Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

mrlego posted:

This problem has been confounding me for a while. Thanks!

Np. Canon should make this more apparent in the manual I guess because it comes up all the time in various places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

timrenzi574 posted:

Np. Canon should make this more apparent in the manual I guess because it comes up all the time in various places.

It's literally on the page about using external speedlights.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Helen Highwater posted:

Yeah but who actually reads camera manuals :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The canon manuals are particularly bad because they have physically small pages and half of every page is footnotes or legalese warnings.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Helen Highwater posted:

I know it's there (I referenced the page in my original post) - I just think the footnote format of it must be something that's easily overlooked by people because I see this question pop up on forums constantly. So obviously it's getting missed - if you're doing documentation and a large portion of your audience is missing out on the message, you have to find a better way to deliver the message, not blame the audience for not paying closer attention.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I'm able to use every other feature of the camera with complete confidence and I didn't know about that one detail until I posted in the thread. So yeah, Canon could make things more clear.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Does Canon typically offer sales on its refurbs around the holidays? Looking at the 5D Mk IV specifically.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Does Canon typically offer sales on its refurbs around the holidays? Looking at the 5D Mk IV specifically.

they do additional discounts on refurbs constantly, holidays or no. just keep an eye on the site for the next one and hope there's some in stock when it comes.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Bubbacub posted:

I'm able to use every other feature of the camera with complete confidence and I didn't know about that one detail until I posted in the thread. So yeah, Canon could make things more clear.

Seriously. I think I've answered it in this thread before, and I know I've answered it for a couple dozen people in other places as well. Maybe I have customer service brain , but if the audience is missing the message you're trying to convey, you need to do a better job conveying it.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Where else can it be shown though? It's literally on the page about using external speedlights. It's not like it's on a page about some obscure UI function that you wouldn't connect with the issue. I write technical documents all the time, I'm fully aware of the difficulties of cross-linking information and providing all the details without overloading the reader with too much information. I really don't think the Canon manual falls down here.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

Helen Highwater posted:

Where else can it be shown though? It's literally on the page about using external speedlights.

When using WiFi on the 6D and trying to process RAW files, the camera informs me that I cannot do both at the same time. This is a very forward thinking way of letting the user know what is going on and why some features don't work at the moment.

Maybe there is some 21st century way of informing lazy people of stuff in-camera.

I honestly thought my camera didn't do flash with Live view and didn't investigate further because, logically why wouldn't a flash trigger?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
The RAW and Wifi issue is something that's completely controlled by the camera - both of those settings are in a state known to the OS and it can trigger a warning if they are in conflict. Unless your remote trigger communicates back to the camera (and any that don't support TTL won't), then the camera has no knowledge of the external speedlight. So, either it's going to pop that warning up every time you enter live view or it's not going to be able to tell you at all.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Helen Highwater posted:

The RAW and Wifi issue is something that's completely controlled by the camera - both of those settings are in a state known to the OS and it can trigger a warning if they are in conflict.

can you link to the source code lines for this tia

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

can you link to the source code lines for this tia

How would the OS not know whether the onboard WiFi was enabled when the user attempts to access the RAW processing functions?

It clearly does track the status of those things because it pops up a warning when they are in conflict. Same as when you have WiFi on and try to switch to video mode.

Helen Highwater fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 12, 2017

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

Helen Highwater posted:

How would the OS not know whether the onboard WiFi was enabled when the user attempts to access the RAW processing functions?

It clearly does track the status of those things because it pops up a warning when they are in conflict. Same as when you have WiFi on and try to switch to video mode.

*Whoosh!*

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
I was looking at a refurb 5D Mark IV body and it comes with a "Miniature EOS 5D Mark IV 24-70 Kit". What the heck is that?

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

Drewski posted:

I was looking at a refurb 5D Mark IV body and it comes with a "Miniature EOS 5D Mark IV 24-70 Kit". What the heck is that?

Link?

Sounds like magic.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Drewski posted:

USB drive if it's anything like the one they did for the mk3. the flash drive is in the lens, you pop it off the body and the usb connector is sticking out of the end of the lens

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

timrenzi574 posted:

USB drive if it's anything like the one they did for the mk3. the flash drive is in the lens, you pop it off the body and the usb connector is sticking out of the end of the lens

So, like, it's a novelty lens that's actually a USB drive? It's a real lens but the images are stored in a USB drive in the lens body?

