Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Another invasion. it seems like this one will work.

Its nice to know I have a decent CAP here.

A dull day. But at least our losses are lower.

Not even anything interesting in the kills list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Grey Hunter posted:

if I restrict the bombers so they don't reach efte I'm worried about nutering them.

At the rate they're going down it's probably the lesser evil at worst. Definitely worth trying out to see if they're still effective. Maybe set them just short of Efate?

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 6, 2017

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Rebase them somewhere better.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

6 October 1943

During the German evacuation of the Kuban Peninsula east of the Crimea, Soviet destroyers made two attempts to interfere. Neither found any transports at sea, but on the second three destroyers came close in shore to bombard German positions. There they were attacked unsuccessfully by German E-boats, but delayed long enough for daylight to enable Stukas to attack. The flotilla leader Kharkov and destroyer Besposhchadny were first damaged and taken in tow by Sposobny. Subsequent attacks sank the two damaged ships outright and then caught and sank Sposobny rescuing survivors.

US destroyer Buck, stopped here (south of Sorrento) and sunk by two torpedoes from U-616.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

goatface posted:

Rebase them somewhere better.

Not as simple as it seems - besides the planes, you need a big enough airfield, you need air support engineer units, you need an Air HQ for torpedoes. There aren't that many good airbase options in some areas and sometimes you need to pick one, invest in it, and stick with it.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We bring down a plane on a bombing run.

Well, that was interesting.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We lose a night fighter.

The Allies have another crack at landing troops at Buna.

Most of the day is the standard bombing runs by allied bombers.

I spend most of my time today on logistics – tracking down lost and abandoned ships so I can send them for repairs – these are the ships that took a torpedo and made it somewhere safe, but I never got around to properly sorting.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Good luck with getting things for fixer uppers.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Use them to invade the Aleutians.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

"We just need a new keel, a new torpedo bulge, sand away the rust, straighten the dents, and she's good as new!"

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Another task force sails into Singapore harbour and pays the price.

And then another!

I sweep south of Rabaul and get even more kills. Today is the day of the surface raiders it seems!

It continues to the south of Singapore.

Two US battleships bombard our men at Jaliut. The losses are heavy. Oddly this is not the precursor to an invasion.

We see more fighting at this training station. Thanks for the targets RAF!

Well, our surfaces ships had a good day!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Is the Kido/Kiddo Butai anywhere close to Jaluit? Because those look like some tasty capital ships.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Still, looks like your own surface ships took some hits. Hope they're not in dry dock for too long. But not a bad surface sweep! lot of nice kills.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Maya's probably fine. It was only getting peppered by a few 127mm shells, which a heavy cruiser should be more than capable of taking (highly vulnerable torpedo tubes notwithstanding, as they apparently weren't hit). Ikazuchi is in a tad more trouble, what with eating a torpedo and all. Let's hope Grey is even able to get that destroyer back to port.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Any chance of getting rienforcements to Jakuit or something in range to hit those BB's?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
My lucky ship, the Alabama, is now in the Pacific and showing up in reports. Yay!

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

Two US battleships bombard our men at Jaliut. The losses are heavy.
What were your men doing Grey? Sitting on the beach working on their tan?

The bombardment accomplished more than 3 or so waves of troops.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Reuben Sandwich posted:

but enough about noumea

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

A sub picks off a cargo ship – and it's one of ours for a change!

They send in a mass of bombers instead of this in three or four different waves.

Dammit these are new (for here)– I think my troops moved out of Neomou yesterday, and the AI moved bombers right on it. I see about 50 all told.

I try another attack in China.

So many bombers, showing them all would be madness.

Good sub.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014
Keep racking up tankers and AKAs.

Both of those will hurt the hell out of the US.

AKAs are great kills, vessels specifically designed to funnel troops directly into, and through, beachheads. They carry landing craft, shitloads of marines/soldiers and have a reasonable ability to fire directly inland in support of landing operations. Every one of those gone is great, they commissioned like 100 odd during the war, even used them in Korea if memory serves. Hit them hard.

Tankers are tankers, keep killing them.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

Reuben Sandwich posted:

It is not exactly that large atoll and not far from sea level, making digging in difficult from BB caliber guns.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Oh good my sub is not dead. Last time we saw it, it got hit by a depth charge and then we didn't see it for months. I thought it was toast!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

[img]https://lpix.org/2943882/1].jpg[/img]

Here we go again!

