Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

So is this going to be C8 or some weird C7.5 offshoot? I thought I read somewhere a while back they were thinking of going with sort of a multi-model Corvette "brand".

That wouldn't surprise me, with the way "Stingray," "Grand Sport," and "Z06" are all listed separately on their website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

fknlo posted:

C8 as far as I know. Current rumors are that the C7 will be sold alongside it for a few years which would be dumb as poo poo unless the base C8 is going to be significantly more expensive than past models which is probably not all that unlikely.

There's also been on/off talk about GM doing another Corvette-based Cadillac.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

CornHolio posted:

The fabled mid-engined Corvette?

Are you sure that is a GM product? Looks like a convertible NSX to me.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Even Toyota wasn't able to make a reliable mid-engine car, this should be good.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

MrLogan posted:

It's surrounded by other GM cars, and matches the car that comes up when you search for "mid-engined corvette."

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

MrLogan posted:

The cabin reads extremely C6/C7 to me. Doesn't look like an exact match to the C7's.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Human Grand Prix posted:

The basic 3 series is still a very good vehicle, it’s just that (unless something has changed recently) the equipment levels were a joke.

Depends on how basic they get in your market. The base here is a wheezy 1.5l three cylinder with gross vinyl seats and is absolutely a crap choice in its price bracket.

So is the next step up for that matter, I think you need to get into 330i models before you get any value (sure they’re expensive but at least you get something in return)

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

That wouldn't surprise me, with the way "Stingray," "Grand Sport," and "Z06" are all listed separately on their website.

I expect that it will become some new high-end Corvette Zora with a starting price above $100k.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

fknlo posted:

C8 as far as I know. Current rumors are that the C7 will be sold alongside it for a few years which would be dumb as poo poo unless the base C8 is going to be significantly more expensive than past models which is probably not all that unlikely.
Wouldn't surprise me to be sold alongside each other. This mod engine will appeal to a different crowd than the "normal" Corvette will. Far more of a hardcore sports car than a high performance GT like the stingray is.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

ilkhan posted:

Done that. He does good vids. Even if they are a bit dry. He does car seat fitting reviews too. Weird but helpful if you need one of those.

https://www.cars.com/news/car-seat-check/ fills that niche too.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

CornHolio posted:

those wheels look extremely un-GM

is that another one in the far background?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dislike button posted:

No, i'm pretty sure those are trees, bob.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Dislike button posted:

Those wheels are just completely confused.

And yes, looks like another one behind the yellow c7.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

CornHolio posted:

How long have they been taking about this car? I seem to recall readings articles in my high school library on a mid-engined corvette back in the mid 90s.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

At one point the C3 successor was gonna be mid-Wankel-engined, this was circa 1972. Then the fuel crisis hit and lol.

The rumors have persisted ever since.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrLogan posted:

pic from another angle.

definitey GM

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also consider that the Corvette has moved way up market already to make more room for the Camaro. GM still doesn't want them competing with each other, but this time they aren't neutering the Camaro to slow it down.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Powershift posted:

pic from another angle.

definitey GM

Ah, the ol get a giant drink from the drive-thru test. :911:

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Ah, the ol get a giant drink from the drive-thru test. :911:

If it can't hold a 64 oz cup then I'm not interested.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Apollo posted:

How long have they been taking about this car? I seem to recall readings articles in my high school library on a mid-engined corvette back in the mid 90s.

Yeah but this time we have actual mules driving around.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also consider that the Corvette has moved way up market already to make more room for the Camaro. GM still doesn't want them competing with each other, but this time they aren't neutering the Camaro to slow it down.
Pretty much. The Camaro whateverthefuckfastedition is just as fast around a track as the C7. I just wish they keep the front engine around as a 2 seat GT car.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

CornHolio posted:

I demand that it be called the Fiero.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

ilkhan posted:

Pretty much. The Camaro whateverthefuckfastedition is just as fast around a track as the C7. I just wish they keep the front engine around as a 2 seat GT car.

