Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The cube popularized the idea of fidget gadgets. By then the patent for spinners lapsed, they're cheaper to make to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think fidget spinners were an existing but unknown doodad someone patented for use on autists, then the patent ran out and they couldn't/didn't renew the thing and blam. (I don't know how patents work)

e:beaten

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Guy Mann posted:

Normally I would be loath to link to an Imgur gallery but it's a whole lot of crazy to sort through.

That was definitely worth the time to read. That lady is all types of shity person. :catdrugs:

e: Also the Facebook page just went back up again, so she may not be done? :shrug:

Harveygod has a new favorite as of 18:07 on Oct 3, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RandomPauI posted:

The cube popularized the idea of fidget gadgets. By then the patent for spinners lapsed, they're cheaper to make to boot.

The person with the "fidget spinner patent" had actually patented something else which wouldn't have prevented people making the common fidget spinner designs. They were basically much larger toys, none of the arm thing going on, though it did rely on the ball bearings things to help keep the things spinning longer than a plain plastic toy the same shape.

Anyway, she'd invented it quite long ago, so her patent had actually expired in 2005, while the fidget spinner fad only started going at all in like, late 2015 and then started to go really big in late 2016. So it's not like people had been just waiting for that patent to go off, it'd been dead for years.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Patent application: a small wheel, for autistics

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Make it bigger and use a lot of them to achieve autism powered flight. Kickstarting right now.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
From the creators of House.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Morglon posted:

Make it bigger and use a lot of them to achieve autism powered flight. Kickstarting right now.

There's already a huge fidget spinner, and it's about as unwieldy as you might imagine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX28JBvcy9k

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_6DjAIZ66I

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.
An automated polisher for your phone. Because wiping it off by hand is too hard and time consuming.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1661063041/carwash-automatic-phone-cleaner?ref=category_newest

(Oh, yeah, by the way, this is our second time putting this up. Not because it's a dumb idea, but because we didn't explain the product well enough first time around)

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.
A small, unobtrusive, barely noticeable device that you wear on your chest to remind yourself not to touch your face. It will retail for only $85!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/835545834/handsdowntm-wearable-device-easily-breaks-bad-habi?ref=category_newest

Skip forward to :50 in the video to meet our creator, who got the idea from a Matt Damon movie that came out 6 years ago.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/kobunheat/status/918224732620709889

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Someone get some free karma and post this to /r/thathappened for a ton of free karma.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
And that Nintendo member was... my uncle

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mainecannabiskid/rick-and-morty-pickle-rick-condoms

Stolen from IoSM thread.

Also, suspended by Kickstarter the day after launch.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mainecannabiskid/rick-and-morty-pickle-rick-condoms

Stolen from IoSM thread.

Also, suspended by Kickstarter the day after launch.

quote:

Smoked a lot of weed, got high, then saw ONE picture of the Pickle Rick condoms! I thought to myself, I WANT ONE! Then.... I realized they aren't for sale anywhere... so why not make them myself?

Homemade condoms, what could go wrong?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Considering that Dan Harmon has been publicly melting down about McDonalds capitalizing on him using their IP as a meme I feel like fleecing him out of his own IP is victimless at worst and karmic retribution at best.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Homemade condoms, what could go wrong?

Someone is going to born into this world because of Pickle Rick.

Alternatively, the chemicals used will damage you bodily systems so it will be too sick to make babies!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You're assuming that someone who would use a Pickle Rick condom would have sex.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Finally, someone discovered a birth control device with 100% efficacy

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

We thought this about Tolkien and video game nerds once, now there's at least a Galadriel and a Sephiroth in a kindergarten somewhere.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Duke Igthorn posted:

HOLOBOX

This is actually a pretty neat thing that would be great for conventions and other action figure displays. There are two problems:
One:

Yes! It works for ANY figure of the exact same size and in the exact same pose! Up to 15 very specific special effects that work with 15 (same sized, proportioned and posed) figures!

And two: they have no idea how to Kickstarter

As I've said they have something on their hands that would be perfect for companies interested is displaying things at conventions so why are they doing Kickstarter in the first place as a primary source of funding, especially when their goal is a hundred and fifty thousand dollars? Here are the reward tiers:

Normal "thank you" tier

The very next tier

Then, for only $50 more, YOU can have the privilege to pay $50 more for the exact same thing at the exact same delivery time. They sliiiiiiiightly overestimated the consumer demand on this largely commercial use product.

These guys are 100% the first people who create something before someone else swoops in fixes the obvious flaws and gets rich.

Pretty sure I saw one of these at PAX last month at an exhibitor's booth, but I can't remember which one. I recall the projection screen being pretty low-res, and it had a noticeable screen door effect. Googling around found similar displays, including one from an auto show in 2014, so these guys weren't the first (the KS page says they founded the company in 2015). Others seem to have the same sort of built-in animations. They even call it a Holobox, but the KS company's branding isn't present.
As you might expect, there are a lot of different ones available on Alibaba. But, they're quite expensive; the Kickstarter pricing is actually very competitive.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Waffleman_ posted:

Think about all the dumb fucks who have kids. And R&M is very popular.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
TFW you and derpette are about to have le sexytimes and you pull out Pickle Rick

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

TFW you and derpette are about to have le sexytimes and you pull out Pickle Rick
A moment where kinkshaming is okay.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1401357387/bubble-cage-hat

I want this to succeed because I would actually start watching football if the players had to wear 20 pounds of ridiculous extra gear.

