Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
Honestly though there needs to be a moviegoer campaign to bring back intermissions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjB5gjTEEj8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I really liked Wallace. Tyrell felt like an aging Liberace, while Wallace was like Akhnaten. It was a weird performance but I thought he was kind of fascinating and I wish we'd had more resolution to his arc, it felt like he just kind of disappeared.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

[quote="“VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE”" post="“477308888”"]
That was like, 10 loving minutes in
[/quote]

It's closer to halfway through, but is also only a few lines of dialogue. Also it's Joi asking K, not the other way around.

Unless he means when K first gets the emanator, in which case yeah that is immediately after the opening, is the introduction of both the tech and the relationship, and is one of the more beautiful scenes in the film.

[quote="“Escobarbarian”" post="“477310008”"]
The toilet was right next to the screen entrance and I walked pretty quickly and washed my hands lol. But yeah the parts I saw still made it feel superfluous

Also I don’t wanna be the omg-so-smart guy but isn’t it obvious memory creator is the child as soon as she cries about the horse figure memory and says the thing about the best memories coming from real places? That was too predictable for me.

I dunno it was still a real good movie, I think I had just been lead to expect something truly special and it wasn’t outside of the visuals really. I also kinda wish there had been more scenes on “ground-level” where we see how civilians in this world live. The only one I can think of is the one in the food screen area where Mackenzie Davis etc approach K? The movie did a lot of visual world-building but I personally still felt at a distance from it due to this.
[/quote]

It's a fairly important moment for Joi and K and has some thematic meat to it. Also it's minimally long for the character beats shown.

I thought it was clear who the child was, but a lot of people in this thread though the final reveal came out of nowhere.

Both of K's approaches to his apartment are at ground level, as is the scene you mentioned at the automated bento box restaurant, and the market with the wood dealer. So mostly transitional stuff, like the first film. There just isn't a big ground level set piece like Deckard's first kill from the original, I guess. It didn't diminish how immersive the world was for me.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 12, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nah I meant the scene you were assuming, where they talk about how if it gets destroyed she would be gone forever (which btw when that happens is an amazing moment, poo poo)

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

There's been some discussion of how Luv is a dark reflection of Rachael, but I think she works better as a counterpoint to K.

Like K, Luv is told she is special but embedded in a system that repeatedly exploits her and those around her. While K's experiences lead him to reject the system, Luv is never able to transcend her false consciousness. Instead, her attempts to rectify her unhappiness with her orders lead to increasingly erratic and destructive behavior. She "acts out" through violence because that is the only way she can assert individuality in Blade Runner's caste system.

K dies after accepting that he is mundane but capable of great things. Luv dies screaming that she is special without ultimately achieving anything.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I really liked Wallace. Tyrell felt like an aging Liberace, while Wallace was like Akhnaten. It was a weird performance but I thought he was kind of fascinating and I wish we'd had more resolution to his arc, it felt like he just kind of disappeared.

The "tech savior" is a much more relevant archetype than "cold industrialist" anyway.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Was it one of the theaters that have a small toilet in the back of the screening room itself? And did you sprint to and from the restroom and skip washing your hands? Because that scene is a minute or two long tops.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ubiquitous_ posted:

It just kind of clicked that the Tyrell family name in Game of Thrones... is a Blade Runner reference.

If it wasn't obvious that it's a homage to Blade Runner, their sigil is an owl.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bugblatter posted:

Was it one of the theaters that have a small toilet in the back of the screening room itself? And did you sprint to and from the restroom and skip washing your hands? Because that scene is a minute or two long tops.

The toilet was right next to the screen entrance and I walked pretty quickly and washed my hands lol. But yeah the parts I saw still made it feel superfluous

Also I don’t wanna be the omg-so-smart guy but isn’t it obvious memory creator is the child as soon as she cries about the horse figure memory and says the thing about the best memories coming from real places? That was too predictable for me.

