Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yeah, that's the first Thunderjaw fight if you're a drat scrub. :colbert:

I always go for that lone Thunderjaw north of the bandit camp en route to Meridian. You can also usually get some patrolling Carja soldiers to join in that fight, as well as some sick-nasty photomode shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Hzd is so so sooo good

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Fighting the thunderjaw (the three times I did it) is the highlight of the game for me. Once you steal its disc launcher you're in a crazy new world of destruction.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I hope in the sequel you'll be able to jump onto the big robodinos and fight them SotC style. Wrestling with a Stormbird 1,000 feet in the air while it's trying to buck you off would elevate the gameplay to GOAT status.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yeah, that's the first Thunderjaw fight if you're a drat scrub. :colbert:

That's the first one I fought but it was because I was wandering randomly and stumbled upon the Cauldron. Was the second one I found.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but some of the fights against the bigger dinomachines in HZD are starting to feel like a repetitive slog where I find myself constantly running around and plinking them with the same few sets of weapons. Kind of like a cycle on repeat. I've started to just avoid the bigger machines now, because I'd rather just get on with whatever else I was doing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Montalvo posted:

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but some of the fights against the bigger dinomachines in HZD are starting to feel like a repetitive slog where I find myself constantly running around and plinking them with the same few sets of weapons. Kind of like a cycle on repeat. I've started to just avoid the bigger machines now, because I'd rather just get on with whatever else I was doing.

Tie em down, freeze em, hit em with explodey ammo works well.

Alternatively sneak up to a group and override one so you can have a buddy. Overriding a ravager and kiting glinthawks over towards its turf (over by that one Oseram town in the mountains where they get attacked by glinthawks) is something everyone should experience.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Montalvo posted:

If you’re configured right you should be tearing the poo poo out of their outer armor and components with every hit, which I find incredibly satisfying every time.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Samurai Sanders posted:

If you’re configured right you should be tearing the poo poo out of their outer armor and components with every hit, which I find incredibly satisfying every time.

I was getting my rear end beat by those crab things until I got the bow with the explosive tear arrows. I had enough resources to make like four of them. I fired one off and watching half the robot blow apart was insanely rewarding.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Montalvo posted:

None of the big robos take more than a couple minutes to defeat even on V-Hard + Ultra if you exploit their weaknesses and bring along the appropriate weapons. After you scan them with the Focus for the first time, you can look at their vulnerabilities in the bestiary under the collections submenu to get a closer look at all the individual weakpoints. Bringing along some form of tear becomes essential toward picking apart their armor and then inducing elemental effects. Shooting elemental canisters with an arrow of the corresponding element will create a megasplosion taking off a huge chunk of health. Setting machines on fire causes them to panic and melt armor plates. Freeze makes them take double damage and you can fire off a triple volley of 2,000+ HP sharpshot arrows once you stack the effect. The Ropecaster upgraded with handling mods becomes a wire-spitting chaingun to hold them in place. There's some room for flexibility in your loadouts but typically you always want to have some combination of A) hold stuff down, B) tear stuff off, C) elemental effects, and D) do the megadamage.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I wonder if future Horizon games will make it so easy to stack damage bonuses like crazy until your bow might as well be a rapid fire rocket launcher with hundreds of shots?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

In NG+ with adept weapons I finally noticed that equipment does have a hard cap on bonus so past that, you can stack other mods.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wonder if future Horizon games will make it so easy to stack damage bonuses like crazy until your bow might as well be a rapid fire rocket launcher with hundreds of shots?

We live in that world right now, my friend (first 11 seconds of video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJUyln6-XVI

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

Fighting the thunderjaw (the three times I did it) is the highlight of the game for me. Once you steal its disc launcher you're in a crazy new world of destruction.

It's a really fun time the first you knock the launchers off, kill the thunderjaw, and have ammo left over to gently caress up the sawtooths that are nearby.

