Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

then what the hell are you trying to say

That the gov generally wasn't using kaspersky, instead it was contractors or employees at home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

LinYutang posted:

Installing Russian software on sensitive computers seems dumb but what do I know I don't work for the CIA's IT division

turns out letting contractors take classified information home and put it on their unsecured home computers is a bad idea

the bit that gets me is that the contractor was writing new tools to replace the stuff a previous contractor leaked

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Trabisnikof posted:

That the gov generally wasn't using kaspersky, instead it was contractors or employees at home
yes

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yeah durov did repeatedly get in big troubles

how is kaspersky considered a domestic software in the states

They're saying that it's on contractor computers, which would not be owned by the government, because contractors can buy whatever software they want while government has to preferentially purchase American software.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

ah, i see. that sounds like some bad opsec, the gov employees at home part :thunk:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Phlag posted:

More details on Kaspersky are dribbling out.
https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/918174932139462658
presumably in the same way cisco had to know about the remote exploiting of core routers to gather up data and inject malicious content?

signatures being a blackbox with no formal method of validating per-client has always been an issue, there's nothing stopping this from being a generic upstream method of gathering information from endpoints and kaspersky was burned due to stepping on too many toes

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

cinci zoo sniper posted:

ah, i see. that sounds like some bad opsec :thunk:

Are you suggesting that the Military-Industrial Complex's quarterly returns driven late-modern capitalism is somehow against the national security interests of the US?

:monocle:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

Are you suggesting that the Military-Industrial Complex's quarterly returns driven late-modern capitalism is somehow against the national security interests of the US?

:monocle:

not that elaborate. maybe you shouldn't take state secrets outside your office

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

cinci zoo sniper posted:

One and the same. I goddamn guarantee the employee wasn't getting paid for the hours but his company was billing the gov for them.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cinci zoo sniper posted:

don't worry, they definitely learned their lesson after chelsea manning and edward snowden

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

on that note there are at least 5 leakers unaccounted for despite all the arrests, nevermind the material other governments have nabbed but not mentioned publicly

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

anthonypants posted:

don't worry, they definitely learned their lesson after chelsea manning and edward snowden

... don't forget reality winner

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

infernal machines posted:

... don't forget reality winner
gently caress how could i forget

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

presumably in the same way cisco had to know about the remote exploiting of core routers to gather up data and inject malicious content?

signatures being a blackbox with no formal method of validating per-client has always been an issue, there's nothing stopping this from being a generic upstream method of gathering information from endpoints and kaspersky was burned due to stepping on too many toes

yuuuuup. sig distribution allows for pretty much unlimited rights to execute arbitrary actions, collect whatever, and push it back up to "~tHe ClOuD~"

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

anthonypants posted:

gently caress how could i forget

reality winner just doesn't sound like a real and memorable name like carl mark force iv

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

it sure would be a pain if a similar scenario happened but there wasn't a convenient foreign company to pin the blame on: https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/north-korea-allegedly-used-antivirus-software-to-steal-defense-secrets-1507736060

quote:

SEOUL—A breach of South Korea’s military database by suspected North Korean hackers originated in compromised third-party cybersecurity software and was made possible by an unintended connection to the internet, according to people familiar with the attack.

The cyberassault in September last year, in which South Korean and U.S. military secrets were stolen, caught South Korean officials off guard, the people said, because it occurred within a military intranet believed to have been cut off from the internet and therefore protected from outside hacks.

The stolen classified military documents included a joint U.S.-South Korean plan detailing how to eliminate the Pyongyang leadership in the event of war, according to U.S. defense officials and a South Korean lawmaker. U.S. defense officials said they didn’t see any impact on potential future military operations.

To gain entry, North Korean hackers first attacked a Seoul-based firm, Hauri Inc., which makes the antivirus software installed on computers used by South Korea’s military, the people said. The hackers then embedded the malware onto the antivirus software, allowing North Korean operatives to infiltrate military servers.

The hack was possible because of a failure to remove a connector jack linking the military intranet to the internet after maintenance work at the South Korean military’s newly built database center, the lawmaker, Rhee Cheol-hee, said Wednesday.

The intranet had been mistakenly connected to the internet for more than a year until Seoul found a possible breach in September 2016, said Mr. Rhee, a member of the ruling Democratic Party.

“It’s a ridiculous mistake,” he said in a phone interview. “They should have removed the connector jack immediately after maintenance work.”

The breach also could have put North Korean hackers in a position to unleash damage on critical South Korean infrastructure. Pyongyang has targeted South Korean government agencies before, with efforts focused on intimidation or destabilizing networks.

North Korea has denied involvement in previous hacking attacks on South Korea.

On Tuesday, cybersecurity firm FireEye Inc. said it had found unsuccessful recent attempts by hackers affiliated with North Korea to infiltrate U.S. electric power companies with spearphishing emails. FireEye didn’t specify the firms affected.

Some cybersecurity experts are skeptical North Korea’s hackers are advanced enough to succeed at such a ploy. “We haven’t seen them make that step yet to gain access to the infrastructure systems,” Bryce Boland, the Asia Pacific chief technology officer at FireEye, said in an interview. “Maybe they’re holding their cards, but our experience is that North Korea will cause disruption when they have the capability to do so.”

