Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought the implication was that it's a question of attitude rather than material wealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Morrissey from the Smiths? I never read his books because I think he's a oval office. I've heard his autobiography is meant to be good, though.

Yeah, who went straight onto Penguin Classics despite not being even close to a classic. I was much happier when I thought it was by David Morrisey from dodgy 90s sitcom Men Behaving Badly.

I'd be really interested in seeing a BotL takedown of Morrisey or some similar dreadful literary fiction, if only to clearly delineate "literary" from "good"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

now back to literary criticism consisting mostly of spitting on people below you

But you have been doing that the whole time.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought the implication was that it's a question of attitude rather than material wealth.

Partly. Consider how Trauma Dog argues for the common man and against the bourgeois, but by 'common man' he means people fans of Wheel of Time or Harry Dresden and so on, and says that the existence of the bourgeois and class system is necessary. This is worse than snobbery: it's false populism. Remember how he specified that literary criticism attacked poor people for "enjoying" things - this is just the standard nerd criticism about how criticism steals fun away.

I'm sure this can be related to RPO somehow.

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 10:41 on Oct 12, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yeah, who went straight onto Penguin Classics despite not being even close to a classic. I was much happier when I thought it was by David Morrisey from dodgy 90s sitcom Men Behaving Badly.

I imagine the Penguin Classics badge has been put on worse things (granted, I'm saying that despite not having read Morrissey's books).

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot
holy poo poo people, social not socioeconomic. There is a difference.

Trauma Dog 3000 has a new favorite as of 10:51 on Oct 12, 2017

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
my favourite book is the torah

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

holy poo poo people, social not socioeconomic. There is a difference.

What is the difference?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I imagine the Penguin Classics badge has been put on worse things (granted, I'm saying that despite not having read Morrissey's books).

Morrisey posted:

At this, Eliza and Ezra rolled together into one giggling snowball of full-figured copulation, screaming and shouting as they playfully bit and pulled at each other in a dangerous and clamorous rollercoaster coil of sexually violent rotation with Eliza’s breasts barrel-rolled across Ezra’s howling mouth and the pained frenzy of his bulbous salutation extenuating his excitement as it whacked and smacked its way into every muscle of Eliza’s body except for the otherwise central zone

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

What is the difference?

the only white kid in an all black kid is supposedly in a better economic position. He's still probably had multiple bones broken.

Partly. Consider how Trauma Dog argues for the common man and against the bourgeois, but by 'common man' he means people fans of Wheel of Time or Harry Dresden and so on, and says that the existence of the bourgeois and class system is necessary. This is worse than snobbery: it's false populism. Remember how he specified that literary criticism attacked poor people for "enjoying" things - this is just the standard nerd criticism about how criticism steals fun away.

I'm sure this can be related to RPO somehow.

The problem with that kind of 'criticism' is that it is a pretty transparently a way to attack the people who enjoy the media. The actual criticisms range from meaningless accusations of racism (there was a black character; this is bad), sexism (there was a female character; this is bad) to misjudged criticism that can only come from a deliberate misreading of the text (the main character is a bourgeois rear end in a top hat with no problems, despite being an abused child living in a trailer park), or blatant retardation (the setting of the book is hopeless, and the characters don't try to make the world a better place. Apparently books should have disney messages in them).

the intent of these reviews is to allow the readers to feel smugly superior to the types of people they imagine read the media being 'criticised'

Pexistence of the bourgeois and class system is necessary. This is worse than snobbery: it's false populism.

Inevitability is not the same as necessity, as you are well aware.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

That would be pretty good if it was meant to be a comedy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

or maybe I don't like communism.

There's no getting past human nature though, there will always be a social class structure.

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

now back to literary criticism consisting mostly of spitting on people below you

So literary criticism is no big deal, and we should be pretty chill about it?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Darth Walrus posted:

You can just ignore most of it anyway if you aren't interested, after all.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Darth Walrus posted:

Genocide is inevitable too, i would still consider it a pretty big deal

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

the only white kid in an all black kid is supposedly in a better economic position. He's still probably had multiple bones broken.

You haven't answered what "social" actually means in contrast to "socioeconomic". Your argument is that vague "social" conditions trump "socioeconomic" conditions because black children can beat up a white child.

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

The problem with that kind of 'criticism' is that it is a pretty transparently a way to attack the people who enjoy the media.

the intent of these reviews is to allow the readers to feel smugly superior to the types of people they imagine read the media being 'criticised'

The problem is clear: you haven't ever read literary criticism, and are imagining attacks on the character and integrity of people living in trailer parks.

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

Inevitability [of the class system] is not the same as necessity, as you are well aware.

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

These are immensely ideological statements. In your mind, the class system and genocide are inevitable, so all we can do is feel bad about how terrible they are because they're going to roll over us anyway.

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 11:06 on Oct 12, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

Man, there's some kinds of edgy teen nihilism you just have to sit back from and appreciate like a fine work of art.

But not, you know, critically appreciate. That would be mean.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

imagining attacks on the character and integrity of people living in trailer parks

So you would classify poor people who live on trailer parks are members of the bourgeois

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

So you would classify poor people who live on trailer parks are members of the bourgeois

You seem to be concerned about literary critics slandering people who live in trailer parks.

This isn't an actual criticism of snobbery, it's simply paranoia. No one here is attacking people who live in trailer parks through the medium of book reviews or literary magazines.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

These are immensely ideological statements. In your mind, the class system and genocide are inevitable, so all we can do is feel bad about how terrible they are because they're going to roll over us anyway.

The class system is biologically ingrained see: every human civilisation ever, that video of the monkey taking berry out of the mouth of the lower status monkey

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

The problem is clear: you haven't ever read literary criticism,

:rolleyes:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

That would be pretty good if it was meant to be a comedy.

