Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

Wouldn't Char be better as the sixth ranger?

He's 100% the sixth ranger but I couldn't think of a fifth, so it's four rangers + Char as the rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Kuvo posted:

when you talk about frosting do you mean the spray gets cold as the internal pressure drops (like with compressed air cans)?

If you mess up with matte coat it'll turn a hazy white.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

He's 100% the sixth ranger but I couldn't think of a fifth, so it's four rangers + Char as the rear end in a top hat.

0079 Amuro and time-travelling CCA Amuro from the future

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Droyer posted:

0079 Amuro and time-travelling CCA Amuro from the future

No, that's his mid season power up.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Lemon-Lime posted:

Well you desperately need a female so get Christina Mackenzie in that team.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Isn't that what Doozy Bots essentially was?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

TaurusOxford posted:

Well you desperately need a female so get Christina Mackenzie in that team.

Sayla and Elle are Gundam pilots

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Setsuna is already Gundam. Do it, Bandai.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah but Christina is the best one. :colbert:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

So's Roux, if we're just listing people out, but none of them have unique suits, and they're all from shows that are already covered. Chris is her show's main Gundam pilot, even if she's not the lead character.

Of course, she's also the only person mentioned so far who's old enough to drink in the United States, so if whoever's setting this up is looking for teenagers with attitude, she's disqualified. (Probably on both counts, unless, like Power Rangers, we define 'Attitude' as 'Volunteer hours')

Also, yes. Chris is the best.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

chiasaur11 posted:

So's Roux, if we're just listing people out, but none of them have unique suits, and they're all from shows that are already covered.

If Sayla and Elle are the RX-78 and the Mk 2, then Amuro, Kamille, and Judau can be the Nu, Zeta, and ZZ.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Kuvo posted:

getting close on finishing my MG Sazabi and am thinking about top coating it. Any tutorials/tips/advice? If im looking for a matte look, which top coat should i use?

Any matte finish designed for model kits or minis is probably good. I've been using Army Painter "anti shine matte vanish" because I can find it in local stores and I'm happy with it. I've had minor frosting when I applied it too thick and in the cold, but it's not a big deal. If anything it gave that kit a sort of ghetto weathering effect

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Monaghan posted:

I actually imagine that the greybeards must be quite impressed by Bandai's building quality. It must be like a whole new world for these guys.

It's like seeing abused children suddenly realize that love and compassion actually do exist in the world.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Wasn't the reason Bandai stopped letting exports of the Star Wars kits happen pre-Bluefin-licensing that Revell told on them to Mommy Disney?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wasn't the reason Bandai stopped letting exports of the Star Wars kits happen pre-Bluefin-licensing that Revell told on them to Mommy Disney?

Yes. Instead of gitting gud, Revell decided being piss-babies was the better option.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Sounds exactly like what supposedly happened with Daban snitching on Dragon Momoko.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
And so the Gunpla Mafia is born.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Revell's newer kits aren't bad (I built their 2002 jeep rubicon for my stepdad and it wasn't bandai quality but still pretty decent), but the whole model industry has a huge issue with reboxing 30 year old models with poo poo parts-fit into new releases. It's bad enough that there's a website (Scalemates) just to figure out the loving lineage of whatever kit and what it contains.

Can confirm from the modeling thread that whenever a bandai SW kit shows up they're really impressed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Bandai rereleases their ancient kits too, they just have the good sense to keep the original packaging so people know it's ancient and don't mistake the original HG RX-78-02 for the 30th anniversary version or the All-Gundam project redesign.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Word is that it was actually Lego that tried to put the kibosh on the Bandai imports and not Revell. Which makes sense, because Lego actually has some influence in the business, and Revell... does not.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's a post I found: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1108625

quote:

HEADS UP FOLKS!! I have received some feedback regarding the restrictions imposed on Bandai from selling their Star Wars kits outside Japan. Apparently the directive and pressure is from Disney themselves, and not from Revell or any other party as indicated from other forums and posts. In fact, Disney may be beginning to apply pressure on other Japanese Manufacturers involved with Star Wars merchandises to restrict their sales to only within the country, and may include other items such as PVC figures, statues, toys, etc etc. Hence depending on the company's agreement with Disney, we can expect more stuff to get pulled out of the overseas market later. I can't reveal my source due to legal reasons but I can tell you they are dependable - and very worried about their sales and profit margins. In the event this rule is applied nationwide (since I still see a few shops selling them) the only option is to get Kit Hunters from Japan to get them for you. Look for my notes section to see who these people are. If you are residing in Japan and not affiliated with any shops there but are willing to help, please let me know and I'll include your contacts there.

