Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

CJacobs posted:

The way Sonic comes in at the end of Subspace Emissary and saves the day after an entire game of wondering when the heck he's gonna show up was pretty drat good.

I can't help but think it would have been better if they didn't announce beforehand, and that cutscene was the first reveal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Skeletome posted:

I can't help but think it would have been better if they didn't announce beforehand, and that cutscene was the first reveal.

That would've been awesome in the pre-internet world.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Sonic's reveal was great but honestly it felt like a foregone conclusion to me. Like, obviously if Snake was in, that meant crossover characters could be in so obviously, Sonic would be in. So I wasn't surprised, I just kinda felt like "Yeah, of course."

The Subspace Emissary reveal was just dynamite, though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The subtext of course is that Sonic saved Nintendo

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

VJeff posted:

The Subspace Emissary reveal was just dynamite, though.

All the subspace emissary story bits were great fun in general. Sonic had an amazing reveal but it's kinda a pity it meant we didn't get more of him.

That's the 'last minute' thing again, though.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Oct 12, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Smash with a full story would rule and cost millions

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

azurite posted:

Is it a known phenomenon that good Mario players hate Sonic and vice versa simply because they're used to the physics on their chosen game?

I grew up with Genesis and my best friend at the time had a Super Nintendo and sometimes we'd argue who would win in a fight Sonic or Mario as the kids do, but we went over each other's houses and enjoyed all the games just the same. One thing we could definitely always agree upon was that Crash Bandicoot was a dipshit wholly unworthy of console mascotdom.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Well yeah, Spyro was way cooler. His games are actually fun, too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

azurite posted:

Is it a known phenomenon that good Mario players hate Sonic and vice versa simply because they're used to the physics on their chosen game?

Honestly, I think it's even more fundamental than that, in that Mario players weren't even used to the idea that the physics and controlling your movement in Sonic was deliberately meant to be a somewhat challenging gameplay element which you were meant to get good at in and of itself. In 2D Mario, players sat down and could control him nearly as well as they ever would right off the bat, so when they sat down with Sonic and just controlling him was all over the place, they assumed that Sonic just always had bad floaty controls.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 12, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I have always, do still, and will always be completely unable to control 2d mario with any sense of percision. Dont know why, but Im unbelievably bad at 2d mario games. Somehow still beat every mario game released on the GB probably because sucking at mario is still better than reading a book in a car.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Barudak posted:

I have always, do still, and will always be completely unable to control 2d mario with any sense of percision. Dont know why, but Im unbelievably bad at 2d mario games. Somehow still beat every mario game released on the GB probably because sucking at mario is still better than reading a book in a car.

The GB Mario physics are each their own flavor of weird. They don't really compare with any of the console entries.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

J-Spot posted:

The GB Mario physics are each their own flavor of weird. They don't really compare with any of the console entries.

If mario were an actual italian I would be tried for warcrimes before I beat the first world of SMB World.

Mario maker was an experience, let me tell you.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Mario feels too slow to me after growing up with Sonic so I hold the run button 99% of the time. It usually doesn't hinder me much though.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Barudak posted:

If mario were an actual italian I would be tried for warcrimes before I beat the first world of SMB World.

Mario maker was an experience, let me tell you.

...Super Mario World? For the SNES?

Or do you mean Super Mario Land for the gameboy?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kurieg posted:

...Super Mario World? For the SNES?

Or do you mean Super Mario Land for the gameboy?

The SNES. Ive never beaten it. I think I got to like, the second castle maybe? Im trash at nes and snes mario.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Mario feels too slow to me after growing up with Sonic so I hold the run button 99% of the time. It usually doesn't hinder me much though.

The Mario games are absolutely designed with the intention that the player will be holding down the run button 99% of the time.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

So the Traveller's Tales guy posted a video explaining how he basically reamed the CRAM of the Genesis Hardware to force it to print high color depth photos

it also explains why this will probably never be properly emulated

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

The Mario games are absolutely designed with the intention that the player will be holding down the run button 99% of the time.

I think half the SNES library basically assumed you just held the controller permanently pressing Y and levering onto B every few seconds.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MikeJF posted:

I think half the SNES library basically assumed you just held the controller permanently pressing Y and levering onto B every few seconds.

Most SNES platformers assumed the player would be able to hold down two or more face buttons simultaneously. I know many new players struggle with Mega Man X's dash being tied to a face button.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

But you can rebind MMX's controls so that dash is not on a face button!

In fact, I always tend to remap it to a trigger for precisely this reason - weapon swapping works just fine on the face buttons, so.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The Zero games have it bound to L and I can't imagine it any other way

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Sega is pushing out prequel comics for Forces written by Ian Flynn.

First issue is live.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Schwarzwald posted:

I always get triggered hard when playing games like NSMB or SM3DW with my friends and they're loving up jumps because they never run

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

But you can rebind MMX's controls so that dash is not on a face button!

In fact, I always tend to remap it to a trigger for precisely this reason - weapon swapping works just fine on the face buttons, so.

You can't rebind it in rockman and forte which is a pisser

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I thought it was the slide command (down+jump) or double-tapping a direction to dash as Bass in that one?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nope, same button as in X. You can double-tap a direction but that's awkward. I think they added the slide input for the GBA version, since it only had 2 face buttons and they were totally married to weapon switching on L and R.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dabir posted:

Nope, same button as in X. You can double-tap a direction but that's awkward. I think they added the slide input for the GBA version, since it only had 2 face buttons and they were totally married to weapon switching on L and R.

Nope, in the GBA version you could only dash as Bass by double-tapping the d-pad, and yes that is as awkward to use as it sounds. As far as I can tell literally nothing new was added or changed by the port (which also meant there were times where you had to take leaps of faith because you couldn't see what's in front of you due to the smaller screen).

If you really want to play Megaman & Bass, the best way is to either import or track down a ROM of the SNES version.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 12, 2017

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

or just don't entirely, it's one of the weaker mega man entries. Bass deserved better

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

First issue is live.

i love this.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The TAS of the SNES version is amusing as hell to watch though, once you get the thunder power you can glitch into the walls and just eject yourself into the boss room.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Knuckles is the last echidna, except for all the other echidnas. - Ken Penders (probably)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That first Ken Penders Knuckles story couldn't possibly prepare anyone for his later attrocities.

Heh. AttroCity Zone.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

First issue is live.

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 13, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That was pretty good. Nice to know Ian gets to do canon stuff now.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Adam Bryce Thomas too, he's also great

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 13, 2017

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Well, it's finally happening, after sonic 1 and 2 got their remakes it seems everyone's favourite 16bit sonic game is getting the directors cut touch.

https://youtu.be/K_aal1U7bGQ

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TFRazorsaw posted:

That was pretty good. Nice to know Ian gets to do canon stuff now.

He is also confirmed to be the writer for the new IDW comics.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I posted it above here, was the image dump version needed :v:?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I posted it above here, was the image dump version needed :v:?

whoops, sorry, didn't read the thread

edit: replaced the post with new content

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

DarthBlingBling posted:

Well, it's finally happening, after sonic 1 and 2 got their remakes it seems everyone's favourite 16bit sonic game is getting the directors cut touch.

https://youtu.be/K_aal1U7bGQ

This is actually a really good Youtube channel where a Traveller's Tales guy goes through a ton of old beta poo poo.