Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If it revved up massively but then cut back down when you dipped the clutch, it could be the anti-stall going totally batshit in combination with other faults, especially if you were trying to be really delicate with how you drove it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump
Jan 19, 2006

InitialDave posted:

If it revved up massively but then cut back down when you dipped the clutch, it could be the anti-stall going totally batshit in combination with other faults, especially if you were trying to be really delicate with how you drove it.

That makes some sense considering the first time it went mad I was feathering the throttle up a hill. I had been using the floor it to near redline in first as you approach the hill then feather throttle to balance momentum and traction on the way up and hope you don't run out of puff approach.

CommieGIR posted:

Taking bets on the bearings are well hosed even if it is running.

Oh aye. I wonder how it will drive tomorrow when is cold. Thankfully I've only got about 150-200 miles before I return it and it isn't my problem. I could have swapped it out for another van but it would have made a 100 mile drive into a 200 mile drive so gently caress it.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradvice/honestjohn/6616565/Diesel-engines-revving-uncontrollably.html

DPF systems dumps extra diesel into the cylinders, causes high oil level, causes runaway. That explains it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

um excuse me posted:

Not to downplay the seriousness off throwing a tire off a vehicle, but lug centric wheels make huge loving racket when the lugs loosen up. Bearings make noticeable amounts of noise when they start to go, not as much as lugs, but noticeable. But these are the ones on the vehicle you drive. I imagine you could miss quite a bit on a trailer before being loud enough to hear.

I was headed north several years back, had just changed from snow tires to summers. Thought I heard something funny, it got louder, to the point where there was a helicopter hovering over my car. Stopped, and checked wheel lugs. They were quite loose. Tightened them up, continued on my way. Helicopter also left.

Lesson I learned: retorque wheels. I actually keep a torque wrench on my car at all times now. Comes in quite handy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

wesleywillis posted:

I was headed north several years back, had just changed from snow tires to summers. Thought I heard something funny, it got louder, to the point where there was a helicopter hovering over my car. Stopped, and checked wheel lugs. They were quite loose. Tightened them up, continued on my way. Helicopter also left.

Lesson I learned: retorque wheels. I actually keep a torque wrench on my car at all times now. Comes in quite handy.

Reminds me of an experience I had a while back

I was riding my motorcycle through the suburbs at a reasonable speed, nothing fancy or stressful. Suddenly I heard this awful metallic banging, pinging noise, like a horrible case of detonation and backfiring, or like pieces of my bike were falling off and bouncing down the road. I immediately snapped the throttle closed and looked down -- no, the chain is still attached, there's no smoke coming out of the exhaust, the wheels look fine...

...then I noticed the high school marching band in the parking lot beside me, practicing on their drums and xylophones.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

wesleywillis posted:

Reminds me of driving up Rt 611 (York Rd) through Willow Grove, PA. I'm tooling along, minding my own business, when there is this sudden vibration - a heavy thrum - out the rearview mirror is all a-blur. Then: a heavy drone sets in. I come off the gas, thinking I've blown a U-joint on the driveshaft ('65 MoPar; happens all the time) or I'm about to throw a rod. Or a tire is coming off. Maybe a wheel.

The drone changes pitch a little, and a shadow passes over me. It's a Lockheed Orion, on final to Willow Grove Naval Air Station.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

stump posted:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradvice/honestjohn/6616565/Diesel-engines-revving-uncontrollably.html

DPF systems dumps extra diesel into the cylinders, causes high oil level, causes runaway. That explains it.

I always assumed they injected it into the DPF itself, unless you're purposely injecting in the engine on the exhaust stroke.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

DJ Commie posted:

I always assumed they injected it into the DPF itself, unless you're purposely injecting in the engine on the exhaust stroke.

The first one involves more parts and the second one increases the chance of bearing failure past 70-100k miles due to gradual oil thinning.

Guess which manufacturers went with.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Checked the oil today.... 2cm above the max on the dipstick. Switched it out for a new van before it blew up.

Edit: It started this morning with no EML :confused: It then ran the exhaust cleaning routine twice in a 45 min drive to get a new van.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

PainterofCrap posted:

Reminds me of driving up Rt 611 (York Rd) through Willow Grove, PA. I'm tooling along, minding my own business, when there is this sudden vibration - a heavy thrum - out the rearview mirror is all a-blur. Then: a heavy drone sets in. I come off the gas, thinking I've blown a U-joint on the driveshaft ('65 MoPar; happens all the time) or I'm about to throw a rod. Or a tire is coming off. Maybe a wheel.

