Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

You know, I posted earlier about Avery Brooks not being able to act into s3 of DS9, and it's still true.

But by the end of series 3, he starts doing OK in some parts of some episodes, by the end of series 4 he's pulling off whole episodes of passable acting.

I also saw him in The Big Hit which is a late 90s film that doesn't take itself seriously, has pre-stupid-amounts-of-accent Mark Wahlberg when he was also very slim and didn't have a fat face. The whole thing is a farce that's very homoerotic and I think there are lots of Star Trek references. Like the guys called Smiley, one character drinks only prune juice, there were a couple more but it was a poo poo film so I don't remember. Anyway he has like 5 lines in that and they're not well delivered.

So my working theory is that he went full method actor and just became Capn Sisko rather than actually learning how to act different roles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I believe in Avery Brooks as captain Sisko, i've not seen him anywhere else. He is hammy as hell, but it's endearing in a good way start to finish imo

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Thanks thread for telling me about Orville. I’m really enjoying it and it’s clear that the people involved love and understand Star Trek.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

basic hitler posted:

I believe in Avery Brooks as captain Sisko, i've not seen him anywhere else. He is hammy as hell, but it's endearing in a good way start to finish imo

He gives a very credible, non-hammy performance as the principal in American History X

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I can't be the only person who watched a lot of Spenser: For Hire and A Man Called Hawk reruns on late night cable TV

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

drilldo squirt posted:

I don't know if the leg that fell through the ceiling having more leg than what the pilot guy lost was intentional or not but I hope it is.

I think it was intentional and it makes it that much better.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Avery Brooks is The Sisko. There's a reason why he's turned down most acting poo poo and holes up at Rutgers.

He's living the sweet life of a tenured professor AND gets to supplement income with cons.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd love to see a big budget 40k movie. Maybe just follow some imperial guard fighting orcs or chaos or something and some space marines show up at the end and save the day but then kill everyone just to be sure. Most I just want to actually see the 40k world on the big screen with all the effects a modern big budget movie can do. It would be one care where I didn't really care about plot or characters, just show me those hive city vistas and ridiculous carnage.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

basic hitler posted:

Is adapting a black tribal culture automatically racist? I wasn't aware anyone was mad about how marvel was doing it. Star trek has a bad track record but I never heard of any serious anger about black panther

Marvel is probably in the clear because they already have a white guy using a bow and arrow, a white guy using a shield, and a white guy using a hammer and viking armor. The asgardians use all kinds of high tech primitive weapons.

Zzulu posted:

Though it is retarded that they're usng spears and poo poo

that's like if we developed super high tech and still used maces and axes or whatever

:razz:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Im gonna smoke weed in the holodeck

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Oh no, I just realized Discovery could totally have the Sisko show up. He is chilling with time aliens. :ohdear:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Facebook Aunt posted:

Oh no, I just realized Discovery could totally have the Sisko show up. He is chilling with time aliens. :ohdear:

Neelix and Hoshi get time traveled to the Discovery and have to pretend they're crew, id watch that

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It could have Sisko, Guinan, or Q. Their spore drive could malfunction and have them encounter the Borg! They could encounter the ribbon and run into super old Kirk. Kurzon Dax could show up. They could run into the Husnock and need to talk about Kevin. All of this could happen!

naem
May 29, 2011

Zzulu posted:

that's like if we developed super high tech and still used maces and axes or whatever

That would be awesome and you know it

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

i was kind of interested to see where STD went after the pilot double bill but i just watched the third ep and i loving hated it. does it get any better?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Generic Monk posted:

i was kind of interested to see where STD went after the pilot double bill but i just watched the third ep and i loving hated it. does it get any better?

The Orville is really good, you should watch that instead

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

i'm sure it's better than whatever the gently caress it is i just watched but it still looks like poo poo

e: as in it looks like it is poo poo, not looks like poo poo. although it does look like poo poo as well

Secht
Oct 5, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

So true.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The Orville gets noticably better by like the third episode, STD hasn't demonstrated the same upswing so far

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Generic Monk posted:

There's only been 4 episodes and you've seen 3 of them. Still too early to say. I think 4 was a little better than 3. Having the first ship blow up and almost everyone dies kinda made 3 the first episode again where they have to introduce all the characters and their gimmicks, which is always a bit slow. Made worse by half the characters being unlikable assholes.

Nervous roommate and gay chief engineer are better in the 4th episode. Spoiler: rear end in a top hat chief of security dies like an idiot which is probably a good thing.

naem
May 29, 2011

I finished ep 5 and realized there aren't 7 more seasons of Orville to shotgun and felt sad, show officially good

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i'm excited to see what kind of shenanigans the orville crew will get into tonight

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

There's only been 4 episodes and you've seen 3 of them. Still too early to say. I think 4 was a little better than 3. Having the first ship blow up and almost everyone dies kinda made 3 the first episode again where they have to introduce all the characters and their gimmicks, which is always a bit slow. Made worse by half the characters being unlikable assholes.