I dunno it was still a real good movie, I think I had just been lead to expect something truly special and it wasn’t outside of the visuals really. I also kinda wish there had been more scenes on “ground-level” where we see how civilians in this world live. The only one I can think of is the one in the food screen area where Mackenzie Davis etc approach K? The movie did a lot of visual world-building but I personally still felt at a distance from it due to this.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Young Freud posted:

I thought Tyrell was the flower sigil?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Saw it again last night and loved it even more a second time. Here's a few things I noticed on the second go-round:

Most of Los Angeles appears to be abandoned. K flies for a long time before he comes across areas that are lit up, and it seems like there is a vast expanse of depopulated urban decay. This is probably another explanation for why there's no one in Las Vegas. Why reclaim a city where it it perfectly safe to live when there's not enough people to need it?

Luv is quickly becoming as interesting a character for me as Joi. I love the scene where she is getting a laser manicure while calling down a predator strike on the scavengers attacking K. The way she gives him poo poo is amazing, because Luv may be the most subservient replicant in the movie but she clearly sees herself as being above other replicants. She makes several references to K being a dog, and she simply sits back and lets him do the job for her. She only becomes active when Wallace directly orders her to retrieve the bones and when K breaks the antenna. She treats K like a human treats a replicant.

The same thing happens with Mariette. "I've been inside you. Not so much there as you think" is a great line because it treats Joi like replicants get treated.

I like the contrast between Deckard and K and how they treat their living spaces. Deckard's is large and full of all the collected detritus of a human life but while he's there he works. K's apartment is small and a little bare but he goes there to relax and actually live.

When K discovers the beehives in Las Vegas, he calls the scan "life" and to get there, the path leads through what? The open legs of a huge female figure.

I liked the construction of Tyrell and Wallace's names. Weird first name vs mundane last name. Eldon Tyrell and Niander Wallace.

I was wrong before about Stelline. Her line is "Someone lived this. This happened" which is way more ambiguous. Since she is only one of Wallace's memory suppliers, the memory could have come from another person but K jumping to the conclusion that the memory must be his is great. Really emphasizes his deviation from the baseline, which is hammered home in the next scene.

I loved that K flies past the dead and lightless husk of the old Tyrell headquarters to get to Wallace's headquarters which are even bigger and elaborate.

The spaceship that Joi sees is definitely a reference to the Sulaco, if not the ship itself.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Bugblatter posted:

I thought it was clear who the child was, but a lot of people in this thread though the final reveal came out of nowhere.

I don't think it came out of nowhere; for me it was like "of course, how did I not see it" because I followed K along the path.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
So, Deckard and Rachel's daughter placed that horse toy memory in every replicant she designed the memories for, right? The hooker replicant recognizes the horse on the bedside table, and the resistance leader implies that it's a shared thing when K finds out he's not The One.

But I'm not sure how much involvement she has in the resistance - is K the first one to ever come to her with the memory? Or did French One-Eyed lady already know about her/already met her?

I think the movie would have been better if K had somehow discovered the truth for himself instead of the exposition coming from this character we barely spend any time with who then plays no further part in the movie. It just seems a bit awkward.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 12, 2017

Serf
May 5, 2011

Also Freysa and Stelline have the same accent. Stelline is in on this whole operation. K is just the first replicant with the means and resources to actually get involved. It figures that a Blade Runner replicant would eventually catch on.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Escobarbarian posted:

I was red herring'd into thinking that she was confirming for him that the memory was real and therefore he was The One etc and they were just both shocked by this.

Bardeh posted:

So, Deckard and Rachel's daughter placed that horse toy memory in every replicant she designed the memories for, right? The hooker replicant recognizes the horse on the bedside table, and the resistance leader implies that it's a shared thing when K finds out he's not The One.

