Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I'm looking for a game with a world like Blade Runner/Shadowrun/Deus Ex. Grimy, rainy, soaked in neon. Cybernetics and magic, preferably open world or an rpg. Suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Retardog posted:

I'm looking for a game with a world like Blade Runner/Shadowrun/Deus Ex. Grimy, rainy, soaked in neon. Cybernetics and magic, preferably open world or an rpg. Suggestions?

Transistor, Satelite Reign, E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy (lol)

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Retardog posted:

Just to get the obvious out of the way, have you played Hairbrained Schemes' Shadowrun games?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

Just to get the obvious out of the way, have you played Hairbrained Schemes' Shadowrun games?

If not, don't bother with the 1st one, go straight to Dragonfall.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

If not, don't bother with the 1st one, go straight to Dragonfall.

I haven't done Dragonfall, but I wasn't that impressed with Shadowrun Returns. It was way too linear and it seemed every scene was just clicking on the highlighted item and checking all the conversation boxes.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Retardog posted:

I haven't done Dragonfall, but I wasn't that impressed with Shadowrun Returns. It was way too linear and it seemed every scene was just clicking on the highlighted item and checking all the conversation boxes.

Dragonfall and Hong Kong are LIGHTYEARS better. Give Dragonfall a shot. I felt the same about SR, but Dragonfall is one of my favorite crpgs in years.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Dragonfall and Hong Kong are LIGHTYEARS better. Give Dragonfall a shot. I felt the same about SR, but Dragonfall is one of my favorite crpgs in years.

Alrighty, I'll start there. Thanks for the recommendations!

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Retardog posted:

It's an old game but Dreamweb is my fondest memory of a cyberpunk game ever. It's an adventure game you can play with a walkthrough but I never found a game which managed to nail the cyberpunk atmosphere so well.

While we wait for cdprojekt cyberpunk

e: since it's an old dos game you'll probably need dosbox and certainly the manual. It's not on GOG but easy to find in abadonware. It's definitely worth the effort. It's basically an interactive Philip K Dick novel.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 9, 2017

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Just to throw more behind this sentiment; I don't mind Returns for what it is, but it's a very weak entry; Dragonfall dwarfs it in every respect, and Hong Kong blows both of them away.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

Just to throw more behind this sentiment; I don't mind Returns for what it is, but it's a very weak entry; Dragonfall dwarfs it in every respect, and Hong Kong blows both of them away.

Yeah, it's really great to see them learn from each entry and improve on the next.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Retardog posted:

Not an RPG, but JYDGE and Neon Chrome are both quite fun

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

credburn posted:

Hey dudes, I recently found out I'm autistic and with that diagnosis it's made me realize the things that appeal to me fall into certain themes and I'm looking for more of them, but it's difficult for me to properly articulate it, so I will provide examples.

Recently, my favorite game is Realm Grinder. I just played 80 hours of Dragon Quest VII, I'm currently playing Bravely Default. I like games that have constant progression, like Binding of Isaac or Rogue Legacy. I prefer turn-based games. I need a story to go with it. I like pretty much any platform, or setting. I like things to be unlocked. I especially enjoy games that have like...specialty classes where you can only unlock them after you've unlocked two previous types or something like that. I like games that allow for wildly different builds. I've played all the Elder Scrolls games...they kinda did what I'm talking about. I've played all of the Fallouts, the Final Fantasies, XCom. I've played a ton of games.
Tales of Maj'Eyal hits quite a few of the things you're asking for. It's a fairly traditional turn-based roguelike, but has a really great tileset and interface, the best I've seen in the genre. It follows a linear story with loads and loads of world information and lore if that's your bag, and there are a ridiculous amount of unlockable races/classes which are all unlocked in varied and interesting ways - for example, one class is the Temporal Warden (timecop) who can only be unlocked by doing a special time rift dungeon, and another class is the Paradox Mage (Doctor Who or something I guess, it's insanely fun) who can only be unlocked by going to a certain place as a Temporal Warden and fighting your evil time clone.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
TOME is loving excellent and everyone should try it. You can get it free from its website and if you like it there's a bunch of extra stuff if you buy it (e.g. on Steam), so there's no excuse not to try it.

exotarih
Apr 10, 2013
Are there any cool, recent, (very) grindy games around? Preferably turn-based, since I currently only have one arm at my disposal ...

I don't mind ASCII, terminal-based games, etc.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

exotarih posted:

Are there any cool, recent, (very) grindy games around? Preferably turn-based, since I currently only have one arm at my disposal ...

- Battle Brothers
- Caves of Qud
- Dungeonmans
- Tangledeep
- Golden Krone Hotel
- Operation Abyss (do you like dungeon crawlers)
- Demon roguelike

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

exotarih posted:

Cogmind is perfect, and if you want grindy you'll definitely want Elona+. Survival turn based games, which are similarly grindy in a different way like Cataclysm:DDA and UnReal World are also available. The latter three games are three, UnReal World does lock the latest version behind a paywall though. Cogmind is paid, but is REALLY good.

exotarih
Apr 10, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

you'll definitely want Elona+.

