Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Lone Goat posted:

What nights are you free? I can let you know the best places to drink and play pinball.

Thursday I’m guestlisted for the Pack AD show and other than that I’m pretty open. Send me a PM and we can grab a drink and go to tilt or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Tainen posted:

The stream is tomorrow. They had Cheon and Marshal play on Sunday at worlds if that is the one you are taking about.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TRrqDNXY4YQ

Turns out it was yesterday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIvWETsfUpA

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Yeah! I just watched it on the train ride home. Not too much new info. They showed a lot of the previous iterations of the tapping. Confirmed that booster drafting will be in at launch but couldn't commit to sealed. Again made sure to point out that Arena is a CCG and not a TCG.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Did some new Standard Abzan Tokens deck get posted online by a pro?

I played it like 4 times in a row just now

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
So I don't play much Magic anymore but I'm familiar with the rules. I'm completely unfamiliar with oldschool formats like legacy though .... just stumbled upon this guide to playing Belcher and this poo poo rules. It's really fun to see how the deck comes together. Any other weird/interesting/broken Legacy or Vintage decks that I should check out if I enjoyed that?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

goferchan posted:

So I don't play much Magic anymore but I'm familiar with the rules. I'm completely unfamiliar with oldschool formats like legacy though .... just stumbled upon this guide to playing Belcher and this poo poo rules. It's really fun to see how the deck comes together. Any other weird/interesting/broken Legacy or Vintage decks that I should check out if I enjoyed that?

Do you know how Dredge works?

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

goferchan posted:

* Storm tries to win in a fairly similar way to belcher (the last spell they cast is Tendrils of Agony but "make a ton of mana then kill you" is the plan in both decks) but gets to play cantrips and discard spells to make a perfect hand and beat countermagic.
* Sneak & Show and Reanimator variants can put a Griselbrand into play on the first or second turn, sometimes with Force of Will backup.
* Lands uses Life from the Loam to either blow up all your mana with wastelands or repeatedly create a 20/20 flying indestructible token on your end step.
* Elves creates a storm-esque combo engine with 1 mana 1/1 green creatures. It can do things like drawing two dozen cards then attacking for 100 damage on turn three.

Those are just the really popular ones, there are dozens more offbeat combo decks like Bomberman and Food Chain too.

uninverted fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 12, 2017

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

goferchan posted:

Read a primer on legacy or vintage dredge, or even the old Extended stuff for it. It will blow your loving mind.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

manaless dredge owns since it can win without playing a land or casting a spell

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Mezzanon posted:

Thursday I’m guestlisted for the Pack AD show and other than that I’m pretty open. Send me a PM and we can grab a drink and go to tilt or something?

I dunno what Pack AD is but sent you a PM~

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Elyv posted:

manaless dredge owns since it can win without playing a land or casting a spell

yeah but it's not "real magic".

I hate that argument.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Rinkles posted:

yeah but it's not "real magic".

I hate that argument.

I mean, it isn't. That's why dredge is so cool, it basically goes at the whole game backwards.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Beelzebub posted:

I don't know what's going on but it's not a billing issue. It's probably 2 parts me being stupid and 1 part Hostineer being lovely. Below is where I'm trying to send you...

http://www.joshhass.com/shop.html

Awesome work!

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

uninverted posted:

* Elves creates a storm-esque combo engine with 1 mana 1/1 green creatures. It can do things like drawing two dozen cards then attacking for 100 damage on turn three.

I'd like to know more about this

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Omar al-Bishie posted:

I'd like to know more about this

Look up Nettle Sentinel, Heritage Druid, Craterhoof Behemoth and Glimpse of Nature. That's basically it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

My favorite wonky combo decks might be the old Modern Infect Shoal and Bloom Titan decks. Give me a stupid Tolaria West tutoring engine anyday, and also I like that Titan actually cares about the body on Primeval Titan

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Balon posted:

I backed the John Avon un-art playmat kickstarter so I'll be using beautiful land art playmats moving forward.

I haven't played Magic in years, haven't played a paper ccg in years, no idea why I even checked this thread.

