Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Two Beans posted:

I see that. Its just (and maybe it's just me) that I keep noticing animosity towards 100%ing games, even to the point where some devs will implement mechanics against 100%ing. Lisa, with its cloud you have to ride for 2 hours in realtime as it slowly drags you to a collectable. Undertale guilt-tripping the player for subsequent replays.

Mind you, I haven't fully beaten a game since DuckTales Remastered.

I mean, this animosity towards the player/viewer/reader/listener exists in all other forms of media and art, you're always going to have designers/creators who troll their audience. Is it commentary on something or just people being spiteful/mean? That I can't answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Two Beans posted:

I don't get this mentality. What's wrong with playing all of a game?

It's a matter of shades.

I really like this game and want to do every part of it because it's so awesome!! - Good

I want to do everything in the game least until I get something else to play/do - cool

I want to do everything because I need to make sure I squeeze every penny out of this no matter how much fun am not having - broke brain

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Impermanent posted:

it's genuinely very weird to ruin a game for yourself by playing it too much.

this is basically Destiny 2 in a nutshell for people who played nonstop for like 60 hours at launch

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Don't use a guide for nintendo games unless you are super stumped (it happens)

They are designed for even children to figure it out, I think looking up guides robs you of an experience that a developer might argue is "the whole point," running around in shrines and looking at the set pieces/manipulating them until something clicks feels great!

of course I'm not much of a completionist, I can't fathom the kind of free time a gamer who 100%'s games has, it's an extremely empty pursuit and you shouldn't do that to yourself because not only are there a fuckton of games out there, very very few are worth experiencing entirely from top to bottom

But yeah I agree that if you are a completionist then using a guide towards the end is probably the smartest use of your time and helps ensure more enjoyment

E: what lethalgeek said

I always go back to souls games for more, and that stems from a compulsion to experience that universe and live in it some more rather than getting achievements, no time spent on souls games is ever regretful for me

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

KingSlime posted:

of course I'm not much of a completionist, I can't fathom the kind of free time a gamer who 100%'s games has, it's an extremely empty pursuit and you shouldn't do that to yourself because not only are there a fuckton of games out there, very very few are worth experiencing entirely from top to bottom

There are a bunch of games where getting 100% of it is much more fun than completing any % of some other shittier game.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
oh yeah my response isn't touching upon even slightly mediocre games (life's too short for that), even between really amazing games worth your money there is a lot of content out there and I find myself having to prioritize something fierce

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

The Bloop posted:

lol

I mean, I used a guide for the last 10% of the Korok seeds, but the games are completely playable without a guide. You don't need to 100% it just to play it.

Everyone is obviously a spurious claim but do most people use a guide for games nowadays, other than the very occasional stuck spot?

I think most "gamers" whatever that means absolutely use guides for most of what they play, and devs seem to know that judging by all the impossible to find stuff. Also there's a number of games (with the prominent example being any recent Mario) that don't really offer any acceptable level of difficulty unless you're going for 100%. Whether it's fun or not it's up to the player of course, but I find levels like Champion's Road or the oldie but goodie Perfect Run the kind of thing that make mario games more interesting.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Mahoning posted:

I wonder how many bug reports are from people who played it on PC and are noticing things that first time players wouldn't? I'm guessing a lot if not most.

I've never played it on the PC, but cracking music doesn't really strike me as a first-time-only issue either way. I also thought my switch was freaking out until reading another person in this thread.

I've had some buggy interactions with moving items around. When I got the "super slingshot" it wouldn't let me exit the menu until I'd taken a duplicate one out and thrown away a good item, only for the dupe to disappear when I put it into a chest. Also the little ghost mice collection thing has some weirdness, like I'll be hovering over a bundle and it'll have the tooltip for the last item up. Backing out of the menu and going in again seems to clear it, haven't lost anything to that one yet. So yeah, first time playing the game ever, there's some obviously buggy behavior but it's still a fun game.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
If you look at xbox/steam/ps4 achievements, the number of people who even finish a game is very small. It's under 50% typically even for games that don't have any sort of difficulty/length barrier. Forget actual completionist numbers. Nintendo doesn't do achievements (which is too bad imo) but I'd imagine the number of people who found every korok is extremely small. As someone already mentioned, the huge amount of koroks is to ensure everyone has that 'a-ha! I found something' moment occurring somewhat frequently across 'regular' play. Mario is probably the same.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

ultrachrist posted:

If you look at xbox/steam/ps4 achievements, the number of people who even finish a game is very small. It's under 50% typically even for games that don't have any sort of difficulty/length barrier. Forget actual completionist numbers. Nintendo doesn't do achievements (which is too bad imo) but I'd imagine the number of people who found every korok is extremely small. As someone already mentioned, the huge amount of koroks is to ensure everyone has that 'a-ha! I found something' moment occurring somewhat frequently across 'regular' play. Mario is probably the same.

Yeah I don't doubt that a lot of people use guides but the idea that "most gamers use guides nowadays" seems flimsy given that kind of data, which is as close to actually relevant data that we might get with this type of discussion

also WHY THE gently caress IS THERE NO PLAY LOG ON SWITCH???? This vague "played for about x hours in increments of 5" is driving me nuts. It gives me conniptions

the log was one my favorite 3DS features :cry:

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

KingSlime posted:

Yeah I don't doubt that a lot of people use guides but the idea that "most gamers use guides nowadays" seems flimsy given that kind of data, which is as close to actually relevant data that we might get with this type of discussion

By gamers I mean guys that actually play semi-invested and want a challenge out of their hobby. They have more free time than most people, will play all the Souls that come out and will usually try to 100% stuff if it's hard enough. No one gives a gently caress about 100%ing games like Uncharted 4 though so obviously there are a lot of exceptions, even for them.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Sometimes when I'm playing Breath of the Wild I'll just walk along paths instead of trying to clamber all over the place. It's really cool how they visually distinguish paths that get used a lot versus paths that have fallen out of use versus the grander walkways of pre-calamity hyrule.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Sometimes when I'm playing Breath of the Wild I'll just walk along paths instead of trying to clamber all over the place. It's really cool how they visually distinguish paths that get used a lot versus paths that have fallen out of use versus the grander walkways of pre-calamity hyrule.

I have played BOTW almost twice (beat it on WiiU, got it again on Switch and explored the map but didn’t do any dungeons because I didn’t want the lasers) and have almost never used the paths.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

the truth posted:

I have played BOTW almost twice (beat it on WiiU, got it again on Switch and explored the map but didn’t do any dungeons because I didn’t want the lasers) and have almost never used the paths.

I'd recommend it. Try just walking from Hateno to Kakariko, it's really a different perspective on the world.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the paths are so full of life! I love getting the impression of a living world. And your horse will travel down them automatically! (even though the game still subscribes to Zelda Scale, so each town is the size of one large family, which feels small even for a post apocalyptic setting.)

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Regardless of your approach to travel, pro mode HUD is the way to go

also my first two divine beast powers kinda broke the difficulty curve a little revali's gale and water princess healing

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Impermanent posted:

it's genuinely very weird to ruin a game for yourself by playing it too much.

signed, someone who called in sick for zelda yesterday.

I binged heavily on the first Xenoblade game and once I was about 60-65 hours in I was getting so burnt out I just started rushing for the end. Still had over 70 hours of game time when I finally beat it.

the truth posted:

I didn't find the Korok seed turn-in NPC until after I beat BOTW. I forget what route I took to reach the village but I know it didn't involve very many roads.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Impermanent posted:

the paths are so full of life! I love getting the impression of a living world. And your horse will travel down them automatically! (even though the game still subscribes to Zelda Scale, so each town is the size of one large family, which feels small even for a post apocalyptic setting.)

Ya, slowly riding your horse between towns while you look around, preferably with the HUD off, is a phenomenal experience. The landscape in botw has a very visceral impact, and auto riding on paths is perhaps the best way to experience it.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
putting the focus squarely on traversing an interesting landscape with hidden goodies was such a smart move

hilarious to think about because that statement makes me think of dull, machine-generated open world games that I haven't touched in a long time because barf

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Path of the Hero is a dope thing and I wish every open world game had something similar. So many little areas I haven't visited even with like 150 hours logged on my save.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
drat it now i have to get the DLC, I want that feature

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Moving to a new place that doesn't have a tv. Bought one of these. Pretty sure it's the same thing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Since when do you move into a new place that DOES have a tv? That's kind of something a tenant has to supply.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Path of the Hero is a dope thing and I wish every open world game had something similar. So many little areas I haven't visited even with like 150 hours logged on my save.

Path of the Hero is interesting because I can see how I loving combed over the landscape for the first 75% of the game, and then clearly went "gently caress it" and my paths go straight to items.

Like... it's a great game and all, and I put 110 hours into it. I just don't have the patients to put 200 hours into it to find those final shrines. None of them were necessary to beat the game, but I liked the puzzles enough that I just wanted to see them all.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Since when do you move into a new place that DOES have a tv? That's kind of something a tenant has to supply.

I rent furnished because I travel a lot.

If I moved in somewhere and there was a Switch I'd be surprised.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

KingSlime posted:

oh yeah my response isn't touching upon even slightly mediocre games (life's too short for that), even between really amazing games worth your money there is a lot of content out there and I find myself having to prioritize something fierce

I didn't entirely mean actual poo poo games, though I can see where you read that. I just meant worse games in general. For example, there's not much gained in playing Paper Mario: Sticker Star at all so I'd rather 100% TTYD. And despite what you keep trying to insinuate, getting 100% in a lot of games often isn't that much more time consuming and a lot of times is more fun than you'd think.

The exceptions are usually RPGs and sandbox games which try to pack in so much dumb content over a huge space that you start to get games over 100 hours for trying to 100%. Botw is definitely like this and for those, yeah I'd say that's usually not worth it.

A lot of games hide really good content within their extra poo poo that totally makes going for 100% a fun ride, sometimes almost definitely so over the main game itself.

You're also not accounting for differing tastes. There are people out there who don't care about JRPGs, despite this year having several good options for those. Some people can't stand action games and wouldn't get into Bloodborne or Dark Souls or Nioh or whatever. Everyone can whittle down their list of games like this, sometimes to very large degrees. This is where you'll see people who'll be okay with a smaller amount of games but get very invested in the ones they choose.

Kawabata posted:

By gamers I mean guys that actually play semi-invested and want a challenge out of their hobby. They have more free time than most people, will play all the Souls that come out and will usually try to 100% stuff if it's hard enough. No one gives a gently caress about 100%ing games like Uncharted 4 though so obviously there are a lot of exceptions, even for them.

Eh, I don't agree. I read a lot of posters here who talk about many games within this year, and I only have time for a couple games in a year these days. I'm much more comfortable just playing a few games repeatedly through the year in my limited time, but yet there's a lot more casual players who'll talk about needing to buy a game each month or something.

I do think you're right in that most of the invested gamers will use a guide, but I don't really get how that's an important discussion in the first place. We've known for a long time that devs will put in dumb poo poo in games that need a guide to help sell guides/info for years.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Stardew Question: Does produce you've harvested rot? I know crops will die in the ground when the season changes but I wanna know if stored produce magically stays fresh forever.

Also how late can you stay up before the game forces you to go to sleep?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Stardew Question: Does produce you've harvested rot? I know crops will die in the ground when the season changes but I wanna know if stored produce magically stays fresh forever.

No it doesn't rot.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Internet Kraken posted:

Also how late can you stay up before the game forces you to go to sleep?

I'm pretty sure 2 a.m. is the latest you can stay up.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

This week's drop

Switch
    88 Heroes: 98 Heroes Edition ($29.95 / £29.99 / €29.99) [NA eShop] [PAL eShop]
    It's 8:08am on 8th August 1988, and the evil Dr. H8 has brought the world to the brink of total annihilation! His demands are simple: pay $88 octillion within 88 minutes, or Dr. H8's 88 thermo-nuclear warheads will wipe out the Earth! But who will save us in our time of need? The bravest? The boldest? No... The 88 Heroes (plus 10 of their friends)!

Prepare to infiltrate Dr. H8’s lair with the help of the strangest, dumbest and most pointless superheroes ever! With 88 levels between you and Dr. H8, only 88 seconds to complete each level and the 88-minute Doomsday clock already ticking, lead 98 unique characters – each with their own special abilities – on a platform-hopping, enemy-smashing, danger-dodging mission to save Earth from complete destruction!

ACA NeoGeo The King of Fighters '95 ($7.99 / £6.29 / €6.99) [NA eShop] [PAL eShop]
    THE KING OF FIGHTERS '95 is a fighting game released by SNK in 1995.

In addition to the characters of popular games such as FATAL FURY and ART OF FIGHTING, the sequel to THE KING OF FIGHTERS '94 sees Yagami participate as the rival of the main character Kyo Kusanagi.

With the team edit function, it became possible to form a team with the player's favourite characters.

Neon Chrome ($14.99 / £12.99 / €14.99) [NA eShop] [PAL eShop]
    Experience a ruthless top-down cyberpunk shooter and blast your way through enemies and walls. Upgrade, enhance and build up your strength. The path to stopping the Overseer is ever changing.

Neon Chrome is a ruthless top-down cyberpunk shooter with roguelike elements. Blast your way through enemies and walls with guns and cybernetic abilities. Experiment with different roles like the Hacker or the Cyber Psycho. Upgrade your character stats, discover new cybernetic enhancements and build up strength. Every death is a new beginning – the path to stopping the Overseer is never the same.

Sine Mora EX (£24.99 / €29.99) [PAL eShop]
    Sine Mora EX is a side-scrolling shoot-'em-up that provides a unique challenge, where time is the ultimate factor.

Mixing classic shooter sensibilities with contemporary presentation, Sine Mora EX is a gorgeous shoot-'em-up offering both a Story Mode that weaves an over-the-top tale and an Arcade Mode that provides deep, satisfying gameplay to challenge fans of the genre.

With many ways to manipulate time, Sine Mora EX features over 50 weapon combinations to complete each beautiful stage that fits to the player's skills with scaling difficulty.

Soundtrack composed by Akira Yamaoka and featuring boss designs by Mahiro Maeda.

Squareboy vs Bullies: Arena Edition ($4.99 / £4.49 / €4.99) [NA eShop] [PAL eShop]
    Squareboy vs Bullies is an old school beat-'em-up by Rohan Narang that follows the titular Squareboy and his quest for justice!

For far too long the Bullies have gone unpunished and with no one else to put them in their place, Squareboy finds himself standing up against them to do what is right, not just for himself, but for everyone the Bullies victimised. Will you help Squareboy fight off the Bullies?

The Flame in the Flood: Complete Edition ($14.99 / £14.99 / €14.99) [NA eShop] [PAL eShop]
    The Flame in the Flood: Complete Edition is a wilderness survival game in which a girl and her dog travel on foot and by raft down a procedurally-generated river.

Scrounge for resources, craft tools, remedy afflictions, evade the vicious wildlife and, most importantly, stay healthy in a dangerous wilderness. This Complete Edition includes various gameplay enhancements and a Director’s Commentary mode.

The Flame in the Flood also features an original soundtrack by acclaimed alt-country rocker Chuck Ragan featuring The Camaraderie, The Fearless Kin and other special guests.

Tiny Barbarian DX (£26.99 / €29.99) [PAL eShop]
    Steel yourself for a relentless display of might and muscle...of brawn and bravery...of magic and mayhem! Can you defeat your enemies, plunder all the booty and flex to impress the barbarienne of your dreams?

Inspired by heroic fantasy fiction, Tiny Barbarian DX combines engaging 2D platform action and combo-based hack and slash combat with retro-style pixel art, and a loincloth-stirring chiptune soundtrack.

Touhou Kobuto V: Burst Battle (£29.99 / €29.99) [PAL eShop]
    Jump into the world of Touhou and unleash bullet-hell upon your enemies in the 1v1 shoot-'em-up Touhou Kobuto V: Burst Battle!

Touhou Kobuto V: Burst Battle is a bullet-hell battle game that takes place in the Touhou universe. Take control of one of nine Touhou characters and eliminate your opponent using bullet-hell patterns, melee attacks, or spell cards!

