Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Bahahaha she made a business deal with your dad, and your mom is meeting her to manage it. By Mainlander standards I think that's more binding than marriage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
Congratulations, mr plunger!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Congratulations to Chaoshan Girl for leaving China and finding happiness and wealth!

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
I'm more captivated by this than a Mexican lady by her telenovela.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

peak debt posted:

I'm more captivated by this than a Mexican lady by her telenovela.

This IS our telenovela. We are all a Mexican lady to someone.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ommgggggg meet the parents

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

百年好合

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

End of a free plunging era :china:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Man when you were describing the kid I was assuming 2-3, those years when kids can turn into absolute shits and have the mobility to run around and cause trouble but can be super hard to control since they still have baby brains. A loving 10 year old??? Jesus christ that's pathetic and sad parenting.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tupperwarez posted:

Bahahaha she made a business deal with your dad, and your mom is meeting her to manage it. By Mainlander standards I think that's more binding than marriage.

nah, by mainlander standards it's just a particularly large amount of foreigner trust to try to turn into money and face while providing nothing but lies and bullshit.

from haier's reports CG actually has a conscience though so it'll probably turn out okay

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
This thread is a rollercoaster.

May space Buddha bless your nuptials with minimal diarrhea.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Save chaoshan girl from china IMO

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
If those two crazy kids end up married I will absolutely send a present.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Thai Mom? Crude sex remarks? Looks like the asian plunging genes were inherited

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

If those two crazy kids end up married I will absolutely send a present.

Were all invited, right? You better drink real baijiu when you come to the 10 tables of goons for your wedding.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'll probably be in India next February for a couple weddings already so Haier please do the needful.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Hello, which one of you Chinagoons brought the air pollution from China over to the San Francisco bay area.

The AQI is currently "unhealthy" which is about as bad as China on average. Thanks for starting a wildfire here.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Bajaj posted:

Chaoshan Girl is really enjoying where we are going and what we are doing. She keeps shouting "OH MY GOD" when we arrive at a temple or ancient place. She is extremely amused and shocked at watching the wild pigs, monkeys, cows, dogs, and birds. She is equally amused by watching the bullock carts, camel carts, and wild humans. She is saddened by the poverty and homeless kids, disabled beggars, and so on. Overall, it's very eye-opening for her. She is very happy. She wanted to wear a sari, but had no one to teach her, so she bought these kid trainer saris with clips and buttons, since she's tiny, and has been wearing those and looking cute.

We have been eating a lot, and every day she says how she feels so much stronger than in China, and how the food makes her not feel bad all the time. She hasn't eaten much strictly Indian food, but has found a new love of pasta, lasagna, Frankies, milkshakes, and varieties of Indian sweets. She became completely addicted to lassi, and drinks 4-5 per day. Since milk is cheap and easy to find here, she has become a milk, cheese, and paneer fan and has milk products constantly. She hasn't gotten any illness. She said she realizes that now there are people that are more rude than Chinese, but at the same time they make her less crazy. She wants to come back many times.

This is what I hope happens to people when they travel outside their comfort zone. I mean, she was already pretty open minded but it's always encouraging to see it happen. :shobon:

Last time I went to India with coworkers, most everybody was at least able to get a little out of their comfort zones except for one guy. He would only eat the hotel breakfast (American style), McDonalds, and Dominos for the three weeks we were there. He would also never leave his hotel room, opting to watch Netflix by himself rather than go out and explore the city.

Flying to Korea next week to visit the in-laws. I hope I don't get nuked out of this plane of existence while I'm there.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
*chinese parent looking upon their first child* "just imagine, one day i'm going to have to raise this kid's child" *hands child to grandparents and goes back to Shenzhen for 22 years*

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Reading an article about a production of Romeo and Juliet set here in Hong Kong but in 1850. The journalist has added an extra zero out of habit: the play was apparently written 5000 years ago

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
:yikes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwOaApcnpRs

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Fromage posted:

