Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

air- posted:

Yep, down the block from Theo Chocolate. And Brouwers is old school for the US, haven't been around as long as like Toronado or Churchill's, but they're a decade+ old I think.

Ah, different timescale over there. I was in San Francisco as a kid in the early nineties and remember seeing brewpubs then, no idea if they survived/were any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
I guess I should have specified "craft beer bars" in the modern mould. It's owned by the people that own the Bottleworks bottle shop and has been host to many a great beer event over the years.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Okay, so this might be a long shot - I'm gonna be in Japan next month, roughly under a week in both the Tokyo and Osaka/Kyoto areas each; would anybody happen to be able to give recommendations for good beer bars to drink at in those areas?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Brouwer's, Fremont, and Schilling Cider House are all within a few blocks of each other so definitely go to all of them. I wanted to focus on ciders while I was there since Colorado already has infinite breweries, so if you have the same mentality, you should also check out Seattle Cider/Two Beers and Number 6 (which is close to Holy Mountain)

e: There was also a place called Georgetown Brewing that looked interesting but they close on 4PM on saturday and all day sunday so I was never able to make it. Someone who lives in seattle tell me what I missed! I want to know!!

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 9, 2017

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

graybook posted:

Okay, so this might be a long shot - I'm gonna be in Japan next month, roughly under a week in both the Tokyo and Osaka/Kyoto areas each; would anybody happen to be able to give recommendations for good beer bars to drink at in those areas?

I can give you a starting point!

Baird Beer has several taprooms in Tokyo and the greater Tokyo area. My personal favorite is the Harajuku one (very close to the station, DELICIOUS izakaya-style food)

Hitachino Brewing Lab is over near Akihabara - very small place but fun to try their stuff.

Popeye is one of the more well-known craft beer bars in Tokyo, but I haven't been back in awhile.

DevilCraft was on my list to go last time, but I never made it there.

Craftheads was a nice little secluded place a short walk from Hachiko Gate at Shibuya station.

In general Japan has seen a real big craft beer boom, it feels like. You'll be able to find good beer wherever you go, and honestly even just drinking Suntory the whole time you can't go that far wrong.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I end up at the Baird taproom in Harajuku like every time I'm in Tokyo, so that's a pretty safe pick.

Osaka: Beer Belly, especially if you can find the Tenma location.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/2017/09/23/food/beer-belly-minohs-tenma-branch-solid-suds-tapas/
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/04/27/travel/a-craft-beer-pub-crawl-in-the-kitchen-of-japan.html

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

graybook posted:

now Daunte Vicknabb and SUPER HASSLER need to chime in!

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

graybook posted:

Tokyo: Best beer bar, hands down, is Watering Hole. Extremely friendly staff with almost across-the-board high levels of English ability. A good number of taps, a good mix of cool imports and Japanese crafts, sometimes cool tap takeovers. The owners in particular are extremely friendly, they've brought their entire staff to America to go to places like Tired Hands in the past and they let us do a bottle share next door. Craftheads in Shibuya is very expensive for beer but worth visiting because their bourbon selection is the best price/rarity combo you'll probably ever experience in your life and they have some crazy beers on tap from time to time. If you see Fujizakura Rauch anything there it's definitely worth drinking if you like Rauchbiers. Hitachino is worth stopping by, if you're a big fan of theirs. If you want to drink a wide variety of Japanese craft for a relatively low price, hit up the various Craft Beer Markets. They're all over the place now, often quite close to train stations, and have good variety and good prices. The Brewdog location in Roppongi is good if you like their beer, though you'll not get much Japanese stuff there.

Osaka: Osaka is considerably less exciting beer wise, but I'd give Kamikaze a strong recommendation. It's pretty close to a lot of places you'll probably be visiting anyways and has almost exclusively Japanese beers, some of which are quite exciting (Y Market stuff is almost always worth trying) and pretty good food the one time I ate there. Completely unrelated to drinking, if you're interested in seeing some of the more culturally fascinating parts of Japan, Osaka is great. Shin-sekai (New World) is an area that was a huge destination in the earlier parts of the 20th century that got left behind after the war, but walking around it today is really cool and you'll see all kinds of interesting people in the narrow alleys (and random carnival popgun type games and tiny arcades) and it puts you near Tobita Shinichi, which is the Japanese red light district. Don't pull out anything that could be a camera, but read about the history of the place in advance and just walk around and you'll be fascinated by the people you see walking the streets around you.

Also, when you're in Osaka you owe it to yourself to eat Okonomiyaki at least three or four times. Oh and visit the really cool knife shop in Shin-sekai, you can watch these master Japanese blacksmiths as they make knives if you're there at the right time and they have at least one main employee who is American.

Daunte Vicknabb fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 10, 2017

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Trust me, I'm making plans on how I'm gonna eat my fill. Actually, here in Charleston, there's one place - Xiao Bao Biscuit - that does okonomiyaki, so I've had a version of it before; will be nice to get it in Japan though. I'm also gonna get at one of those sake tasting tours in Kyoto which sounds pretty rad.

I'm adding all these to my saved locations in maps - thanks, all!

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Control Volume posted:

Brouwer's, Fremont, and Schilling Cider House are all within a few blocks of each other so definitely go to all of them. I wanted to focus on ciders while I was there since Colorado already has infinite breweries, so if you have the same mentality, you should also check out Seattle Cider/Two Beers and Number 6 (which is close to Holy Mountain)

e: There was also a place called Georgetown Brewing that looked interesting but they close on 4PM on saturday and all day sunday so I was never able to make it. Someone who lives in seattle tell me what I missed! I want to know!!

Georgetown makes some very solid IPAs - their line of Point Break-themed IPAs is worth trying.

I've heard good things about Stoup Brewing as well, but haven't tried anything from them.

This is also fresh hop season so try as many fresh hop beers as you can. Fremont KDS is also out now so try to track down a bottle or five.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Holy Balls. The Veil's IReallyDontWantToBU was incredible. I want more.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

graybook posted:

I remember posting about beer in Osaka a while ago, lemme dig it up:

Entropist posted:

I was in Osaka in December and quite liked these places:

Craft Beer Works KAMIKAZE (many imported beers)
Beer Belly (there is a brewery there, they do a bunch of styles)
Craft beer base Bud (it's on the 2nd basement floor of a mall near the station, hard to find, but a cozy place with good local/Japanese craft beers and nice bartenders)

I didn't crawl the whole city for craft beer though, I just went to places with convenient locations.

I wasn't in Tokyo for as long but there I liked the Baird taproom there, they had good examples of many styles and the interior was lovely. It's near Shinjuku and near a station. I don't think I made it to any other noteworthy craft beer places there, though I did see several fake ones by Asahi.
I guess others already said more.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Sirotan posted:

Heading to Seattle tomorrow and I'm staying at some mediocre hotel next to the Space Needle without a car. There seem to be a shitload of places to drink in Seattle, what are going to be my best options that won't require an expense taxi/Uber/Lyft ride? Holy Mountain is probably top of my list.

Food recs also appreciated since this is sort of a last minute spontaneous trip that I haven't planned for at all. Wavering on whether I want to stand in line for an hour and spend $100+ on sushi at Kashiba.

All of the above recommendations are great, but for someplace close to you, Stumbling Monk has a great selection of Belgian and Belgian-inspired beers and is a mile east of that block of hotels.

For food, head down to Pioneer Square in the morning and go to Salumi for lunch; they open at 11:00, and you better get in line around 10:30. Get your sandwich to go (there's basically no seating) and eat it at the UPS Waterfall Garden Park a couple blocks down Main St.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Not pictured: the 2 cases from HF and the 750mls on the door. I also didn't even come close to hitting the limits at the Alchemist :

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Anyone near side project? Don't really care about chasing all their beers but that fencerow looks ridiculous.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Shabadu posted:

Not pictured: the 2 cases from HF and the 750mls on the door. I also didn't even come close to hitting the limits at the Alchemist :

Are you sure you can't bring me some beer make it to Blizzcon this year?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Any recommendations for the Destin/Ft Walton Beach/Eglin AFB area?

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Phanatic posted:

Any recommendations for the Destin/Ft Walton Beach/Eglin AFB area?

Beach Liquors in FWB (Publix parking lot immediately before the Brooks bridge) has a real nice selection for purchase. When I left KC's Sand Bar had some pretty good selection and the Salty Duck was decent as well. If you can go further into Destin, Chan's Wine World was awesome with two real nice restaurants with incredible beer selections. One is also just a laid back gastropub with great beer.

Either way you can find a pretty good selection at real good prices, enjoy getting hammered in Eglin's fine accommodations.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
So happy to be back in California, Fieldwork Saint Thomas is hella good!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Last minute but any good breweries in Annapolis? Jumping between there and Baltimore this weekend but have more free time in Annapolis.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

very happy that FW Mocha Merlin showed up this year; it's basically FBS that i can drink even more a lot of

also very happy that we finally brewed a big, gently caress-off English barleywine- now to see if we can find some cool barrels to put it in!

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

Lt_Tofu posted:

So happy to be back in California, Fieldwork Saint Thomas is hella good!

yeah that beer fucks. poo poo, pretty much all of Fieldwork's hoppy beers are hella good! I'm hoping they open a satellite tap room a little closer to me eventually, driving to Berkeley pretty much always sucks.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Decided to give lagunitas a second chance by buying their imperial coffee stout and I didnt realize it was 12.4% alcohol until I looked at the bottle I just opened

This is an extremely dangerous sixpack

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Control Volume posted:

Decided to give lagunitas a second chance by buying their imperial coffee stout and I didnt realize it was 12.4% alcohol until I looked at the bottle I just opened

This is an extremely dangerous sixpack

High-Westified? yeah, that's a really good beer- maybe even the only beer of theirs i like

drinking a milk stout with 40+ year-old vanilla in it and it almost tastes like it was briefly barrel-aged. weird.

VVV that's the very first thing i look for every time we're in the market for barrels. from what's currently available, Woodford Reserve Double Oak is currently the leading candidate, but i've got feelers out in a few different places...

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 14, 2017

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

funkybottoms posted:

very happy that FW Mocha Merlin showed up this year; it's basically FBS that i can drink even more a lot of

also very happy that we finally brewed a big, gently caress-off English barleywine- now to see if we can find some cool barrels to put it in!

got any PX barrels?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I got some Utopias at GABF last weekend.

It was...okay I guess.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

yeah that beer fucks. poo poo, pretty much all of Fieldwork's hoppy beers are hella good! I'm hoping they open a satellite tap room a little closer to me eventually, driving to Berkeley pretty much always sucks.

Yeah, hoping I will see them more often I'm Sacramento vs when I was in San Diego a year ago. Trying some Eastside Hotel now, it's pretty good despite being a NE IPA.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Finally visiting Boston and Vermont the weekend of 10/27. I've wanted to try hops for a while now so I'm pretty excited. If anybody in the area wants to grab a beer while I'm around shoot me a PM!

Hitting Trillium, Treehouse, Hill Farmstead and The Alchemist for sure. Any tips on making the most of the trip are appreciated.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Possibly the dumbest thing I've read in a while: https://www.craftbeer.com/craft-beer-muses/take-craft-back-crowdfunding-buy-anheuser-busch

hey guys let's buy out AB InBev :downs:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sirotan posted:

Possibly the dumbest thing I've read in a while: https://www.craftbeer.com/craft-beer-muses/take-craft-back-crowdfunding-buy-anheuser-busch

hey guys let's buy out AB InBev :downs:

Is there anything stopping someone from pledging funny number amounts aside from the really "aw shucks" worded checkbox?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Is there anything stopping someone from pledging funny number amounts aside from the really "aw shucks" worded checkbox?

I can't imagine the people behind this actually think it will ever happen, so this is probably just a creative way to collect personal data on a bunch of people who are obviously willing to throw their money away on stupid beer-related poo poo. 6 months from now they will launch their new product/brewery/beer super PAC, and hit up all those 'donors' for real cash.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

LeafHouse posted:

Finally visiting Boston and Vermont the weekend of 10/27. I've wanted to try hops for a while now so I'm pretty excited. If anybody in the area wants to grab a beer while I'm around shoot me a PM!

Hitting Trillium, Treehouse, Hill Farmstead and The Alchemist for sure. Any tips on making the most of the trip are appreciated.