I don't grok this...

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

President Beep posted:

So, like, it's a novelty lens that's actually a USB drive? It's a real lens but the images are stored in a USB drive in the lens body?

I don't grok this...

I think its a USB drive that looks like a miniature 5D Mk IV camera with a miniature 24-70 lens (like the one that comes with the real 5DMkIV) Neither the miniature lens nor the miniature camera work; it's just a USB drive.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

joat mon posted:

I think its a USB drive that looks like a miniature 5D Mk IV camera with a miniature 24-70 lens (like the one that comes with the real 5DMkIV) Neither the miniature lens nor the miniature camera work; it's just a USB drive.

Thanks. I put two and two together about three minutes after I made that post and sorted it out for myself. Rather than edit though I figured I'd take my lumps by letting someone less dense than me explain.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Helen Highwater posted:

i was gently calling you out yes but if you're going to double down...

please explain to the class what an operating system is. show that the camera in question has an operating system. tell us the name of the operating system that runs on said camera. show (via proof, or chapter-and-verse source code reference, or other method for which you can provide reasoning for equivalence) that the operating system that you claim runs on the camera has "states" and that the "states" for the functions you claim are things that the operating system "knows" about. and i'm sure you'll use industry-standard debugging systems in your explanation, so you might as well share which tools you used and the versions thereof

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.

mrlego posted:

Link?

Sounds like magic.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-5d-mark-iv-body-refurbished, though it seems I'm late.

Thanks for the answer folks!

Drewski fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 20, 2017

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i was gently calling you out yes but if you're going to double down...

please explain to the class what an operating system is. show that the camera in question has an operating system. tell us the name of the operating system that runs on said camera. show (via proof, or chapter-and-verse source code reference, or other method for which you can provide reasoning for equivalence) that the operating system that you claim runs on the camera has "states" and that the "states" for the functions you claim are things that the operating system "knows" about. and i'm sure you'll use industry-standard debugging systems in your explanation, so you might as well share which tools you used and the versions thereof

Canon on their cameras' operating systems

quote:

An EOS camera is a mini-computer, complete with its own operating system. This system controls many of the functions within the camera.

DRYOS

quote:

DRYOS is a real-time operating system made by Canon and is used in their latest digital cameras and camcorders.

Since late 2007 DIGIC-based cameras are shipped using DryOS. It replaces VxWorks from Wind River Systems which has been used before on Digic2 (DIGIC II) and some Digic3 (DIGIC III) cameras. DryOS had existed before and was in use in other Canon hardware, such as digital video cameras and high-end webcams.

Why did you assume a DSLR didn't run an operating system?

My proof for the fact that the operating system has states is the observed behaviour that when two camera settings are in conflict, the camera is able to generate a warning message as described in this user feedback.

mrlego posted:

When using WiFi on the 6D and trying to process RAW files, the camera informs me that I cannot do both at the same time.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i was gently calling you out

For what purpose? She's entirely correct, so either you're arguing from a position of ignorance (in which case I suggest letting it go) or you're aware that she's correct and are arguing for the hell of it.

Either way, please stop making GBS threads up the thread.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

joat mon posted:

Yup. The "body" is the cap , the "lens" is the drive.

edit: here's the mk3 one

http://www.gadgetshunter.com/image/cache/data/USB%20Flash%20Drives/Official%20CANON%20EOS%205D%20Mark%20II%20Miniature%20USB%20Flash%20Drive-500x500.jpg

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Hello photo people. I have currently been using a Canon T3 Rebel with a 10-18mm lens for landscape photography. I like the wide angle lens since it lets me get all up in some landscape and still capture it. However, often my phone's HDR mode will get better looking photos in certain lighting conditions. (Motorola Moto Z Force. Sounds like something out of power rangers, I realize.) It gets great pictures, but doesn't get the whole angle like my 10-18mm lens does. Due to that, I am curious about upgrading to another Canon that has an automatic HDR mode built in.

So I suppose I have two questions here:
a) What Canon model(s) have an automatic HDR mode?
b) Are any of the above HDR Canons compatible with my current 10-18mm lens, or would another be necessary?

I take these pictures purely for fun and have no commercial interests riding on them. I enjoy taking pictures and dislike using photo editing programs, so I'm just looking to maximize my enjoyment and image quality a little. I do not plan on using the camera for anything other than landscape shots.

