Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Why would anyone voluntarily want to live in this portal to hell?

What part of town are you looking at?

She went to school at ASU and loved the weather there and I’m willing to embrace heat death so we will see. I don’t know the area at all, she said on the east side of the Phoenix area (I think? Tempe or Scottsdale or Phoenix were the cities she mentioned)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Kashuno posted:

Anybody here in Phoenix or the surrounding area? Wife really has her heart set on the area in the next couple years and I’m trying to get a feel for the market

I lived there about 11 years ago, spent 10 years there. I don't miss the place. Still have a lot of friends there though, IT market is pretty decent.

Unless you have family there, find somewhere else to live, it's loving miserable 8.5 months out of the year and really doesn't have many redeeming qualities.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I visited the area for a week and have strong opinions.

Tempe is ok, Scottsdale is poo poo.

People there wear coats when it's 70 degrees out and it's weird.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

The Fool posted:

People there wear coats when it's 70 degrees out and it's weird.

I know this is a thing, but every time I think about it I'm like "Soooooooooorry?"

Then again I come from t-shirts and shorts when it's -5C outside (23F) so I'm properly bias in the other direction.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Tempe is pretty rad. I live on the edge of Tempe, so I get to be 5 minutes away from cool stuff, but far enough away that I don't get to deal with college kids.

I don't know how I feel about Scottsdale, other than some nice restaurants I get a real bad vibe from the place.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'm not trying to be dramatic when I say if my choice was killing myself or moving to Arizona I'd have to really think about it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It's not that bad. Sure, it's nine months of hot weather, but in between you get three months where it's extremely hot.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

CLAM DOWN posted:

This industry is infested with loving libertarians so the fact there's open racists like this isn't surprising either.

The weird part is they're mostly mid-level system administrators that undercut themselves in compensation and can't even write a line of bash or Powershell.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

[quote="“skipdogg”" post="“477289389”"]
I lived there about 11 years ago, spent 10 years there. I don’t miss the place. Still have a lot of friends there though, IT market is pretty decent.

Unless you have family there, find somewhere else to live, it’s loving miserable 8.5 months out of the year and really doesn’t have many redeeming qualities.
[/quote]

It's bizarre how Phoenix is popular. Didn't Intel make a huge campus?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

The weird part is they're mostly mid-level system administrators that undercut themselves in compensation and can't even write a line of bash or Powershell.

Yup, it's really odd tbh

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Tab8715 posted:

It's bizarre how Phoenix is popular. Didn't Intel make a huge campus?

I thought Intel was in Albuquerque.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GreenNight posted:

100% uptime! You have no evidence of issues, so there has been no issues.

We have always been at war with Eastasia.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Bad day at work. Consolidating my team and someone else's. Get to keep my manager title, but no longer managing anyone. Between me and him, yeah, he's the better leader. If it's me or him, it's him. I'm still growing.

However, the fact that I found out on a conference call today, with both teams in attendance, getting blindsided like that, means I'm not a very happy Stripe right now. Frankly I am pretty steamed.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

May your tribe increase, brother, but I urge you to hustle for some directs or for a new title as quick as you can. Every place I've worked, managers without direct reports are first to go at RIF time.

Edit: Not that it's your first rodeo - sorry if I sound condescending.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

no longer managing anyone ... found out on a conference call today, with both teams

Holy poo poo get out.

Good luck Stripe.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
In other news I have taken the tack of not even acknowledging the director's unrealistic requests (you have two weeks!) and instead just provide with status updates based on what can actually occur each week. He angrily called me a perfectionist but otherwise his projects are a lot less stressful, actually release with required features, and my immediate manager seems to have my back.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Zorak of Michigan posted:

May your tribe increase, brother, but I urge you to hustle for some directs or for a new title as quick as you can. Every place I've worked, managers without direct reports are first to go at RIF time.

Edit: Not that it's your first rodeo - sorry if I sound condescending.

Cirofren posted:

Holy poo poo get out.