He seems to be missing her vagina and just bashing her all over with his dick, so I am leaning towards comedy, yeah.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

This isn't an actual criticism of snobbery, it's simply paranoia. No one here is attacking people who live in trailer parks through the medium of book reviews or literary magazines.

That was an offsite RPO criticism and yes, there is a heavy theme of "white people can't be poor" in the bullshit these people write

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

The class system is biologically ingrained see: every human civilisation ever, that video of the monkey taking berry out of the mouth of the lower status monkey

It's not so much class systems that are natural occurrences as it is hierarchies, of which class systems as we understand them are just one example.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's not so much class systems that are natural occurrences as it is hierarchies, of which class systems as we understand them are just one example.

They're all awful for the people at the bottom

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

That was an offsite RPO criticism

So what you're saying is that calling RPO racist, sexist, inspired by a strain of middle-class consumer culture, and horrendously bleak in its vision of the world... shows that literary criticism is bourgeois snobbery.

lol

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

What is the difference?
Social class is unrelated to money. A cashed up bogan is still a bogan and a bankrupt lord is still an aristocrat. It's not about how much money you have, it's about what you do with it. How you behave. How you speak. How you think. It's about the difference between old money and the nouveau riche. The difference between a millionaire tradesman and a millionaire doctor.

The problem is clear: you haven't ever read literary criticism, and are imagining attacks on the character and integrity of people living in trailer parks.
When you sneer at Twilight or The Da Vinci Code or "genre fiction" you are using literary criticism as a proxy for looking down on lower class people.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

See, rich people aren't allowed to want change because they don't know what it's like to be poor, and poor people aren't allowed to want change because they don't know what's good for them, which leaves... Huh..... Guess we'd better not change anything.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

So what you're saying is that calling RPO racist, sexist, inspired by a strain of middle-class consumer culture, and horrendously bleak in its vision of the world... shows that literary criticism is bourgeois snobbery.

lol

Have you ever read a criticism of The Road where it's bleakness is used as a justification to attack it's readers?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Tiggum posted:

Social class is unrelated to money.

Your mistake is that you've reduced the concept of "socioeconomic position" to "having more or less money than others". Thus the vague and meaningless opposition of "social" and "socioeconomic".

Tiggum posted:

When you sneer at Twilight or The Da Vinci Code or "genre fiction" you are using literary criticism as a proxy for looking down on lower class people.

Twilight and The Da Vinci Code are works enjoyed by all levels of society. There is nothing intrinsically "lower class" (which lower class? Are they proletarian?) about them - they're simply popular. Like Trauma Dog you're advocating for a sort of false populism that denounces snobs for ruining people's enjoyment of popular books.

And really, calling something "genre fiction" is insensitive?

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

Have you ever read a criticism of The Road where it's bleakness is used as a justification to attack it's readers?

How a book uses "bleakness" can be criticized quite easily, depending on how it conveys that bleakness and what message that in itself conveys. But your argument is that you imagined that the reviewer wanted a "Disney message" ("Apparently books should have disney messages in them"), and thus they are using literary criticism to attack poor people in trailer parks.

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 12:33 on Oct 12, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dabir posted:

See, rich people aren't allowed to want change because they don't know what it's like to be poor, and poor people aren't allowed to want change because they don't know what's good for them, which leaves... Huh..... Guess we'd better not change anything.

The middle class, which has historically been pretty consistent in the belief they are the only ones worth a drat. As this thread kind of proves.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
TD3K: "The world is cruel and unjust."
Also TD3K: "No, gently caress you, you can't do anything about that."

Like, what's even the point of sharing that with us? Does your average grocery trip take several hours because you keep ranting at the cashier about the futility of existence?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Like, if you're just cruising for a suicide pact, McDowell already has me booked.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

The middle class, which has historically been pretty consistent in the belief they are the only ones worth a drat. As this thread kind of proves.

The middle class are poor who think they're rich

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

So as far as I can tell, we got here because some people can't get over the existential angst of "I like this thing, but some people think it's of poor quality, but it can't be of poor quality, because I like it" and decided to turn this into an issue of class warfare? With a quick jab at race relations for seasoning.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
People take hobbies - whether it's books or politics - too seriously.

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 12:13 on Oct 12, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

People take hobbies - whether it's books or politics - too seriously.

One is, admittedly, slightly more likely to get you killed. Especially since e-books mean collapsing bookshelves are less of a threat.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
PYF terrible book: No John, you are the bourgeois.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's good if you already are a big Morrissey fan.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

von Braun posted:

It's good if you already are a big Morrissey fan.

Well, that's me out, then, because I like the Smiths in spite of Morrissey. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

The problem with that kind of 'criticism' is that it is a pretty transparently a way to attack the people who enjoy the media. The actual criticisms range from meaningless accusations of racism (there was a black character; this is bad), sexism (there was a female character; this is bad) to misjudged criticism that can only come from a deliberate misreading of the text (the main character is a bourgeois rear end in a top hat with no problems, despite being an abused child living in a trailer park), or blatant retardation (the setting of the book is hopeless, and the characters don't try to make the world a better place. Apparently books should have disney messages in them).

this paragraph has so much to unpack, but I'm going to leave it right where it is and just note that you've actually managed to be worse at talking about books than Lamps, and that's quite an achievement.

(remember that Lamps' actual objection to Banks, inspiring his occasional threadshitting on the subject, is not that it is space fiction, but [this page on] that his space fiction doesn't outline a revolutionary programme that gets us from the present day to his Utopia in sufficient clarity. worse yet, someone on the next page concurs that this is a good and valuable objection)

e: although mudkiper may be even worse still

divabot has a new favorite as of 13:33 on Oct 12, 2017