The Rat fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 21, 2017

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Most of the more modern Canon cameras have an auto HDR mode. From a quick check of the Canon site, it looks like all of the current models with the exception of the 1300D have it. You will be able to use your 10-18mm lens with any other Canon DSLR that you are likely to want to buy - you can't use it on the pro-level bodies but I somehow doubt that you are looking to drop $3k on a camera upgrade based on how you said you'll use the camera. You can also use it on the EOS-M series of cameras but you'll need an adapter.

It's important to realise what the difference is between 'auto-HDR' on your phone and 'auto-HDR' in a DSLR is however. On your phone, the camera software is applying a whole bunch of edits to a single image to boost contrast, clarity and saturation. This isn't HDR, it just makes the image pop and looks similar to the result you would get from a proper HDR composite. The Canon HDR mode however shoots three pictures one after the other and blends them (and then applies some extra processing on top), this gets you actual HDR rather than the HDR style that your phone produces, but it also means that you will need to hold still while the camera is taking the shots - the length of time that you will need will depend on the light levels.

I'm going to say however, that based on your fairly limited use case and the fact that you just want a finished image straight from the camera, that a DSLR is probably not the best choice for you. You'd probably get more utility in a smaller package from a mirrorless system that will have a whole bunch of presets that you can apply in the camera to get whatever result you want. Some of the fixed-lens systems go wide enough to cover the effective field of view of your 10-18 lens so you might be able to get everything that you want in a single package.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

It's important to realise what the difference is between 'auto-HDR' on your phone and 'auto-HDR' in a DSLR is however. On your phone, the camera software is applying a whole bunch of edits to a single image to boost contrast, clarity and saturation. This isn't HDR, it just makes the image pop and looks similar to the result you would get from a proper HDR composite.
Most phone auto-HDR solutions are using multiple exposures.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Fair enough, mine (LG G5) is just applying a filter AFAIK.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Thanks for that response! With all the options out there, it can get a bit confusing. (I'm not even sure what qualifies as a modern Canon; I think mine is about 4 years old at this point.)

I definitely wouldn't be opposed to the mirrorless camera, since it would be less weight and bulk on my back when hiking. (Not totally mandatory though, I can truck it, so gently caress it.) I do like having some degree adjustability rather than fixed though, since I can't always adjust my physical position relative to the landscape to get the ideal shot. The 10-18mm has served me well in that regard.

What site are you looking at as far as the model comparison? I've just been poking at B&H Photo by default since I've bought some lasers from there before. I was just looking at these two, but I'm not very clear if either will work for HDR purposes:
T7i body: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1318277-REG/canon_eos_rebel_t7i_dslr.html
M6 mirrorless body (compatible with my current lens?): https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1318278-REG/canon_eos_m6_mirrorless_digital.html

e: I should mention budget. Something around that $750ish range for a new body seems fine to me, especially if I can use my existing lens. I don't want to go too overboard on yet another potentially gear-heavy hobby.

The Rat fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 21, 2017

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Took my new (to me) 55-250 IS out for a spin this afternoon. After trying out the 75-300 I'd borrowed, I really prefer this lens as babby's first long-ish zoom. Compared to the 75-300, it seems like I don't get the same amount of color aberration/fuzziness, and the image stabilization is an added plus.

Untitled
by President Beep, on Flickr

This was also my first purchase from KEH, and it went well--the condition of the lens was as-listed, the price was good, and shipping was fast.

Looking forward to learning more with this thing.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

The Rat posted:

What site are you looking at as far as the model comparison? I've just been poking at B&H Photo by default since I've bought some lasers from there before. I was just looking at these two, but I'm not very clear if either will work for HDR purposes:
T7i body: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1318277-REG/canon_eos_rebel_t7i_dslr.html
M6 mirrorless body (compatible with my current lens?): https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1318278-REG/canon_eos_m6_mirrorless_digital.html

The 800D (t7i) and the M6 both have an in-camera HDR feature. You can use your existing lenses on the M6 but you'll need an adapter for it. The Canon adapter is $200, but there are third party ones for about $60.

