a computer game or something? I haven't really played anything in the past 15 years or more.

Dr.Caligari posted:

I'm probably just hosed up, but the more you talk the more I want to go to Croatia. Collecting empty bottles for beer money and being able to (I assume relatively safely) buy drugs at a flea market is extremely my poo poo.

Eh this was probably a one-shot occurence, that's what surprised me and it is why I wrote about it. I really doubt that this guy shows up every Sunday with a backpack full of drugs or something. But then again... who knows. I'll be going to the flea market again next Sunday, because I just miiiiiight score dope again. But I won't be holding my breath for it.

Dr.Caligari posted:

I've also been 'studying' Russian for 4 years and although I imagine I would be totally lost in a Russian speaking country, I would learn more in a week than I have in the last 4 years

Russian and Croatian languages are related like Spanish and Portuguese, with Croatian grammar being much more complex than Russian. We've got a bunch of tenses, and everyone's favorite: gendered nouns. This causes non-native speakers to pull their hair out while trying to learn Croatian - gendered nouns are a grammar thing and they don't make any sense to a foreigner - you simply have to know them by heart.

Anyways, I really wonder why am I freaking out all the drat time. Life is going really smooth for me now, I got two awesome tenants who don't brew up poo poo for me and they always pay on time, I got rid of the POS Uncle Bruno house, I'm surrounded by a small, but awesome group of friends, all while having a substantial amount of money in the savings account. Logic mandates that I should be relaxed completely, and yet I'm having recurring nightmares and when I'm awake, I'm forced to shovel meds (ANY meds) into my filthy druggie maw to prevent me from having a tard meltdown. I don't get it, where did everything go so right and, at the same time, so wrong? :(

Sorry if this post reads kinda disjointed, I'm high as gently caress on chair-cooking Biperiden.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Never heard of this. Is that a computer game or something? I haven't really played anything in the past 15 years or more.

It's a computer game about surviving a war in a nondescript yugo country in the 90's. You live in a house and you have to keep your friends alive during the day and scavenge for food and barter items during the night.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

There's a big real state update. My grandma, who is 90 years old, got a notice of foreclosure a few days ago and is in extremely low spirits. The court ordered her to pay $1000 bucks because some of her distant cousins sued her over a scrap of land. Grandma has no way to pay $1000 so she was extremely bummed out and sad.

Then I proposed a deal between the two of us. I'll buy out her foreclosure debt and pay her 2000 croatian kunas every month for the rest of her life just to make going easier on her. With her state pension and my rent, she could live EXTREMELY well, better than 80% of pensioners in Zagreb.

The gotcha is that I want to get her apartment once granny dies. A minor problem is that her nieces are helping around the house a bit, but they too are on the verge of bankruptcy while I'm loaded at the moment. Granny promised to leave the apartment to her niece, after she dies, but wills can be changed at any moment while altering the will to leave the apartment to me.

We'll see how the situation will develop. I'm the only one who can pull granny out of her financial quagmire because I'm swimming in cash.

Well, turns out that I smell some money here, it would've been stupid not to take a chance. :haw:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

I don't get it, where did everything go so right and, at the same time, so wrong? :(

Sorry if this post reads kinda disjointed, I'm high as gently caress on chair-cooking Biperiden.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Anyways, I really wonder why am I freaking out all the drat time. Life is going really smooth for me now, I got two awesome tenants who don't brew up poo poo for me and they always pay on time, I got rid of the POS Uncle Bruno house, I'm surrounded by a small, but awesome group of friends, all while having a substantial amount of money in the savings account. Logic mandates that I should be relaxed completely, and yet I'm having recurring nightmares and when I'm awake, I'm forced to shovel meds (ANY meds) into my filthy druggie maw to prevent me from having a tard meltdown. I don't get it, where did everything go so right and, at the same time, so wrong? :(

The thing that immediately crossed my mind here is that you're addicted.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I agree, but just from my experience the addiction is another symptom of the real problem. The nightmares and willingness to take any meds make me think some kind of PTSD, but I have no qualifications for saying that.

Thank you for the info on Croatian/ Russian language difference, very interesting

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Dr.Caligari posted:

I agree, but just from my experience the addiction is another symptom of the real problem. The nightmares and willingness to take any meds make me think some kind of PTSD, but I have no qualifications for saying that.

Thank you for the info on Croatian/ Russian language difference, very interesting

This is just a hunch, but do you perhaps have Croatia and Crimea mixed up?

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE
deals involving money/houses and family can turn into the biggest ball aches ever.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

No , I had thought I had seen SFB say that Russian was an official or at least secondary language in Croatia.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Dr.Caligari posted:

No , I had thought I had seen SFB say that Russian was an official or at least secondary language in Croatia.

No and no. The only official language is Croatian, and for most people, German is a secondary language. German is slightly losing its dominance in favor of English.

By the way, I might start working again these days. I applied for a vacant janitorial position in one company and in the morning I'm going on an interview! Wish me luck. Can't wait to latch onto a wooden broomstick again! :neckbeard:

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

By the way, I might start working again these days. I applied for a vacant janitorial position in one company and in the morning I'm going on an interview! Wish me luck. Can't wait to latch onto a wooden broomstick again! :neckbeard:

Does this mean your work with mr weed has stopped?

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Dance Officer posted:

Does this mean your work with mr weed has stopped?

It hasn't even began to be honest. It turned out that I'm very unstable on the ladders because of my meds; they make me woozy which means that falling off the ladders and getting seriously hurt was only a matter of time. Besides, the winter is coming and it's a traditionally quiet period for construction workers - mr. weed is resting as well these days.

I'm going on a job interview in a couple of hours, keep your fingers crossed that I get the job! :)

edit: grammar.

A SWEATY FATBEARD fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Good luck! Are you taking that fat beard to the interview?