Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SettingSun posted:

The DMG says that as long as the ring is on a digit, it works. So stick em on your toes for 20 rings. Why stop there? You have two knuckles on your fingers. 30 rings!

Does the DMG specify a finger? Because it could be 31.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

"...a ring must be worn on a finger, or similar digit." Draw your own conclusion on that one.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
human fighter supremacy

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Best part:

"...five years ago, I never would have chosen the game’s most popular match: the human fighter. There are already enough human fighters in movies, TV and books — my first character was an albino dragonborn sorcerer. But these days I can get behind the combo’s simplicity: It lets you focus on creating a good story rather than spending time flipping through rulebooks to look up spells."

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

People prefer the race that can give them more feats, skills? Shocking.

slap me and kiss me posted:

Best part:

"...five years ago, I never would have chosen the game’s most popular match: the human fighter. There are already enough human fighters in movies, TV and books — my first character was an albino dragonborn sorcerer. But these days I can get behind the combo’s simplicity: It lets you focus on creating a good story rather than spending time flipping through rulebooks to look up spells."
Yeah also their magic spells being classed by alphabetical order isn't the most newbie friendly thing ever.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 12, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah they said they are putting some of the Sword Coast Adventure guide stuff and EE stuff in the book so you don't have to look in three different places for some stuff.

Anyway I love anything that is named Danse Macabe. I wonder what it does.

Aw, that’s nice. More reprints and wasted space in the book.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Deptfordx posted:

So played our first session of Storm Kings Thunder last night, it went very well.

My party looks like a poster for diversity. We have a Dragonborn, Aassimeer, Gnome, Firbolg, Dwarf and Human. And the closest thing to a party spellcaster is a single Bard (Edit: Oh yeah. Forgot the Paladin), so that ought to be interesting.

So what I was wondering was can anyone recommend low-level modules that can slot neatly into the SKT campaign. The initial level gain is far to fast for my tastes so I want to spin out those first few levels till they hit level 5 and are ready to move into the main plot and I'm too busy at the moment to write new stuff myself.

N.b. They're already in the Sword Coast as I moved Nightstone to being up in the Icewind Dale region and am skipping the whole Zephyros encounter which I didn't like.
You might be able to do Sunless Citadel pretty easily since I think it's in the general area.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That chart outright says that multi-classers count each class individually, so of course Human (extra feat, skills) Fighter (probably the best one level dip class) tops the chart.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

"Players who pick the avian aarakocra are most likely to adventure as martial artist monks, filling the skies of the Forgotten Realms with Jet Li Big Birds."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if that gets used to justify current Fighter design I am going to scream

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

gradenko_2000 posted:

if that gets used to justify current Fighter design I am going to scream

Start screaming

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

SettingSun posted:

That chart outright says that multi-classers count each class individually, so of course Human (extra feat, skills) Fighter (probably the best one level dip class) tops the chart.

Toplowtech posted:

People prefer the race that can give them more feats, skills? Shocking.

Yeah also their magic spells being classed by alphabetical order isn't the most newbie friendly thing ever.

I don't see any restriction in the article on users that purchased vs free users. So given feats are not part of the SRD, I'd guess that he vast majority of users chose the normal human instead of variant and did not select feats at all.

I'm guessing that human fighter is significantly overrepresented in the first month due to people making the most generic character they could think of in order to test the workings

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

kirtar posted:

You might be able to do Sunless Citadel pretty easily since I think it's in the general area.

Just looked at it, too low level, they'll be 2nd by the time they've finished all the Nightstone threads, but that led me to the next adventure in Yawning Portal, Forges of Fury, which with a little tweaking might do very well.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

What do you do when you roll 100, twice, on the magic loot table. The fates have decided the rarest item should belong to your party. And also they should have two of it. I guess I could do it and have everyone fight over themselves to see who waves the wand first every time they enter a room, or I just look at those 90's items and pick an interesting one for them? If I just reroll they'll get a healing potion instead and that seems unfair even if I'm the only person who noticed the substitution.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Krinkle posted:

What do you do when you roll 100, twice, on the magic loot table. The fates have decided the rarest item should belong to your party. And also they should have two of it. I guess I could do it and have everyone fight over themselves to see who waves the wand first every time they enter a room, or I just look at those 90's items and pick an interesting one for them? If I just reroll they'll get a healing potion instead and that seems unfair even if I'm the only person who noticed the substitution.