It's a given as this setup gives them a three-pronged strategy of traditional front-engine coupe, front-mid, and mid-engine sports car chassis to work with that they they can sell across a crazy number of price points and use to compete in just about every motor racing class. Technology has also progressed such that they could make a mid-engine tub chassis car with relatively exotic materials for little more than a mid-level SUV, which I think is the real reason GM finally got around to this car after decades. Wouldn't even surprise me if the fastest Camaro ends up being faster than the cheapest base mid-engine model. Huge opportunity to up-sell for mad money, i.e. profits, selling options on other-wise cheap base cars.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they position it as a ford gt for the people (who can afford a 150k car)

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I desperately want it to be the new Fiero.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
The new mid-engined Vette will have a starting price over 100k and fully optioned will be closer to 150k. I can’t wait for the pissed of Boomer fanboys to get all kinds of butthurt about it.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Huge_Midget posted:

The new mid-engined Vette will have a starting price over 100k and fully optioned will be closer to 150k. I can’t wait for the pissed of Boomer fanboys to get all kinds of butthurt about it.

You can count on it.

If I had to bet money on it, I'd put the Camaro/Vette/mid-engine starting prices at ~$30K/60K/90K.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

EnergizerFellow posted:

You can count on it.

If I had to bet money on it, I'd put the Camaro/Vette/mid-engine starting prices at ~$30K/60K/90K.

If you include the 4cyl Camaro, yes that's realistic. A base V8 is $38k MSRP. Base C7 / GS / Z06 is $55/65/79K.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

McTinkerson posted:

I desperately want it to be the new Fiero.

im totally going to call it the Fiero

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

EnergizerFellow posted:

You can count on it.

Could Chevy really get away with pricing this thing right in line with the 911?

I don't know squat about what the marketplace is like for six figure cars but I know I see an awful lot of 911s running around DFW.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

FBS posted:

I don't know squat about what the marketplace is like for six figure cars but I know I see an awful lot of 911s running around DFW.

People already pay $100k for LS based mid engine kit cars.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

FBS posted:

You would be surprised how many F-types, Boxster/Cayman, and others like them get optioned up into that price range. GM's selling point on this will likely be "McLaren for half the price", which is basically where the Corvette is relative to the 911. Direct competitor would be something like a Lotus Evora, though higher trims/options will put it more in-line with the NSX and Ford GT for pricing.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Powershift posted:

People already pay $100k for LS based mid engine kit cars.

Is GM dumb enough to use their turbo 6 instead of a sbc?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrLogan posted:

It will almost certainly be a SBC so they can run the LT5 out of the C7.R in GTE

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrLogan posted:

I wouldn't be super surprised if they threw the turbo 6 in the base model but I don't think I've really heard much about that. There's a lot of talk about the car getting a DOHC V8 though.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

All three of GM's fast Chevys getting a version of the Cadillac LGW 3.0L turbo V6 is pretty much a given I'd say, as would yet another LT V8 in N/A and supercharged form.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrLogan posted:

Yes they are.

Theres also a nasty rumor that it might be a mild hybrid. It's simultaneously believable and terrible, which, given that it's GM we're talking about, means it's probably true.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

MrYenko posted:

Yes they are.

Theres also a nasty rumor that it might be a mild hybrid. It's simultaneously believable and terrible, which, given that it's GM we're talking about, means it's probably true.

Why is a mild hybrid lame? It just means a 48v low-voltage system instead of 12v, and a better starter motor, in effect. It's not like they're going to weigh it down with 10kWh-worth of batteries.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

drgitlin posted:

Why is a mild hybrid lame? It just means a 48v low-voltage system instead of 12v, and a better starter motor, in effect. It's not like they're going to weigh it down with 10kWh-worth of batteries.

Because I don't want a half-assed, budget P1, I want a mid-engined V8 Corvette track-monster like they've been teasing for FORTY YEARS...

...Which is why a mild hybrid is exactly what I think is going to happen. :bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Yes they are.

I think within 5 years, every single car will be a "mild hybrid" with a belt driven starter/alternator that can harvest energy while coasting and contribute to forward motion. The benefit is too great not to go that route.