The drone changes pitch a little, and a shadow passes over me. It's a Lockheed Orion, on final to Willow Grove Naval Air Station.

Same thing happened to me outside of Malmstrom once. I'm not sure what the plane was, but it took a long moment to realize it wasn't something inside my car trying to rattle its way to oblivion.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

stump posted:

Checked the oil today.... 2cm above the max on the dipstick. Switched it out for a new van before it blew up.

Edit: It started this morning with no EML :confused: It then ran the exhaust cleaning routine twice in a 45 min drive to get a new van.

Chances are people are not getting it up to speed enough for the DPF to clean often enough, which can cause the DPF to start to act wonky.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

Chances are people are not getting it up to speed enough for the DPF to clean often enough, which can cause the DPF to start to act wonky.
In a white van? Are you loving serious?

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

InitialDave posted:

In a white van? Are you loving serious?

morethanjake32
Apr 5, 2009
My horrible mechanical failure was the rental Elantra with 35k on the clock that had the (probably) Ac compressor seize and throw the serpentine belt an hour outside of Vegas. Luckily I limped it to a truck stop in the middle of nowhere.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I drive a white van for living. Can confirm, I try to break the sound barrier between every delivery.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I haven't dealt with a DPFs in a few years, apparently some have gotten better, but most of the ones i ran into either required the vehicle to be stopped or over ~60kph for 45 minutes, to run a full regen cycle, something a delivery van wouldn't often do.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Powershift posted:

I haven't dealt with a DPFs in a few years, apparently some have gotten better, but most of the ones i ran into either required the vehicle to be stopped or over ~60kph for 45 minutes, to run a full regen cycle, something a delivery van wouldn't often do.

We found that on the 09 diesel Cruze it was better to change down to 4th gear otherwise you wouldn't have enough revs to get the process to complete at legal speeds.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.

just an experimental Russian mud sub.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Puddin posted:

I drive a white van for living. Can confirm, I try to break the sound barrier between every delivery.

How's the speaker business?

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Can we post upcoming failures?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

He should have used hockey pucks to fill the gap.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Structural Jam-Nuts.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
I read on FB OSHA chat that the lift stand-off pic was a joke/hoax?

edit... i read that on the AI FB page comments.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

The helicopter was my loose wheel.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I know a guy that was driving along at just the right speed to stay in the direct path of a rotating tornado siren and he thought the van was disintegrating around him.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Colostomy Bag posted:

How's the speaker business?

Are you interested in a full system. The boss ordered too many of them and said I have to get rid of them!

E: I actually deliver pizza boxes and food packaging, so the speed of delivery matches the speed and care of the items once they are full and being delivered to customers.

Gotta keep it consistent.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Last weekend was bad for B16s at my local track.

I did this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVmkqAC5QfA

But a friend did this:

VTEC :toot:

Tried to find the piece of block later that night during a track walk, nowhere to be found.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

How the gently caress? Money shift?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Is it gonna be okay? :ohdear:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Powershift posted:

Sure, they just need to, uh...straighten the, um...you know, and the put the... :ohdear:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Quick, weld a tag axle under the thing, nobody will notice.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Powershift posted:

It's going to the big Honda farm upstate, where they'll nurse it back to health and let it run free.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Sure, they just need to, uh...straighten the, um...you know, and the put the... :ohdear:

We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better... Stonger... but probably not faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_doBwALJ5Q

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/Rbv41TK.mp4

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Why was someone filming that so specifically? "Hey, drive slowly past me so I can make a cool video of the front suspension falling apart and ruining your car!"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Why was someone filming that so specifically? "Hey, drive slowly past me so I can make a cool video of the front suspension falling apart and ruining your car!"

Pretty much that, yeah. It may have seemed like they were getting hydraulic like jumping for cheap and then suddenly expensive.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

I have many questions.
First: Why are the interior and areas under the body panels painted in Soviet-Bloc aviation turquoise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

TotalLossBrain posted:

I have many questions.
First: Why are the interior and areas under the body panels painted in Soviet-Bloc aviation turquoise?

You completely overlooked the purple driving gloves.