Please post tips on how to tell good from bad India street food, other than the obvious of going to busy ones cooking everything to order.
Usually you can just tell by looking. If it's fried, which most things on the street are, you know that it's probably sketchy if it looks like it's been sitting there for a long time. If so, they try to give you the oldest stuff first. If it's out in the open, does it have a fly net over it to prevent bugs? Are they burning dhoop or incense to keep the bugs away? What precautions are they taking? These days I have seen many a lassi stall that leaves the yogurt out in the open before mixing it, no net or anything, and the stuff is covered in flies. If the food is made to order, but they try to give you old stuff, then just walk away, because that always gets them to say "OK OK OK" and then give in. I don't know, you can usually just know if it's safe by looking. I've gotten diarrhea at highly-rated places, so it's often just a matter of the cook or the habits. I got diarrhea at a restaurant owned by a royal family.

mikerock posted:

She met your Dad? When's the wedding?
She did. We haven't met for a couple years, and he was anxious to see me, so we were all together. He refused to believe we were just friends, but he is the original Plunger, and knows we don't want marriage, so he was fine.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Also, if Chaoshan Girl likes Indian sweets, you should turn her on to Gulab Jamun, and/or Rasgulla. Also the diamond shaped cashew/pisatcchio thing that I don't know the name of, but it is in any self respecting sweet stall, although that could be just a South Indian thing.
I took her to all of the sweet shops I know to be safe. Raj bhogs, gulabs, srikhand, ras malai, and a bunch of other stuff I am forgetting the names of. She loved all the milk-based sweets, but thought stuff like gulab jamuns were too sweet to be eaten.

ladron posted:

for real.

Isn't the main rule of Chinese people to never let them know where you live or meet your family?

Wait, maybe that's prison...
This is the main rule, along with never, ever, ever putting them on your Wechat album, even if you're married. I can count on one hand the number of married people I know that ever put one single photo of them in the same room as their spouse. I've yet to see someone do it for a GF/BF.
Meeting family means marriage. Luckily, CG kept saying "Americans are so different," as she understood we are not so strict. My dad bought us lunch and she was was saying "Oh my God, this is so rude in China. We would never let an old person pay for anything. How can Americans let old people pay?" and I said "Don't let him hear you calling him an old person."

Tupperwarez posted:

My dad is a businessman at heart, always and forever, and when I was showing him some gadgets and cool stuff I bought in Huaqiang Bei (electronics market of Shenzhen), he immediately started turning the gears in his head about how he's never seen any of this stuff in the markets in Thailand. When he found out that CG is a middle-man for all types of electronics, and can get components and build working prototypes for customers from plans they send, he was very pleased to have a cash connection right in front of him. He quickly made a list of stuff for her to research on her phone, and she dutifully sat there for an hour looking up these things and getting quotes. He's been in wholesale for decades, long before I was born, and when he saw the prices for certain electronics that he knows they charge much higher for in Thailand, he thought to send my Thai mom to Shenzhen to stay with CG and check it out. He wants to undercut the competition at the markets in Thailand.
He had shop stalls for years in the biggest local and tourist markets in Bangkok, but hasn't had a good idea of products he'd like to sell. He tried to hire me before to work in one of them, since about 80% of the people coming by in some spots are all foreign tourists. "They aren't going to haggle when they see a farang, and they might trust the products more."

Baronjutter posted:

Man when you were describing the kid I was assuming 2-3, those years when kids can turn into absolute shits and have the mobility to run around and cause trouble but can be super hard to control since they still have baby brains. A loving 10 year old??? Jesus christ that's pathetic and sad parenting.
Yesterday I was at the hotel and the maids had taken all the empty water bottles from the rooms and stood them in a corner, so later they could go exchange them for some spare cash. The kid saw them lined up and immediately ran over to kick them all down. The hotel owner came out of his office and said "HEY, what are you doing? Why is this boy so naughty? Guests are sleeping!" So the kid ran down the hall kicking outside people's doors. The mom was like "Oh... no.... please.... come back... stop..." in the most "I am only doing this because we all just lost face" type of manner. She slowly picked up the bottles he'd kicked over, to which he ran back and kicked them while she was picking them up. He started shoving her head and she just pretended nothing was going on. I told CG the kid was a poo poo head, and she asked me what that meant. I said it means his head is made from poo poo, his brains are poo poo, and he acts like a big stinky poo poo.

Future CEO in the making.

I've known these people for almost a year, longer than CG, and they are filthy rich but not tuhao. The grandparents live with them in their palace in an expensive part of SZ. It seems like nobody is raising the kid. CG told me the gossip that when I am not around (and they are acting decent), apparently the wife super henpecks the husband about everything and calls him names. Like, LOL, this is perfect for your little poo poo head kid to watch so he grows up with even less respect for anyone, even his family.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Do one for China but it's all insects.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
How much of this is bullshit/plaster/photoshopped out the street making GBS threads?

https://www.culturesouthwest.org.uk/garden/classical-gardens-of-suzhou-gallery/

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

AKA Chengdu Bumhole, the morning after

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

A video game has hurt the feelings of the Chinese once again. A popular game where you can build your own space ships and fly adorable little creatures to their horrible deaths in them is being review bombed to poo poo on Steam. Why? Because they changed a "famous Chinese quote".

Apparently the original famous quote was 不到长城非好汉 which the Internet tells me means "You're not a real man until you've climbed the Great Wall" which is some kind of Mao quote. In the game this was changed to 不到Mun非好汉 and printed on one of the space shuttles, meaning "you're not a real man until you've been to the Mun" (the game's version of the moon).

Someone complained that this was sexist and the developers changed it to 不到Mun绝不罢休, which apparently means "Will never give up before having been to the Mun". This triggered massive review bombs (ie. Chinese players giving the game the most negative possible reviews) because it "devalues a beautiful Chinese saying" or some bullshit like that, or in other words, hurts their precious feelings.

But best of all are the dudes who are trying to explain this away by saying if they changed Neil Armstrong's famous "one small step for man" quote to something like "walking on the moon is important for humanity", people in the West would riot, when really nobody would give two flying fucks and they just don't understand that.

E:

As a sidenote, this is starting to become a real problem on Steam. Chinese players are review bombing games for tons of reasons. Steam lists the game's overall crowd reception very prominently on their site and it's naturally worth a lot to have a game which the community rates "Overwhelmingly positively" or something, so when a ton of people take a poo poo on it and change that to "Mixed" or even "Negative", it will have real consequences for the developers, many of whom are very small independent teams.

In the past games have been targeted for reasons including but not limited to...
- Not having Chinese language options
- Not having the CORRECT Chinese language options
- Removing from their public Steam modification section a mod which was actually just a link to Pirate Bay from which the Chinese could download a pirated version of the game which was hacked to have Chinese language support
- Not following the One China theology

Of course it's not limited to exclusively Chinese players. Westerners have acted like giant babies as well and nuked games for being too SJW, not being SJW enough, being published by the same company that did something they didn't like etc etc.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 12, 2017

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Bajaj posted:

My dad bought us lunch and she was was saying "Oh my God, this is so rude in China. We would never let an old person pay for anything. How can Americans let old people pay?" and I said "Don't let him hear you calling him an old person."

Oddly enough out here the elders always pay... maybe we're too young (still 20s) and therefore still considered "kids" but if I tried to pay for a meal it wouldn't just be the normal few-minute-long "Nooo, I'll pay" "No I'll pay" *weakly shoves you* "Noooo no I'll pay" drama, it would be a serious death glare and a straight up "Sit down, kid."

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Der Shovel posted:

A video game has hurt the feelings of the Chinese once again. A popular game where you can build your own space ships and fly adorable little creatures to their horrible deaths in them is being review bombed to poo poo on Steam. Why? Because they changed a "famous Chinese quote".

Apparently the original famous quote was 不到长城非好汉 which the Internet tells me means "You're not a real man until you've climbed the Great Wall" which is some kind of Mao quote. In the game this was changed to 不到Mun非好汉 and printed on one of the space shuttles, meaning "you're not a real man until you've been to the Mun" (the game's version of the moon).

Someone complained that this was sexist and the developers changed it to 不到Mun绝不罢休, which apparently means "Will never give up before having been to the Mun". This triggered massive review bombs (ie. Chinese players giving the game the most negative possible reviews) because it "devalues a beautiful Chinese saying" or some bullshit like that, or in other words, hurts their precious feelings.

But best of all are the dudes who are trying to explain this away by saying if they changed Neil Armstrong's famous "one small step for man" quote to something like "walking on the moon is important for humanity", people in the West would riot, when really nobody would give two flying fucks and they just don't understand that.

E:

As a sidenote, this is starting to become a real problem on Steam. Chinese players are review bombing games for tons of reasons. Steam lists the game's overall crowd reception very prominently on their site and it's naturally worth a lot to have a game which the community rates "Overwhelmingly positively" or something, so when a ton of people take a poo poo on it and change that to "Mixed" or even "Negative", it will have real consequences for the developers, many of whom are very small independent teams.

In the past games have been targeted for reasons including but not limited to...
- Removing from their public Steam modification section a mod which was actually just a link to Pirate Bay from which the Chinese could download a pirated version of the game which was hacked to have Chinese language support

Of course it's not limited to exclusively Chinese players. Westerners have acted like giant babies as well and nuked games for being too SJW, not being SJW enough, being published by the same company that did something they didn't like etc etc.

Can you offer any explanation as to why half the chinese review bombs of KSP are ranting about "not bowing to feminazis"?

Oh, nevermind, I got it.

Amusingly, almost exactly a month ago, Valve added features to Steam to greatly mitigate the effects of review bombing.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Oct 12, 2017

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Der Shovel posted:

E:

They have also review bombed Player Unknown's Battleground for having no China Servers. So many China players! Why no servers! Why lag so poo poo! Disrespect China!

Dumb fucks need to blame their own poo poo government.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer
EDIT: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

oohhboy posted:

They have also review bombed Player Unknown's Battleground for having no China Servers. So many China players! Why no servers! Why lag so poo poo! Disrespect China!

Dumb fucks need to blame their own poo poo government.

Chinese clients advertised VPNs in the main menu. Possible that the slow China servers were poo poo, also possible that the servers were made slow because an outside company was getting popular with China and they couldn't put out a proper knockoff game to :airquote: fairly compete :airquote: because the source arma mod code can't be spaghetti in critical places.

And China players got marginally better performance(not by much) on foreign servers, at the expense of other regions' games having almost a full second of latency because a half dozen players are in China.

I worry that this might have been a genuine effort to humanize African animals by portraying them alongside humans from Africa, and it was extremely poorly executed with bad photography.

It's a very optimistic possibility, but then again, :china:

hailthefish posted:

Can you offer any explanation as to why half the chinese review bombs of KSP are ranting about "not bowing to feminazis"?

Oh, nevermind, I got it.

Amusingly, almost exactly a month ago, Valve added features to Steam to greatly mitigate the effects of review bombing.

I believe the "femnazis" review bombing is leftover vitriol to "female versions of little green men that you murder in the name of science" but they had no momentum to do something this brazen. Now that the dam of negativity is broken, they're dumping that pent up hate to enhance the effect, and also to hide in the crowd.

Personally, the sell to Take Two is the biggest rant I'd make, but it's still a good game.

Mistle fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Oct 12, 2017

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

When has a steam game ever been review bombed for "not being sjw enough" loving lmao

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

HAT FETISH posted:

When has a steam game ever been review bombed for "not being sjw enough" loving lmao

"SJW" is a super malleable term so probably lots of times depending on who you talk to

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Why would I want to talk to KekMaster1488 tho

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

HAT FETISH posted:

OMG don't kekshame

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

HAT FETISH posted:

*KekMistress1488

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

So.. anyone want to check Google Translate's work for me? I uh.. did a thing..

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

hailthefish posted:

So.. anyone want to check Google Translate's work for me? I uh.. did a thing..

Gonna need a higher-res image of that, unless it's just that I'm on a phone. Can't read the bottom row right now.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If you're putting a game up on Steam, does it let you select which regions to make it available in?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just the other day I was looking at a game that went from very to mostly positive and 99% of the recent bad reviews were in Chinese and very short or just yelling " add China language!!!" Or "bad" "don't work"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Devils Affricate posted:

Save chaoshan girl from china IMO

Totally this.

• Locked thread