The Grunion is on a roll today.

We come out on top again in the air skirmish over Mandalay.

Our returning carriers make a poorly judged attack at the convoy at Buna.

This is followed by a wave of planes out of Rabaul. They at least get hits in.

A sweep takes out a couple more planes.

Another day of attacks force the Chinese into retreat.

That raid cost us a lot of air frames today.

Neither of these are confirmed, but both are likely.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Grey Hunter posted:

Neither of these are confirmed, but both are likely.

One of those is yours. Do you not immediately know that your own ship sank?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Me no smrt. Me Sorry,

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

To be honest, I wouldn't have put it past the game not to tell you for 2 days for some nebulous reason like naval command going "maybe they had a radio failure?" And refusing to admit the loss

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

11 October 1943

British minesweeper Hythe, torpedoed off Bougie by U-371.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

11 October 1943

British minesweeper Hythe, torpedoed off Bougie by U-371.

I love torpedoing off the Bourgeoisie. gently caress them and their ownership of the means of production.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Nth Doctor posted:

I love torpedoing off the Bourgeoisie. gently caress them and their ownership of the means of production.

I almost threw in a joke about that.

Just discovered that my book, which is normally arranged entirely chronologically, for some reason decided to put three days in October '43 out of order, so here they are:

6 October 1943

Japanese destroyer Yugumo and US destroyer Chevalier, sunk during a Tokyo Express skirmish northwest of Vella Lavella.

8 October 1943

Polish destroyer Orkan, sunk by a homing torpedo from U-378 southwest of Iceland.

9 October 1943

British CLAA Carlisle and destroyer Panther, sunk by German aircraft south of Scarpanto Strait in the eastern Mediterranean.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

I almost threw in a joke about that.

Just discovered that my book, which is normally arranged entirely chronologically, for some reason decided to put three days in October '43 out of order, so here they are:

6 October 1943

Japanese destroyer Yugumo and US destroyer Chevalier, sunk during a Tokyo Express skirmish northwest of Vella Lavella.

8 October 1943

Polish destroyer Orkan, sunk by a homing torpedo from U-378 southwest of Iceland.

9 October 1943

British CLAA Carlisle and destroyer Panther, sunk by German aircraft south of Scarpanto Strait in the eastern Mediterranean.

Didn't do it's job too well now did it

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Didn't do it's job too well now did it

Carlisle was apparently the RN's highest-scoring anti-aircraft cruiser, so it kind of did.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

She also wasn't sunk - she made it back to port, found to be not worth repairing, and scrapped in 1949.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I prefer light anti-aircraft cruisers that don't get sunk. :sad:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

simplefish posted:

To be honest, I wouldn't have put it past the game not to tell you for 2 days for some nebulous reason like naval command going "maybe they had a radio failure?" And refusing to admit the loss

For capital ships like the Yamato, no one wants to be the one breaking the news to the top brass so you still see it in the game, it moves around like normal, but it silently doesn't contribute anything in battle. This potentially goes on for more than a year.

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

For capital ships like the Yamato, no one wants to be the one breaking the news to the top brass so you still see it in the game, it moves around like normal, but it silently doesn't contribute anything in battle. This potentially goes on for more than a year.

On the plus side, its fuel consumption goes way down after it has been sunk.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's a shame that none of the LPs using some of the modded scenarios people made for this game ever really got anywhere. Some of them have some pretty nifty stuff.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Isn't this basically what happened with Musashi? The survivors of the sinking were distributed out to random poo poo-hole death sentence posts so they couldn't bring down moral with stories about how their super weapon failed to accomplish anything?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

ugh its Troika posted:

It's a shame that none of the LPs using some of the modded scenarios people made for this game ever really got anywhere. Some of them have some pretty nifty stuff.
Be the change you want to see!

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

frankenfreak posted:

Be the change you want to see!

I am not paying a bazillion bucks for a game that I will be really really awful at. I lack the patience to play super spergy grog sims.

Hearts of Iron is more my speed :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I think the mod was called "Focus: Pacific" or something but it had a lot of good poo poo in it, notably German CBs, a bunch of flight deck cruisers, Morane-Saulniers and Dunkerque. I think it ended up breaking the game somehow in late '42 though.

edit: is War Plan Orange any good? It would be cool to see a LP of that.