Bonus points if NFL games have to superimpose "Patented" and the creators yahoo email address over all the games.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CollegeCop posted:

I want this to succeed because I would actually start watching football if the players had to wear 20 pounds of ridiculous extra gear.

Bonus points if NFL games have to superimpose "Patented" and the creators yahoo email address over all the games.

Holy poo poo, it's back again. This is the fifth time he's put this project on Kickstarter, the first time was back in 2015. The first attempt raised $54, the second raised $29, his last two attempts didn't get a single pledge between them.

But maybe this time it'll work!!!!

Edit: the only difference in the project I can see is that the 3rd time he posted it he was trying to raise $5,000, the last time he posted it he was trying to raise $10,000, and this time he's trying to raise $100,000.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 19:03 on Oct 14, 2017

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Foam on the inside. Foam on the inside of here.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

I like how risks and challenges includes getting an actual investor. "Hey guys, give me money so I can fart around with this absurd idea until someone with real money decides to give me some."

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What if we made this the next Doobie's Dog House?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

What if we didn't? The whole Doobie thing loving sucked and it was nothing but taking advantage of a guy who didn't know any better. Remember the safari rules. Look, don't touch.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Holy poo poo, it's back again. This is the fifth time he's put this project on Kickstarter, the first time was back in 2015. The first attempt raised $54, the second raised $29, his last two attempts didn't get a single pledge between them.

I'm the video that has so much watermarking you can barely tell what's going on behind the watermarks.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

CollegeCop posted:

DK mode activated.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Oh, no, I mean turn these helmets into hot dog stands. It'll only take two or three right?

Edit phone posted and didn't double check the spelling.

RandomPauI has a new favorite as of 23:59 on Oct 14, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Edit: the only difference in the project I can see is that the 3rd time he posted it he was trying to raise $5,000, the last time he posted it he was trying to raise $10,000, and this time he's trying to raise $100,000.

Yeah, if you want to see some of the other ones he did Retsupurae did a video about this a goddamn year ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd7DSewwWpQ

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Eventually football players will all be in power armour.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

The end of that video is really strange with the editing to make it look like he's playing catch with himself. The rest of the video is also pretty strange.

Come on, Mr. B, time to find some angels.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Come on we all know the future of sports is more exciting and far more dangerous

https://youtu.be/8DgAfs4FutI

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Back in early 2015 some people from the Star Citizen community, having nothing better to do because that game doesn't exist, got a license from Interplay to make a new Descent game and ran a successful kickstarter raising just under $602k to make the game, initially (IIRC) they were going to just make a multiplayer game but decided to add a single-player campaign because of overwhelming demand. IIRC there was a rumor from the devs really early on that it was also going to be MOBA too for some reason.

Fast forwards a little to February 2016. Some of the old hands from Volition/Parlax, including founders Mike Kulas and Matt Toschlog, launch a kickstarter for Overload, a spiritual successor to Descent that they had been working on since 2014. The kickstarter is also successful, raising $306k. The game was originally going to be single-player but they announced they'd add multiplayer after finishing the game.

Since then both games have continued development, Overload has turned out to basically be the Descent sequel everybody wanted, while Descent Underground has not made much progress beyond being a generic 6DOF deathmatch game from what I've seen of it. Of course hey, the Overload team has way more experience and started first so I guess we can give the Underground developers some leeway on that. On the other hand they got twice as much money and could have just hired more programmers to fill in the gaps.

But most recently, at the end of September, Descent Underground was delisted from Steam and GOG because they wanted to "focus on the game" and similar marketing buzzwords about how they will now only be communicating through some site called BrightLocker which is "the future of interaction between gamers, developers, and the amazing games that bring them together." However in a stream shortly before it was delisted they basically blame Steam for "forcing" them to delist the game because they weren't releasing enough updates (never mind all the other unfinished early access games that are still for sale?) and because the Overlord developers were apparently involved in a conspiracy to leave them negative reviews. I also found some guy in the comments for a review saying he'd been IP banned from even visiting the game's website after criticizing it. They also temporarily deleted all the posts on the Steam forum between August and October but they appear to be back now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/descent/comments/601elw/descendent_studios_banned_me_for_criticism/

https://steamcommunity.com/games/360950/announcements/detail/1492238800024274472

quote:

Well, at least I actually did get the D:U shirt I paid for. I wear it occasionally as a reminder to never back another EA/Kickstarter game.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/360950/discussions/0/1519260397787672709/

quote:

So, based on your video here(4:33) it sounds more to me like you were forced off of Steam due to a lack of updates then by choice. Vocally blaming Steam for your own slow progress, and citing 'neg-spaming' as somehow a cause for it? How does another games progress or popularity hurt your development process? The moment someone says something bad, the entire team has to go on stress leave and recover? The negative feedback is due to your seemingly nonexistent progress and a lack of communication to your customers. Leaving Steam won't make that go away, showing real progress updates instead of live multiplayer matches will.

I find it pretty scummy that I now have to create an account on another site just to keep updated or ask questions, and I can't help but feel this whole thing looks like a straight-up money grab.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7jeW3gQ3B4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
1,328 people have never heard of self amalgamating tape.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adventuretape/adventure-tape-the-ultimate-rescue-solution-for-yo/description