Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
More Oathbringer: https://www.tor.com/2017/10/10/oathbringer-by-brandon-sanderson-chapters-19-21/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Why do these three chapters always end with the worst cliffhangers?!?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Torrannor posted:

Why do these three chapters always end with the worst cliffhangers?!?

Would you like to know more?

Young Dalinar is basically a Klingon.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

OAquinas posted:

Would you like to know more?

Young Dalinar is basically a Klingon.

He's Brock Samson in this chapter. I'm not surprised Sadeas missed the old version.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Subvisual Haze posted:

He's Brock Samson in this chapter. I'm not surprised Sadeas missed the old version.

Holy poo poo, he totally is. Great, now he's going to have the voice of exasperated Patrick Warburton in my head going forward.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Proteus Jones posted:

Holy poo poo, he totally is. Great, now he's going to have the voice of exasperated Patrick Warburton in my head going forward.

Now when I do a re-read of WoK/WoR it's going to be hard to see him talking to people like the king, or Kaladin, as anything other than an exasperated Brock talking to Hank and Dean.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Subvisual Haze posted:

I'm still mildly angry that WoK's first POV was Szeth and not Sadeas.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I'm still mildly angry that WoK's first POV was Szeth and not Sadeas.

I felt from the start that using Szeth's POV as the starting point for that scene was a mistake. It would have been more impactful told from the perspective of the soldiers he fought.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Habibi posted:

I felt from the start that using Szeth's POV as the starting point for that scene was a mistake. It would have been more impactful told from the perspective of the soldiers he fought.

That scene still feels dumb and awful to me when I try to reread it. And I agree, "assassin appears and does a bunch of insane unexplainable poo poo" would be much more tolerable to read than a description of what level of lashing was cast on what target.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It'd be loving amazing as a tutorial level for the inevitable videogame adaptation.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just saw a reddit raffle for a free oathbringer ARC

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/75kmmt/no_spoilersoathbringer_arc_giveaway/

Has a few hours left to submit your entry

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Habibi posted:

It would be even more impactful if the pov was Sadeas, specifically. He's the one who can stand toe to toe with Szeth for even a moment, all the non-shardbearer guards get chumped.

A proper heroic pov of Sadeas trying his best to distract Szeth from Gavilar, pissed as hell that The Blackthorne was too drunk to be there, then trying to catch up to a Windrunner too late to the balcony fall.

That would make the Dalinar turnaround and the latter betrayal so much better.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So the Parshendi who made the poem makes me think that whatever spren is talking to them is the key to Artform that the other Parshendi were searching for.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

socialsecurity posted:

So the Parshendi who made the poem makes me think that whatever spren is talking to them is the key to Artform that the other Parshendi were searching for.

Yes and no, I think.
The Parshendi went dullform to escape whatever happened to the parshmen, and had to rebuild their knowledge of other forms over the millennia, being careful not to use any forms that invite in Odium. It could be that the voidspren has enabled Artform, but I have issues seeing how a spren directly associated with Odium would prefer that transformation.

I think it's probably more likely that the Everstorm has basically uplifted the parshmen into a more "complete" everyday form, that lacks the blocks of the other specialized forms.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

It would be even more impactful if the pov was Sadeas, specifically. He's the one who can stand toe to toe with Szeth for even a moment, all the non-shardbearer guards get chumped.

A proper heroic pov of Sadeas trying his best to distract Szeth from Gavilar, pissed as hell that The Blackthorne was too drunk to be there, then trying to catch up to a Windrunner too late to the balcony fall.

That would make the Dalinar turnaround and the latter betrayal so much better.

That seems like it only really works based on knowledge you have in the future.

Not to mention his betrayal has nothing to do with the opening events and more the fact he was kind of a cartoon villain.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

OAquinas posted:

Yes and no, I think.
The Parshendi went dullform to escape whatever happened to the parshmen, and had to rebuild their knowledge of other forms over the millennia, being careful not to use any forms that invite in Odium. It could be that the voidspren has enabled Artform, but I have issues seeing how a spren directly associated with Odium would prefer that transformation.