I NG+'d into the highest difficulty level, and went right for the usual thunderjaw everyone fights in the wild- the one on that chokepoint path to Meridian. Went through both disc launchers, all direct hits, and still burned through a lot of ropeshots and arrows putting it down then. Still felt good.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Oh neat, I just realized I can add local files to the PC Spotify app, and then play those on PS4. This effectively works like last-gen local streaming (with commercials). I used to shuffle my personal music library on Xbox 360 all the time, so it feels good to have that capability again! I can even skip songs using my phone's lockscreen, which feels so slick.

So what's actually going on under the hood there? I noticed some inconsistency in the album art, which leads me to believe the PS4 is actually finding remote track equivalents hosted on Spotify and playing those. Makes me wonder if I've got a handful of unplayable tracks. I'll have to play around with it a bit.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It could just be searching for the album art through its own service and still playing your actual local files.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

None of the big robos take more than a couple minutes to defeat even on V-Hard + Ultra if you exploit their weaknesses and bring along the appropriate weapons. After you scan them with the Focus for the first time, you can look at their vulnerabilities in the bestiary under the collections submenu to get a closer look at all the individual weakpoints. Bringing along some form of tear becomes essential toward picking apart their armor and then inducing elemental effects. Shooting elemental canisters with an arrow of the corresponding element will create a megasplosion taking off a huge chunk of health. Setting machines on fire causes them to panic and melt armor plates. Freeze makes them take double damage and you can fire off a triple volley of 2,000+ HP sharpshot arrows once you stack the effect. The Ropecaster upgraded with handling mods becomes a wire-spitting chaingun to hold them in place. There's some room for flexibility in your loadouts but typically you always want to have some combination of A) hold stuff down, B) tear stuff off, C) elemental effects, and D) do the megadamage.

Thanks. I've mostly been using a combination of sharpshooter bow and tripcaster so I'll branch out and add the ropecaster and the bow that fires elemental arrows into the mix and see how that goes.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

BoowwaaannnnBOOM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB2zqcdiufU

I now have a pavlovian response to this sound

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The first couple seconds of honk arrow as you come out of slow time is :discourse:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Tearblast arrow is tied with Bloodborne's parry as Most Satisfying PS4 Sound Effect. Maybe even higher

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

doingitwrong posted:

BoowwaaannnnBOOM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB2zqcdiufU

I now have a pavlovian response to this sound

Same. Get lots of tear mods and rip stuff apart.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I've been playing Gravity Rush 2 to unlock some stuff that will be unavailable after they shut down the servers. It's fun and chill as long as you ignore the story and wasted potential. It could have been so much more. I definitely have a love/hate relationship with that game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Tearblast arrow is tied with Bloodborne's parry as Most Satisfying PS4 Sound Effect. Maybe even higher

I also love that perfect parry in Hellblade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcxuY9T3018&t=8s

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

exquisite tea posted:

Was literally about to post this. It seems like you get an even more intense sound effect when Gramr is charged up.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 12, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

exquisite tea posted:

Hellblade was great, as a terrible Soulsborne parryer (thought I try) it was way easier or more forgiving or just better telegraphed in that game. I loved that combat. Super tense when surrounded.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I must be missing something about horizon because the game feel is utterly lackluster to me. playing titanfall 2 at the same time has really made it stand out when the incredible bass from tone's gun just about shakes my apartment with every shot, and then in horizon a bomb exploding five meters away makes this quiet muffled noise that sounds like it's much further away than it is. Bows almost always feel pathetic compared to guns so the game admittedly has an uphill battle to fight from the start due to its theme, but even arrow impacts against metal and nearby explosions sound dull and subdued. As an action game horizon is doing almost nothing for me. I want to like it but something is not there.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Hellblade was great, as a terrible Soulsborne parryer (thought I try) it was way easier or more forgiving or just better telegraphed in that game. I loved that combat. Super tense when surrounded.