UPDATE: Apparently I just found out the original contract between some of these manufacturers and Disney did state that the merchandise were indeed for sales within Japan only. Somehow these got through to online shops that didn't know about this rule. So now we have a lot of very unhappy vendors there as well as very unhappy fans outside Japan.

UPDATE II : I have been asked to list down all the effected merchandises. Unfortunately I don't have a list given to me. The only ones I know for sure were the Bandai kits since I am more into model kits. But if you were to look at Hobby Search's Japanese site and compare it to the English site, you can already see some of the things not model kits related there (at the Japanese site) missing from the English site. As for other brands like SH- Figuarts, Kotobukiya, etc etc, I have no idea if they too will be effected. I was only told Disney is applying some pressure to have these Japanese Manufacturers comply with their agreement

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
That's interesting considering Kotobukiya's Star Wars stuff kept on getting exported just fine through online stores.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
How are the general quality of Mechanicore kits? Hemming and hawing over getting the Ziegler for about 420 usd shipped. Looks cool but spending.a few months on assembling alone if it's got issues might not be great.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

From the painting & modelling unspiration thread in TG:

Sperglord Firecock posted:

another gunpla for another day

I'm sorry, BlizBlast. I'm so sorry.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
So what are the odds we get RG Nu/RG Sazabi next year since it's the 30th anniversery for Char's Counterattack?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

That Gobbo posted:

How are the general quality of Mechanicore kits? Hemming and hawing over getting the Ziegler for about 420 usd shipped. Looks cool but spending.a few months on assembling alone if it's got issues might not be great.

Don't go in expecting a snap fit on everything, there's a lot of gluing and soldering and you may have to widen holes or cut down pegs or make various other alterations at times, so very loose test fits are required before you put any glue on things, and if you start to have to put force into something, you're going to want to have to back off before you put something in so tight it'll never come loose.

They've got really great engineering and super details molds, but you just need to be careful with what you're doing and treat it less like a bandai snapfit kit and more like a traditional model that just so happens to have thousands of parts and good color separation and articulation.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I've nearing the end on finishing the Cutecube Woundwort which had a lot of fitting issues. But nothing awful, just some sanding, peg cutting, and glue like you mentioned. So that aspect wouldn't bother me too bad. Not too thrilled about souldering the leds though if that's required.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Depending on how much space they give you, you could use heat-shrink crimp connectors to avoid sokdering.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Trip report on the HG Nirvash Spec 2;

It's a 2006 kit alright; this fucker's got a lot of little red stickers. Mechanically though, it's actually a pretty great kit.

It can't transform, but the limbs have a great range of motion and there's polycaps in all the right places so it won't sag even in sickass surfing poses.

The base is also very well designed. The two prongs can go in one of three slots on either side, so as to keep the whole thing from tipping over.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

asterioth posted:

So what are the odds we get RG Nu/RG Sazabi next year since it's the 30th anniversery for Char's Counterattack?

Nu, I can see and am frankly baffled why it hasn't happened yet. (They can even sell an effects package for that sweet sweet p-bandai cash!) Sazabi though I wouldn't hold my breath on. It seems like a lot of the RG choices go for the more slender mobile suits.

I imagine we'll just get another Astray frame and maybe some flavor of Banshee if we're lucky. If we're incredibly unlucky though, Bandai will combine the figure rise and RG technology to bring us RG Super Fumina. :suicide:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

asterioth posted:

You get an RG Sazabi, but it uses a heavily modified Gundam MKII frame.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

I just found this thread via the 40k thread and I wanted to share this man's work with you guys, because it is incredible. Sorry if this is a well known gunpla modeler, I just stumbled upon him on Instagram a few years ago and started following. He does a lot of custom stuff, and his work is so loving crisp.

Also phone posting and I don't know how to share Instagram without screencapping :downs:

:kimchi:

And

:syoon:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

asterioth posted:

Bandai decides to go for the surprise picks and makes an mg jegan and mg jagd doga instead.

Someday, Bandai will make these kits. Someday.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
MG GoohN.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Re/100 α Azieru.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Nah, they'll do another RG Wing version just to spite everyone.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I just found this thread via the 40k thread and I wanted to share this man's work with you guys, because it is incredible. Sorry if this is a well known gunpla modeler, I just stumbled upon him on Instagram a few years ago and started following. He does a lot of custom stuff, and his work is so loving crisp.

Also phone posting and I don't know how to share Instagram without screencapping :downs:

:kimchi:

And

:syoon:

I hadn't seen his stuff before, pretty impressive! Instagram in general is a good place to both be inspired and intimidated.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
We will get a RG Ground Type and Gouf. I have faith.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Potential BFF posted:

Re/100 α Azieru.

I've always wanted a plastic robot the size of a child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bij
Feb 24, 2007

It'd turn any house into a home!