Nervous roommate and gay chief engineer are better in the 4th episode. Spoiler: rear end in a top hat chief of security dies like an idiot which is probably a good thing.

good because right now i loving hate all of these characters

like, i loving love star trek despite the franchise's best efforts to the contrary and i'm willing to put up with some pretty terrible dialogue, but even in the doldrums of early TNG i don't remember main characters pretty much explaining their motivations to the camera

also jason isaacs needs to be either english or hamming up the yank accent as hard as possible

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

It's real drat sad when a comedy knock off of Star Trek is better than actual Star Trek

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MA-Horus posted:

It's real drat sad when a comedy knock off of Star Trek is better than actual Star Trek

I'm serious when I say it's a knockoff, but it's not really a comedy. Yes there are comedic elements, but it's pretty much Trek if it was about the USS Hood.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Facebook Aunt posted:

"dont worry guys, the show REALLY loving SUCKS for several episodes, but I am sure it'll get better!"

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Yandat posted:

i'm excited to see what kind of shenanigans the orville crew will get into tonight

I wonder if a jar of pickles will need opening.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Tighclops posted:

The Orville gets noticably better by like the third episode, STD hasn't demonstrated the same upswing so far

STD put nipple-clamps on a water bear. I don't now what your standard of upswing specifically is, but its impossibly high if you aren't willing to count tardigrade bdsm.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

is it a bryan fuller prerequisite that the main character be about as interesting as a plank of particularly bland wood

i saw way more of hannibal than i should have and it was an issue in that as well. it also had the issue of having a thin paint-like coating of what appeared to be characters and themes over a core of pretentious trash, like this seems to be

Johnny Aztec posted:

"dont worry guys, the show REALLY loving SUCKS for several episodes, but I am sure it'll get better!"

i liked the pilot double bill

i mean, the characters and dialogue still sucked the big one but it didn't lean on them and gave the impression that it could be a bit of fun.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 12, 2017

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I wonder if a jar of pickles will need opening.

this is the worst thing about the show so far and i can't believe they did it again, and i fully expect it tonight

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm serious when I say it's a knockoff, but it's not really a comedy. Yes there are comedic elements, but it's pretty much Trek if it was about the USS Hood.

If this was actual Star Trek the Orville would be a Miranda, or a Nebula. The crew would look at Galaxies or Sovereigns with lust and jealousy.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MA-Horus posted:

If this was actual Star Trek the Orville would be a Miranda, or a Nebula. The crew would look at Galaxies or Sovereigns with lust and jealousy.

I would have liked to be on a Miranda class :)

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Iron Crowned posted:

Isn't that the one with the sunset wall rather than a full-on holodeck? What is wrong with you. How many times can you jerk off to an ocean sunset vista?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Iron Crowned posted:

Intrepid class for me

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yandat posted:

this is the worst thing about the show so far and i can't believe they did it again, and i fully expect it tonight

If this is the only Family Guy "run a joke into the ground until it isn't funny anymore then just keep doing it hoping it becomes funny again eventually" thing that happens, I'm okay with it.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

MA-Horus posted:

i hope they have an episode where they get hosed and are entirely out of their league and then Planetary Union Picard warps in on a giant flagship and saves them last minute in a deus ex machina

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Zzulu posted:

Nice burn against the Klingons, racist.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The Ferengi use high tech whips.

The humons still love swords.

Romulans use poisons

The vulcans, a thousand year old bad mood enhancer.

The Dominion uses suicide bombers.

Everyone in space uses garbage weapons from days of yore.

Except the Cardassians. The only race advanced enough to have weaponized civil bureaucracy.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

the Cardassians also weaponize jingoism and a facade of norms to mask grandiosity, self-loathing and doubt. Damar, Dukat and Garak are the best science fiction characters ever written

the only Star Trek aliens to have a real developed 'ideology' - the Klingons were just variously scumbags or Honorable Warriors with nostalgia, Romulans are shifty as gently caress oriental stereotypes, etc.

most Star Trek aliens are extremes of human culture to the point of caricature, the Cardassians are parallel to Humanity in their villainy and depth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Facebook Aunt posted:

If this is the only Family Guy "run a joke into the ground until it isn't funny anymore then just keep doing it hoping it becomes funny again eventually" thing that happens, I'm okay with it.

He needs to do it in every single episode, and then in Season 9 Series Finale he hands her an actual jar of pickles.