Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
its not even like a "she incorporates x and y elements of this particular deity's cult" kind of thing, she's straight up an irish fire goddess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
the vatican won't let us venerate st. guinefort (aka st. good puppers) and that's the most wrong they've been since vatican II

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

The Phlegmatist posted:

the vatican won't let us venerate st. guinefort (aka st. good puppers) and that's the most wrong they've been since vatican II

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Christianity Thread II: Y'all need St. Good Puppers

genola
Apr 7, 2011
Looks like we lost another one to the dog temple saint.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://twitter.com/TheDweck/status/917632509906534400/photo/1

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I stand before the flag
I kneel before the cross

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Lots of stress fractures appearing in the American Civic Religion lately...

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
So how is the fetishistic veneration of the flag not just idolatry?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

It is

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

Since American popular Christianity became an imperial cult dedicated to the American Soldier.

The deaths of soldiers creates FREEDOM which isn't freedom to do anything in particular like protest but rather a pure essence that shines into our heart via the radiant icon of the flag.

The only tweak I can suggest is it would be more effective to sacrifice the soldiers atop a ziggurat wheeled out to the fifty yard line during the anthem rather than waste billions shipping them to die in far off deserts.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Well, the persecution and killing of perfidious heathen Others is a core part of the rites, you can't just leave that out.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

As an American I don't see what's inherently wrong with standing for the anthem, but I'm also 100% for not doing it as a protest for the people America left behind

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

I think to compare the current American Imperial Cult with the Roman one is a vile calumny. The roman imperial cult didn't actually require human sacrifice on an unending scale to justify it's horrendous treatment of people, it just did it.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 11, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Josef bugman posted:

I think to compare the current American Imperial Cult with the Roman one is a vile calumny. The roman imperial cult did actually require human sacrifice on an unending scale to justify it's horrendous treatment of people, it just did it.
actually the romans found human sacrifice morally abhorrent and furthermore :o:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

HEY GAIL posted:

actually the romans found human sacrifice morally abhorrent and furthermore :o:

Meant to say didn't there, whoops!

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
Which is more cruel though - Feeding people to animals for your Sunday afternoon entertainment, or a game that causes slow and insidious brain injuries that will haunt its players for years to come and offering them no aid?

That's actually not a rhetorical question.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Numerical Anxiety posted:

Which is more cruel though - Feeding people to animals for your Sunday afternoon entertainment, or a game that causes slow and insidious brain injuries that will haunt its players for years to come and offering them no aid?

The latter is worse, because it's not as entertaining to watch. Also feeding animals is arguably good.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

tbh the glory days of heavyweight boxing were like both at once

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

The Roman Games were more hosed up than you probably know. A lion trainer was ordered to feed a bunch of jews to the lions, but if he fed his man-eating lions jews on day 1 of the games, they wouldn't be up to eating some other slaves on the day 3 finale. So he went to them, and struck a deal--he'd buy and free their relatives from slavery if they acted a specific way that would encourage the non man-eating lions to eat them.

Also sometimes female criminals would be sentenced to be (spoiler for awfulness) raped by donkeys. Not ACTUALLY, they would just train a donkey to sit on a bed a certain way, and then one day there'd be this woman tied there, donkey doesn't care and no one in the audience is close enough to see the difference.

ALSO they threw pots of scorpions into the crowd, but that seems pretty funny to me.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Also sometimes female criminals would be sentenced to be (spoiler for awfulness) raped by donkeys. Not ACTUALLY, they would just train a donkey to sit on a bed a certain way, and then one day there'd be this woman tied there, donkey doesn't care and no one in the audience is close enough to see the difference.

If you've never read the donkey show bit from Apuleius' Metamorphoses, it's a rather notable bit of awkward and grotesque comedy. And yeah, the games were awful, but - call it my cynicism - I find some relief in the fact that they were completely honest about what they were.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

Me, I think the mortal threat of idolatry goes beyond an individual's unseemly relationship with a symbol. The severity of the problem is measured by how far an individual has gone acting and believing in the state as the ultimate good, especially when the state is in conflict with higher order virtues like justice.

If you've never read the donkey show bit from Apuleius' Metamorphoses, it's a rather notable bit of awkward and grotesque comedy. And yeah, the games were awful, but - call it my cynicism - I find some relief in the fact that they were completely honest about what they were.

All else being equal, a lot of folks prefer honesty to hypocrisy.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Standard Def is the worst.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

"Is that donkey loving her?"
"I dunno, I can't see. But what else would it be doing there?"
"Maybe it's just standing there?"
"What, donkey, just standing there, over a common criminal harlot?"
"Yeah, I supposed you're right... take that donkey dick, you bread stealing slut!"

Caufman
May 7, 2007
The veteran show-goer sighs and proceeds.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i can't believe the romans had kayfabe donkey shows

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Senju Kannon posted:

i can't believe the romans had kayfabe donkey shows

Well, the donkey is getting a pretty sweet deal out of this, and who is going to believe a criminal who claims that she didn't gently caress a donkey for all of Rome to see?

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Hey thread, I'm about to start confirmation classes, to be received into the Anglican church. As I've been confirmed Presbyterian, it's actually a bit of moot point as to whether I need to take this step, but given one reason I'm an Anglican is that I believe in the historic episcopacy, it made sense to me.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

The first episode in our religion podcast "Smells and Bells" including questions from Tias![/url]

Good work you two.

Caufman posted:

All else being equal, a lot of folks prefer honesty to hypocrisy.

But so-called "honesty" is normally just another type of hypocrisy. Like the man who tries to say he's "got a weakness for beautiful women," which translates as serially unfaithful and probably a rapist. Or person who will own up to loving money, when really they just hate other humans. Or when someone freely admits to having a temper, when in reality they enjoy the ability to hurt those around them and cause destruction, then write it off as a temporary loss of control. The only way to honestly admit sins is by being truly repentant. If you are proud of your actions, then by definition you don't believe they are sinful.

Also, and I don't want to start an internet fight, but I think gladiatorial games were a bad thing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mr Enderby posted:

But so-called "honesty" is normally just another type of hypocrisy. Like the man who tries to say he's "got a weakness for beautiful women," which translates as serially unfaithful and probably a rapist. Or person who will own up to loving money, when really they just hate other humans. Or when someone freely admits to having a temper, when in reality they enjoy the ability to hurt those around them and cause destruction, then write it off as a temporary loss of control. The only way to honestly admit sins is by being truly repentant. If you are proud of your actions, then by definition you don't believe they are sinful.

This doesn't really check out. Honesty and having an admirable (or just compatible) moral stance with someone else aren't the same thing. If I say "I am a murderer" but I care nothing for the value of human life and am simply stating a legal or practical fact, I'm being honest, and my lack of concern is a moral failing but that moral failing isn't dishonesty, specifically.

Equivocation like "having a weakness for beautful women" is hypocritical but it's also just not honest -- because it indicates a double consciousness, a need to hide something out of guilt or shame, to ameliorate what you're saying by using words that lessen the impact or personal responsibility in what you're saying.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Or put another way, the real heart of the question is whether you find something admirable about the character and conduct of a completely unrepentant, honest, and unencumbered monster. And, weirdly enough, I think I do -- but for utilitarian reasons. A truly unrepentant monster is easy to spot and easy to prosecute, so their honesty is a social good.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Mr Enderby posted:

Also, and I don't want to start an internet fight, but I think gladiatorial games were a bad thing.

Asking forgiveness in order to get something better later on/ to appease God is not hypocritical? You don't get to judge if people are truly repentant, heck even those people don't get to do that.

People will prefer being told "I am a bastard and trying to hurt you" as opposed to being told "You are suffering to make your life better". I mean it still hurts but the latter is, I would argue, worse.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Or put another way, the real heart of the question is whether you find something admirable about the character and conduct of a completely unrepentant, honest, and unencumbered monster. And, weirdly enough, I think I do -- but for utilitarian reasons. A truly unrepentant monster is easy to spot and easy to prosecute, so their honesty is a social good.

The point is that the unrepentant, honest, and unencumbered monster basically doesn't exist, or at least is vanishingly rare compared to the person who hides their greater sins by boasting of their smaller ones. Romans who went to gladiatorial games weren't self-confessed monsters, they had a whole bunch of lovely little excuses and justifications for what they were doing, just like I do when I watch boxing.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mr Enderby posted:

The point is that the unrepentant, honest, and unencumbered monster basically doesn't exist, or at least is vanishingly rare compared to the person who hides their greater sins by boasting of their smaller ones.
you've studied the 17th century but you are obviously unfamiliar with the 17th century military

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Mr Enderby posted:

The point is that the unrepentant, honest, and unencumbered monster basically doesn't exist, or at least is vanishingly rare compared to the person who hides their greater sins by boasting of their smaller ones. Romans who went to gladiatorial games weren't self-confessed monsters, they had a whole bunch of lovely little excuses and justifications for what they were doing, just like I do when I watch boxing.