I was looking at the Canon UK site to compare features.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Good to know about the T7i, thanks! Also thanks for the site link. I'm now comparing what Canon says has HDR mode to the general prices on B&H. My ideal is something I can plug my current lens into that doesn't break the bank, so I'll be comparing specs for the rest of the evening.

I'm planning another trip out to Utah next month, and I'll pick something up before then.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
The Rat takes gorgeous landscapes.
Also, each picture has a gun in it. Can you find it?

E: Maybe this link (and then "posts by this user") will work better?

joat mon fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 22, 2017

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

rolleyes posted:

For what purpose? She's entirely correct, so either you're arguing from a position of ignorance (in which case I suggest letting it go) or you're aware that she's correct and are arguing for the hell of it.

It is my understanding that one goal of this thread is to help people gain accurate understanding of Canon cameras. I was attempting to aid in this goal by pointing out that a claim regarding how certain internal aspects of a Canon camera works, without evidence such as official documentation or third-party reverse-engineering, may lead to frustration. Specifically, the following statement:

Helen Highwater posted:

The RAW and Wifi issue is something that's completely controlled by the camera - both of those settings are in a state known to the OS

makes large assumptions about the internal systems of Canon cameras. While I was unaware that Canon calls the camera firmware an operating system, I feel that this does not invalidate my pointing out that this statement may be inaccurate regardless of whether "the camera has an OS" and/or "it pops up a warning". The reality here is that, absent evidence showing that the above quote accurately describes the internal workings of: the camera hardware, the bits of software Canon calls "the camera OS", and any other software on the camera, I think it is better for the user of the camera to not make these assumptions. I take this position because, if these assumptions do turn out to be inaccurate, it may confuse or frustrate the user later on when trying to understand how other parts of the camera work, because their understanding of the camera's inner workings now rests on faulty assumptions. I feel that it is better to describe the camera's workings based on things such as what the user actually sees, and official documentation, rather than make speculative claims about specific internal workings of the camera.

I was extremely goony in my previous replies, yes. I understand completely if anyone took this to be an attempt at making GBS threads up the thread, and for that I apologize.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

It is my understanding that one goal of this thread is to help people gain accurate understanding of Canon cameras. I was attempting to aid in this goal by pointing out that a claim regarding how certain internal aspects of a Canon camera works, without evidence such as official documentation or third-party reverse-engineering, may lead to frustration. Specifically, the following statement:

makes large assumptions about the internal systems of Canon cameras. While I was unaware that Canon calls the camera firmware an operating system, I feel that this does not invalidate my pointing out that this statement may be inaccurate regardless of whether "the camera has an OS" and/or "it pops up a warning". The reality here is that, absent evidence showing that the above quote accurately describes the internal workings of: the camera hardware, the bits of software Canon calls "the camera OS", and any other software on the camera, I think it is better for the user of the camera to not make these assumptions. I take this position because, if these assumptions do turn out to be inaccurate, it may confuse or frustrate the user later on when trying to understand how other parts of the camera work, because their understanding of the camera's inner workings now rests on faulty assumptions. I feel that it is better to describe the camera's workings based on things such as what the user actually sees, and official documentation, rather than make speculative claims about specific internal workings of the camera.

I was extremely goony in my previous replies, yes. I understand completely if anyone took this to be an attempt at making GBS threads up the thread, and for that I apologize.

You're still being goony as gently caress and useless, and if you think "[electronic function] is something that's completely controlled by the camera and in a state known to the OS" is in any way a contentious statement then you should think about whether your understanding of technology is still stuck in the last millennium.

Every. loving. Electronic. Device. Is a computer running an OS that has internal states which it is aware of and some of which are based on settings and button presses by the user, and unless it's the buggiest piece of crapware running in a Chinese knockoff that's unusably broken from the factory they also control whether the user can set additional settings depending on those states. Every digital camera is a computer with some buttons and a light detector (plus extra detectors for battery level and gimmicks like face detection and whatever) as inputs and a screen + memory card as user-facing output (e: and which controls peripherals such as the shutter or the lens AF/IS, which themselves usually communicate back to the camera).

:toxx: that over 99% of digital camera sales volume (I won't say 100% because some hipster manufacturer selling $15000 artisanal cameras to ten rich nerds at a time might do something weird) is cameras that are adequately described by the above, and isn't built like ye olde Leica M3 with mechanical connections under buttons and/or completely separate electronics units that don't talk to each other.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 26, 2017

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -