Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You missed my favorite one which is the tree Schmendrick gives life to temporarily which promises that her love alone will make him immortal as she will capture all parts of him in her memories in a way no other living thing would choose to do, making him uniquely forever in her.

Seriously though, gently caress the butterfly he deserves eternal, agonizing death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

You missed my favorite one which is the tree Schmendrick gives life to temporarily which promises that her love alone will make him immortal as she will capture all parts of him in her memories in a way no other living thing would choose to do, making him uniquely forever in her.

Seriously though, gently caress the butterfly he deserves eternal, agonizing death.

I always forget because the tree has a big scary vagina mouth and big tree boobs and somehow still looks like a big cock and balls.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I am totally against unnecessarily reading sexual imagery into things, but wo

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also, the harpy has THREE boobs. THREE of them. I actually thought that was kind of inspired, since it wouldn't have occurred to me to design a harpy that way.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Please do not insult my Yonic and Phallic stereotype of boa wearing flirtatious older women friend.

I love King Haggard, and its not just because I'm into elaborate government housing programs.

Edit: The harpy design is great, but its definitely pretty classical in so far as its distinctly inhumanly hideous with the tits kind of tacked on to throw you off the "its just a bird"

I love the skeleton that just fucks with them, its how I would spend my immortality.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 12, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
King Haggard is one of the few "pathetic/powerful" villains that actually nails it. So good.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I also concur re: fuckery skeleton

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
As well as cat who is challenged on his benevolent fuckery and replies with "lol that's the best I can do while also being a piece of poo poo, i.e. a cat"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I agree as well regarding the cat. The film is full of dozens of one off characters who exist for a scene purely to impart some disjointed dialog about legacy or immortality or whatever and then straight up vanish to never show up again.

Edit: Lir, Schmendrick is giving you an out to admit that you aren't in love with a horse. TAKE IT

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Not only does it go on legacy, but also how one's wishes and desires aren't always the same or that reality doesn't always match expectations - like how the Unicorn refused to appear in front of the princess because she knows the princess doesn't really want it, how Fortuna's desire to have the immortals eventually kills her, or Haggard did get almost all the unicorns he so wants but he's still a miserable being, or how in the end the Unicorn is forever changed by the fact she had wanted something so deeply.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

I agree as well regarding the cat. The film is full of dozens of one off characters who exist for a scene purely to impart some disjointed dialog about legacy or immortality or whatever and then straight up vanish to never show up again.

Very true, but I like Brave Little Toaster for the same reasons. I like that you see people and you learn one or two things from them, maybe, and then move on. It seems disjointed but it's a lot closer to the narrative structure people actually experience in life.

The cat's point seems to be about tradition and identity, that he must remain true to the identity of his "kind" to ensure their combined legacy is cohesive. So his legacy is not so much as, the cat, but as a cat, for the sake of cats.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Or how Lir straight abandons his questing and his quest to write a song for her, knowing that he can not succeed at either. The film is melancholy as all hell.

On re-completion of the film, King Haggard remains awesome and I will fight anyone who gets in my way to collect all the unicorns uh hummel figurines.

Edit: I have always interpreted King Haggard's story to be the duality that collecting/hoarding something is fundamentally alienating and unrewarding, but that using the very thing you seek is itself destructive to your ability to have those things. A drinker of wine can not truly be a collector.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I do sort of admire that Haggard didn't bow to the pressures of what a king was meant to desire. He didn't like that poo poo and he told it to get gone. Unicorns make him happy, and Unicorns he shall have.

"Even if it kills him?" You loving bet, he knows it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pick posted:

I do sort of admire that Haggard didn't bow to the pressures of what a king was meant to desire. He didn't like that poo poo and he told it to get gone. Unicorns make him happy, and Unicorns he shall have.

King Haggard was an important role model for me if that wasn't obvious. Happiness is what you choose, even if it is stupid, pointless, beneath your station and involves kidnapping a staggering amount of white women.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ahaha gently caress I forgot this film ends with a loud but not triumphant "I'm Alive". gently caress you kids, this is the best it gets.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's also the first film I know that didn't immediately segue to the lazy showdown. One of the first, anyway. Amalthea meets Haggard and, like, talks to him for a while. She takes the time to listen to him, and he communicates with her. It's a lot more interesting.

(It's also why Ravenous is fun for the first half, and awesome in the second half.)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Ahaha gently caress I forgot this film ends with a loud but not triumphant "I'm Alive". gently caress you kids, this is the best it gets.

How about... thiiis visual?!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

\
|
ha ha your friend is probably going to die and you're so distraught! watch this! phbtttbtbtttttt haha! answer my riddle! ha ha it's full of poo poo!! ha ha!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pick posted:

How about... thiiis visual?!