Unbox: Newbie's Adventure (£24.99 / €29.99) [PAL eShop]
    Unbox: Newbie's Adventure is a unique 3D platformer for Nintendo Switch!

Assuming the guise of Newbie, a cardboard box, players must bounce and roll their way through glorious 3D worlds filled with scenic vistas, mountains, islands and the like. Newbie’s lot in life is to prove his worth as a sentient, self-delivering package and in doing so save the Global Postal Service from bankruptcy.

As a living cardboard box, Newbie can explore epic worlds accepting missions and challenges as he goes. Along the way he’ll meet new friends, discover a plethora of collectables and uncover oodles of super-secrets. Of course, there are unfriendly inhabitants out there too, the Wild Cards and their boss are out to ruin the GPS. Only by completing challenges and collecting reward stamps will Newbie be able to square up to menacing world Bosses!

In addition to a single-player adventure mode, Unbox: Newbie’s Adventure also offers classic split-screen action. Up to four friends can gather together and challenge each other in madcap speed races and last-man-standing battles. Endless cardboard carnage awaits as players create their own customisable Tournaments, playing on dedicated multiplayer maps.

Wulverblade ($19.99 / £14.99 / €16.99) [NA eShop] [PAL eShop]
    Help Britannia defeat the Romans in Wulverblade – a hardcore side-scrolling beat-'em-up inspired by classics such as Golden Axe, Sengoku, and Knights of the Round!

Experience a historically accurate storyline across eight campaign levels – or test your skills in the game’s deadly arenas.

Go it alone or team up with a friend in local two-player co-op. It’s time to show the Ninth Legion what you’re made of!

Yono and the Celestial Elephants ($14.99 / £12.99 / €14.99) [NA eShop] [PAL eShop]
    Elephants are a mighty protectors of the world, born from the stars once per millennium. This is the age of Elephant Yono. But Yono is still so very young and in a kingdom inhabited by feudal Humans, undead Bonewights and robotic Mekani, it's not easy to keep one's trunk out of trouble.

Yono and the Celestial Elephants is a grand adventure, featuring carefully designed puzzles, treasure hunts, a sprinkling of combat and a world full of people. Play as a young elephant tasked to save a world he’s never seen before, and explore the rich history of a kingdom where humans, zombies and robots live side by side.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

irlZaphod posted:

Yono and the Celestial Elephants ($14.99 / £12.99 / €14.99) [NA eShop] [PAL eShop]
Elephants are a mighty protectors of the world, born from the stars once per millennium. This is the age of Elephant Yono. But Yono is still so very young and in a kingdom inhabited by feudal Humans, undead Bonewights and robotic Mekani, it's not easy to keep one's trunk out of trouble.

Yono and the Celestial Elephants is a grand adventure, featuring carefully designed puzzles, treasure hunts, a sprinkling of combat and a world full of people. Play as a young elephant tasked to save a world he’s never seen before, and explore the rich history of a kingdom where humans, zombies and robots live side by side.

[/list]

Jesus, this is like the cutest game ever made :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7n3dkF5JLA

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/918643391709061120

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/918644279458676736

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Man I am here to tell you gently caress level 3-4 on Puyo Puyo Tetris, it is no fun just getting steamrolled by the computer with a difficulty spike out of nowhere. Like enough that I think I'm done with this game.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
thank god someone licked all those games for me

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

mandatory lesbian posted:

thank god someone licked all those games for me

Pre-licked so you don't have to.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Midjack posted:

Man I am here to tell you gently caress level 3-4 on Puyo Puyo Tetris, it is no fun just getting steamrolled by the computer with a difficulty spike out of nowhere. Like enough that I think I'm done with this game.

If you fail something like 3 times in a row the game will just let you skip the stage, you can always come back whenever you want to.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Started Zelda for the first time tonight.

Jumped off a cliff and died, fell out of a tree and died and then I was on fire.

Solid camping sim.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
Trying to complete Greedier with The Lost -170 something streak.

It's time to go unlock insta kill cards

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Does the eshop announce sales anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
I have never played picross. I just played picross. I love picross.

• Locked thread