I think it's probably more likely that the Everstorm has basically uplifted the parshmen into a more "complete" everyday form, that lacks the blocks of the other specialized forms.

I'm not entirely convinced that it is a voidspren, or if it is a voidspren, I suspect it might have an agenda that is different from Odium's agenda.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Lobsterpillar posted:

I'm not entirely convinced that it is a voidspren, or if it is a voidspren, I suspect it might have an agenda that is different from Odium's agenda.

I guess we'll see, but it seems oddly driven and focused for something else.

Needs to be a month later, only not because then I'd have no chance of getting my project work turned in. :ohdear:

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Lobsterpillar posted:

I have a hunch that it is a Spren from Cultivation. Evolving the Parshendi like that seems like it would be up her alley, and keeping them out of the hands of Odium would seem like something she would do as we know that she was close with Honour when he was still around.

I am not sure what to spoiler anymore, almost everything is just speculation at this point anyway?

Edit: In fact, if you really want speculation

I would imagine that bonding with a Voidspren is not confined to the Parshendi. They are effectively Radients only bonded to Odiums Spren, so there could be Human Voidbringers as well. Honours request for Dalinar to "unite them" is not race specific.
Likely he means to unite ALL beings on Roshar against Odium. Odium is hatred, only by breaking the cycle of hatred can Odium be beaten, and I think that this is what would cause him to agree to a contest of champions.

Dravs fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 12, 2017

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

CharlestheHammer posted:

That seems like it only really works based on knowledge you have in the future.

Not to mention his betrayal has nothing to do with the opening events and more the fact he was kind of a cartoon villain.

Sadeas is a villain, but even so the first book takes some pains to tease us with the faint possibility of an alternate explanation, another way things could've gone. Dalinar even tries to convince Adolin that Sadeas isn't all bad by giving him that information that I propose should've been in the prologue.

That Dalinar felt ashamed that he was dead drunk that night was present in the POVs we have of him even then. The narrative takes significant pains to pronounce this event as transformative--turning Dalinar from The Blackthorne to The High King, The Bondsmith. Why not the other way as well, with Sadeas? The Dalinar flashback scenes we're getting so far is definitively giving us a Sadeas that's freely and happily allied with the Kholin brothers.

BraveJoe
Feb 18, 2010
how many "bad guy" perspectives do we even get in Stormlight.? Other than Eshonai i cant think of anyone else. Sadeas is all villain

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
We get Szeth and Taravangian perspectives. They're antagonists even if not completely evil.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

BraveJoe posted:

how many "bad guy" perspectives do we even get in Stormlight.? Other than Eshonai i cant think of anyone else. Sadeas is all villain

We get Sadeas, that is how we find out he is a cartoon villain.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I think we do start getting Sadeas POVs once he's betrayed Dalinar, so that's definitely a structural indication of a twist.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BraveJoe posted:

We get Adolin, who I still think is going to end up falling to Odium's influences one way or the other. Unless he comes out of the murder mystery stuff as a radiant somehow.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Dravs posted:

I have a hunch that it is a Spren from Cultivation. Evolving the Parshendi like that seems like it would be up her alley, and keeping them out of the hands of Odium would seem like something she would do as we know that she was close with Honour when he was still around.

I am not sure what to spoiler anymore, almost everything is just speculation at this point anyway?

I think this is a good idea. It seems like it would be a lot more mad at basically everything Kaladin has been doing teaching them stuff, and actively opposing him, if it was a creature of like literal pure Hatred.

It'd also explain why it's not the red that I think is always associated with Odium.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

ekeog posted:

It'd also explain why it's not the red that I think is always associated with Odium.

But in Dalinar's vision of Odium's champion, there was a terrible golden light? Wouldn't rule it out just on that...