But I saw this post and ran to kickstarter with cash in hand...

only to find the campaign had concluded, there's no way to follow it, and the faq just points to backerkit which points back to the kickstarter :mad:

Help me give you money Jonn Avon, I want to give you money.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

victrix posted:

I haven't played Magic in years, haven't played a paper ccg in years, no idea why I even checked this thread.

only to find the campaign had concluded, there's no way to follow it, and the faq just points to backerkit which points back to the kickstarter :mad:

Maybe you could...I don't know, find his website and send him an email or something? Here, I'll do some of the work for you.

http://www.johnavonart.com/contact-us.html

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Elyv posted:

My favorite wonky combo decks might be the old Modern Infect Shoal and Bloom Titan decks. Give me a stupid Tolaria West tutoring engine anyday, and also I like that Titan actually cares about the body on Primeval Titan

I still consider the ban on Bloom stupid and not nessecary, there are more then enough answers for a titan on turn 1 or 2 and even that didn't wasn't a garaunteed win. There are alot of decks in modern that put you in an almost unwinnable position on turn 2 and Amulet Bloom wasn't any different.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I've not been keeping up with Arena news, does it replace MTGO wholesale? Or will it only support newer sets or a limited card pool or something? Basically I'm asking if I should clear out my MTGO collection.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I've not been keeping up with Arena news, does it replace MTGO wholesale? Or will it only support newer sets or a limited card pool or something? Basically I'm asking if I should clear out my MTGO collection.

Supposedly no, supposedly no but with room to expand in the future, absolutely yes respectively.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Yeah, it's pretty much just a case of the urgency I do it with.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
WOTC trying to support 2 digital platforms would be a huge waste of time, money, and resources, which leads me to believe they are gonna try to go for it

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

mandatory lesbian posted:

WOTC trying to support 2 digital platforms would be a huge waste of time, money, and resources, which leads me to believe they are gonna try to go for it

It seems to me once they have full legacy support in Arena they should just give everyone vouchers for their pretend card collection and force a migration from MTGO. Maybe they just aren't announcing it yet because they don't want people to start freaking out since the full card set isn't implemented yet and IINM won't be for a while.

I mean they could probably legally just shutter it without offering any recompense, but the hue and cry over lost digital moxen would be deafening.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

victrix posted:

I think he'll be selling them on his site eventually as well - check there too.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

It seems to me once they have full legacy support in Arena they should just give everyone vouchers for their pretend card collection and force a migration from MTGO. Maybe they just aren't announcing it yet because they don't want people to start freaking out since the full card set isn't implemented yet and IINM won't be for a while.

I mean they could probably legally just shutter it without offering any recompense, but the hue and cry over lost digital moxen would be deafening.

This is gonna be like 10 years from now.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

I really like bogles. somebody else in this thread posted a bogles build that had four leylines of sanctity in the main deck and I'm working with that build right now on xmage. it totally shuts down so much bullshit when you get it your opener.

except you basically need to pray you get it in your opening hand, because bogles doesn't put in a lot of lands in the deck. four mana is a lot when you're running 20 or so mana.

should I keep running it? I'm worried it's a bad draw if not in the opener and a waste of space in the deck. but it's soooooo good otherwise

a pale ghost fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 12, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Omar al-Bishie posted:

I really like bogles. somebody else in this thread posted a bogles build that had four leylines of sanctity in the main deck and I'm working with that build right now on xmage. it totally shuts down so much bullshit when you get it your opener.

except you basically need to pray you get it in your opening hand, because bogles doesn't put in a lot of lands in the deck. four mana is a lot when you're running 20 or so mana.

should I keep running it? I'm worried it's a bad draw if not in the opener and a waste of space in the deck. but it's soooooo good otherwise

I have a lot of experience with this dumb deck and all I can say is that these kind of situations are what makes the deck so powerful at times. The deck feasts on decks not ready to deal with leylines and/or creature decks with targeted removal. Its a double edged sword and mulligan decisions are the only non-brainless part of the deck. I also only run 3 leylines for this reason maindeck with a 4th in the board. You have to accept the fact that sometimes you are going to draw them and they are going to be dead cards. Revel in the fact that you are making more dead cards for your opponent depending on the deck.

Efficiency is not what the deck is about. Keep running leylines because its a bullshit card that people are getting shut down by because they are being greedy.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

uninverted posted:

* Storm tries to win in a fairly similar way to belcher (the last spell they cast is Tendrils of Agony but "make a ton of mana then kill you" is the plan in both decks) but gets to play cantrips and discard spells to make a perfect hand and beat countermagic.
* Sneak & Show and Reanimator variants can put a Griselbrand into play on the first or second turn, sometimes with Force of Will backup.
* Lands uses Life from the Loam to either blow up all your mana with wastelands or repeatedly create a 20/20 flying indestructible token on your end step.