Get to Treehouse early on Friday, Saturday is usually pretty rough. There's lots of smaller breweries/distilleries and stuf like Ben n Jerry's to do in Stowe/Waterbury.

I might be down to meet up for a pint at Mystic, I dunno if I'll have a car and they're in walking distance and are the sleeper choice for most underrated in the Boston area.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Cicerone program, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on bottle shares, and I have over 300 confirmed check ins. I am trained in vanilla gorilla and I’m the top drinker in the entire US AA forces. You are nothing to me but just another takeover. I will sell pre-merger bottles with prices the likes of which has never been seen before on Beer Black Book, add it to your bookmarks. You think you can get away with posting Clydesdales to me over the Internet? Think again, InBev. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of beer snobs across the USA and your Clydesdales are being raced right now so you better prepare for the pumpkin beer season. The season that white girls go crazy for. You've been bought out, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can drink over seven hundred certified craft beers, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in detecting beechwood, but I have access to the entire arsenal of Untappd and I will use it to its full extent to wipe #fakebeer off the face of the continent, you little 🐎. If only you could have known what unholy dilution your little “clever” buyout was about to bring down upon craft beer, maybe you would have stayed independent. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re brewing with rice, you Clydesdale lovers. I will pour Bud Light all over you and you will drown in it. You’re dead to me, Wicked Weed.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Josh Wow posted:

I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Cicerone program, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on bottle shares, and I have over 300 confirmed check ins. I am trained in vanilla gorilla and I’m the top drinker in the entire US AA forces. You are nothing to me but just another takeover. I will sell pre-merger bottles with prices the likes of which has never been seen before on Beer Black Book, add it to your bookmarks. You think you can get away with posting Clydesdales to me over the Internet? Think again, InBev. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of beer snobs across the USA and your Clydesdales are being raced right now so you better prepare for the pumpkin beer season. The season that white girls go crazy for. You've been bought out, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can drink over seven hundred certified craft beers, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in detecting beechwood, but I have access to the entire arsenal of Untappd and I will use it to its full extent to wipe #fakebeer off the face of the continent, you little 🐎. If only you could have known what unholy dilution your little “clever” buyout was about to bring down upon craft beer, maybe you would have stayed independent. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re brewing with rice, you Clydesdale lovers. I will pour Bud Light all over you and you will drown in it. You’re dead to me, Wicked Weed.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Cite your sources

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Anyway, just got done drinking at Moody Tongue in Chicago. Cool venue (no signage outside tho which isn't really cool at all) and pretty good beers. Would recommend.

Also gently caress you Chicago for having almost every brewery closed today.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Sirotan posted:

Also gently caress you Chicago for having almost every brewery closed today.

Listen dude. We need a day of rest in Chicago after how much we drink on the weekend.

Also, Firestone Mocha Merlin is obnoxiously good. I normally don't really give a poo poo about adjunct stouts that much, but this is *fire emoji* as the kids say.

Fat Lou fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 17, 2017

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Shabadu posted:

I might be down to meet up for a pint at Mystic, I dunno if I'll have a car and they're in walking distance and are the sleeper choice for most underrated in the Boston area.

lots of good farmhouse stuff there, plus there's a good pizza joint a few blocks away. and i know i've said this a couple times, but my choice for most underrated in the area is Idle Hands.

Josh Wow posted:

I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Cicerone program

hmm....

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

funkybottoms posted:

lots of good farmhouse stuff there, plus there's a good pizza joint a few blocks away. and i know i've said this a couple times, but my choice for most underrated in the area is Idle Hands.

I have a buddy up in Malden and he has nothing but overwhelmingly positive stuff to say about both Idle Hands and Mystic. Gonna try to time a trip around next time Pils and Love happens to hopefully add in a stop to Portland in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I'm kinda eh on Idle Hand's mixed fermentation stuff, but they crush every german/belgian style beer they put out. Brocktoberfest is incredibly strong, better than Copper Legend (the baseline for local marzens).

And since every brewery is doing an IPA, their Four Seam is really solid. Mystic's been doing them too and I think they're scarily good for a farmhouse/saison focused brewery. Post Apocalyptic Xanadu reminded me of an amped up Sip of Sunshine, incredibly pungent but still juicy and frighteningly easy to drink for 10%.

Shabadu fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 17, 2017