Good luck Stripe.
See I don't know, I might be fine. Our organization is large enough where I see plenty of managers and even a few directors without direct reports. I suppose I've just been shuttled off to whatever lonely island they occupy while the company waits for me to die. If I do let go, I'll make sure to negotiate a good severance and I'm taking a few months off from this poo poo. I guess I wake up as just a sys admin tomorrow? Hell if I know. I could see myself becoming antagonistic, because My Guys already handle the day to day tasks, and they'll continue to do that, because I won't be stepping back down the ladder at this company.

The most frustrating part for me was that it happened on a conference call. So, what, you just took me out to this fancy dinner to break up with me because I can't make a scene in this restaurant? Just completely neuter me like that, with no recourse? Bad, very bad form.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The most frustrating part for me was that it happened on a conference call. So, what, you just took me out to this fancy dinner to break up with me because I can't make a scene in this restaurant? Just completely neuter me like that, with no recourse? Bad, very bad form.

Start doing the certs / courses you were wanting to do in the bosses time.

They are clearly trying to gently caress you over so I would do whatever helps yourself the most while waiting for the severance package.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Super Slash posted:

Oh yes, unless it's something I can do without needing creds or extra information taking a phone call means I'm leaving in 5 minutes and coming back later, same goes for being summoned and person doesn't appear/wonders off. Being left to look like a moron sitting around doing nothing is both disrespectful and time wasting.

I have a billing code for that poo poo :colbert:

ps. Tucson is much nicer, and never hits the same high temps that Phoenix does.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
We just hired a person. Even though lots of people got layed off.
I don't know what this company is planning anymore.

Edit: sorry that that happened to you MC. Finding it out that way really sucks.

Sefal fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Oct 12, 2017

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Sefal posted:

We just hired a person. Even though lots of people got layed off.
I don't know what this company is planning anymore.

Edit: sorry that that happened to you MC. Finding it out that way really sucks.

I take that to mean they couldn't afford current employees, so they're dumping them in favor of cheaper, newer employees they can start at the bottom end of the pay grade. Not the best sign for the business.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I take that to mean they couldn't afford current employees, so they're dumping them in favor of cheaper, newer employees they can start at the bottom end of the pay grade. Not the best sign for the business.

I bet all the executives got raises and/or bonuses though.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Colonial Air Force posted:

I bet all the executives got raises and/or bonuses though.

Well yeah, they came up with the plan! You have to give exorbitant bonuses to retain talent like that.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Bad day at work.

Goondolences. This happened to my old boss after I had left to move to dev from QA awhile before. He was a group manager with no people and then a year later they demoted him to team lead and gave him one report and no salary change. His one report left for another job so he is a no report team lead now. Dude just kinda does what he wants and shows up at all the management meetings. He told me he feels like Milton from Office Space but gets paid to much to :yotj: to anywhere else as not management. He's made it 3 years this way and I think it's totally hosed up his career path.

I'd take a hard look at what your advancements and long term career path are moving forward. "Who did this to me?" Is probably a good place to start.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

See I don't know, I might be fine. Our organization is large enough where I see plenty of managers and even a few directors without direct reports. I suppose I've just been shuttled off to whatever lonely island they occupy while the company waits for me to die. If I do let go, I'll make sure to negotiate a good severance and I'm taking a few months off from this poo poo. I guess I wake up as just a sys admin tomorrow? Hell if I know. I could see myself becoming antagonistic, because My Guys already handle the day to day tasks, and they'll continue to do that, because I won't be stepping back down the ladder at this company.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Bad day at work. Consolidating my team and someone else's. Get to keep my manager title, but no longer managing anyone. Between me and him, yeah, he's the better leader. If it's me or him, it's him. I'm still growing.

However, the fact that I found out on a conference call today, with both teams in attendance, getting blindsided like that, means I'm not a very happy Stripe right now. Frankly I am pretty steamed.

Does the other guy work from home?

I didn't have a good day either and I am on day 5/15 of paid leave. Turns out my boss got an award today. I was really stoked for him. I got wind of it by other people on Skype and even told him "grats" on text when I heard.

The downside turns out is what he got an award for. In the email that the CEO sent out singing his praises were mentions of major projects that were crucial and done in short order. All these projects were my projects, that started as initiatives that I started all on my own, most with only his involvement being the guy who hears it at a 1 on 1 meeting.

I get that my boss didn't give himself the award. I get that most things like this are just overdue and the CEO might have just assumed this work was his all on his own. I get that I should be flattered that my projects at least are getting noticed. I am very miffed though. First time for me. It's going to be the first meeting I have when I get back in two weeks.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I wouldn't be surprised if this 24 year old 'boss' doesn't throw credit your way. He probably doesn't have enough experience to understand that he didn't earn the award by hiring you, you earned it by bailing him out.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
You know, back when I was a manager, I made sure to deflect all praise from myself, directly onto my guys. When I was a manager. :cry:

THE WOUND! IT'S TOO FRESH!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

You know, back when I was a manager, I made sure to deflect all praise from myself, directly onto my guys. When I was a manager. :cry:

THE WOUND! IT'S TOO FRESH!

I'm much closer to the bottom of the latter, but at least there it's worked well for me to be courteous and give credit where credit is due. Not many managers like someone who's self-aggrandizing, and having a reputation for being fair and evenhanded when it comes to giving credit is not a bad thing to have at all.

It also means my coworkers really like me, and that's always a nice bonus.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 12, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if this 24 year old 'boss' doesn't throw credit your way. He probably doesn't have enough experience to understand that he didn't earn the award by hiring you, you earned it by bailing him out.

Eh, he isn't 24 and it was totally my bad for assuming so. He is actually a year older than me. Some people just look like babies. But after saying that, yes, he doesn't have proper experience and is totally self taught. That is admirable, but under close scrutiny you can see the cracks in the way he had designed things and most of the work I have done of late was cleaning up his old messes.

The story goes that my boss was 1 of 2 system admins. The other system admin left when my boss was promoted to his boss. This is a little funny because all of the important systems here has the other admins fingerprints on it with only a few non-important ones being previous pets of my boss. I know what everyone was working on not because of documentation, but because both had a horrible habit of using their own accounts for auth systems instead of service accounts. Its pretty clear to me that the previous admin did most of the work and got out maneuvered. It happens. The previous admin was also pretty antisocial and that isn't the way to play the game these days.

My boss is a very interesting fellow. I get that most middle managers are in a lot of meetings and are generally looking for ways to get out of them. Not my boss. My boss loves meetings. My boss on average is in a meeting for more than 6 hours a day. I know this because he is never around and he is great about using his calendar to track these meetings. He can turn anything into a meeting. His goal appears to be in so many meetings that he doesn't have to manage anyone (they give up and just work independently). Thank goodness that he only has 3 reports.

He plays the game in a very bold way. His constant meetings allow him to get access to information he normally wouldn't have access to. He doesn't make it a habit to share this information even if its relevant. He gets wind that the sales SVP just got notified that he is being replaced? He sits on it and does nothing while the new SVP starts without accounts/access/computer/etc. Seating assignments about to change for the office expansion? Won't even share this info with the desktop guys so they can plan the moves. Everything he gets he treats like government secrets that only he should know. If you rely on him for information you are going to be the last to know. He positions himself to be a filter of information for everyone he works with. He is loving Lord Varys of my company but a million times less useful.

He is a very pleasant guy though. If I didn't have to work with him we would probably be friends. I assume this is why he got the award and is so beloved by all. He might be a sociopath though.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

Kashuno posted:

Anybody here in Phoenix or the surrounding area? Wife really has her heart set on the area in the next couple years and I’m trying to get a feel for the market

Late to the party, but I live in central Phoenix and work for a big company who's IT is based in Glendale (with second datacenter in Phoenix as well). IT market is actually picking up. Since I've been here I've had no issues finding work. If you want I can hook you up with a few recruiters who've helped me out a few times?

As for all the people saying "gently caress that it's hot". They aren't wrong, from June - Oct is typically hot as balls... but you really do get used to it and it's just the opposite of everyone else where they spend all winter inside, we spend summer days inside and go out when the sun is down. Once you've handled a single summer here you'll realize the winters are worth it, especially if you've lived someplace cold and hated it. Aint gotta shovel sun shine.

As for area's, for what we do you're likely going to want to stay on the east end of the valley a bit, but honestly there are nice areas everywhere, and there are lovely areas everywhere. If you want to be house poor and live by rich white people then Scottsdale is for you. If you are looking for a more "family" atmosphere, Chandler, Gilbert, and Mesa are good. Tempe is cool if you don't mind being close to a College. Central Phoenix is hit and miss as far as "niceness" but I like where I live because it's 20-30 minutes from pretty much anything I want (including downtown) and I can quickly hit the 17 and get out of town north to Flag when the weather is hot.

Edit: Also, get a place with a pool... one of the saving factors of living here has been going home and chilling in the pool when it's hot.

TheFace fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 12, 2017

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Which one of you goons did this.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Which one of you goons did this.

don't doxx me please

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I'm his apperance and expereince.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Agrikk posted:

I'm his apperance and expereince.

Well, I guess I'm the challeng of his girlfriend's phisique.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Well, that rejection came nice and fast at least. :(

I wish I hadn't wasted a day yesterday with a 3 hour round trip for something they could have asked me over the phone, though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

woops

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
lol @ Equifax website redirected to fake flash installer malware now :waycool:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Holy loving jesus. So there is this old coot around here who sadly enough a lot of people go to for computer repairs. Its in the sticks so there are no actual storefronts you can go to. The poo poo this guy pulls, and without knowing a single god drat thing, its unreal.

One laptop someone had me fix that they had brought to him first, I noticed the hard drive cover was hanging off. They had brought it to him and he "couldn't fix it". I looked up the specs of the computer and it came with a 500gb drive, so why was there only a 320 in it now? He had swapped it out and sent it back thinking they'd never get it working and find out anyway. To make the best of it, there was gently caress all wrong with the laptop.

I have one on my desk now that he loving destroyed somehow, half a dozen or so screwholes are just hosed. And he drills these copper things into laptops to try and hold them together and it just makes it worse. He charged this young woman, who lives in low income housing and is a mother, $70 to put a "new fan" in it, plus another $10 to deliver it back to her as she doesn't drive. Never worked first or last. When I took it apart, the (presumably) stock fan is still there, seized and a fin cracked off it and all. $11 it cost me to get a new one. I noticed its running W10 Pro...but its just a consumer grade Acer, license sticker intact on the bottom that shows it should be Home. Why loving put a pirated version on when you could just use the loving authentic key?

When he "cleans" computers, ugh. He backs up peoples poo poo, puts it in a folder called "For [user]", and then places that right in the root of the Users folder when he puts Windows back on. So instead of going to users/pictures to get your pictures, you go to users/for me/pictures. Yes yes its just another level down but its needless and the existing shortcuts for your libraries wont hit anything. Then he puts CCleaner on every machine and a pirated copy of Office 2007. He doesn't clean install Windows 10, just puts on a pirated version of 7 if he cant figure out how to factory restore and upgrades from that.

Someone brought me this lovely Asus laptop he had botched, I forget what was wrong with it in the first place but he had managed to reduce it to being stuck on a BIOS password when you turned it on. Took a bit of digging to figure that one out.

/vent

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

codo27 posted:

Holy loving jesus. So there is this old coot around here who sadly enough a lot of people go to for computer repairs. Its in the sticks so there are no actual storefronts you can go to. The poo poo this guy pulls, and without knowing a single god drat thing, its unreal.
Sounds like the iron is hot enough to start a competing repair business if people actually use this dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Have any of you jerks made the jump over to technical sales? I was chatting with some technical sales dude on the plane a few weeks ago and he said the jump was hard, but he liked the facetime and idea he is helping people with a solution that works. I've been trying to move for a bit now to be closer to MY GIRLFRIEND but she is in a much smaller town and the mid level IT person jobs don't really exist there. A 30-50% travel regional sales gig could be the ticket to face time technical work while living somewhere that I would otherwise struggle to find engaging work.

That or I'm getting out of IT and like, running a game store or something.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Well, that rejection came nice and fast at least. :(

I wish I hadn't wasted a day yesterday with a 3 hour round trip for something they could have asked me over the phone, though.

was it the seafood thing

it was the seafood thing