Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm really disapointed that CA caved in to the "WE NEED TO CONQUER EVERYTHING" crowd as that will absolutely smash any kind of decent narrative and strategy in the old world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
What factors influence who wants to be confederated? I'm mostly through my Mazdamundi campaign and Itza lizards aren't (yet) interested in my lizardy embrace, but as soon as I encountered Kroq on the other continent, with like 15 settlements (zero previous interactions) every single diplomatic action was green and A-OK. I could confederate his entire empire (twice the size of Itza) as soon as I met him.

Good thing too because that dude really mismanaged his stuff. Half of his entire army was stuck in the middle of some giant undead empire with a single Plaque generating city that had like 100% corruption and was 2 provinces away from any of his territory. Dumb dino.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mans posted:

I'm really disapointed that CA caved in to the "WE NEED TO CONQUER EVERYTHING" crowd as that will absolutely smash any kind of decent narrative and strategy in the old world.

Somewhat same; I liked having the opportunity and incentive to keep an ally that could colonize regions I couldn't, just because it made things feel a bit more alive. The trade partnership and military support were icing on the cake.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Jeza posted:

What factors influence who wants to be confederated? I'm mostly through my Mazdamundi campaign and Itza lizards aren't (yet) interested in my lizardy embrace, but as soon as I encountered Kroq on the other continent, with like 15 settlements (zero previous interactions) every single diplomatic action was green and A-OK. I could confederate his entire empire (twice the size of Itza) as soon as I met him.

Good thing too because that dude really mismanaged his stuff. Half of his entire army was stuck in the middle of some giant undead empire with a single Plaque generating city that had like 100% corruption and was 2 provinces away from any of his territory. Dumb dino.

Some factions are just really stingy when it comes to confederation. If you have an alliance with Itza, get in a war somewhere and use war targeting to get some of his big armies killed. They are generally much more pliable to confederation after they suffer big military defeats and lose a lot of their army.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How do skaven fight High elves when they spam 8 dragons in a stack?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Rincewinds posted:

Bit bummed if they removed so much of the southern regions, cutting the western parts of Lustria and Not Canada does not really affect things, but the Southlands could been an interesting arena.

The southlands isn’t really getting cut though? In fact its getting more stuff added on its eastern coast

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Mans posted:

Did they? Even orange on the inhabitable scale is such a pain in the rear end on VH for order, plus extended build times and expenses I almost immediately stopped bothering. Simply not worth the headache to occupy anything but green settlements.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ammanas posted:

Did they? Even orange on the inhabitable scale is such a pain in the rear end on VH for order, plus extended build times and expenses I almost immediately stopped bothering. Simply not worth the headache to occupy anything but green settlements.

Problem is that the AI doesn't seem to mind the penalties, with higher difficulty ones feeling like they're barely inconvenienced by them.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Poison Wind Globadiers + the Warlock Engineer spell that roots + damages flyers help a lot. Warp Lightning Cannons rip em up but are prone to getting tied down if you can't pick off all the dragons before they reach your backline, which is fine with 3-4 dragons but not 8.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

toasterwarrior posted:

Problem is that the AI doesn't seem to mind the penalties, with higher difficulty ones feeling like they're barely inconvenienced by them.

even with higher penalties I am barely inconvenienced with them since they are still a profit

they just won't be defended for a long time so they can be easily raided

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Vargs posted:

Poison Wind Globadiers + the Warlock Engineer spell that roots + damages flyers help a lot. Warp Lightning Cannons rip em up but are prone to getting tied down if you can't pick off all the dragons before they reach your backline, which is fine with 3-4 dragons but not 8.

This is where Halberd Stormvermin come in, for swarming those that get past the lightning barrage and giving Globadiers an opening to toss their bombs. You can also bait the enemy dragons into landing by summoning rats near them as they advance to buy time for your cannons. If desperate, throw out your Lord or heroes near them to tank.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

toasterwarrior posted:

The AI are definitely affected by the penalties and you can pretty easily cause revolts in territories that are uninhabitable for the AI by raiding them even on VH. The problem is that the AI completely ignores the climate when conquering territory so they will just conquer everything close to them as shown on the Mortal Empire preview picture which just isn't very fun.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tenzarin posted:

I don't think I've fought an eight dragon stack but I've fought 4 and six dragon stacks, and all-dinosaur lizard stacks which are similar. What I used to beat them was 4 warp cannons, two catapults, warlock engy, about six units of infantry (stormvermin, mixed) and 4-6 units of gutter runners (sometimes I have doomwheels instead of the last two runners). The gutter runners dash around and keep the big beasts distracted, the infantry protect the artillery, the artillery kill the monsters at range while they're distracted.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Angry Lobster posted:

I started a Teclis run, managed to secure a the initial area and signed a lot of trade agreements, but god drat, his starting position is super remote from anything interested, I'm tempted to ditch it completely. Honestly, I'm more tempted to invade Ulthuan rather than defend it.

it's not immediately obvious, but you're right on top of Skrolk. or should be; I've had an irritating number of games where AI Skrolk never really does anything, just gets eaten by Itza

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Correct me if I'm wrong since the only reference I have is the Heart of the Jungle, but you can't build walls in wrong climate regions, right? Definitely my biggest problem with them; I would've taken Tor Elasor's islands as Kroq-gar if it wasn't for the fact that Norse invaders spawn off your coasts whenever you hit the rituals.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The AI do get public order bonuses on VH to the tune of +8 and +10 on legendary. They also get upkeep reduction modifiers.

But unsuitable is -5 and raiding/corruption is a lot more so you can still cause revolts and stuff for sure.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Oh boy! Radious just released a patch and they added their helf units.

quote:

Here is the list of all 20 new units: Dismounted Dragon Princes, Ellyrian Reavers (Swords), Elven Warriors, Horsemasters of Ellyrion, Chracian Hunters, Lothern City Guard (Spears), Lothern City Guard (Swords), Maiden Guard, Nightelm Archers, Nightelm Spearmen, Red Ribbon Spearmen, Red Ribbon Swordsmen, Sea Elf Wardancers, Seekers, Ship Companies, Merchant Companies, Shore Riders, Sisters of Avelorn, The Spire Guard of Tor Yvresse and Wardens of the Annulii Mountains.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/1149634389/1520386297682972932/

best thing so far was last version made the road buildings of delfs province wide

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
radious sucks

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What's the deal with Radious?

Ze Pollack posted:

it's not immediately obvious, but you're right on top of Skrolk. or should be; I've had an irritating number of games where AI Skrolk never really does anything, just gets eaten by Itza

There's a bunch of Dwarves in mountain passes between Teclis and Skrolk. It's like a 4 or 6 turn walk over to Skaven town from Teclis's starting island. In my game, Skrolk spanked the dwarves and I had to retake a bunch of their cities for them, but afterwards I had several turns in march before getting back in contact with Skaven because HEs can't underway.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

LLSix posted:

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

Is there a desirability metric that could be tweaked in a mod for this? Cause I'd really like to fix that behavior.

toasterwarrior posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong since the only reference I have is the Heart of the Jungle, but you can't build walls in wrong climate regions, right? Definitely my biggest problem with them; I would've taken Tor Elasor's islands as Kroq-gar if it wasn't for the fact that Norse invaders spawn off your coasts whenever you hit the rituals.

No, that's because it's an Wood Elf/Athel Loren enclave.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Radious is good if you want every single variation of infantry and cavalry available for every faction

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Are you really calling people that disagree with you about this nazis?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

LLSix posted:

Its a huge rebalance mod that has a version for most recent Total War games. Their main trend seems to be making more of everything, drastically slowing down combat, and adding tons of units that may or may not be necessary. This technically gives you more options, but also homogenizes the factions. They also hugely buff up your economies so you can get more murderstacks just roaming around.

Some people like it, some people hate it, and nobody in this thread can apparently stop themselves from attacking everyone else about how other people like their single-player games. Personally I have zero interest in ever touching a radious mod again, but check it out I guess.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Carcer posted:

Welcome to 2017.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

LLSix posted:

There's a bunch of Dwarves in mountain passes between Teclis and Skrolk. It's like a 4 or 6 turn walk over to Skaven town from Teclis's starting island. In my game, Skrolk spanked the dwarves and I had to retake a bunch of their cities for them, but afterwards I had several turns in march before getting back in contact with Skaven because HEs can't underway.

Obscene unit bloat and bullshit. He tries desperately to plug holes in faction rosters (even if CA/Games workshop designed said factions with unit holes in mind). Want an army of heavy armored brettonian infantry with elite archers that put Dwarves to shame, no matter how stupid it is in the context of Brettonia? Radious has your back. IIRC he gave VC ranged units all over the place too.

He also fucks with the existing units stats and generally gives everything and everyone so much leadership that they literally never break and will usually fight to the last man, again throwing faction balance for goblins and norse and such to the wind.