Is that the case? My sense was always that, philosophical critics aside, a decent segment of the Roman population would have seen nothing wrong with the games. If you don't think that "I like watching things die" is a reprehensible sentiment, then there's no need to disguise it. Same with the crowds who gathered to watch executions up until the last century.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

HEY GAIL posted:

you've studied the 17th century but you are obviously unfamiliar with the 17th century military

Ehh, I don't know what the gently caress was happening on the continent, but the problem with ECW was emphatically not a shortage of principles. You've read the Putney Debates. Does anyone there sound like they've ever admitted about being in the wrong about anything?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr Enderby posted:

Ehh, I don't know what the gently caress was happening on the continent, but the problem with ECW was emphatically not a shortage of principles. You've read the Putney Debates. Does anyone there sound like they've ever admitted about being in the wrong about anything?

i choose to interpret ecw in this post as extreme championship wrestling, because it could also apply there. just look up the mass transit incident. also thumbtack matches are really hosed up

has nothing on japanese matches, tho. there was one extreme rules match that was all flourescent bulbs. over a hundred were broken during the match with all sorts of glass dust everywhere, the wrestlers bleeding all over the place. horrifying.

anyway extreme rules wrestling is basically the gladiators of our time. heck people die in the ring sometimes too

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Is that the case? My sense was always that, philosophical critics aside, a decent segment of the Roman population would have seen nothing wrong with the games. If you don't think that "I like watching things die" is a reprehensible sentiment, then there's no need to disguise it. Same with the crowds who gathered to watch executions up until the last century.

Sorry, that wasn't clear. What I meant was that people didn't think the games were wrong, because of lovely reasoning (slaves don't deserve mercy etc). I don't mean they were uneasily justifying it to themselves, I just mean they weren't thinking "I'm a bad person so I'm off to watch a lion tear apart a human".

Edit: I don't know much about classical history, so I may be talking out my hole.

I think as a rule people tend to admit to immorality as a sophistic device, to try and minimise it. Like when someone says something racist and then says "I suppose I shouldn't say that, lol" they're trying to give themselves a pass for saying it, not to actually admit to any wrongdoing.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
no there was definitely a strong element of Romans going to the Coliseum so they could watch lessers (slaves, Jews, Christians) get fed to animals. that was basically halftime entertainment though but I don't know if that makes it better or worse.

Senju Kannon posted:

i choose to interpret ecw in this post as extreme championship wrestling, because it could also apply there. just look up the mass transit incident. also thumbtack matches are really hosed up

an ECW character who has strong opinions about the Putney Debates is a weird angle to take but I like it

there's this weird poo poo with the juggalo championship wrestling league where yeah it's brutal but they are incredibly well-respected because they actually pay their talent and make sure everyone is safe and having a good time.

compare this to something like state-level MMA league undercard matches where it's just two dudes beating the poo poo out of each other for real for almost no money

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Mr Enderby posted:

quote:

Just Heaven! with what inconceivable rapidity I learnt to adore that woman. At sixty, I worshipped her with the volcanic ardour of eighteen. All the gold of my rich nature was poured hopelessly at her feet. My wife—poor angel!—my wife, who adores me, got nothing but the shillings and the pennies. Such is the World, such Man, such Love. What are we (I ask) but puppets in a show- box? Oh, omnipotent Destiny, pull our strings gently! Dance us mercifully off our miserable little stage!

quote:

On a calm revision of all the circumstances—Is my conduct worthy of any serious blame? Most emphatically, No! Have I not carefully avoided exposing myself to the odium of committing unnecessary crime? With my vast resources in chemistry, I might have taken Lady Glyde’s life. At immense personal sacrifice I followed the dictates of my own ingenuity, my own humanity, my own caution, and took her identity instead. Judge me by what I might have done. How comparatively innocent! how indirectly virtuous I appear in what I really did!

http://etc.usf.edu/lit2go/118/the-w...unts-narrative/

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Mr Enderby posted:

Sorry, that wasn't clear. What I meant was that people didn't think the games were wrong, because of lovely reasoning (slaves don't deserve mercy etc). I don't mean they were uneasily justifying it to themselves, I just mean they weren't thinking "I'm a bad person so I'm off to watch a lion tear apart a human".

Edit: I don't know much about classical history, so I may be talking out my hole.

I think as a rule people tend to admit to immorality as a sophistic device, to try and minimise it. Like when someone says something racist and then says "I suppose I shouldn't say that, lol" they're trying to give themselves a pass for saying it, not to actually admit to any wrongdoing.

We might be talking past one another - I think it's less that the Romans used lousy reasoning as pertains to a shared premise, namely that killing is wrong. The ancients in general, but then particularly the Romans didn't intrinsically value human life the way that we do. We're talking about a culture where the pater familias could kill his children - even grown children - or slaves without the laws being applicable. The games were another area where this could play out - people without the protection of rank or dignity could be killed for entertainment, because their lives didn't matter. One didn't have to explain away why killing was wrong, because - aside from a few philosophers - the thought didn't really come up absent other considerations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mr Enderby posted:

There are plenty of bold and unrepentant douchebags on the other side of the channel.

Except my friend and yours, the army's dad: Tilly.

• Locked thread