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Yeah, spren are not lightsaber blades (except when, uh, they are just that). "Evil=red" probably isn't a universal.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
On another note from the newest Dalinar flashback chapter

Does anybody have any thoughts on what the spindly creature was that Dalinar saw when he stepped outside into the Highstorm to find his knife? Kind of odd and it makes me think that more goes on during a Highstorm than just some wind and rain. In the last book Kaladin saw giant golden figures striding around on top of the shattered plains [citation needs cos I am too lazy to look up the details and I last read it over a year ago]

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Dravs posted:

On another note from the newest Dalinar flashback chapter

Does anybody have any thoughts on what the spindly creature was that Dalinar saw when he stepped outside into the Highstorm to find his knife? Kind of odd and it makes me think that more goes on during a Highstorm than just some wind and rain. In the last book Kaladin saw giant golden figures striding around on top of the shattered plains [citation needs cos I am too lazy to look up the details and I last read it over a year ago]

My first thought was that it was some kind of one-off spren, like Cusicesh from one of the WOK interludes. I'd forgotten about the giant figures Kaladin saw.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

OAquinas posted:

Yeah, spren are not lightsaber blades (except when, uh, they are just that). "Evil=red" probably isn't a universal.

Different KR orders and presumably their spren are associated with different gemstones and colors.

Wind runners are blue, their glyphs are blue on their swords and armor, their eyes turn blue when they use a lot of magic, Syl herself is a shade of blue. The gem associated with them is sapphire.

A yellow spren presumably would be associated with Bondsmiths or whatever their voidbinding equivalent is.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Okay...

I'm looking forward to Oathbringer in November, but I haven't read either book since WoR. And I really don't have time to read almost 2,000 pages. What, would you say, is the best recap/synopsis of them? I have seen chapter-by-chapter synopses, but I'm not looking for that level of detail.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
If you're going to enjoy Oathbringer, you'd enjoy the other books in the series. It's not like there's a due date on this stuff, just pick up the other books and read them. Once you're done, then read Oathbringer. If you're lucky, the next book will be done by the time you get through Oathbringer and you won't have to suffer through the relatively short but still annoying waiting period.

If you really have to read it when it comes out for some reason, coppermind.net has chapter by chapter synopses of all of Brandon's stuff, e.g. https://coppermind.net/wiki/Words_of_Radiance/Summary

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
He’s already read the books once and was specifically asking for any summary besides the chapter-by-chapter ones on Tor

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Coppermind is pretty well put together

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Chapters 22-24: https://www.tor.com/2017/10/17/oathbringer-by-brandon-sanderson-chapters-22-24/

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I believe even less that the parshmen spren is a voidspren

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

I believe even less that the parshmen spren is a voidspren

My money is still extremely on some kind of generally good - but rightfully suspicious of humans - cultivation spren we don't know about.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Interesting to see direct confirmation that Dalinar's memories coming back aren't due to his bond or any sort of Stormlight-based healing.

Also had forgotten about the whole "Kaladin killed Shallan's brother" thing, which I'm sure will go well once she finds out.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Evil Fluffy posted:

Interesting to see direct confirmation that Dalinar's memories coming back aren't due to his bond or any sort of Stormlight-based healing.

Also had forgotten about the whole "Kaladin killed Shallan's brother" thing, which I'm sure will go well once she finds out.

The wording is instructive, something about "taking the pain away" so maybe the curse/boon mechanic figures he can have the memories back (slowly, to manage the potential pain) now that he's together with Navani.

Also lmao a discussion on the Nightmother curse/boon so soon after Taravangian shows up on one of his 'dimmer' days.

ekeog posted:

My money is still extremely on some kind of generally good - but rightfully suspicious of humans - cultivation spren we don't know about.

This seems likeliest.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

I got the impression that she knew after hearing him tell the story but chose to say nothing about it.