Don't be surprised if for the Mortal Empires campaign he gives every faction a Witch Elves analogue now, no matter how stupid or unnecessary it is.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

JBP posted:

I threw wave after wave of rats at him. Thousands of rats. I sent so many loving rats that he eventually wanted peace and the instant he got it I ambushed him in a pass and brutally murdered him by drowning him in rats.

gently caress you Kroq-Gar. You made me mad at a dinosaur man in a video game and you paid the price.

This is the right way of playing Skaven.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
My problem with Radious was back in the day he just pushed changes to push changes even if they didn't make much sense, mostly because it seems like his player base are the kind of people who always demand more stuff.

More = gooder is a pretty lovely way to mod when it homogenizes a bunch of unique factions, but then again I don't use it so I won't comment on how it is now.

Also province wide roads was available at release since it's one of those semi-official Dresden mods.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
SFO seemed a bit saner in comparison, giving races a few interesting but highly specialized units. Like Empire getting Witch Hunter Retinues, which are amazing against Etherial units and monsters that have a lot of physical resist, or Huntsmen that are a cost effective anti large ranged unit but very inferior to crossbowmen vs everything else.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I didn't play much of SFO since the new units were added, but I will say that the Dwarf grenadiers were a lot of fun and didn't seem overpowered. Generally didn't get too many kills but they flung orcs all over the place and could operate from behind your lines.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I liked that when SFO added new units it was usually just a unit variation that probably should’ve already been in the game like black orcs with sword + shield, or night goblins with spears. Then they started adding in stuff like unmounted blood dragons and it started to sour on me.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

rockopete posted:

No, that's because it's an Wood Elf/Athel Loren enclave.

Aw, son of a bitch. Well, I guess I could sail over a free Lord after some ritual downtime; those extra trade goods are going to pay for him and then some. It's not like the pre-patch Norscan armies were actually any good and could knock over walled settlements.

Vargs posted:

I didn't play much of SFO since the new units were added, but I will say that the Dwarf grenadiers were a lot of fun and didn't seem overpowered. Generally didn't get too many kills but they flung orcs all over the place and could operate from behind your lines.

For real: I played one last non-SFO Dwarf game before saying goodbye to Warhammer 1, and Runepriests ain't poo poo; I missed my Engineer squads and the only unit I'd replace them with would be actual Master Engineers. drat shame Master Engineers are a pain in the rear end to even access since their agent limit is insanely tough to increase.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 12, 2017

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Ze Pollack posted:

by ~the tabletop~ there are precisely two units with that setup, Temple Guard, on grounds they are dinosaurs and don't give a poo poo, and Phoenix Guard, on grounds they've taken a voice-silencing dip into the waters of Fate and also don't give a poo poo.

Actually, Empire Halberdiers could take shields as well, plus quite a few units with other two-handed weapons could take shields, including almost the entire Dwarf roster. Shields gave a bonus to armour from both close combat and missile fire and allowed units to parry melee attacks, negating the damage. But if used with a two-handed weapon, it only gave a bonus against missile fire, since they would have to sling the shield aside to use their weapons properly in melee.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

LLSix posted:

It adds a bunch of units and make sure each faction has access to all types of units.

Some people like it, some people don't

The people who don't like it are right because Radious homogenizes the gently caress out of the factions

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

MadJackMcJack posted:

Actually, Empire Halberdiers could take shields as well, plus quite a few units with other two-handed weapons could take shields, including almost the entire Dwarf roster. Shields gave a bonus to armour from both close combat and missile fire and allowed units to parry melee attacks, negating the damage. But if used with a two-handed weapon, it only gave a bonus against missile fire, since they would have to sling the shield aside to use their weapons properly in melee.

huh. edumacation!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

MadJackMcJack posted:

does radius know this

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Xae posted:

It adds a bunch of units and make sure each faction has access to all types of units.

Some people like it, some people don't

The people who don't like it are right because Radious homogenizes the gently caress out of the factions

I haven't touched it for Warhammer 2 but historically his changes to morale also turn the battles into these massive slogs that take absolutely forever.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Carcer posted:

lol

it is a joke about how when radious is mentioned, people come out of the wood works to talk poo poo about it instead of just ignoring it and also promoting a different mod that does similar things and was also produced by a nazi

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
just post the chaos chosen chariot of slaanesh (living saint, blessing of the lady) picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Third World Reggin posted:

lol

it is a joke about how when radious is mentioned, people come out of the wood works to talk poo poo about it instead of just ignoring it and also promoting a different mod that does similar things and was also produced by a nazi

Why do we have to ignore the promotion of polarizing mod? I think warning people about it is perfectly fair.

I don’t care for SFO but I know it does not simply do “similar things,” as it doesn’t try to homogenize every faction and turn combat into hours long grind fest