Sorry, but it does not adequately capture the scene where he looks down at Lir coming home and casually drops that he doesn't love his son, doesn't care that he doesn't, doesn't care that you know he doesn't, but still treats him fine because its not like abusing Lir would make him happy either.

Ravenous is a crazy movie, and yes, most films are way better when you spend a lot of time with the villain.

Edit: The skeleton even mentions he has all of eternity to not give a gently caress about there predicament and thats why he will gently caress with them forever. It no longer matters.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Barudak posted:

For some reason that big boobed tree scared the poo poo out of me as a kid even though I was fine with everything else in the movie.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Sorry, but it does not adequately capture the scene where he looks down at Lir coming home and casually drops that he doesn't love his son, doesn't care that he doesn't, doesn't care that you know he doesn't, but still treats him fine because its not like abusing Lir would make him happy either.

That scene is motherfucking cold as ice and it owns.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Moon Atari posted:

For some reason that big boobed tree scared the poo poo out of me as a kid even though I was fine with everything else in the movie.

I know a lot of people who that scene hosed them up something fierce which is extra weird when as a viewer it follows the hideous death harpy promising oblivion for no reason other than it can as like a magic-powered scorpion from the scorpion and the frog except it isn't just its nature to be destructive, its its only joy in life.

A gal I knew adored this movie (she was, uh, one of those kinds of fans of unicorns) and she had to fastforward the tree scene since it freaked her out so bad.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Edit: The skeleton even mentions he has all of eternity to not give a gently caress about there predicament and thats why he will gently caress with them forever. It no longer matters.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

HOW DARE YOU!? HOW DARE YOU COME TO ME NOW, when I am THIS! :gonk:

This scene always makes me cry for reasons that are hard to explain and yet also very simple.

The last Unicorn is a good movie/book that gives me a lot of complicated emotions.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So it's the spooky time of year...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av78r69-w64

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i'm watching the last unicorn right now, i think i last saw it when i was about 6

i'm aliiiiiive
i'm aliiiiiiiiiiiiive

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
this butterfly makes me feel like i'm having a stroke

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i must have repressed the childhood memories of watching a man get molested by a tree

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
omg this prince is a dweeb

a nurr hurr i wanna gently caress the horse but it won't let me nurrrr

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
the cat owns though

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
well that was good but the loving dumbass unicorn was weak as piss, always needing men to do things for her, molly grue is lucky she never showed up, she would have completely ruined her life. stupid pony thing

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I haven't seen The Last Unicorn since I was best friends with a girl who likes Unicorns. In 1994.

I guess I'm doing this, this weekend.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

This scene always makes me cry for reasons that are hard to explain and yet also very simple.

The last Unicorn is a good movie/book that gives me a lot of complicated emotions.

Something that gets me is that that sequence follows Molly Grue’s entire known social circle (one of whom carved his affections for her into a tree) leaving and never once again appearing in the film. Like she isnt just old, her life is also in complete shambles it will not recover from.

Im Aliiiiive.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I tried to watch The Last Unicorn but that movie has trash animation and it's actually painful to watch. Good theme song though

Similarly, this movie is really hard to go back and watch because the animation is SO rough now. At least for me. The songs in this movie are still absolutely stellar though.

Also the animation the ghosts in this song owns

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
*head a-splode*

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

He's ancient, he's ugly, I don't know which is worse...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wont lie, never really cared for Nightmare Before Christmas. Super well animated and a decent song or two but as a film to watch Ive a hard time despite its short length.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I love TNBC and even have a 16" meta Jack head I put in the middle of my Christmas wreath.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Barudak posted:

Edit: I have always interpreted King Haggard's story to be the duality that collecting/hoarding something is fundamentally alienating and unrewarding, but that using the very thing you seek is itself destructive to your ability to have those things. A drinker of wine can not truly be a collector.

Clearly the answer is to play 40K where hording hundreds of models is not only encouraged, but necessary to play the game :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Barudak posted:

Something that gets me is that that sequence follows Molly Grue’s entire known social circle (one of whom carved his affections for her into a tree) leaving and never once again appearing in the film. Like she isnt just old, her life is also in complete shambles it will not recover from.

But she does recover, and that's what makes that scene so great: her whole life she's been told that beautiful and magical things only happen to women when they're young and pure, and now that she's no longer that way they'll never happen to her. But that was just a lie, and the moment she sees the Unicorn she realizes that. It's painful and overwhelming because she's been waiting for it for so long; but it's also wonderful because even though something magical isn't happening when it's supposed to happen it's still happening and it's still beautiful. It wasn't too late for her. Her life never goes back to what it was, instead it becomes something better. :unsmith: