Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Shaming is entirely worth it though. I've got a dude called Oblug the branded, he's an orc slave that I provoked and let kill me. I sent him a death threat, then went to recruit him.

Whoops, he's a level too high for me and talks about how being a captain means nothing because everyone knows he was a slave (because of the big rear end brand on his head).

I shame him because I want to make him a overlord and the next time I see him, he's just saying in this confused, pained voice "where is it, where is iiiiiiiiiit?" over and over again. I felt sorry for him, so I made him my bodyguard. Once I took a fortress, I made him a general (not the overlord, i'm worried that he'll tear the place apart looking for it, whatever it is).

I'm sorry Oblug, I hope you find what you're looking for :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I had an orc I wanted to recruit but he was too high level so I shamed him. He became "the unashamed" and his level stayed the same so I had to shame him again. Now he's Deranged and instead of a greeting he just stares at you for 30 seconds.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

RatHat posted:

I had an orc I wanted to recruit but he was too high level so I shamed him. He became "the unashamed" and his level stayed the same so I had to shame him again. Now he's Deranged and instead of a greeting he just stares at you for 30 seconds.

You can also get a "maniac" which raises their level.

By a loving ton, too. Some guy in my first fortress zone is level 53, the next closest level orc is 30 levels below him. Do levels do anything aside from occasionally give a trait and gate off recruitment though? Is it a trait every five levels or some poo poo? More damage? It's not clear.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Speaking just from watching but the whole shaming thing is kind of loving me up a lot. It turns Talion from being an rear end in a top hat with magic mind powers into a full fledged villain.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fighting Pits are good.
You get to level up your followers for free while watching orc wresting and even if your follower dies you can just jump down there and brand whoever killed him instead.

It's a victory either way.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

Speaking just from watching but the whole shaming thing is kind of loving me up a lot. It turns Talion from being an rear end in a top hat with magic mind powers into a full fledged villain.

"I don't want the fort. I don't want the fort. I never wanted the fort."

:(

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Has anyone seen a uruk come back from being beheaded? Or is it only Ologs?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Josef bugman posted:

I feel like that's exactly where this story is headed.

I agree with what someone said earlier, I hope the third game is us playing someone different and going after Talion. No idea how they'd keep the Nemesis system up without the new guy being just as bad. Maybe an orc freedom fighter?! Actually that would work pretty well...since Talion brands his followers the guy you play can just learn magic that undoes the branding and earns their loyalty that way.

Also I just found out that we can assault our own fortresses in online mode which makes me happy. I was just thinking that I kinda like the setup I have going and was wishing I could take it for a spin myself.

Viridiant fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Oct 12, 2017

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Fighting Pits are good.
You get to level up your followers for free while watching orc wresting and even if your follower dies you can just jump down there and brand whoever killed him instead.

It's a victory either way.

How do you get this going?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Brasseye posted:

Finish the first area of Act II.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The game refuses to let me upgrade my god drat Ring of Vengeance and it's pissing me off.
I shamed 3 vendetta targets in a row already, just loving recognize one of them already.

Brasseye posted:

Those get unlocked in regions that you control.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Viridiant posted:

Finish the first area of Act II.

You technically just need to claim the fort, you don't need to do the other missions.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I have claimed my first non-Bruz captain and he is Pug the Bard and he sings songs. This was a good idea.

Actually Pug kinda sucks but with singing being a seemingly rare thing I feel like I wanna do my best to max him out somehow. He wields dual repeating crossbows which is pretty cool.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Getting hit by a stun attack totally drains all of your Might and the game never tells you that.
Even friendly captains can throw one of those stun bombs, hit you and drain your full Might bar.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Here's an interesting build that I'm using:
4 Bright Lord pieces, 2 Vengeance pieces, Bright Lord's Wrath skill upgrade (gives you Wrath on a Drain).

Elven Rage gives you full Might which lets you use 2 Drain Finishers
Vengeance set bonus lets you use 2 more Drain Finishers by using your HP.
4 Drain Finishers gives you full Wraith Bar.
Repeat.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Ok so I got to the second area and everything was loving kicking my rear end. I learn how to death threaten captains so I do that on a nice little level 8 Captain. Somehow he boosts up to level 12 and his Nemesis mission is to loving kill 5 of his ologs. Dude's in a huge outpost filled to the brim with orcs and ologs. On my way there I run into an Olog captain, something the Pain Seeker so I run like a little bitch and make my way into the outpost. Surrounded by ologs, I just dodge and randomly attack using wraith world to try to locate environmental hazards. I finally take down a shitload of uruks and ologs so my first captain shows up. He's a beastmaster who can summon caragors and fully heal them randomly. Chaos ensues.
I manage to break and ride a Caragor so I'm running around swinging wildly and making random poo poo explode in fire and poison. I finally take down the captain and somehow that terrorizes the Pain Seeker captain who was outside. I run after him and spend 15 minutes randomly riding and stabbing him and executing him until finally the fucker dies.
I get an orange armor and knife off of the ordeal. A good trip.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Has anyone used Hammers much? I found one but didn't like the low damage.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
You know that ledge stealth kill where Elfbro pops out and shanks the target for you? I got shot by some pursuing orks while that was happening and fell off the ledge while Kelly was killing up there. I could only imagine him finishing his perfectly executed assassination, looking down at me sprawled in a pile of vengeful orks, sighing, and vanishing back inside me.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

RatHat posted:

Similar thing. But then the blood-brother of the deranged orc ambushed me and said that his bro was a shadow of his former self and that it's time for revenge.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm currently dying constantly to a legendary hunter because every time I go after him, 3 more captains spawn. I was playing during my lunch break, so instead of running I just went in swinging.

I've killed a few of the captains, but an olog-hai killed me and became a commander (of other olog-hai), so i've sent that guy his way and i'll reinforce the mission with a few more uruks to make sure. gently caress this dude.

skateboardjesus
Oct 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I did an online conquest where the defending captains were the moaner, the screamer and the overlord was a bard. They were easy to beat but I did appreciate that the guy knew what the true joys in the game are and set it up accordingly.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Walrus Pete posted:

I feel like I'm probably missing something obvious, but what can Talion do un-assisted (ie, no bodyguards/beasts/explosions) against a shield captain with vault breaker and ranged immunity? Fucker showed up during a story mission and I had no intel on him, so no fears to exploit, and he couldn't even be directly attacked. Luckily I was allowed to summon my bodyguard during that mission and that dude lights people on fire like it's his job (because it is).

The second augment for the double jump skill lets you teleport behind guys instead of dodging when you have Focus, it helps with annoying guys like that.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Orcs with a warrior or archer gang seem to make poor bodyguards since their posse does not seem to spawn when you use them as guard. Which is especially bad in fortress fights.

Does this only happen in my game ?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I love the fighting pits. There's something fun about watching AI fight. From DOOM to VGCW. I wish there was a Salty Bet style stream that just let me watch Orcs and Trolls fight each other all day.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Hey, Gruz the Hell-Hawk, remember how I sliced off your arm last time, and you came back with it crudely stitched back into place? Enjoy getting both arms chopped off this time, motherfucker. I can't wait to see how you recover from this one :allears:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I completed a Vendetta against an Orc this morning. He started as "The Armorer," and like an armorer, he was covered in armor. I killed him with an explosion, and not 10 minutes later he shows up again for revenge as "The Flame of War." Now he's practically naked and covered in burn scars, I killed him again.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

The Lone Badger posted:

A charged Headshot with a hammer will knock dudes down, so they can be handy.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

I completed a Vendetta against an Orc this morning. He started as "The Armorer," and like an armorer, he was covered in armor. I killed him with an explosion, and not 10 minutes later he shows up again for revenge as "The Flame of War." Now he's practically naked and covered in burn scars, I killed him again.

:respek:

Yeah I've run into this guy a few times too. Does he also call you "little moth?"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

All the captains having Might draining attacks is really starting to get on my nerves.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Noooopppeeeee.

I know who I'm shaming into a gibbering mess next at least.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Lone Badger posted:

I have one that has a high chance of setting dudes on fire on a headshot. That plus the knockdown on a headshot and the AoE on a fully-charged attack make it worth the lower damage.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ninjahedgehog posted:

:respek:

Yeah I've run into this guy a few times too. Does he also call you "little moth?"

I didn't notice that, but maybe next time I will?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

I didn't notice that, but maybe next time I will?

Yeah, he had this whole extended metaphor about "a moth being drawn to the flame" but maybe he picked a different tortured analogy for you.

Either way, good luck: my guy teleports around the battlefield in a puff of smoke like Nightcrawler and he's a pain in the rear end to pin down.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

McTimmy posted:

Sadly, the Captain fight ended right after the watcher appeared so I didn't have time to see.

Just started the game, same thing happened to me, lol. Was watching a capain fight another captain, waiting for the moment to strike when this Stalker guy popped up and said "they don't see you, huh? WELL, I DO" and had to fight him instead of doing my initial Duel mission.

Afterwards a guy with juggalo facepaint approached and laughed at me, then ran off. So far the variety of orc powers and niches has been way better than the first game. They set down traps, have a lot of different weapons and styles, cooler outfits, etc. They also adapt very fast; I've had many of them evolve to counter my leapfrogging. So far Nemesis difficulty is kicking my loving rear end and I love it, I think I died like 5 times in the first hour and a half to captains before getting intel and striking them out.

I actually feel like I NEED to use more skills and powers, unlike the first game. It owns having a real challenge now because anything, at least in the beginning, will legit own you.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How do you get gold currency for crates without buying

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Holy poo poo, has anyone done the Helm Hammerhead fight? I just reached that point and it's the first time I found something I wasn't able to do on Nemesis, no matter what I tried (and I tried for over two hours). That was a god awful fight and even on normal I think I only won by getting lucky at having fewer dodges into some other blast than any real sense of skill.

Edit:

Phi230 posted:

How do you get gold currency for crates without buying

Complete daily challenges. Some of them reward gold currency.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
How do you get daily challenges, mine just always says they are completed

MinorRed
Jul 27, 2011

Piell posted:

How do you get daily challenges, mine just always says they are completed

The community challenges are weekly, not daily.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Other than through gasp, boo, hiss, microtransactions, is there another way of getting golden coins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Calaveron posted:

Other than through gasp, boo, hiss, microtransactions, is there another way of getting golden coins

Challenges, Vendettas, and Online Fortress Assaults all sometimes have gold as a reward.

• Locked thread