For me the tension doesn't necessarily come from its difficulty, because it's not a very hard game to master, but from the oppressive setting and feeling of vulnerability. When Senua gets hit her expressions really show it, you can tell she's badly hurt, and the entire time at least three voices are screaming in your ear from every which direction. It was super uncomfortable and I mostly finished each fight in a wave of relief that it was over.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Digirat posted:

I must be missing something about horizon because the game feel is utterly lackluster to me. playing titanfall 2 at the same time has really made it stand out when the incredible bass from tone's gun just about shakes my apartment with every shot, and then in horizon a bomb exploding five meters away makes this quiet muffled noise that sounds like it's much further away than it is. Bows almost always feel pathetic compared to guns so the game admittedly has an uphill battle to fight from the start due to its theme, but even arrow impacts against metal and nearby explosions sound dull and subdued. As an action game horizon is doing almost nothing for me. I want to like it but something is not there.

You're not alone. The only thing that really kept me going was following the backstory. The present day stuff bored me and I tried to avoid combat whenever possible. I played Breath of the Wild not long after that and I was way more into it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Idk while the backstory was my favorite thing about it I could (and did) run around doing nothing but killing robots for hours simply for the sheer joy of it. I think the projectile based combat is incredibly satisfying.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

exquisite tea posted:

For me the tension doesn't necessarily come from its difficulty, because it's not a very hard game to master, but from the oppressive setting and feeling of vulnerability. When Senua gets hit her expressions really show it, you can tell she's badly hurt, and the entire time at least three voices are screaming in your ear from every which direction. It was super uncomfortable and I mostly finished each fight in a wave of relief that it was over.

It wasn't 'difficult' but being surrounded, and your voices desperately crying to dodge something you didn't even know had spawned behind you was heart pounding. I feel like the dynamic difficulty killed you once real early and then was lenient. But during fights I never knew when/if I could survive something and that was a great nervous feeling.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There's something so natural feeling about Tomb Raider + Horizon bow mechanics that I really love, I suppose in the same way that people find Soulsborne controls intuitive (I don't).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Renoistic posted:

I've been playing Gravity Rush 2 to unlock some stuff that will be unavailable after they shut down the servers. It's fun and chill as long as you ignore the story and wasted potential. It could have been so much more. I definitely have a love/hate relationship with that game.

I hope they add that stuff to the single player. I plan on playing GR2 eventually but not right now.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Montalvo posted:

Thanks. I've mostly been using a combination of sharpshooter bow and tripcaster so I'll branch out and add the ropecaster and the bow that fires elemental arrows into the mix and see how that goes.

I highly recommend using a sling to apply elemental debuffs, but the war bow works fine too.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I switched from full frost sling in NG to warbow in NG+ ultra for popping cold and electric tanks off of things and applying frost, but kept the sling around and fire modded for specific enemies weak to that (drat near everything).

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

exquisite tea posted:

There's something so natural feeling about Tomb Raider + Horizon bow mechanics that I really love, I suppose in the same way that people find Soulsborne controls intuitive (I don't).

I feel the same way about Tomb Raider. I could play the whole game with just the bow, even if I do enjoy the guns as well.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

After playing Horizon I found the bow mechanics in Rise of the Tomb Raider to be rather lackluster actually

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I need to go back to HZD. I got a bit past Meridian and then got distracted (probably by Bloodborne and Nioh) and never went back to the game. Now every time I go to boot it up I fear the large amounts of walking and do something else.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

JBP posted:

I need to go back to HZD. I got a bit past Meridian and then got distracted (probably by Bloodborne and Nioh) and never went back to the game. Now every time I go to boot it up I fear the large amounts of walking and do something else.

It has a fast travel system

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It has a fast travel system
Even then though if you don’t appreciate video game walking through beautiful environments you’re not going to appreciate a huge chunk of Horizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Even then though if you don’t appreciate video game walking through beautiful environments you’re not going to appreciate a huge chunk of Horizon.

Yeah I've already done a lot of walking is my main thing and it's a great looking game. I'm sure it's just ubisoft syndrome and when I get back to it I will be pleased.