Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's gotta be Barney Ronay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

julian assflange posted:

Guess the writer:

In the years after the fall of the Berlin Wall a phenomenon bubbled up in Eastern Europe called “ostalgie”, or nostalgia for the old east. Seized with ostalgie, citizens of the new world found themselves tiring of the glories of capitalism, with its treacly soft drinks, unfettered access to soft-rock music and a natureless ecstasy of identical consumer products; and yearning instead for the old certainties of communism, the gulag and mass-produced cardboard trousers. As recently as last year a majority of Romanians said they missed the murderous despot Nicolae Ceausescu. Presumably, again, because you knew where you stood and the statues were nice.
It goes to show you can miss anything if you really want to. With exceptions of course. For example there are to date no documented examples of what social scientists might call “Moyestalgia”, which is defined as nostalgia for the events and personnel of David Moyes’s time in charge of Manchester United over 10 grippingly doomed months between July 2013 and April 2014.
There's no way that isn't Barney Ronay.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You are both correct

Spxtz
Oct 9, 2007
Can't believe his nickname for the pair is Mata-Marouane when it should blatantly be MarJuan

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ4UoTegylQ/

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/San_Lorenzo1908/status/916119935985815552

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

the future

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Did you notice during the playing of our National anthem in a A foreign country last night Josi altidore and what's is name who wears number #2 didn't put their hands over their hearts like the rest of the team did your our national team and you pull that crap. I feel for Christian Pulisic he deserves a better team to play on than this arrogant bunch of crap were calling our national soccer team.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Brony Car posted:

Did you notice during the playing of our National anthem in a A foreign country last night Josi altidore and what's is name who wears number #2 didn't put their hands over their hearts like the rest of the team did your our national team and you pull that crap. I feel for Christian Pulisic he deserves a better team to play on than this arrogant bunch of crap were calling our national soccer team.

I kept my mouth shut long enough in these stupid soccer threads.

It's not a game for men. It's a game for girls and cowards. Small slow weak twinks.

Men play football basketball baseball hockey track golf tennis combat spirts.

Soccer is essentially a twinks chorus line.

Nobody cares about that pussy schit.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Brony Car posted:

I kept my mouth shut long enough in these stupid soccer threads.

It's not a game for men. It's a game for girls and cowards. Small slow weak twinks.

Men play football basketball baseball hockey track golf tennis combat spirts.

Soccer is essentially a twinks chorus line.

Nobody cares about that pussy schit.

All true

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Ah yes, the noted masculine sport of tennis

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Combat spirts

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

dex_sda posted:

Combat spirts

If you can think of something more masculine than competitive jizzing then wow

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Bobby Digital posted:

Ah yes, the noted masculine sport of tennis

Federer is a total hunk

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

African AIDS cum posted:

Federer is a total hunk

They get all the good dope

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

golf is definitely a sport for swole hunks

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Simone Poodoin posted:

golf is definitely a sport for swole hunks

Darts, Snooker, Golf in that order imo

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Strawman posted:

Darts, Snooker, Golf in that order imo
Aussie Rules Football

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/918844531583352832

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

oh jesus christ.

well it's apt as arsenal are a BUNCH OF CHICKENS !!!!

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

lmao

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SportsJOE_UK/status/919164393098829824

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Lollll at both the latest ones.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

Repost?

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/4wmny9/im-a-25-year-old-man-and-ive-only-just-got-into-football-484

Lightbulb Grease
Aug 9, 2006

Oh, hi girls. Tom Cruise here.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/SpursInTheBlood/status/919300191236259840

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Nice

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
a evil

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
You may be more familiar with Alexi Lalas because of his Soccer punditry or *that* hair in the 90s, but once you gets to know more about Alexi, you’ll come across two things immediately: His love for music and his love for America. These two things find themselves blending in Shots, Lalas’s fifth album. If you’ve heard Alexi speak at all about soccer in this country, you’ll know that he believes deeply in America’s ability to achieve great things. That clearly stems from a belief in America as a whole, and that comes across in Shots. Just like the way he comes across on TV, at times, Shots occasionally ventures into unapologetic candor. Some of the lyrics are a bit over the top prima facie. Some of the guitar riffs are over-produced, but below the surface you can feel this album comes from a place of American honesty. Lalas has never shied away from who he is, and he doesn’t start now.

In songs like American Outlaw, you can hear the deep belief Lalas has in this country. Songs like Dancing to a Whisper, evoke an understanding that the artist is honest with who he is. The beginning songs of the album nod their head appreciatively to the American classic rock that we grew up with. The middle of the album gets a little softer and a little more emotionally transparent. The ending songs of the album are anthemic and announce to the world that Only the Best will do.

Shots is thirty minutes of Alexi Lalas – and America – at their best. He’s not ashamed of who he is, even if that means he’s going to have to go at it alone. And isn’t that what has made our country great; our willingness to take chances even if the odds are stacked against us? Alexi Lalas is unapologetically American, and so is Shots. The message of this album is that you shouldn’t be afraid to be who you are or who you are becoming. Be who you are, go after what you want, even if it means that you’ll end up with a Paper Crown or a job that requires you to stare at Grant Wahl’s giant head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y96WuTVnx4

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Okay so a young 18 y/o made his champo league debut last night and botched a save so utd win the game. S**t happens that’s the way life goes. But what has angered me to the point of typing out my thoughts into email format, is Lukaku consoling the young goalie after the game???? Who does he think he is consoling anyone last night? His performance was diabolical not only last night but against Pool aswell. After that game the only thing on his mind should have been how to improve for the next game not hugging the opposition. What just because he’s Belgian that automatically makes yous best brahs 4 life?? Sickening. Maybe I’m over reacting, but I know for sure our Roy would agree with me.
Gareth Eire Man utd (Mick McCarthy is still a gobsh**e)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
We all have our favourite Victorian engineering folly. Mine is the SS Great Eastern, Isambard Kingdom Brunel’s super-ship powered by a hundred furnaces, a vessel so vast it could carry 10,000 passengers, so vast it became a symbol of grandiose, stovepipe-hatted ambition, and so vast that it turned out it couldn’t actually sail anywhere.

Completed in November 1857, the Great Eastern stayed moored at Millwall on the Thames for two months, unable to move because of its own mind-boggling size. Several times a launch was attempted and then abandoned. Eventually the Great Eastern left its dock with the help of an unusually powerful tide and from there set off on its ill-fated shortened lifespan.

Too huge to be any real use as a passenger vessel, Brunel’s mega-ship ended up seeing out its days as a floating funfair in Liverpool before being junked in 1889. One of its masts was salvaged by Everton Football Club and erected at their then-home Anfield, an emblem of human ambition and avarice, something too cumbersome to function, too costly and famous to be ignored. And yes, insert your own Wayne Rooney joke here.

The Great Eastern is a powerful metaphor for many things. Even, it turns out, for Lionel Messi, or at least the surrounding industrial machinery of Messi, at the end of a week when the greatest club footballer of the modern age produced another dreamy display of attacking craft at home to Olympiakos in the Champions League.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Ronay?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Who else could it possibly be?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Peak Ronay was reached at the City-Napoli write-up:

At times watching City rack up 39 goals before the end of October has felt a bit like stumbling across some wild inter-village tomato throwing contest, an autumn glut, all juice and drooling excess.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Eau de MacGowan posted:

At times watching City rack up 39 goals before the end of October has felt a bit like stumbling across some wild inter-village tomato throwing contest, an autumn glut, all juice and drooling excess.

lol what the gently caress

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Eau de MacGowan posted:

For fucks sake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
imagine having a brain that worked that way