StrixNebulosa posted:

- Caves of Qud

Elona+ and Caves of Qud both look awesome, thanks for the suggestions!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

exotarih posted:

Disgaea.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

exotarih posted:

Divinity Original Sin 2 just came out on PC and has very deep turn-based combat with extensive roleplaying that will consume many hours of your time.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

StrixNebulosa posted:

...Hi, I'm sore about this because I finally know what I am and these jerks writing the official books somehow think that aspergers = high functioning autism and they're different. But that's a chat for a different thread, so!

Hey, I suppose this isn't exactly the most appropriate place for this, but I don't have private messaging, you don't have an e-mail listed, but I'm new to autism (well, obviously I'm not new to it, but I'm new to identifying with it) and would really like to talk to you about it. Would you drop me an e-mail? calvinredburn@gmail.com

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

credburn posted:

Hey, I suppose this isn't exactly the most appropriate place for this, but I don't have private messaging, you don't have an e-mail listed, but I'm new to autism (well, obviously I'm not new to it, but I'm new to identifying with it) and would really like to talk to you about it. Would you drop me an e-mail? calvinredburn@gmail.com

Email sent! You should probably edit out your email now.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

exotarih posted:

Darkest dungeon.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I haven't played a survival horror type of game in AGES, and want to get back into it. I remember liking Dead Space well enough, but I'm not really in the mood for sci-fi space stuff. Something like a modern version of Nocturne is more what I'm looking for I think?

e: For PC.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Evil Within 2 is coming out in two days if you want to see how reviews for that go?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

sean10mm posted:

I haven't played a survival horror type of game in AGES, and want to get back into it. I remember liking Dead Space well enough, but I'm not really in the mood for sci-fi space stuff. Something like a modern version of Nocturne is more what I'm looking for I think?

e: For PC.
there's always the Resident Evil 1 remake which is cheap and modernised. Holds up brilliantly and looks amazing

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What are some good fantasy games that are like, a typical rpg world where you play a role other than the adventuring heroes? Like reccetear where you're playing an item shop manager and sell equipment to heroes, or crystal chronicles: my life as a king or majesty where you play as the king that sends heroes out on quests.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

What are some good fantasy games that are like, a typical rpg world where you play a role other than the adventuring heroes? Like reccetear where you're playing an item shop manager and sell equipment to heroes, or crystal chronicles: my life as a king or majesty where you play as the king that sends heroes out on quests.

Bit of a stretch, but in Rune Factory you are a farmer.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

Overlord, maybe? You're still going out adventuring, just in an edgy evil way.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 12, 2017

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Really Pants posted:

Overlord, maybe? You're still going out adventuring, just in an edgy evil way.

On that note, Tyranny.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

ninjewtsu posted:

Guild of Dungeoneering? A sort of card game where you build the dungeon around heroes so they don't kill themselves by their ineptitude.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
Been having a surprising amount of fun with Counterspy, despite a few niggling flaws. What other period Cold War / M.A.D. games are there out there these days? I've played NOLF and NOLF 2 and MGS3 to death, and Papers Please, and Defcon, but I'm sure there must be others.

e; oh man, Phantom Doctrine looks awesome - but it's not out til next year. :(

Flopstick fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 12, 2017

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Command and Conquer: Red Alert, sort of

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

I think Fantasy Life on the DS fits the bill. I didn't play it myself, but it's been described to me as living life as a fantasy world tradesperson.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

If you want to go this far back there's the Legend of the River King series for various iterations of Gameboy which is a JRPG about fishing. You're trying to restore peace to the world by catching legendary magical fish and cutting jewels out of them.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Flopstick posted:

Been having a surprising amount of fun with Counterspy, despite a few niggling flaws. What other period Cold War / M.A.D. games are there out there these days? I've played NOLF and NOLF 2 and MGS3 to death, and Papers Please, and Defcon, but I'm sure there must be others.

Twilight Struggle.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Malt posted:

Twilight Struggle.

Oh yes, nice! Ta.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I bought this silly game on Steam called PWND. It doesn't have the playerbase to even really be able to play it, but I love the movement (very Quake-like, bunny hop momentum, can jump off walls) and the fact that every weapon is basically variations on rocket launchers. It's described as a rocket arena game. I've heard the term "rocket arena' thrown around forever, and despite sinking a lot of time into Quake and UT and all that over the years, I never really got into the mod scene. So I don't know anything about Rocket Arena, if that is or was a thing, and what the state of that subgenre is, if it even warrants the term.

So what I'm asking is, is there a modern rocket arena game or mod that is still played?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Flopstick posted:

Evil Genius?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Flopstick posted:

World in Conflict is amazing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfiV7LKjfh4

Edit: maybe Metal Gear Solid V too?

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Flopstick posted:

Tropic, CoD Black Ops.

1979 Revolution is indirectly related to the Cold War too.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 13, 2017