The impression I got was that the replicants got a kind of mix-and-match grab bag of memories. I don't think they say this outright but it felt implied.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

RE bathroom breaks during movies in theaters: Download RunPee. It's an app that tells you the nonessential scenes in movies and how long they last so you have time to duck out and go to the bathroom and not miss anything crucial.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
tbf i think i picked literally the perfect scene for it

also (i can't believe i started this discussion oh my god) i only went then to make sure i wouldn't need to later during more major/third act stuff

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

It's a credit to Gosling's intense performance in that scene that I didn't immediately think of this.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I've been thinking about the lifespan of replicants in this movie. When K goes in for his baseline testing, the operator calls him "Steady K" or something like that which is interesting in the context of him being but not really being the "Chosen One." It sort of gives the sense that maybe he has outlasted other replicant blade runners and that them going AWOL is just considered an inevitability instead of a looming fear. In that case, K basically only survives because his boss is incredibly thirsty.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Sinding Johansson posted:

Honestly though there needs to be a moviegoer campaign to bring back intermissions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjB5gjTEEj8

Aside from the reasons always thrown out (longer movies equals less runs equals less money), I think one hangup that theaters want to avoid is people taking other folk's seats during the intermissions. Plus, folks wondering when the movie is coming back on, etc.

Honestly, we don't need intermissions to come back, studios need to hire someone whose job it is to wield a (clean) flyswatter and apply it to directors who exhibit unacceptable symptoms of auteurism. Like thinking the theatrical cut is the director's cut, blowing the runtime out of proportion.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Young Freud posted:

Their sigil is actually a flower! :)

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Bardeh posted:

The hooker replicant recognizes the horse on the bedside table

She wasn't a replicant.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Max22 posted:

She wasn't a replicant.

Yes she was.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Max22 posted:

She wasn't a replicant.

uh did we watch the same movie?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

RichterIX posted:

I've been thinking about the lifespan of replicants in this movie. When K goes in for his baseline testing, the operator calls him "Steady K" or something like that which is interesting in the context of him being but not really being the "Chosen One." It sort of gives the sense that maybe he has outlasted other replicant blade runners and that them going AWOL is just considered an inevitability instead of a looming fear. In that case, K basically only survives because his boss is incredibly thirsty.
An interesting thing about that "looming fear": no one thinks replicants are dangerous. There's no mention of bloody rebellion. Wallace doesn't fear any disobedience from his ninja factotum. K's neighbours and coworkers don't hesitate to provoke him. His boss wants to gently caress him. She's also genuinely surprised that their latest victim put up a fight. (Sapper is just quietly doing the same thing he'd be doing as an obedient replicant: producing for the corporation in a desolate backwater.)

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 12, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Max22 posted:

She wasn't a replicant.

She grabbed Mariette's arm. "Watch out. He hunts people like us"

"People like us..." Mariette was confused. She looked herself and her friend up and down. "Do you mean he's a blade runner or he's a movie producer?"

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

uh did we watch the same movie?

I thought at the end of the scene where her two replicant co-workers leave her to talk with K outside the brothel, she exits saying he must not like "real girls"? Then later JOI hires her because she wants to be "real" for him (after JOI's already learned that K is "real," which she defined as being born)?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Max22 posted:

I thought at the end of the scene where her two replicant co-workers leave her to talk with K outside the brothel, she exits saying he must not like "real girls"? Then later JOI hires her because she wants to be "real" for him (after JOI's already learned that K is "real," which she defined as being born)?

Replicants think of JOI as being less real the same way humans think of replicants as less real. Real in this context merely means material existence.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Max22 posted:

The point is that replicants are real people.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Max22 posted:

yeah I think you need to rewatch because the entire point of the film went right over your head

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Max22 posted:

Joi got jealous and made her notification sound while she was talking to K. That is when she says the line about real girls because she sees he has a hologram girlfriend.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Funny enough, I thought she said "you don't like ro-girls", which made me think I misheard it, or they were doing a little worldbuilding by inventing a phrase for pleasure-model lady replicants, or both.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

I took it much less poetically: Wallace is blind because he lacks vision. He does not see or care about the consequences of his actions and this failure makes him a shadow of Tyrell.

His affliction also makes him look extremely inhuman in a movie largely composed of very human replicants and computer programs.

The gnosticism interpretation wouldn't be outside the realms of possibility, given Wallace's god complex.

Tyrell had imperfect vision.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

From WAAAY back in the thread but...

3Romeo posted:

It feels like every frame has something thoughtful or unique and the film isn't afraid to linger on those things to give you time to take them in. This was a loving great movie that was restrained in all the right ways. It's long and it feels that way but that isn't a bad thing. I came out of it feeling like I'd just spent a day in an art museum.

I know it's cliche to call something "a work of art" but this is how I felt too, not just because of the aesthetic and thematic qualities but the editing and cinematography created a tangible sense of physical space, like you're actually walking through the sets in real time with the characters. I'm glad so many shots lingered because it's like being in an art museum and wanting to stay just a little bit longer in a certain spot, or just taking your time working your way through the museum, wishing it would never close.

Looten Plunder posted:

This scene was one example of my gripes with the movie. It's all good and well that there was no hand holding flashbacks but I also didn't need to see him take every single step as he walked through the same areas that we had seen in his dream 20 minutes earlier. I don't need Ryan Gosling to spend 30 seconds staring at a metal grate when we know exactly what is in there.

This part of Stuckman's review kind of echo's it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6eRA8PnuW4

I'm really glad they didn't cut that scene down, it really drove home how uncanny it would feel to be in that exact situation and made it feel that much more real.

Maxwell Lord posted:

On top of which the prologue references multiple rebellions so this may be some kind of twisted political "compromise" that got passed. "Okay, you can earn money and be consumers and theoretically do things but still we reserve the right to kill you if you step out of line."

:capitalism:

Blade Runner posted:

If you've read The Little Prince, I think that Joi's plot can be seen as similar to that. She's a rose just like any other rose, but it's the time that K spent with her and the love that he felt for her that made her special to him, and ultimately real, regardless of her programming. Giant Joi is just the scene with the field of roses, to me; she's beautiful, but nobody could die for her. It shows off that while there may be a million other versions of the person he loves, she'll always be the one that mattered to him. I could definitely see the interpretation that it was hammering home that he wasn't special, and even the only being that really loved him only did so because it was manufactured to do so, but K's plot as a whole is already immensely depressing. Let him have his dead holo girlfriend's love, at least.

I wasn't sure what to think about Joi, and I was leaning in the other direction, but you've convinced me.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Serf posted:

The point is that replicants are real people.
No, they're made to suffer. It's their lot in life.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

He's also more boring as a person. After about 15 seconds of pontificating about angels from Wallace, I longed for the frank logistics of Tyrell. In the end, Tyrell was a monster, but a practical one. Wallace is the new wave of the techbro, self important monsters who believe themselves to be the new saviors of the universe.

I was just thinking the same the other day. He isn't really inventing anything new, just good press and a devaluation of labor. Also got a jonesing for star travel.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MisterBibs posted:

Funny enough, I thought she said "you don't like ro-girls", which made me think I misheard it, or they were doing a little worldbuilding by inventing a phrase for pleasure-model lady replicants, or both.

Yeah, this is actually what I heard too, but I need to rewatch in a less poo poo theater.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I'm really glad they didn't cut that scene down, it really drove home how uncanny it would feel to be in that exact situation and made it feel that much more real.

Agreed. The extent to which it helped sell the fakeout really can't be measured.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Tyrell's interests, from chess to robooots, where shown in the original, his desires easily seen, making him very human.

Wallace bloviated and gave insufferable speeches while inhumanly dispatching his creations.

I think the movie was implicitly judging him, damning him by a lack of interest due to his inhumanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

“Deadulus” posted:

Joi got jealous and made her notification sound while she was talking to K. That is when she says the line about real girls because she sees he has a hologram girlfriend.

Ahhh, that makes total sense. Thanks for clarifying instead of assuming I don't know how to watch movies or something

• Locked thread