They may have two of it, but the wands' magic is powered of the spirits of two lovers. Apart they function normally, if less spectacularly, but used together (by two different characters) their effects are much greater.

Or, just pick something else that'd be really good for the party.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pick something that will be really good for the campaign, even. Having a sought-after artifact can be like parking your car in the wrong part of town.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Is one player playing a relatively underpowered build? You could give them something powerful that brings them more in line with all the crossbow fighters.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Deptfordx posted:

So played our first session of Storm Kings Thunder last night, it went very well.

My party looks like a poster for diversity. We have a Dragonborn, Aassimeer, Gnome, Firbolg, Dwarf and Human. And the closest thing to a party spellcaster is a single Bard (Edit: Oh yeah. Forgot the Paladin), so that ought to be interesting.

So what I was wondering was can anyone recommend low-level modules that can slot neatly into the SKT campaign. The initial level gain is far to fast for my tastes so I want to spin out those first few levels till they hit level 5 and are ready to move into the main plot and I'm too busy at the moment to write new stuff myself.

N.b. They're already in the Sword Coast as I moved Nightstone to being up in the Icewind Dale region and am skipping the whole Zephyros encounter which I didn't like.

Forge of Fury could be fun to slot in at that level. Being a level 3 to 5 or something like that module.

Edit:Just saw you came to that conclusion first.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 12, 2017

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Literally the only anomalies are critical role characters lol

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

What's the least popular character type you ever made? I made a Goliath rogue down at 139. An andre the giant sized oaf who would go all pink panther bent knee skulking and try to pick your pocket with his basketball palming hands.

If multiclasses were here, it would probably be my gnome wizard who immediately multiclassed into barbarian.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 12, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

kingcom posted:

Literally the only anomalies are critical role characters lol

What anomalies?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I just started my very first D&D game and rolled a human rogue with plans to multiclass a level of fighter, so sorry for being part of the problem

(if I could start over, I'd just be a fighter)

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Ainsley McTree posted:

I just started my very first D&D game and rolled a human rogue with plans to multiclass a level of fighter, so sorry for being part of the problem

(if I could start over, I'd just be a fighter)

Don't apologize, one to two levels of rogue owns.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

What anomalies?

Anything thats not human and playing the very clear cut optimal race + class combo.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

kingcom posted:

Anything thats not human and playing the very clear cut optimal race + class combo.

Half-Elf Druid and Gnome Cleric & Bard are the only weird Critler characters and those are still real rare.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The other kind of weird anomaly in that 538 chart is classes with rarely-used races that still have optimal stats. Like, on paper it should be fine, those races just get passed over.

From a quick look -
Halfling sorc and warlock (but not bard).
Dragonborn and tiefling bards (but both are popular sorcs).
Dwarf druid (but not cleric).
Half-elves are good at everything by design and super popular, but only have 153 barbarians - far fewer than other martial classes, and second-lowest race for barbs. Twice as many people went for a comedy-option halfling barb.

For a game this weekend I had made a fairly boring human sorc. Now thinking of going halfling instead and coming up with a new concept. The sorc's gimmick is 'you were born this way', so I was thinking maybe a magical experiment or secret weapons program gone wrong. Maybe someone wanted a loyal, living weapon that could infiltrate and strike anywhere, using subtle metamagic and stealth. But instead they got a halfling that couldn't be controlled, was still pretty dangerous, and eventually it broke out and is really pissed. Then I realized my character concept is a mashup of Jack from Mass Effect and that psychic kid from Stranger Things.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

ritorix posted:

The other kind of weird anomaly in that 538 chart is classes with rarely-used races that still have optimal stats. Like, on paper it should be fine, those races just get passed over.

The mistake people keep making - and this twelve trillion percent goes for the actual devs, too - is in assuming that most D&D players put any stock whatsoever in finding mechanical connections instead of just making the general character they think is cool.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Half-Elf Druid and Gnome Cleric & Bard are the only weird Critler characters and those are still real rare.

Yeah fair point, also apparently if you multi class you count as 1 in every class you took at least one level in. So everyone taking an arbitrary dip in fighter for extra action + heavy armour prof and then everything else in their proper class makes it super screwy.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

ProfessorCirno posted:

The mistake people keep making - and this twelve trillion percent goes for the actual devs, too - is in assuming that most D&D players put any stock whatsoever in finding mechanical connections instead of just making the general character they think is cool.

I'm not sure that's entirely true now that we have a chart. Brand new players, sure, they go for cool. But looking at popular races for each class, the majority are a stat-optimal race. Only a few are anomalies as kingcom pointed out. So a tiefling fighter might be cool - (an edgelord devil warrior!) but it's definitely been passed over for races with Str or Dex. People are loving crazy for elves and their stats make almost any class viable, but with barbarians there's a distinct about-face where folks went for Str races instead. Humans are super popular for what I'm guessing is an obvious reason, the feat.

It may also be that the early adopters on the first month of Beyond, in a game now several years old, are more inclined towards mechanical choices and actual table stats will be way different.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Is there any accounting for variant human over regular human? The details are probably there, just think if the devs utilised the data.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

ritorix posted:

I'm not sure that's entirely true now that we have a chart. Brand new players, sure, they go for cool. But looking at popular races for each class, the majority are a stat-optimal race. Only a few are anomalies as kingcom pointed out. So a tiefling fighter might be cool - (an edgelord devil warrior!) but it's definitely been passed over for races with Str or Dex. People are loving crazy for elves and their stats make almost any class viable, but with barbarians there's a distinct about-face where folks went for Str races instead. Humans are super popular for what I'm guessing is an obvious reason, the feat.

It may also be that the early adopters on the first month of Beyond, in a game now several years old, are more inclined towards mechanical choices and actual table stats will be way different.
Humans are also just insanely popular because people suck. When most video games let you play cool monster races, the vast majority of players still beeline to the most boring human option. While I'm sure over represented in this sample of specific nerds actively seeking a character builder, I'm sure D&D folks at large still mostly play humans and probably the non-variant at that.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Humans are also just insanely popular because people suck. When most video games let you play cool monster races, the vast majority of players still beeline to the most boring human option. While I'm sure over represented in this sample of specific nerds actively seeking a character builder, I'm sure D&D folks at large still mostly play humans and probably the non-variant at that.

Having humans be straight amazing stat and bonus wise is a pretty strong motivator when ordinarily I would play almost exclusively dragonbros and various monster friends. My group is going to be 3 tieflings, a Half-elf and a dragonborn so maybe thats not the best example.

For reference I've literally never played in a game with a dwarf pc.

EDIT: PC not NPC

kingcom fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 13, 2017

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

kingcom posted:

Having humans be straight amazing stat and bonus wise is a pretty strong motivator when ordinarily I would play almost exclusively dragonbros and various monster friends. My group is going to be 3 tieflings, a Half-elf and a dragonborn so maybe thats not the best example.

For reference I've literally never played in a game with a dwarf npc.

very few people want to be the short guy

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Elfgames posted:

very few people want to be the short guy

Yeah I guess so, I've had halflings and gnomes but I've never had a dwarf player.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'd wager real money that at least 60% of single class fighters in that list are named <blank>, <default name>, or some variation of "Fightor McTestington".

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I've had dwarves in every single table I've played or DM'd, yet I've yet to encounter a halfling or even a half-elf. "People don't like this in my experience" is a garbage metric.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Who doesn't, at some point, just want to be dollar store Gimli for a little while?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
let me just break out my Dwarf Fighter here called MC Killzalot ...

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
In my current group we have a dwarf rogue. No humans, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

No one plays a dwarf in my group's games because there is an implied expectation to be gruff voiced and/or Scottish and no one has the drive to do that.