Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Karl Barks posted:

i wouldn't have guessed those - maybe maier because you're in new york. i can see some shades of her in your picture of the couple kissing in the phone booth above, which is the only one you've posted on this page that i think is engaging.

most street photographers seem to pick a theme and focus on that - winogrand shot pictures of couples for instance. I think you need to focus on a theme that's a bit more narrow like that and see what comes of it. please don't do corners of buildings.

also check out Gary Winogrand, Harry Callahan, and Joel Meyerowitz (tho i'd be surprised if you hadn't read these people thoroughly). i only mention them because you didn't mention them

I know Winogrand, but never looked into Callahan or Meyerowitz — will do now.

Awkward Davies posted:

Also, Daniel Arnold is the most active street photographer I know about in New York rn, if you don't know his work. There's gotta be a bunch more, he's just the most active one I follow.

Funny, Daniel Arnold rang a bell for me, so I looked him up on Instagram. Turns out I follow him, but the algorithm hasn't shown me ANY of his work in months and months. I gotta find another way to ingest this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

https://vimeo.com/179192293

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Watch this documentary thetzar:

https://youtu.be/EaeEx0Uvef8

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
I hate telling anyone to look at Eric Kim. Look at some Eric Kim. Don't read his blog though, thats taking 3 steps backwards.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Spedman posted:

This is excellent, thank you.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Lady in red by brutal colours, on Flickr

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Spedman posted:

these are both dope

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
I'm trying guys, I really am.

Let's talk about image selection and editing if you don't mind.

So I went out today and shot 130 frames after work. I got home and immediately deleted 100 of them. From the remaining 30, there are a few I'd like to talk about.

First is this one. This stood out to me for the center composition, the fact that the subject woman is uniquely dressed, and is the only one looking in the direction she is. It's not BAD (maybe could be cropped in a bit). But it's static. It's not telling much of a story. I just don't know if there's enough 'there' there. So this one's going in the REJECT pile.

Next up. This guy's having an energetic conversation with the dude in front of him. The overpass above gives some nice blocking. I love the emotion on his face. I'm thinking this goes into the KEEP pile. I wish the guy in the background didn't look so uninterestedly bland.

These guys. I heavily cropped in on this one to get this composition. I really dig the dynamic of the two faces, the angle somewhat mirroring the angle of the overpass behind them. The three visible hands. Again, not sure about the 'there' there, but I dig the motion, and think the off-kilter angle of the shot actually helps that. I'm thinking KEEP pile as well. Even though it's just a couple guys in suits?

Lastly there's this woman, who you're about to see a couple of times. Here she's talking to the guy next to her. I love the pucker of her lips, the reflection of the glasses, the rumpled texture of the dress. There's something happening here, but it's not enough. REJECT pile.

Now here she is straight on. Great expression, great hair, the reflections in the window behind her are working better. BUT... it's just a picture of a smiling person. I'm not sold on it. REJECT pile.

OK, so this is the last photo, but kept in color with some color muting going on. For some reason, this one is sticking with me better than the black and white one. Less contrast, less crunchiness. But the blue of her glasses picks up the blue of the sky, and I like that. Her hair blends into the sky. It's just a street portrait, but I think it's a fine one. KEEP pile for me.

So what do you all think? Is my logic way off? Are these all rejects? Is this kind of exercise interesting for people? I'm trying to learn the right lessons here.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I like the colour one a lot more

I also think you should stop defaulting to black and white. It doesnt make a photo better unless colour is distracting from what the photo is about. For 99% of street, I would argue it doesnt

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
nice photos thetzar

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

The colour one is probably the best of the lot, the blue accents linking the different elements and the curves of her glasses complements her curly hair. The remaining 3 photos just don't make me feel anything at all. At best the first 2 photos could be used as fillers in a series, but that's stretching it. It feels like you're ticking off a checklist when you picked these photos - yes have center composition, yes have some emotion in main subject, etc. None of them would say it's a "thetzar" shot, anyone could have taken them, because also, all 4 photos are quite different in feel from each other.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
The color is definitely the better version

Here's an idea for you:
Don't worry about the post processing yet. Worry about the subject and the composition. Try shooting without using any post processing for a while.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

"thetzar" posted:

So what do you all think? Is my logic way off? Are these all rejects? Is this kind of exercise interesting for people? I'm trying to learn the right lessons here.