South Korea is no stranger to Pyongyang’s cyber tactics. Government groups and agencies are the target of some 1.4 million daily hacking attempts suspected to originate from North Korea, according to South Korean hacking experts.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
That's one way to bypass the air gap.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

cinci zoo sniper posted:

but my productivity will suffer if I can't have a specific certain of spider solitaire and irfanview and chome and just let me byodddddd

getting grownups to understand what a managed network is should not be this difficult but here we are

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

"if i find your personal poo poo in my network I'm declassifying it with a hammer" is a sentence i know people understand because i see them all reach for their phones when we say it, and yet every year I guarantee some schmuck will lose his toy because he just had to have that great photo on his desktop

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/arstechnica/status/917857493061120000

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

but my productivity will suffer if I can't have a specific certain of spider solitaire and irfanview and chome and just let me byodddddd

getting grownups to understand what a managed network is should not be this difficult but here we are

that and managers caving to the sperglords demanding to work from home because they code best in their my little pony wallpapered room listening to hatsune miku jams.

there's a place for that, but it's usually nowhere near classified material

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

cool maybe they'll finally figure out what is actually causing those pop ups to randomly occur on devices to begin with.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
e: on second though nm

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 12, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 12, 2017

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

infernal machines posted:

e: on second though nm

feel like I'm missing out on a great post here

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you can't trust client endpoints. so no, nothing to add

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jimmy Carter posted:

cool maybe they'll finally figure out what is actually causing those pop ups to randomly occur on devices to begin with.

I don't even remember the last time I was asked for my Apple ID password on my phone.

even then I'd have to go unlock 1Password to copy/paste it in to the dialog. certainly Apple needs to work on this

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

I don't even remember the last time I was asked for my Apple ID password on my phone.

congrats on never installing updates I guess

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

here's a thought about the Kaspersky poo poo: the example being discussed is a single hop where the antivirus was on the machine with the target files. is it not also nearly a certainty that Russian intelligence used this as a starting point for much deeper infiltration?

I was thinking that if you had the means and dedication of a state actor the antivirus network would be very useful as part of an operation to break into a secured system. Even if the secured system didn't have the antivirus it is likely that one of the software or hardware providers for the secured system would and you could use it to easily get source code for that software or firmware to find 0-days. or even worse you could potentially use the root access of the antivirus to place an exploit or even an air-gap jumping data collector like Stuxnet in a relatively difficult to notice manner.

jfc what a nightmare.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it turns out having remotely updateable/accessible software with ring-0 access is a security nightmare

whoda thunk it?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shifty Pony posted:

here's a thought about the Kaspersky poo poo: the example being discussed is a single hop where the antivirus was on the machine with the target files. is it not also nearly a certainty that Russian intelligence used this as a starting point for much deeper infiltration?

I was thinking that if you had the means and dedication of a state actor the antivirus network would be very useful as part of an operation to break into a secured system. Even if the secured system didn't have the antivirus it is likely that one of the software or hardware providers for the secured system would and you could use it to easily get source code for that software or firmware to find 0-days. or even worse you could potentially use the root access of the antivirus to place an exploit or even an air-gap jumping data collector like Stuxnet in a relatively difficult to notice manner.

jfc what a nightmare.

unrelated, but how would airgap exfil happen here?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/10/equifax-website-hacked-again-this-time-to-redirect-to-fake-flash-update/

please, i can't laugh anymore, my sides

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Well, poo poo; I was going to post that.

quote:

In May credit reporting service Equifax's website was breached by attackers who eventually made off with Social Security numbers, names, and a dizzying amount of other details for some 145.5 million US consumers. For several hours on Wednesday the site was compromised again, this time to deliver fraudulent Adobe Flash updates, which when clicked, infected visitors' computers with adware that was detected by only three of 65 antivirus providers.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

akadajet posted:

congrats on never installing updates I guess

Just asks me for my PIN.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

holy moly

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Just asks me for my PIN.

Not when you do major updates. From like ios 10 -> 11

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

inverse security fuckup at my friend's work:

they apparently were being ddosed by some eastern european script kiddie, rendering their product website shoddily accessible. dude so wanted to get ransom that he blindly chatted away with the ceo of the company for 2 days straight while it and sec departments were pulling 48 hour straight of ot with almost the literal sleeping in the office to fix the bad parts of infrastructure, get some ddos protection going, and collect any possible information about the guy for law enforcement.

once they were done, ceo was like "sorry mate, we changed our mind"

:laffo:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
major updates ask for your icloud password as part of a special ui flow, that's not what's being spoofed here and it would be much harder for third party apps to fake

I can't remember the last time I've seen that l/p popup dialog, it should only appear if you try to do something involving icloud but you aren't signed in in system prefs

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
who were the people i accused of being overly paranoid about home assistants constantly recording and sending audio to google/amazon so i can apologize?

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/10/16456050/google-home-mini-always-recording-bug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

cinci zoo sniper posted:

unrelated, but how would airgap exfil happen here?

versions of the software on air gapped systems would hide data packets on the hand carried USB drives used to carry data/updates to or from the air gapped systems. then when that drive was attached to a system which was internet connected and also infected the data is gotten out using more traditional means.

this is not some theoretical PoC either, it has been seen in the wild :nsa:

• Locked thread