Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Komet posted:

For what reason? Franklin got an extension last season through 2022 and he's already one of the highest paid coaches in college football.

Saban makes even more and that doesn't stop him from leaking interest in texas every time it opens so he can get another raise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

The other theory is A&M leaked ahead of James Franklin going down to Texas for two 2019 recruits.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That isn't how that works

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Komet posted:

For what reason? Franklin got an extension last season through 2022 and he's already one of the highest paid coaches in college football.

Because they know your child rape enabling school cares more about winning football than anything and has deeper pockets and will pay him more.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Maybe one of the powers that be was looking for the source of an information leak so he did the thing where you give everybody you suspect contradictory information and see which version comes out. Tell booster A "keep this on the down low but we're looking at what it would take to get James Franklin", and tell another you're looking at Dan Mullen, and another you're looking at Mike Gundy, etc. Like in Game of Thrones.

edit: a "canary trap", that's what it's called

General Dog fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 12, 2017

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

It doesn't make sense for there to be interest from either side, so that's also possible. It's also curious that something like this would leak so early in the season, on a bye week before a big game for Penn State. Most of these types of rumors come out in November-December. The wording of the article is interesting in that A&M is only interested if Sumlin is fired. His seat might be warm (not Butch Jones hot), but he's 4-2 with at least a non terrible loss to Alabama. Could this be an A&M leak as a message to Sumlin?

There's also this take: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/10/12/16465354/james-franklin-texas-a-m-coach-search-rumors

Komet fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 13, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Komet posted:

It doesn't make sense for there to be interest from either side, so that's also possible. It's also curious that something like this would leak so early in the season, on a bye week before a big game for Penn State. Most of these types of rumors come out in November-December. The wording of the article is interesting in that A&M is only interested if Sumlin is fired. His seat might be warm (not Butch Jones hot), but he's 4-2 with at least a non terrible loss to Alabama. Could this be an A&M leak as a message to Sumlin?

There's also this take: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/10/12/16465354/james-franklin-texas-a-m-coach-search-rumors

I think Sumlin knows where he stands already, he's received shots across the bow far more direct than this over the past few months.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 13, 2017

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Aggy: mediocre in the Big 12, shocked when they continue to be mediocre in SEC.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Randaconda posted:

Aggy: mediocre in the Big 12, shocked when they continue to be mediocre in SEC.

Yeah, but now they're part of the SEC, which is better because *checks notes* reasons.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Money
Stability
Media exposure

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

General Dog posted:

Maybe one of the powers that be was looking for the source of an information leak so he did the thing where you give everybody you suspect contradictory information and see which version comes out. Tell booster A "keep this on the down low but we're looking at what it would take to get James Franklin", and tell another you're looking at Dan Mullen, and another you're looking at Mike Gundy, etc. Like in Game of Thrones.

edit: a "canary trap", that's what it's called

Daniek Stern did that to the owners in the NBA right before he retired. Sent a notice to each team with slightly different wording.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Here's TCU's history of coaches, which is a comedy of error of mediocrity from the mid 1950s until the late 90s. There was no middle ground between "garbage" and "you're here FOREVER":

Dutch Meyer (1935-1952): He got the school their natties. He eventually retired to become the AD.

Abe Martin (1953-1966): One SWC championship in 1959 before the dark years.

Fred Taylor (1967-1970): Fired for going 15-25-1.

Jim Pittman (1971): He actually showed promise before he had a heart attack on the sidelines and died during a game against Baylor!

Billy Tohill (1971-1973): He nearly died in 1972, but then was fired a year or so later after going 11-15. Fun fact! He was Dabo Swinney's high school coach!

Jim Shofner (1974-1976): Shofner went loving 2-31 before somehow finding success in the NFL. He resigned before he could be fired.

F.A. Dry (1977-1982): Fired after going 12-51-3.

Jim Wacker (1983-1991): Showed promise before it was revealed that TCU was essentially a Pony Express-light style shitshow behind the scenes, but without the on-field success. They suffered through 3 years of probation before delivering a :siren:WINNING SEASON:siren: before leaving to coach Minnesota. Overall record of 40-58-2.

Pat Sullivan (1992-1997): Went 24-42-1, resigned for sucking hard in the WAC.

Dennis Franchione (1998-2000): Coasted on LT's success before bailing to Alabama, which caused TCU to have to rely on some defensive nobody named Gary Patterson in their bowl game that year. 25-10.

Overall, 3 coaches were fired, 2 resignations, 1 death, 2 transitions, and 3 god-emperors.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

There's this from 3 minutes ago:

https://twitter.com/coachjfranklin/status/918813757094223872

:shrug:

I'll just blame Jay Paterno

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/CecilHurt/status/918554039243206656

Sexton isn't Franklin's agent but this is exactly what it is. It's agents stirring up bullshit, nothing more or less.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

He isn’t going anywhere, but it’s exactly what any coach would say if they were

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Komet posted:

There's this from 3 minutes ago:

https://twitter.com/coachjfranklin/status/918813757094223872

:shrug:

I'll just blame Jay Paterno

I don't get what he's trying to say here

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I interpreted it like this: He grew up in PA and is successful at the school, so why would he want to leave?

Of course anything a coach says is meaningless, especially with a piece of human garbage like Franklin.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Joey Freshwater posted:

I don't get what he's trying to say here

He's saying people are leaking misinformation to create drama and create doubt for recruits. The list is three reasons that he wouldn't leave Penn State.

The way the initial report is phrased (Penn State officials brace for A&M to make a run) makes me think his source isn't even anybody associated with A&M.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I read Franklin and Sumlin have the same agent, but if it's the agent leaking, I'm not sure why he'd want to promote Franklin while creating a "if he's fired" sort of pressure on another client.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

He's saying people are leaking misinformation to create drama and create doubt for recruits. The list is three reasons that he wouldn't leave Penn State.

The way the initial report is phrased (Penn State officials brace for A&M to make a run) makes me think his source isn't even anybody associated with A&M.

Thanks, I didn't get what the list was because #1 would be enough to make me want to leave.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

To be fair to Pennsylvania: it's not Ohio.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Komet posted:

OTOH you're out-scoring Ohio 1-0 in "state schools that both enabled and covered up decades of child rape" so....

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Komet posted:

Pennsylvania has decent places like ____

and also ____

and who could forget ____

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ohio also gave us Skyline "Chili".

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Don’t act like Philly isn’t a rad place

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Pennsylvania is an objectively better place than Ohio. Ohio is miserable.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

DJExile posted:

OTOH you're out-scoring Ohio 1-0 in "state schools that both enabled and covered up decades of child rape" so....

Steubenville (?)

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

DJExile posted:

I've really enjoyed the strong uptick of lovely 2011 jokes this year

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
"jokes"

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Roasted Donut posted:

I've really enjoyed the strong uptick of lovely 2011 jokes this year

This scandal is so young even Jerry Sandusky wouldn't gently caress it yet. It ain't going away for a long time.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

This scandal is so young even Jerry Sandusky wouldn't gently caress it yet. It ain't going away for a long time.

I'm pretty sure 6 years would not be off the table.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

So is Butch Jones fired yet

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Roasted Donut posted:

I'm pretty sure 6 years would not be off the table.

:staredog:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

KKKLIP ART posted:

Don’t act like Philly isn’t a rad place

Philly doesn't exist culturally, it's kind of weird

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What’s the argument again for not firing coaches mid season?

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Bad for recruiting?

Also bad for recruiting, IMO: Bad coach Butch Jones. I do not want him coaching at UT this is my mild take

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

Bad for recruiting?

Also bad for recruiting, IMO: Bad coach Butch Jones. I do not want him coaching at UT this is my mild take

Is it really that bad for recruiting? Especially when a four star decommits right after the loss today.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well that’s why I feel like you fire and hire the new guy ASAP. There’s going to be attrition but the hope is the new guy keeps the kids that are going there because they want to go to the school, not because of any specific coach. Then he also has time to build up his own class.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

swickles posted:

Is it really that bad for recruiting? Especially when a four star decommits right after the loss today.

Yep. Having Jones finish out the season is awful for recruiting. Everyone knows he is finished, so why would a recruit commit to him. Also firing him now gives you head start on hiring a new coach before other schools.

My biggest worry is Jones makes it to a bowl game and beats another Big 10 team. He then fires his OC to show the university that change is coming and they give him another year. If that happens expect several transfers, and a depleted roster for the 2019 coach.

Fire him now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I want the wild ride

• Locked thread