First one, should have shot that horizontally. It could have been much more.

Second one is the strongest.

Don't shoot 100+ photos. Shoot 10. Not joking.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Musket posted:

First one, should have shot that horizontally. It could have been much more.

Second one is the strongest.

Don't shoot 100+ photos. Shoot 10. Not joking.

Shoot medium format street so every frame costs you a dollar or more.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Shoot large format street so that every time you look at your camera, you think 'gently caress it, not today.'

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

seriously you should delete most of them, don't post any online, and keep shooting. don't worry about rapid iteration, don't worry about an online feedback loop. sit on your photos for months.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

that's not to say that the photos are bad, or that you should feel bad for taking them (the street thread refrain), but i think you would benefit from breaking out of the online feedback loop.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

ansel autisms posted:

that's not to say that the photos are bad, or that you should feel bad for taking them (the street thread refrain), but i think you would benefit from breaking out of the online feedback loop.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Helen Highwater posted:

Shoot large format street so that every time you look at your camera, you think 'gently caress it, not today.'

No one asked you :snoop:

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

ansel autisms posted:

This sounds like good advice to me.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

thetzar posted:

This sounds like good advice to me.

It really is. The photos you see us posting here now, are actually taken months or even years ago. There's really no rush to put photos up online, unless you're getting paid for that.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
the dorkroom > street thread: the photos are bad and you should feel bad for taking them

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
i took this pic a week ago

Untitled by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

RangerScum posted:

i took this pic a week ago

Too soon IMO

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I'm glad pics of backs are no longer probatable!!!

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
thats a good back photo. really digging the visual metaphor of the sweat escaping the band like a river bursting it banks, representing how white tourists have burst the banks of their own countries borders.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Elk Man with BB Gun by Cacator, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
well uh that certainly is a thing (good photo btw)

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Jimlad fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 29, 2017

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

I like this. I kinda wish the background were in focus as well, I feel like there are a lot of good faces to be seen.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

thetzar posted:

I like this. I kinda wish the background were in focus as well, I feel like there are a lot of good faces to be seen.

I like the future Goon in the foreground

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Helen Highwater posted:

I like the future Goon in the foreground

Sadly I don't know if many kids will be exposed to SA like we were.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

thetzar posted:

Thanks! Interesting point, I did think about using a smaller aperture, but my thoughts were that it's quite a busy scene and having more of the background in focus would have distracted from the foreground characters. Maybe it's not a very street thing to say, but at the moment I definitely feel like depth of field is a good tool for drawing the eye, although the real question is balancing how much in a given situation.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
So I stopped taking pictures of the corners of buildings and started taking pictures of subway doors.

Welcome aboard by Jason Martin, on Flickr

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
^^ I'm so happy I don't work downtown. Those are all making me claustrophobic and the first one is wonderful.

Preacher in Strings

Triplicult

Legally speaking, publishing photos of people in Quebec without their consent is a civil offense. I wonder if posting photos on a dead internet forum counts as publishing. The law was written before the internet was even a thing.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sauer posted:

Legally speaking, publishing photos of people in Quebec without their consent is a civil offense. I wonder if posting photos on a dead internet forum counts as publishing. The law was written before the internet was even a thing.
It is publishing, but I don't think it's going to be an issue.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

bowmore posted:

It is publishing, but I don't think it's going to be an issue.

Yeah that was meant tongue in cheek. Only one organization has ever been sued under that law and no individuals to my knowledge.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Subway pics are really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
100F8332 by Jim, on Flickr