Those are just the really popular ones, there are dozens more offbeat combo decks like Bomberman and Food Chain too.

No one tell him about Four Horsemen.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

I have a lot of experience with this dumb deck and all I can say is that these kind of situations are what makes the deck so powerful at times. The deck feasts on decks not ready to deal with leylines and/or creature decks with targeted removal. Its a double edged sword and mulligan decisions are the only non-brainless part of the deck. I also only run 3 leylines for this reason maindeck with a 4th in the board. You have to accept the fact that sometimes you are going to draw them and they are going to be dead cards. Revel in the fact that you are making more dead cards for your opponent depending on the deck.

Efficiency is not what the deck is about. Keep running leylines because its a bullshit card that people are getting shut down by because they are being greedy.

What do you all think about running Leyline in the sideboard of a deck that couldn't theoretically cast it? I have a playset that I'm not really using right now but I also don't want to trade/sell them off. Not sure how I feel about automatically mulliganing in matchups where I bring it in, but I'm sure it's worth it in certain cases.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 12, 2017

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Sickening posted:

where does opponent greed come in to play?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

C-Euro posted:

What do you all think about running Leyline in the sideboard of a deck that couldn't theoretically cast it? I have a playset that I'm not really using right now but I also don't want to trade/sell them off.

The card is so much less effective if you have to cast it with the speed of modern these days. You loses out on certain edges sure, but some decks have no other options.

Its an expensive card that is irreplaceable. Unless it gets a reprint its not dropping in price.

Omar al-Bishie posted:

where does opponent greed come in to play?

Lack of enchantment removal in the board is a big one. Overloading on targeted discard to extremes. Wincons devoted to targeting without effective secondary gameplans.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 12, 2017

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

an opponent has a bunch of creatures to block my huge trample bogle. if he blocks with all of them, can I assign damage equal to the health of one of the enemy creatures and none to the rest, maximizing the damage I do with trample?

e: back to nature really fucks up bogles!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Omar al-Bishie posted:

an opponent has a bunch of creatures to block my huge trample bogle. if he blocks with all of them, can I assign damage equal to the health of one of the enemy creatures and none to the rest, maximizing the damage I do with trample?

No, you need to assign lethal damage to all blockers. If you have deathtouch(not that you will in bogles), lethal damage is 1.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

The card is so much less effective if you have to cast it with the speed of modern these days. You loses out on certain edges sure, but some decks have no other options.

Its an expensive card that is irreplaceable. Unless it gets a reprint its not dropping in price.

Yeah I'm just sitting here doing the mental math of "when am I dead enough to targeted effects that it's worth the higher chance of mulliganing and also having a few dead draws for the rest of the game?" Depends on the deck I suppose.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

Yeah I'm just sitting here doing the mental math of "when am I dead enough to targeted effects that it's worth the higher chance of mulliganing and also having a few dead draws for the rest of the game?" Depends on the deck I suppose.

Are you playing a deck that ramps at all? I know some titanshift decks will play witchbane orb in the sideboard to help against storm and burn since they can usually play it t3.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Omar al-Bishie posted:

If you see back to nature cast against you, you are ether having people gameplanning for you at your local LGS or someone is sneaking them into their sideboards when they play against you. If someone cast back to nature against me I am calling a loving judge because nobody is bold enough to throw it in a 75 these days.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

this is xmage so they had it already for some reason

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

If you see back to nature cast against you, you are ether having people gameplanning for you at your local LGS or someone is sneaking them into their sideboards when they play against you. If someone cast back to nature against me I am calling a loving judge because nobody is bold enough to throw it in a 75 these days.

RW prison is pretty popular and putting up good results these days, if a deck is weak to that, blood moon in particular, or bogles, I could see running 1 in the side. I wouldn't, personally, but I could see it happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Been doing a lot of draftsim.com to try and get better at card evaluation and since limited seems like a nice environment to spend most of my time getting back in. 15 bucks a week is a night at the movies and snacks, and I can keep building up cards for Standard.

I kind of wish there were an option to turn on raredrafting/greeddrafting in bots, because there's no way I'm getting passed a 15-20 dollar mythic rare planeswalker in a store event where the stakes on the line are a extra booster pack or two.